Are you for customs or against them?

DreadFighter

No one made a topic like this so here we go. I'm all for them to make the game have more replayability and more Match Up depth. I can accept the few annoying characters with them so some others get needed buffs. But I still hate custom Villager lol.

Edited by Le FalconDorfMaster

I'm totally for custom moves. Some characters I use a lot, such as Ike, are much better with customs. Equipment is no, unless it's just to have fun and mess around. xP

Hell no, there some broken as hell customs. Games already unbalanced, 400+ custom moves makes that balance worse.

If any of you have played custom Shiek, Rosalina, or Pikachu in a tourney setting you'd know.

when pimped out custom sheiks / rosalinas / pikachus still lose to vanilla diddy kong I'm failing to see the issue here

if customs overcentralize the meta or whatever the fuck, then we can talk about banning them
but currently talk about banning customs is essentially no different than
"holy shit little mac gets armor all over the place; bring out the banhammer"

customs are nice and all, but there are too many issues with them for me. firstly, they have to be unlocked through an incredibly dumb and monotonous process. after this, some are just wonky and weird. this may or may not be affected by bias, but stuff like donkey kong's wind punch comes off as strange. then there's just the broken stuff; olimar's pikmin, pika's heavy skull bash, everything villager has, etc. it's a shame since some characters really need their customs (lol marthcina), but there are also characters that don't happen to have good customs which is the opposite with the characters already mentioned before like pikachu.

Hell no, there some broken as hell customs. Games already unbalanced, 400+ custom moves makes that balance worse.

If any of you have played custom Shiek, Rosalina, or Pikachu in a tourney setting you'd know.

Customs are only broken in your mind because people haven't had the experience vs them yet, I've faced all three of those you speak of and beat them.

Those against customs are simply afraid to adapt. Because its new, the same thing happens in older metas. Wave Dashing, L-Canceling, chain grabs, these were simply extensions of the system. Custom moves are similar, they are an extensions of character abilities.

Those against custom moves are against progress, they are against the game growing.

Edited by Jedi

also like

customs are the one part of the game you know nintendo won't change to remove advanced techs

:V

Do you really trust Nintendo to balance 400+ customs? Characters like Pikachu and Shiek should not get kill moves like that and Rosalina/Villager get tools that help them camp even better. Don't even bring up Diddy, he's just on another level. Trust me when Diddy eventually gets merged or patched, those top tiers will be even more dominant than they already are.

Yes low tiers become more viable, but arguably top tiers get even more. Its not about being broken, more about being overcentralizing.

Edited by Knife

how much more overcentralizing can you get than the current state

IF customs become a problem, and you see overcentralization become an issue, then we can talk about banning them

until then there's not much point

the smash community is imo way too quick to start suggesting banning things they think are going to be a problem in general

customs are no different

If custom stages can be shared on the new update(the one that will bringing the 3DS's replay and Mii sharing function) coupled with how precise you can be when making maps, custom maps should legit become a thing.

Obviously custom moves should be allowed, the only ones bad for the game are two of Villager's and one of Olimar's. And even then the Olimar one is only a issue in Doubles, and the Villager one's make his camping game super predictable. That tripping sapling is the most annoying tatic I've fought against-and I fought double banana's with random tripping. ;P

Finally, custom equipment is a obvious no, even some of the cooler ones are ruined by random stats-completely game breaking and only fun for making a super tanky Ganondork.

Equipment should not be allowed because messing with the character's stats affects the metagame way too much and they're extremely unpredictable. You can't really study equipment, since it can vary wildly to the point that it's almost impossible that two different players have an identical set of equipment.

Custom moves should be allowed because... I honestly see no reason why they shouldn't be. Unless a character has some sort of bullshit custom that makes him unbeatable in the hands of a competent player, I have nothing against them.

I'm all for custom moves -- we can definitely see something new with them.

Against custom equipment since they're too RNG-based when acquiring them (random stat modifiers and random equipment effects).

Are custom stages counted as customs? If so, then I think that they should be allowed in the tournament setting as long as they only use move platforms and not lava or cannon. It would bring more variety and allow players to not be restricted by what Nintendo gives them. Wily's Castle could be recreated with moving platforms and no Yellow Devil. The moving platforms in Wily's Castle were unique and it's very disappointing that they can't be enjoyed without stage hazards.

No equipment. Customs moves should be legal. I can see the tournament setting be split into customs moves and vanilla.

Edited by Rabbattack

Are custom stages counted as customs? If so, then I think that they should be allowed in the tournament setting as long as they only use move platforms and not lava or cannon. It would bring more variety and allow players to not be restricted by what Nintendo gives them. Wily's Castle could be recreated with moving platforms and no Yellow Devil. The moving platforms in Wily's Castle were unique and it's very disappointing that they can't be enjoyed without stage hazards.

No equipment. Customs moves should be legal. I can see the tournament setting be split into customs moves and vanilla.

Not to mention stuff like the general shape of Yoshi's island can be made for the Wii U version, sure it'll take a little bit for people to add in stages, but I can see it really helping out with stage diversity!

However, the tournament setting CANNOT be split by customs and vanilla. Take for example the West Coast bans customs due to seeing them as unfair to fight against, but the East Coast doesn't ban customs and finds them fair to fight against, now every west coast player is handicapped when they go to the East Coast, and vice versa, tatics they normally use are either outclassed or not available to them suddenly. West Coast will have no experience fighting against certain techniques, and East Coast is deprived of what they normally are capable of doing in a match.

There should be no split, otherwise the tournament setting will be really screwed over and it'll effect how long the comp scene will last and if we can compete with melee.

Not by a lot mind you, but creating a unneeded rift between players for this game should be avoided entirely.

Besides, the inclusion of custom moves doesn't prevent you from using the vanilla moves...

Not to mention stuff like the general shape of Yoshi's island can be made for the Wii U version, sure it'll take a little bit for people to add in stages, but I can see it really helping out with stage diversity!

However, the tournament setting CANNOT be split by customs and vanilla. Take for example the West Coast bans customs due to seeing them as unfair to fight against, but the East Coast doesn't ban customs and finds them fair to fight against, now every west coast player is handicapped when they go to the East Coast, and vice versa, tatics they normally use are either outclassed or not available to them suddenly. West Coast will have no experience fighting against certain techniques, and East Coast is deprived of what they normally are capable of doing in a match.

There should be no split, otherwise the tournament setting will be really screwed over and it'll effect how long the comp scene will last and if we can compete with melee.

Not by a lot mind you, but creating a unneeded rift between players for this game should be avoided entirely.

Besides, the inclusion of custom moves doesn't prevent you from using the vanilla moves...

Okay I was very wrong. People need to move on from the past and accept the future.

Another use of custom stages would be too recreate Melee, Brawl, and 64 stages to fit the tournament setting. GameXplain already recreated the 64 Mario stage, the only thing that bothers me is the lava that is in place of the bumper. That could be easily removed so no problem.

Edited by Rabbattack

Another use of custom stages would be too recreate Melee, Brawl, and 64 stages to fit the tournament setting. GameXplain already recreated the 64 Mario stage, the only thing that bothers me is the lava that is in place of the bumper. That could be easily removed so no problem.

Yeah, and project M too! With how precise the map maker is, all anyone needs is for a online sharing ability so it can be set up for tournament settings~

That of course would take a few months to come around because the sharing option needs to show up, then stages would need to be made, and then the stages would need to be tested and agreed on, and finally distributed to most tourny scenes... It'll take awhile and it needs a initiative, but it can and should happen!