Game concept I've had for awhile

Jedi

For quite a number of years I've had a video game concept in my mind for the longest time.

Name pending.

The concept of this game, is that there is a kingdom known as Chrisagrim. It's thrived since its founding through many toils and kings, its a more island nation, however said Island is quite huge.

Anyways, the current King reports to his Ranger divison captain (our protagonist) Zevain, a 28ish year old indivdual, with red hair and yellowish eyes who wields a bladed bow, that his daughter the princess, heir to the throne has been kidnapped (CLICHE BUT WAIT).

Zevain gathers allies to make the attempt to save the princess, among them is Dio a squire who looks up to Zevain, who he sees as a younger brother. Clara, one of the kings personal guard and spies, Aeneas a small town blacksmith who is an elder member of the kingdom once retired, owes the king a debt. A small contengent of the army follows beside them.

This is the basic start of the story, as it goes along they meet some more important characters, such as Delilah, the Dark Swan, once regarded as a witch, who is an able tactician that joins Zevain after trials in the swamp. Gregorovich a mercenary looking to put his axe to better use, Raynor the Wild, a fearsome warrior who puts honor and bravery above everything, and many more.

The true plot begins when the Princess is actually rescued. Which our heroes find too late is a succession scheme. In the dead of night the King is slain and Zevain is blamed for it, unable to deny the aliogations, Zevain leaves in the face of former friends, depending on if he swayed the others to be loyal to him in the Princess quest, he may find them again as allies in his revolution to bring the kingdom back to how he feels it should be. The now Queen, has questionable methods, however the people are absolutely torn. The Kingdom was in a sadder state then many realized and the newer policies seem to be helping in some ways, but the kingdom due to this sudden assassination is now torn assunder, from the plot of this rebellious princess and her outside help

Many characters will live and die by the blade, choices determine story paths, how Zevain, Dio and later Zevain's Daughter as well influence the army they build and how they will try to make Chrisagrim once they (if they) succeed in taking the kingdom.

The gameplay I've never been sure about, either something akin to Ogre Battle or that of a mixture of action game with RPG. It's a hard choice and I felt, even with this small overview (I have a whole journal filled with story and character ideas/plotlines etc). I'd see what you all think

Edited by Jedi

I'll be honest with you, I think it could be an interesting RPG that provides more optionsarrow-10x10.png then it originally gives you, with importance based on choice, which seems to be pretty popular.I love branching stories as well.

Some nice, morally-grey characters could help keep things interesting too. As well as fittingarrow-10x10.png with the theme.

Of course, I don't know much about this type of thing, but still.

And yesarrow-10x10.png, it would fit well as a RPG.

I was thinking perhaps a more tactics based RPG or something akin to a hack n slash but with LOADS more tactics and thought put into fights.

if you have no idea what the gameplay would be like why not write a book

EDIT: IN RETROSPECT this looks kind of snippish by itself so i'll elaborate:

if you're gonna make a game there's a lot more to it than just saying how it WILL STAND OUT because you'll have so much depth and choice and freedom and etc. you have to get stuck in with the gameplay early and stick to it if you want something that's not just a derivative product. if you don't have gameplay ideas, you have a mad swole journal full of story ideas and shit, why not just fuck the video game idea and go write?

Edited by Integrity

Well I liked the concept, looks like stuff I usually try to write about. Anyways, in my opinion this can be used in many genres of gameplay, but the one I think it fits better would be something close to a hack'n'slash/action-RPG hybrid with tactics elements, as the use of some kind of tactical screen.

The Tactics screen could be used both before as in mid battle and would be used to plan or alter routes for your units, which could be divided into battalions/divisions before the battle in this same screen.

I feel like for a game that revolves around recruiting people SRPG makes more sense than RPG / action

since those generally have far more limited party options

edit: not really "revolves" but you do mention it several times

Edited by Euklyd

if you have no idea what the gameplay would be like why not write a bookEDIT: IN RETROSPECT this looks kind of snippish by itself so i'll elaborate:if you're gonna make a game there's a lot more to it than just saying how it WILL STAND OUT because you'll have so much depth and choice and freedom and etc. you have to get stuck in with the gameplay early and stick to it if you want something that's not just a derivative product. if you don't have gameplay ideas, you have a mad swole journal full of story ideas and shit, why not just fuck the video game idea and go write?

Well I've had the ideas of an SRPG or Tactical Hack N Slash. With a book.. I'm not entirely sure I could do exactly what I wanted, but I'll keep it in consideration.

Well I liked the concept, looks like stuff I usually try to write about. Anyways, in my opinion this can be used in many genres of gameplay, but the one I think it fits better would be something close to a hack'n'slash/action-RPG hybrid with tactics elements, as the use of some kind of tactical screen.

The Tactics screen could be used both before as in mid battle and would be used to plan or alter routes for your units, which could be divided into battalions/divisions before the battle in this same screen.

That would be pretty cool, if I did go that route.

Looks like a kind of story FE might do.

If you can't make it into a game, I support Integrity's idea, you can also make it a book.

I owe a small part of inspiration to Fe4 but that's about it in terms of FE.

I feel like for a game that revolves around recruiting people SRPG makes more sense than RPG / actionsince those generally have far more limited party optionsedit: not really "revolves" but you do mention it several times

That does make a fair bit of sense, but you also have games like radiata stories.

that's less a game concept and more a story concept. games start with gameplay, pretty much always. if you have a story first and then try to mold your gameplay around it, the product will probably not be very rich. if anything, i think a pre-prompted storyline should be adapted to gameplay. i can agree with integrity there, why not just write a book, or a nouvelle, or whatever? it doesn't sound like you'd be making many sacrifices narrative-wise, so you could always try!

can't say much more than that. as for the plot itself i can't say i'm too interested but i can see the appeal.

Edited by fuccboi

that's less a game concept and more a story concept. games start with gameplay, pretty much always. if you have a story first and then try to mold your gameplay around it, the product will probably not be very rich. if anything, i think a pre-prompted storyline should be adapted to gameplay. i can agree with integrity there, why not just write a book, or a nouvelle, or whatever? it doesn't sound like you'd be making many sacrifices narrative-wise, so you could always try!

can't say much more than that. as for the plot itself i can't say i'm too interested but i can see the appeal.

Wise words, it may not be rich if I thought of the concept first then tried to put gameplay, although I can see a more game like world around it, I've just always lacked the means to actually mold it. I've had a fair number of other game concepts too but it was the gameplay that came to mind first for those as opposed to this. I'm just not sure what to do with it all.

Perhaps I should try the book route, but I doubt I'd manage to do it that well without some kind of super visual.. I tend to get a tad too wordy and flowery with stories and as we know this isn't always good.. (looks at Eragon)

some kind of super visual..

or a nouvelle,

not a big fan of them myself but there's always a route to combine those two ;)

Edited by Integrity

not a big fan of them myself but there's always a route to combine those two ;)

Of course, but then it wouldn't be taken as seriously I'd think. Visual Novels have a bit of a.. reputation these days.

IMO the background/synopsis seems interesting. Since I know you played Live a Live, I wonder if you were inspired by the medieval chapter. I mean, there are plenty of differences, so it's not just a copy or something, but certain elements remind me of LaL...

IMO the background/synopsis seems interesting. Since I know you played Live a Live, I wonder if you were inspired by the medieval chapter. I mean, there are plenty of differences, so it's not just a copy or something, but certain elements remind me of LaL...

Thanks! Funny enough, this was conceptualized before I had even learned about LaL, I can see the parallels you are drawing though.

Sounds like it could be a good Bioware RPG. Loved KOTOR and Mass Effect.

That's a compliment! I like those games quite a bit. Thanks, I'm still unsure what I'm gonna do with all this info sadly haha.