Takeru's Quote Unquote "Attempt"

NamelessParasite

Well, I joined these forums to make progress with my work... might as well make some progress-

This is my OC, Takeru. I've been spriting for over three years, so I guess I kind of have the skill.

Criticism appreciated, because I'm working on his sprite sheet and I'm in desperate need of advice on how to git gud.

post-14497-0-91098100-1428234720.png

That's about it. I'll probably make some other shameless splices original pixel art when the time comes. In the meantime, here's to a newbie's acquisition!...

If it's his hair showing through, it's horribly misshaded. :V

The head looks kind of huge, to me. He has almost as much space above his eyes as he does below them and to his chin, so it could just as easily be my current exhaustion preventing me from understanding it.

That white area on his head, is it part of his bandanna or is it ripped showing his hair underneath?

It's a bunch of streak-thingies on his bandanna. So, it's not his hair--

If it's his hair showing through, it's horribly misshaded. :V

The head looks kind of huge, to me. He has almost as much space above his eyes as he does below them and to his chin, so it could just as easily be my current exhaustion preventing me from understanding it.

Hm... well, I guess I didn't put the bandanna down to where it may seem he's wearing it tightly and stuff. You have a point, kinda looks like there's a space filled with nothing at the top. Thanks.

Hey, cool OC. I like the black and white with blue color palette. To make it feel more FE style you could grab colors from the vanilla sprites and make sure to completely outline the sprite with the darkest purple color. It's especially noticeable in his hair, it'd benefit from being outlined.

Another thing is that the shading feels a bit underdone. Like on his face, the hair should be casting a shadow around the pieces but there's nothing and it looks kind of glowy because of that. You see the same problem where his shirt touches his neck. I can agree with the bandana making his head look kind of big as well ^^

Oh and I think you could differentiate the hair and streak color more, or shade the streak on the bandana differently. It is shaded similarly to hair at the moment :o

His head is a little too tall. you should probably shrink the height of the bandana. At the moment I'm getting a Roger the Alien from American dad vibe from his head.

This made my day. xD

Thank you, it's been mentioned before. I'll head straight to work as soon as possible.

Hey, cool OC. I like the black and white with blue color palette. To make it feel more FE style you could grab colors from the vanilla sprites and make sure to completely outline the sprite with the darkest purple color. It's especially noticeable in his hair, it'd benefit from being outlined.

Another thing is that the shading feels a bit underdone. Like on his face, the hair should be casting a shadow around the pieces but there's nothing and it looks kind of glowy because of that. You see the same problem where his shirt touches his neck. I can agree with the bandana making his head look kind of big as well ^^

Oh and I think you could differentiate the hair and streak color more, or shade the streak on the bandana differently. It is shaded similarly to hair at the moment :o

I wanted to take a more realistic approach with the GBA portrait style, seeing as it improved overtime with Sacred Stones making it darker and all that. But hey, I got the idea.

...Huh. I didn't notice the shading issue. I can kind of see it now. Man, I just keep making mishaps-