• Mamui
    • Kamister
    • Kamui (M) - this actually renders properly on Skype
    • KamuiM
    • Kamui-kun
    • M!Kamui / MKamui
    • maMU

STORYTIME, SF!

So way back in the good old days of "like two years ago" we had this amazing shorthand for the male and female avatars in FE13 - feMU and maMU the predominant picks.

Fast forward to the present day, and we're faced with a conundrum. What do we call the male and female Kamuis? feKamui and maKamui both sound pretty bad...

[spoiler=some background info]

[4/4/15, 1:43:27 AM] Euklyd: [some people were talking] about how fekamui is the prettiest so far
[4/4/15, 1:43:49 AM] zahlman: can I just say
[4/4/15, 1:43:55 AM] zahlman: "fekamui" sounds fucking terrible
[4/4/15, 1:43:59 AM] Euklyd: yeah it does
[4/4/15, 1:44:04 AM] Euklyd: Im just lazy as fuck
[4/4/15, 1:44:10 AM] Euklyd: and
[4/4/15, 1:44:14 AM] zahlman: "makamui" doesnt sound much better, even
[4/4/15, 1:44:15 AM] Euklyd: kamui (f) doesnt render at all [on skype]
( "(f)" renders as PfRAB0B.gif on skype )

SO IN OUR HOUR OF NEED, I TURN TO YOU, THE HONORABLE MEMBERS OF SERENES FOREST DOT NET

What is your preferred shorthand for "male Kamui" and "female Kamui"? If your preferred option is not in the poll, let me know, and I'll add it.

(Rationales are preferred, but not required by any means.)

Note: This is a serious thread, and I would appreciate it if people treated it as such. QlCAreC.gif

Edited by Euklyd

I personally lean towards Femui and Mamui, for the reasons as Lumi. Also they at least sound okay.

HALF POKE'-MANAKETE CHAN!!

Is "half Poke'-Makakete-chan" / "half Poke'-Makakete-kun" a suggestion? I can't tell.

And @eclipse - added.

Kamui-chan / Kamui-kun could possibly work, but can see why it would be clunky to some people. Plus the game itself might not use this the formal ending in the japanese game seeing as the character is royalty. For me though, just using the options above, I would prefer KamuiM and KamuiF. It otherwise loses half the character's name and I'd feel like "who's that again? Oh yeah".

Kamui-chan / Kamui-kun could possibly work, but can see why it would be clunky to some people. Plus the game itself might not use this the formal ending in the japanese game seeing as the character is royalty. For me though, just using the options above, I would prefer KamuiM and KamuiF. It otherwise loses half the character's name and I'd feel like "who's that again? Oh yeah".

I mean

if you'd prefer "kamui-chan" / "kamui-kun" I can definitely add those to the poll

in fact I'll do that right now ヽ( ᐛ )ノ

All hail my Femui and Mamui or Kamiss and Kamister shorthand!

I actually did consider Femui before you suggested it

but decided against it because I thought Mamui looked silly

Is reaching a consensus necessary? I'm sure that all of us will know what the other person is talking about if they use any of these.

...I really like the -kun/-chan honorific, I must say. /weeaboo

I think I thought up of Mamui first in the IPC, but meh, it might be universally termed as Mamui for all FE:if players. I kinda wonder if they'll change his name in the NA localization. Otherwise, Mamui is the most comfortable term for Male Kamui.

Really, MaMU and FeMU were simply for eugenics purposes in Awakening, so unless children return in the same fashion as in Awakening, it would be rather redundant. We could just refer to both of them as Kamui as it wouldn't matter either way, and if you were talking about S supports and such, it could be infered through context. If you really wanted to specify, you still could.

Wait, why does it have to change? MaMU and FeMU stand for "My Unit," correct? And this is still an Avatar character. We should be able to just keep saying the same thing, as long as the context of the thread shows we're talking about FE:If.

...with that said, I like Femui and Mamui--if we had to have one of those :P.

Wait, why does it have to change? MaMU and FeMU stand for "My Unit," correct? And this is still an Avatar character. We should be able to just keep saying the same thing, as long as the context of the thread shows we're talking about FE:If.

...with that said, I like Femui and Mamui--if we had to have one of those :P.

Is reaching a consensus necessary? I'm sure that all of us will know what the other person is talking about if they use any of these.

I don't think the thread is about reaching a consensus or forcing a change? It's just asking what do YOU use for the Kamuis.

None of them, since "Kamui" will probably be changed in localisation to something else.

Maybe not. Because of the setting, I can't really imagine the Japanese names for the Hoshidans changed, and since Kamui is Hoshidan...

I usually say FKamui or MKamui, like I do with Morgan, but those aren't options so I put KamuiF and KamuiM

I'll probably just call them M!Kamui and F!Kamui like I did with Robin.

I'm gonna add these as a single option I guess

while a consensus would be nice, there's no way anyone should expect people to all adopt one name, so that's not what I was looking for

this was both a poll (hey guys what do you do) and also my explanation in the OP, which was "hey I want a good name to call them, got any ideas"

Really, MaMU and FeMU were simply for eugenics purposes in Awakening, so unless children return in the same fashion as in Awakening, it would be rather redundant. We could just refer to both of them as Kamui as it wouldn't matter either way, and if you were talking about S supports and such, it could be inferred through context. If you really wanted to specify, you still could.

I mean

I did eugenics as much as anyone and I can still tell you that's simply not the case

people talk about them as different characters, as they should; in FE13 supports, for example, the two have rather different personalities