Gender-specific classes

FrostyFireMage

144 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on gender-locked classes in FE:if?

• There should be more.
    • There should be no change from previous games.
    • There should only be one gender-class class for each gender, such as Troubadour for women and Berserker for men.
    • There should be no difference between the classes available to each gender.

From what others have gathered from the Nintendo direct, it appears we may get a Male Pegasus Rider and a Female Fighter in FE:if.

With this interesting development, there is a greater chance we may see other unprecedented characters such as a Male Troubadour or a Female Berserker.

What is your opinion on this subject? Should IS do away with such restrictions entirely?

Edited by FrostyFireMage

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was having a hard time making a decision on this at first. I don't generally like change in things like video games series or books being made into movies and stuff like that, but I've realized that there has to be change, or we'd all just be playing Pong. Sometimes changes are bad, but a whole lot of them are good too. And there's no real reason any class should be gender-locked. Of course there's no real need to change priest and cleric, but that's not really what I'm talking about. I'm not saying that every character should be able to class-change into anything else, that would be a bad change. But no class should be closed to any gender. Potential female bandits will have to wear different clothes though, if IS doesn't want their game to get an AO rating or be banned in Australia.

I don't mind gender-restricted classes if there's always a counterpart for the other gender, which should be equally as useful, such as the case with Cleric/Priest, Dancer/Bard etc.

I am for both gender equality and inequality equally... or unequally!

But to be serious, I don't mind gender exclusive classes but at the same time stuff like female fighters (or just even T1 axe users) would be pretty neat. To lock an entire gender out of a weapon choice can be a little bothersome.

I would like to see it done away with, but don't really mind too much as long as there's an opposite-gender (or unisex) class with similar function. I don't like how pretty much all axe-wielders are exclusively male and mounted healers are almost all exclusively female, but I'm not too bothered by Pegasi because Wyverns are open to both genders.

I'm not super opposed to the gender locked classes being shared but at the same time, I don't think IS needs to go out of its way to change them. The only genderlock I wanted to see removed is for Manaketes and Kamui kind of already did that.

I would really like to see like an Ike on a peggie. That image is somehow amusing to me. So I say do away with them.

I'd like to see this too, but I don't really care either ways. feels like some irrelevant feature in the game.

Also I don't think manaketes are gender locked in the first place, Iirc the first recruitable one was a male manakete.

But to be serious, I don't mind gender exclusive classes but at the same time stuff like female fighters (or just even T1 axe users) would be pretty neat. To lock an entire gender out of a weapon choice can be a little bothersome.

This pretty much sums up how I feel. The class restrictions pretty much makes it all but impossible for a female axe-using infantry to exist (the best you can do is a prepromo Hero/War Cleric/etc.) and that feels pretty needless. I had a similar objection to a lack of mounted male mages, but Mage Knight (FE8) and Dark Knight (FE13) did address my concerns there at least... although not the staff part. And male pegasus knights is something I honestly never really thought about much (because wyverns fit such a similar niche mechanically) but I'm excited at the prospect of one anyway.

I kind of like gender-locked classes in Awakening, because it affects how you have to go about strategizing when it comes to reclassing and inheritance. `The problem though is that the logic behind gender-locked classes in Fire Emblem is silly. Pegasus Knights are female only because they ride unicorns with feminine connotations, and Warriors are male because they're really strong?

I would like to see it done away with, but don't really mind too much as long as there's an opposite-gender (or unisex) class with similar function. I don't like how pretty much all axe-wielders are exclusively male and mounted healers are almost all exclusively female, but I'm not too bothered by Pegasi because Wyverns are open to both genders.

Well along that line, Hero class is open to both genders.

Also I don't think manaketes are gender locked in the first place, Iirc the first recruitable one was a male manakete.

Yeah, Manaketes were never genderlocked

I would really like to see like an Ike on a peggie. That image is somehow amusing to me. So I say do away with them.

Can we please make the fighter class promote into a peg? I never knew I needed giant men riding pegasi until now.

Genderlock has always been a nuisance to me ever since I couldn't reclass Minerva in fe12 to Berserker to use Hauteclere while having a speed stat that's endgame-worthy; I mean yeah, most of the female/male A classes are the best classes anyway but 12 Lunatic Dracoknight 23 speed cap kinda just doesn't cut it anymore

Like, I never liked it since it limits on what you can do with characters in terms of design and characterization, but then reclass happened and I liked it even less, so to do away with it is a great thing for me. I'm not asking for every female character reclass to berserker or every male to peg under the current reclass system, but just those whose characters are suitable for the class is fine.

Edited by Thor Odinson

I forgot about Bantu. Still, the majority of manaketes have been female and they were genderlocked in Awakening.

(speaking of playable characters, mind you)

Edited by NekoKnight

To be fair it probably wasn't coded as a hard genderlock like peg, fighter, troub, barbarian, and the two dlc classes (where even when there's a female potential recipient of the class, it just gets swapped for another) as much as just the characters ended up being all female. Would've been great to have another dude manakete since bantu though.

I forgot about Bantu. Still, the majority of manaketes have been female and they were genderlocked in Awakening.

(speaking of playable characters, mind you)

I might be wrong as I've never had the chance to play awakening yet, I don't think you could reclass characters(male or female) to manakete in the first place.

Makes it quite irrelevant to say that it is, since it's more of a "x character only" class.

No point in arguing about this though lol.

Edited by Kirk

To be fair it probably wasn't coded as a hard genderlock like peg, fighter, troub, barbarian, and the two dlc classes (where even when there's a female potential recipient of the class, it just gets swapped for another) as much as just the characters ended up being all female. Would've been great to have another dude manakete since bantu though.

I don't think it was a coincidence. Of the playable manaketes (Bantu, Tiki, Fae, Myrrh, Nagi, Nowi, Nah and Morgan) 7 were girls and 5 of those are very young looking girls. With only a minor exception, "manakete" is as female associated as Pegasus knights are.

I might be wrong as I've never had the chance to play awakening yet, I don't think you could reclass characters(male or female) to manakete in the first place.

Makes it quite irrelevant to say that it is, since it's more of a "x character only" class.

Awakening has 4 playable manaketes and there's not a single boy. You don't include that many characters and have them all be the same gender unless it was intended to be that way.

Edited by NekoKnight

Awakening has 4 playable manaketes and there's not a single boy. You don't include that many characters and have them all be the same gender unless it was intended to be that way.

You're over thinking it imo. I agree with you that it was intended, but not for that reason.

I'd bet that the actual reasoning for it is that they wanted more of legal age "8 year old girls". XD

Edited by Kirk