Awakening was a bit of a let down for me in terms of multiplayer. Sure, the occasional street pass keeps me somewhat content, but I was expecting more with the latest functions of 3DS wireless capabilites. For example, my best friend and I do not live in the same state and have loved Fire Emblem ever since Fire Emblem Rekka no Ken (Blazing sword) was released for the GBA. The only way we can "play together" is by skyping, and in that sense it was a big let down for my friend and I. Personally, I would like more out of the multiplayer aspect of the game: direct Player vs Player on a dynamic or default map.

What are your hopes for wireless?

Any news that I'm unaware of?

If they include wireless battles between players they better have a lot of diverse maps cause if they have only like 4-6 maps there going to get boring so quickly that is why I hope they have a good starting number of maps and add on to those. When it comes to gameplay there are a lot of various variables such as troops some might have more stronger or higher quality troops then others. With that being said that is why I believe they should have different types such as ranked and unranked modes for those types of players

Edited by ZeroEnigma

thistopicagain.jpg

In all seriousness, I was happy with Awakening's multiplayer (but I am more partial to cooperative multiplayer than competitive). I don't think Fire Emblem is a system in which competitive multiplayer can really work well, at least, not without a few (see: a lot of) changes to the balance and mechanics, specifically the skill system and dual system. What I would like to see is something like a set of co-op challenge maps. It'd be the natural evolution of double duel, IMO.

thistopicagain.jpg

In all seriousness, I was happy with Awakening's multiplayer (but I am more partial to cooperative multiplayer than competitive). I don't think Fire Emblem is a system in which competitive multiplayer can really work well, at least, not without a few (see: a lot of) changes to the balance and mechanics, specifically the skill system and dual system. What I would like to see is something like a set of co-op challenge maps. It'd be the natural evolution of double duel, IMO.

This. Pvp multiplaye in fire emblem would be a fight at who grinds the most for skills and whatnot.

I will refrain from my toxic negativity as I have said what I needed to say on the topic already. I will just say that in the perspective of FE's game design focus, it is smart to leave it a bare minimum of multilayer functionality like Double Duel or FE11 and FE12's, what people call a crap multiplayer very often. Because balancing to make it as fun as other games' standards for PvP will kill the main campaign. FE will most likely never be fun with Player vs Player.

Co-op campaigns sounds wonderful.

Edited by shadowofchaos

I agree with the others, co-op maps would be fantastic. It would give us a reason to play trial maps, especially if there were un-lockable characters. What I would REALLY love to see would be highly difficult post-game dungeons such as the Lagdou Ruins in FE8. Something that would really test your units, and fight well with your partner to survive and get some nice loot.

Edited by TitaniumLegman

thistopicagain.jpg

That's where nerfs and restrictions come into play for balanced gameplay.

Few interesting ideas I was toying around with for PvP was Siege. One player holds a fort for as long as possible whilst another player tries to take the throne. For some added fun bring back the dreaded fog from hell. Or cooperatively two (or more; increasing difficulty with more players) would hold/attack the fort.

Keep in mind I haven't had the opportunity to play some of the co-op stuff so I'm kind of new in that aspect. With that being said I think it would be interesting to see co-op campaigns and challenges arise much like the DLC played. Wide open maps with waves of enemies would be interesting.

Edited by raz0r

That's where nerfs and restrictions come into play for balanced gameplay.

while a great idea conceptually, that's a lot of design resources that you have to pour into strictly multiplayer design if you want to do anything more than just bolting it on.

while a great idea conceptually, that's a lot of design resources that you have to pour into strictly multiplayer design if you want to do anything more than just bolting it on.

Open beta? :3

Anyways, they're so far into development the thought of PvP was probably shit canned a long time ago. It's interesting to read what other people would like to see from multiplayer.

One of the aspects of Awakening that'd be really frustrating in multi would be dual attack/defense, and it looks like those are being tweaked, since the CPU can use them now too. There's the issue of instant kill, but that's only really problematic with perma-death, a vs mode certainly won't have that. It also could work well here with the split versions/paths, since that could lead to very different team builds. They also could include bonus characters again, but now with some exclusive ones in each path too, and basically turn the game into Pokemon (as long as NoA doesn't mess up and make them unusable in multiplayer again).

Edited by NeonZ

Now that enemies can use the Dual system (and presumably Pair Up), I think now would be a great time to re-introduce map-based multiplayer.

It would be doubly nice if all the maps in the game could be used as battlefields too, ala StreetPass/SpotPass, but I can imagine the two routes thing killing that idea. Oh well.

I'm agreeing 100% here. The design of a one player game, will not pool very well into a multiplayer concept well UNLESS, the multiplayer is a focused aspect. Typically FE hasn't really done much in the realm of Co-Op either so, unless we hear something else. I kinda doubt we'll have a Multiplayer mode or it'll just be hastily tacked-on.

Co-op is definitely the thing that will actually work in FE so that's what I want. I was actually satisfied with Double Duel, for the most part, but co-op campaign maps would be amazing.

To be fair, since we're seeing enemies use the dual system in If, perhaps we may see skills specifically to combat paired enemies. For example, a skill which could separate a pair, or a skill which reduced the opponent's dual guard chance.

Is it sad that I forgot Awakening had multi-player??

I think that says more about how little faith they have in the multiplayer.

It's local only and I've never ever had the chance to play it meyself, so, no.

Welcome to the club. Which is also the reason why I hope the Developers do more with the wireless capabilities. Only for the sake of comparison, Monster Hunter 4 Ultimate, has wireless online play and dropped the local only from 3DS (MH4U still has local but the 3DS isn't focused solely on local).

Edited by raz0r

• 1 month later...