Infinite Weapon Durability

boboliontamer

So it's basically confirmed that weapons have infinite uses in at least one version of the game. I don't really like this, and also can't really see IS completely getting rid of something that has been a part of the entire series.

I was thinking that either weapons will have infinite uses on casual mode or easy mode, or it will be a feature exclusive to one of the game's versions. Then on higher difficulties or classic mode, weapons will have a set number of uses again. Thoguhts?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I'm pretty sure there's limited uses. From what I can see only the dragonstone has unlimited use.

tumblr_inline_nm8qnlNMUw1t9uwok_540.jpg

Notice the red/green box around the sword icon. Notice how the green bar is low.

tumblr_inline_nm8qo36dvm1t9uwok_540.jpg

Now notice how the green bar is all the way up. This is most likely just the way of showing the weapons usage in this game.

I think the colors are more likely to represent weapon triangle advantage than durability. Note that there are also blue.

I didn't notice the blue before but it definitely looks like there's some sort of blue there. I guess that would make more sense but if it's true then it's kinda disappointing to take away durability.

I think that the green box represents weapon durability. Perhaps they are pulling a Berwick Saga and bringing in a durability cycle? Maybe weapon repair is back? Honestly, I don't understand why one wouldn't be able to bring in a broken sword or axe and get it repaired by a blacksmith.

Then again, if weapon repair is back I don't know how one would "realistically" fix tomes or staves..

I don't understand how the green vs red boxes would represent the weapon triangle. As you can see the player is only selecting Kamui; Kamui is not engaging a foe. Why would the red box appear, showing a weapon disadvantage, when the character is only traversing the map?

To further my point, look at the screenshot with the enemy thief archer. It shows that his bow has an entirely green box behind it. Bows have no advantage over swords and any other weapon type. Why would the archer have an advantage when he can't even counterattack?

Edited by Leif

Maybe they moved durability to the stats screen, where they show might, range, weight etc?

If not then money management is going to be ridiculously easy.

Edited by saifors

I don't understand how the green vs red boxes would represent the weapon triangle. As you can see the player is only selecting Kamui; Kamui is not engaging a foe. Why would the red box appear, showing a weapon disadvantage, when the character is only traversing the map?

To show what kind of weapon it is. Rinka's axe uses a green box, above a blue bar, meaning srong against lances. The sword has a red box above a green bar to show it is strong against axes, which have a green background.

Edited by L95

To show what kind of weapon it is. Rinka's axe uses a green box, above a blue bar, meaning srong against lances. The sword has a red box above a green bar to show it is strong against axes, which have a green background.

Then why does the enemy thief archer have an entirely green box around his bow? Bows have no real advantage other than avoiding getting counterattacked and knocking down flying units.

I truly hope durability isn't gone...

If IS has gone premium casual im gonna cry so much to see marriage, unlimited weapons, and level grinding a new staple of the series...

Then why does the enemy thief archer have an entirely green box around his bow? Bows have no real advantage other than avoiding getting counterattacked and knocking down flying units.

Not entirely true in the first trailer a sword had an advantage over the bow. Edited by Red Fox of Fire

I truly hope durability isn't gone...

If IS has gone premium casual im gonna cry so much to see marriage, unlimited weapons, and level grinding a new staple of the series...

I truly believe that durability is still there, but in a different form. Gold would be used to, perhaps, repair weapons, upgrade to better weapons versions, etc.

If the bow did have an advantage over a sword, then we would have to check to see what color box the sword had when engaging that enemy.

Edited by Leif

Jan_006.jpg

It doesn't have an entirely green box around the bow. It has blue on the bottom.

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Jan_006.jpg

The sword has a green bar on the bottom, and the bow has a green background. The bow is weak to the sword here.

Why they would use red and green boxes to show durability instead of the numbers is beyond me...

Pretty much this.

Not that I'm against the concept of Infinite Durability, that's mean they have an idea, and I'm interested in it.

The concept of boxes is very strange to me, why using it, when you could use the usual upward/downward arrow ? And why showing the boxes in the inventory ?

Maybe it have something to do with the losing armors mechanic ?

It doesn't have an entirely green box around the bow. It has blue on the bottom.

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/uploads/2015/01/Jan_006.jpg

The sword has a green bar on the bottom, and the bow has a green background. The bow is weak to the sword here.

I see that, but why does the bow have the same box colors that Rinka's mace does? This doesn't make sense. Unless they are introducing a new color coding scheme for weapon triangles, I HIGHLY doubt they will remove weapon durability. It's a core aspect to Fire Emblem. It would be like getting rid of collecting gym badges in Pokemon.

Why would we need to collect gold? The Japanese website for Fire Emblem IF states that the Hoshido path will have more gold available where the Nohr path has fewer. What would gold be used for? The bulk of money spent in Fire Emblem is forging and buying new weapons!

Edited by Leif

Weight and Con were core systems of Fire Emblem and look where we are now. I agree that the colored boxes represent weapon advantages. I can see two possibilities:

- Different bows have different colors, meaning they are weak / strong against different weapon classes.

- Weapons in the same class can have different color boxes, meaning you can have a sword that is good against axes and another that is good against lances.

There might be a degree of WTA or it could be a function of both. What we do know is that the coloring of the boxes across all weapons is not consistent with any flat interpretation. A full green/little blue bow could mean he has a lot (or little) durability left. Or it could mean he is heavily (or hardly) punished by the opposing color.

Another possibility is that higher-level/special weapons like Silver/Killer/Brave etc. will have limited use, but things like Bronze/Iron or low level weapons in general can be used infinitely.

Consider this:

1) Its just a trailer (the very first one at that) and while alot of the game is done some of the shown footage could have just been early development scenes or runs

2) The only full weapon/stat screens we see is of Kamui and an enemey so its possible that Kamui has the legendary weapons of this game like Chroms Falchion. As for the enemy they could have just decided to give their weapons unlimited durability for standard weapons since they wont last long anyways (that could be a problem on lunatic though).

3) It could be a ultra easy game setting or part of the optional "casual mode" if there is one in this game.

Another possibility is that higher-level/special weapons like Silver/Killer/Brave etc. will have limited use, but things like Bronze/Iron or low level weapons in general can be used infinitely.

Honestly, this is how I see it happening if durability is kept. though instead of it being by rank, it'd be if the weapon does anything special like the Killer and Brave weapons, along with any specifically named weapons that make an appearance. (Kamui's specific sword, and possibly Dragonstone, excluded of course)

As for why the bow is apparently part of the triangle, it's possible tomes may also be part of the triangle, or we may have another sword that can have a range of 2. Just remember it went from just weapons to color, we don't know everything included in it. Right now, we just know Dragonstones aren't part of the color triangle.

Edited by Ryan50

This could just be wishful thinking, but maybe enemies just don't have displayed weapon uses anymore like in FE4? We've only seen Kamui's two weapons and the enemy weapons right?

http://serenesforest.net/wp-content/gallery/january-2015-nintendo-direct/Jan_008.jpg

Based off this image, there isn't durability. In Awakening, durability would be shown to the right of the weapon name while you were still on the overworld/map, and well, both of their weapons lack durability.

Edited by Ryan50

I was thinking that probably the color does represent durability. Not the traditional it will break after a certain amount of times, but it will just gradually get weaker. And for the colors red, green, blue? They kind of reminded me of how the units health bars are: where around 20ish makes it yellow, 40ish green, 60ish is blue. Oh, looking again at the screenshots, there's no real clear-cut color pattern. Still maybe the gradually getting weaker idea might be a mechanic. Then again: filthy casual mode.