First time playing Shadow Dragons. Got some tips for me?

I realized I had this game for 6 years now and never touched it. Now that I have the time to play it, I want to enter in prepared. Also I heard the growth rates for the characters are low compared to other FE games. Are there going to be a lot of useless units in this one?

80% of the units in this game are meh or worse, with bad growths. All maps are seize. Marth and thieves both can't promote, but can be leveled to 30. Reclassing is kinda weird and it's better for someone else to explain.

There are a few gaiden chapters in the game, but they can only be accessed by having a small ammount of units in your army... basically, kill everyone but 8-11. There is 1 recruitable unit every one of these but none of them are good. Don't go to the gaidens, most aren't worth it.

95% of prepromotes in this game are terrible.

Oh, and they give you new units. Left. And. Right.

Edited by Dracocoa

There's plenty of EXP to share across the board, so it's ok to use Jeigan early on.

In lower difficulties, Archers are really difficult to work with. I'd suggest reclassing any archers that you intend to use long term. That being said, the three units that come as Archers are not very good. The one that comes as a Hunter, is pretty passable though.

Caeda is based goddess on wings, and you'll do yourself a dis-service if you do not use her. I'd say I'm spoiling things but she joins in Chapter 1 so yea

Only Marth can visit villages, so just be careful with your planning there

aside from what's been said, cavaliers are really good.

Unless the unit's name is Caeda/Sheeda, don't rely on anyone being a dodge tank because it isn't going to happen.

well, navarre can do this a bit too, but caeda definitely does it better.

Oh, they give you a LOT of Cavaliers in this game.

The first healer you get sucks. Use the 2nd one you get. Like almost all units you get in this game, they're not great, but they're better.

Jeigen has terrible bases and growths, and is not suited for long-term use, like all Jeigans. Y'know the deal.

Jeigen has terrible bases and growths, and is not suited for long-term use, like all Jeigans.

I really wish people would stop perpetuating false information like this.

Jeigan in FE11 can be used long term just by merit of oneshotting about 70% of the enemies in the game with a Ridersbane forge. I mean he only stops being capable of oneshotting horse units on H5 difficulty after chapter 18 since after that there are no more Cavaliers, just Paladins, but he's still going to be able to kill all those Paladins in later chapters if someone chips them first. And he can be a fine staffbot too since you can make him a Bishop or Sage and work on his Staff Rank to use Warp or Physic. Both he and Wendell are the only units with access to Dracoknight for a significant portion of the game, which is pretty amazing too.

Jeigan has way more long term viability than most units in this game just because of his Lance Rank and Class A promoted status.

Edited by Irysa

Jagen isn't that great, but he's immensely useful during the chapters you get him. The first three are the hardest in the game, and Jagen's Silver Lancing is tremendously useful. The riders bane forge is better on units like Abel who can actually oneshot Pallys with it.

Best way to get items in chests is to kill the thief that tries to run off with it. :P:

The growths in this game are low, but it's more than possible to work around that! Supports DO exist, and they'll help later on, with crits. Hammers/Ridersbane are your friend - both are buyable.

Warp staffs are pretty broken here. They've always been the win button but they'/re just ridiculous in this game. They span the entire map regardless of stats.

Use those if you're in a bind, but you should be fine on normal difficulties.

Don't go in expecting the depth of the later entries. Its pretty barebones compared to some of them.

Not a bad game though, I enjoyed it.

Enjoy the script! It's the remake of the first game of the series, with a simple script but solid. It's funny to try who started it all. Almost all the characters say little, but those few who have characterization are interesting and shine in contrast. And some characters have a surprising elegance. This game have the better characterization of Marth, for example.

Edited by ENS

• 2 weeks later...

Try to keep your thieves alive (You only get 2, Julian and Rickard), otherwise you have to have Marth get all the chests and that gets annoying in maps with a lot of chests.

Try not to forget forging is a thing, I always do and I've barely used that feature.

Unless you use a certain character a lot, I wouldn't expect to be able to level someone up to 20, promote them, and then get them back up to 20 before the end of the game.

Keep Caeda alive because it makes the ending less sad.

Make sure you have Bantu so you can actually get Tiki. Otherwise you can't.

Xane can be pretty useful, as depending on who he copies, he can pretty much use any weapon in the game.

Don't bother with the Gaiden chapters unless you really want to see them.

Try to get the proper Falchion on your first playthrough, (The one Nagi gives you is weaker than the one obtained from Gharnef),

Oh, and the first chapter where Gharnef is you can totally stall him with a Pegasus Knight to the point where he never even gets to attack at all.

Forging is auesome in this game. This especially applies to the rapier and wing spear (which are not unique, btw), as well as other effective weapons. Any point of might counts tipple when these weapons are effective (which they are against a ton of enemies).

Forging is auesome in this game. This especially applies to the rapier and wing spear (which are not unique, btw), as well as other effective weapons. Any point of might counts tipple when these weapons are effective (which they are against a ton of enemies).

Thy are unique to Marth/Caeda respectively. Otherwise many people would hand it to Abel and call it a day.

Thy are unique to Marth/Caeda respectively. Otherwise many people would hand it to Abel and call it a day.

I meant that you can buy like 5 copies of each over the course of the game.

Oh, they give you a LOT of Cavaliers in this game.

The first healer you get sucks. Use the 2nd one you get. Like almost all units you get in this game, they're not great, but they're better.

Jeigen has terrible bases and growths, and is not suited for long-term use, like all Jeigans. Y'know the deal.

Wrys is eternal Lena is bows doe

THis game gives you some really fun and unusual unit types. (notably balistician and camilion) Use them.

Wrys is eternal Lena is bows doe

The only thing Wrys has over Lena is availability. And even so, it's like one chapter's worth. I can't imagine him getting enough staff usage to be able to use Warp around then. Lena, on the other hand, needs no effort to use Warp. Not to mention, Hammerne, which only Lena can use in this game, is pretty handy.

If there's ANY healer in this game that blows, look no further than Maria.

Edited by Just call me AL

• 1 month later...

If your units are blessed to that extent, you can basically jump into a pile of enemies, not take any damage and ORKO everything, so it would definitely be too broken.

Also playing Shadow Dragon for the first time, and I'm curious...

Would enabling a cheat that made all stats increase upon level up be too OP?

That would be too OP in every game, not just this one.