Precisely how excited are you for this game?

How much hype do you have for this game?  

170 members have voted

1. 1. On a scale of 1-5...

• Meh, I don't really care. Whatever.
    • I'll probably get it when it comes out. Not too excited though.
    • Definitely getting the game! Can't wait to play it!
    • I must pre-order both versions! I MUST EXPERIENCE THE FULL GAME!
    • ERMEHGERD GIMMEH GAME NAO! MUST PRE-ORDER AND BUY ALL DLC!!!

That hardly matters, does it? It's still in the game, and it's a damn shame. I wouldn't say it ruins "muh immersion", but a game shouldn't make you stop to ask why a character is fighting in just her panties.

Yea, a bit too much fan service there on IS's end. It's probably going to be toned down/edited out in the US version...

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yea, a bit too much fan service there on IS's end. It's probably going to be toned down/edited out in the US version...

I dunno, they didn't take the panty shot out of Palla's DLC artwork in Awakening. (Though the portrait kinda cuts it off ingame anyway.)

Edit: wait, the official english site doesn't have Palla's art up, I thought it did. lol nevermind there She's the only DLC character whose art isn't on the english site, I think, hahaha

Edited by L95

But this is after the game that was among other things, so desperate to kiss the player's ass, that it would have you

burn hundredths of thousands of people and sing your praises of it, and so sociopathic that it never even considered the possibility that you might be fucking horrified by all of that. This is after the game were not only does the supposed average guy says "I like this part" about the act of killing someone but it also forces them and their personality substitutes down your throat at every opportunity, to the point were you can't even buy something without them butting in to make some stupid pun about money or sweets as if it could take it for granted that one likes these assholes.This is after the game that thinks war, killing and death can never feature panties. This is after the game which was created by people whose universally favorite character is the one who is trying and may have succeed in raping the player character and then can somehow delude themselves into believing that their sex fantasies have something to do with love, romance and family.

And most important of all, this is after the game that, according to the people currently in charge, is the "Ultimate Culmination of Fire Emblem". So if you still remember that RD interview were Nahiro was were comparing Fire Emblem to Gundam, and share the sentiment of him that the "overarching theme" of the series is "how the world isn’t simply as black and white as you might think" and that "this kind of worldview is the reason that the series has maintained it's appeal over all these years", you know jackshit about the series. Jerking of towards killing people is what the series is all about. Die with magnificence, motherfucker! Empathy is reserved for your colleagues and the people who share your blood, no matter how abusive they are to you. What? We made two whole games about family bonds that go beyond blood? Fuck that shit!! ButheyifyoulikethosegamesyouwillenjoyourspotpassbonuscontentandourDLCwhichtotallyhasIkeandalltheothercharactersyoulove! Thank you for playing!

The copypasta is strong in this one.

I'm so exited that I haven't watched the trailer yet.

It's really weird to find myself in a position were I have to force myself to watch a trailer of my favorite series of anything ever.

But this is after the game that was among other things, so desperate to kiss the player's ass, that it would have you

burn hundredths of thousands of people and sing your praises of it, and so sociopathic that it never even considered the possibility that you might be fucking horrified by all of that. This is after the game were not only does the supposed average guy says "I like this part" about the act of killing someone but it also forces them and their personality substitutes down your throat at every opportunity, to the point were you can't even buy something without them butting in to make some stupid pun about money or sweets as if it could take it for granted that one likes these assholes.This is after the game that thinks war, killing and death can never feature panties. This is after the game which was created by people whose universally favorite character is the one who is trying and may have succeed in raping the player character and then can somehow delude themselves into believing that their sex fantasies have something to do with love, romance and family.

And most important of all, this is after the game that, according to the people currently in charge, is the "Ultimate Culmination of Fire Emblem". So if you still remember that RD interview were Nahiro was were comparing Fire Emblem to Gundam, and share the sentiment of him that the "overarching theme" of the series is "how the world isn’t simply as black and white as you might think" and that "this kind of worldview is the reason that the series has maintained it's appeal over all these years", you know jackshit about the series. Jerking of towards killing people is what the series is all about. Die with magnificence, motherfucker! Empathy is reserved for your colleagues and the people who share your blood, no matter how abusive they are to you. What? We made two whole games about family bonds that go beyond blood? Fuck that shit!! ButheyifyoulikethosegamesyouwillenjoyourspotpassbonuscontentandourDLCwhichtotallyhasIkeandalltheothercharactersyoulove! Thank you for playing!

After all of this, I just can find the faith to believe that this game could not end up being disgusting, let alone "enjoyable". The side separation sounds like a good concept, but it's still an assumption on my part that it could mean that the modern series has suddenly found a respect for the life and dignity of sentient beings and after the pre-release phase of the previous I am fucking tired making of making assumptions in it's favor just for it to mock my trust and to one-up my worst predictions.

Did the trailer maybe contain something that would help in that regard? How did IS and Nintendo decide to present the new Fire Emblem game and it's themes to the public? What is it that was so important that they thought we needed to know to gain interest into their new creation and the fruits of their hard labor? We got boob jiggling now? Yay! Truly something great and awe-inducing is coming our way. Can't wait for 2016.

So yeah, not exited at all. ...and I hate feeling that way.

Huh, you raise some pretty great points here. I agree.

I don't think that's copypasta...?

I am pretty excited for this game but I'm not impatient in waiting for it, and I have other games in my backlog I need to finish anyway. Etrian Odyssey series I'm looking at you >_>.

I'm probably going to spend my time trying to generate money off of my YT channel, and probably fail in the process.

I don't think that's copypasta...?

It reads like one. So much rage and snark inserted into a thread only tangentially (if at all) related to the actual topic.

It reads like one. So much rage and snark inserted into a thread only tangentially (if at all) related to the actual topic.

The topic is "how do you feel about the new game" so really he's more on topic than me or you. Even if he does clearly have a chip on his shoulder.

Right now the initial hype was worn off and I want to see more information about how the game will work.

Gah Idk.... I'm kinda on the fence about it. It screams Awakening 2.0. Not that I'm surprised because *sigh* Awakening "saved" the series as a whole and as much as I dislike it sometimes I'm grateful for that at least. I dunno in the back of my head I'm getting a "if it isn't broke don't fix it" kinda vibe... so I feel like its going to play very similarly.

I guess I'm just hoping at the very least the story is actually decent. Like Tellius/Jugdral level good but I feel it'll be sacred stones narrative level.

Character designs and the setting at least seem pretty ok. West vs East is a cool concept. So far so good on that.

I realllllly hope NA and PAL versions of IF don't go all Pokemon and have a dual release like Japan. Fire Emblem doesn't need to start that nonsense.

Its funny I don't want to pick either Hoshido or Nohr just because I mean choosing between your family or friends? Talk about an impossible choice! I mean unless they're totally evil, that's just silly, we don't even know who the real enemy is y'know?Thank god for 3rd choice DLC...

Bows have gotten a bit of tweaking which is much appreciated. If the magic triangle returns as well as light magic both get confirmed I might get a bit more excited.

For now I am very cautious and preparing for the worst, hoping for the best. :)

Ehm, no it isn't. I said similar things in the past obviously, but nothing that isn't already in quotation marks is directly copied from anywhere.

So why did you think this was a copypasta? Or do you just like to accuse people of copying other people's post like they don't actually sincerely care about a subject, just to see if you get lucky?

Edit: The "Ultimate Compilation of Fire Emblem" bit was from the Iwata asks interview, btw. The comparison with Gundam was from the Radiant Dawn interview that we have uploaded on the site.

Edited by BrightBow

@BrightBow

I can't say I wasn't dissapointed (or even upset) by Awakening in many ways, but I find it harder to be explictly bitter about it than say, FE12, which does so many things right mechanically but so many things wrong narratively (or FE10 which has lots of good ideas but botches them and diminishes the quality of it's own predecessor). FE13 was (and is) pretty much something entirely different that happens to use a mechanical framework in the vein of Fire Emblem. I can understand how that's an affront to you, but I find that far less frustrating than a game being constantly dragged in two different directions.

In that sense, whilst I definitely preffered older Fire Emblem games, I'm still interested (and by extension, a bit excited I suppose) for where the series will go, at least mechanically and strategically. Narratively, I don't really care anymore though, since I have little faith in IS's writers after FE12 rewrites and FE13.

Edited by Irysa

Did the trailer maybe contain something that would help in that regard? How did IS and Nintendo decide to present the new Fire Emblem game and it's themes to the public? What is it that was so important that they thought we needed to know to gain interest into their new creation and the fruits of their hard labor? We got boob jiggling now? Yay! Truly something great and awe-inducing is coming our way. Can't wait for 2016.

It's a trailer about bonds and choices mainly, along with a one second clip of a generously-chested woman walking towards you with open arms. That same character is also shown twice displaying sincere concern for the well-being of the main character, in that same trailer. I have to say, if you've reached the point where you think the aforementioned clip is of any legitimate importance, you may want to give the trailer a watch to see how wrong you are.

Otherwise, I'm also worried about how they'll follow up on Awakening. But the main good thing is that this isn't a cash-in sequel in any way, a path many, myself included, feared that they were going to pick. Yet they went the complete opposite way, which is great news as far as I'm concerned: completely new universe, characters and story. It's also a different writer this time around, and a good one from what I'm led to believe, so who knows what we'll end up getting.

I admit that your concerns feel justified to me, but this game's very premise is bonds and grey conflicts. Even its marketing is based on that. That's a pretty good sign in my book.

Edited by Cysx

@BrightBow

I can't say I wasn't dissapointed (or even upset) by Awakening in many ways, but I find it harder to be explictly bitter about it than say, FE12, which does so many things right mechanically but so many things wrong narratively (or FE10 which has lots of good ideas but botches them and diminishes the quality of it's own predecessor). FE13 was (and is) pretty much something entirely different that happens to use a mechanical framework in the vein of Fire Emblem. I can understand how that's an affront to you, but I find that far less frustrating than a game being constantly dragged in two different directions.

FE12 most certainly ruined FE3's story and embarrassingly panders to the player but I wouldn't hold much ire towards a game just because it wasn't good in my eyes. On the other hand, FE13 is it's own thing in a way that it's ideas about friendship, love, family and human life itself is something I find absolutely contemptible not just as a Fire Emblem fan but more importantly as a human being. Although that most certainly makes things worse.

Sure, a lot of it can be written of to crappy writing, akin to the Laguz and Ike in RD burning down everything that was archived in PoR for the sake of a contrived conflict, as you nicely outlined over at the RD board. But here it's so heavily integrated into every aspect of the game, not just in it's story but also in it's supports, side chapters and especially the battle quotes that I can't help but wonder what's wrong with the people in charge of the project. It's supposedly a game that's all about "the love to the characters" (from the Iwata interview again), yet basically all of them are just horrible and awful people that players are sincerely expected to like.

In that sense, whilst I definitely preffered older Fire Emblem games, I'm still interested (and by extension, a bit excited I suppose) for where the series will go, at least mechanically and strategically. Narratively, I don't really care anymore though, since I have little faith in IS's writers after FE12 rewrites and FE13.

The writers don't worry me that much. It's nice to know that a new writer is at the helm but they can only work according to the framework laid down by the people in charge. And those people in charge basically embraced the previous game's design by basically universally declaring Tharja as their favorite character, who better then anyone embodies everything wrong with Awakening's characters, what with her openly abusing other characters in the game, yet her actions always getting completely ignored in the next support and she just ends up getting married to her victims anyway. Writers come and go but those guys stick around.

The series is basically at a point were talking about gameplay itself actually feels rather meaningless to me. I would be happy if I could just play the next game without feeling the need to take a shower.

Edited by BrightBow

Ehm, no it isn't. I said similar things in the past obviously, but nothing that isn't already in quotation marks is directly copied from anywhere.

So why did you think this was a copypasta? Or do you just like to accuse people of copying other people's post like they don't actually sincerely care about a subject, just to see if you get lucky?

Edit: The "Ultimate Compilation of Fire Emblem" bit was from the Iwata asks interview, btw. The comparison with Gundam was from the Radiant Dawn interview that we have uploaded on the site.

Because it was a rant nobody asked for and contained an unnecessarily amount of detail to explain why you're not excited for FE14. You could have just said "I didn't enjoy Awakening so I'm not excited for the next game". Instead we got your bitter dissertation on why Awakening sucks. I apologize if it was an original rant, however. It looked like so many Awakening-hate troll posts that I've seen a hundred times. I'd debate your arguments but you've clearly made up your mind.

Because it was a rant nobody asked for and contained an unnecessarily amount of detail to explain why you're not excited for FE14. You could have just said "I didn't enjoy Awakening so I'm not excited for the next game". Instead we got your bitter dissertation on why Awakening sucks. I apologize if it was an original rant, however. It looked like so many Awakening-hate troll posts that I've seen a hundred times. I'd debate your arguments but you've clearly made up your mind.

The topic of this thread is "precisely how excited are you for this game?". I believe he answered that in earnest. It's disrespectful and very unaccomodating to insinuate he can't express his own frustrations, and clearly he regrets feeling the way he does.

FE12 most certainly ruined FE3's story and embarrassingly panders to the player but I wouldn't hold much ire towards a game just because it wasn't good in my eyes. On the other hand, FE13 is it's own thing in a way that it's ideas about friendship, love, family and human life itself is something I find absolutely contemptible not just as a Fire Emblem fan but more importantly as a human being. Although that most certainly makes things worse.

Sure, a lot of it can be written of to crappy writing, akin to the Laguz and Ike in RD burning down everything that was archived in PoR for the sake of a contrived conflict, as you nicely outlined over at the RD board. But here it's so heavily integrated into every aspect of the game, not just in it's story but also in it's supports, side chapters and especially the battle quotes that I can't help but wonder what's wrong with the people in charge of the project. It's supposedly a game that's all about "the love to the characters" (from the Iwata interview again), yet basically all of them are just horrible and awful people that players are sincerely expected to like.

To your first point - I actually think FE12 is a good game, I just happen to find it's flaws extremely frustrating exactly because I think it's a good game. This is aided by the fact that it is a game that actually has an existing history of characters and figures who are diminished and demeaned in it's new script. I've PM'd Delphi Sage about this but many of the base conversations negatively impact the characterisation of the cast - Yumina is a good example.

Yumina and Chris

Yumina is hyperexaggerated into a dumb tsundere in these, which undermines the small dialogue she has with Yubello in C4 that shows strength of character for a child of her age. Yumina in the original is trying to take responsibility and is insecure due to her inexperience, in the base conversations she's just turned into some dumb brat. Just compare!

Yubello:

Mister Ogma... I'm scared... Can we go back...?

Yumina:

Yubello! Get a hold of yourself! You're a man, are you not? Show some spine! You can use a Fire tome, can't you? So... fight with it!

Yubello:

But Master Wendell said that we mustn't fight... Besides, I don't like fighting.

Yumina:

Ugh, stop complaining! It's just you and me now. You have to stay strong, because I...sniff... I don't know what we're supposed to do...

Yubello:

Oh... I'm sorry, Yumina... I'll do my best, so... please don't cry!

Radiant Dawn has many similar regressions as well. I understand your complaint that FE13 is full of people who are (for lack of a better word) complete jerks, but I see that as a lot less objectionable than a game that turned existing characters who weren't jerks into jerks (hi Ike), or into incompetant buffoons (hi Sanaki).

Awakening had fresh ground to do whatever, and it clearly mostly intended to be very far removed from the implications of reality that previous FE games often had. And before someone jumps down my throat on that, I'm saying "implications of reality" for a reason. FE isn't consistently hyper realistic, but it also wasn't entirely romanticised. There's often a grim truth or two that affects the nature of the conflicts. Honestly, Lucina, Tiki and Say'ri aside I don't really take anyone in FE13 seriously, like, ever.

I'm not trying to dismiss your disgust or anything here, and I'm sorry if I came across that way. I do understand where you're coming from, but to me the game thematically is so distinctly far removed from everything else in the series that I'm more accepting of it. I don't think it bothers me that characters revel in what they're doing because basically none of them feel actually "human" in the first place, they're in the zone of exaggerated glorified self-righteousness that you'd hear in some overly flattering poem of legend or something. Or really corny Kung-Fu movies. Or something like that. And indulging in material like that isn't really a mark of poor character or messed up morality. At least, I'd hope not, because I can certainly enjoy them sometimes.

Although FWIW, I accept I'm probably being a little leniant because I enjoyed Awakening's gameplay enough. When it's something like Persona 3 or 4, I get really vexed by how people can appreciate a cast full of morons and assholes unironically, but when the gameplay is so damn uncompelling it's harder to just say "whatever" to it I suppose.

The writers don't worry me that much. It's nice to know that a new writer is at the helm but they can only work according to the framework laid down by the people in charge. And those people in charge basically embraced the previous game's design by basically universally declaring Tharja as their favorite character, who better then anyone embodies everything wrong with Awakening's characters, what with her openly abusing other characters in the game, yet her actions always getting completely ignored in the next support and she just ends up getting married to her victims anyway. Writers come and go but those guys stick around.

The series is basically at a point were talking about gameplay itself actually feels rather meaningless to me. I would be happy if I could just play the next game without feeling the need to take a shower.

That's a fair point, but regardless of how you spin it, I'm not really expecting to really be compelled or drawn into the plot of this game whatsoever, except in maybe some fringe touching scenarios.

I don't really get what you mean by "talking about gameplay itself feels rather meaningless to me" though.

Edited by Irysa

The topic of this thread is "precisely how excited are you for this game?". I believe he answered that in earnest. It's disrespectful and very unaccomodating to insinuate he can't express his own frustrations, and clearly he regrets feeling the way he does.

Like I said, if the point of his post was to discuss his lack of interest in FEif and not all the reasons he hates Awakening, he could have been more succinct. I can respect someone who has doubts about the next game because I do too. Anyway, I shouldn't attack him personally for his negativity so I'll leave it alone.

Despite my initial concern for a possible cashgrab with the dual versions and Hoshido being the EZmode game for casuals, I am looking forward to this release. I don't know if IS can write a nuanced story and characters again but I want to believe.

Edited by NekoKnight

I'm a little more optimistic because, in my eyes, it's been quite some time since they've tried to write a nuanced story and characters. Awakening was just something completely different. Take Tharja: she's awful, but she's comically awful and it's played for laughs. I personally found her funny in a surreal way, but I completely respect that someone who would take offence to making humour out of her abuses and loathe the character, or even the entire game's writing for it.

That said the expectations will never be too high because the series has never executed a story anywhere near flawlessly, in my eyes. But in my opinion they've had their greatest successes when either examining the emotional bonds between characters (in a Eirika/Ephraim/Lyon Sacred Stones way, not an Awakening way) or asking the player to consider things from different perspectives (give us Tellius nations, not Ylisse/Valm/Plegia), and FE14 seems primed to potentially do both. We'll see.

(I'm not trying to rag on Awakening too much because I do like it, but its serious writing does have some legitimate flaws and those flaws are more relevant than those of, say, FE7, because it more than any other game indicates the current direction of the series.)