Gender-specific classes

FrostyFireMage

144 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on gender-locked classes in FE:if?

• There should be more.
    • There should be no change from previous games.
    • There should only be one gender-class class for each gender, such as Troubadour for women and Berserker for men.
    • There should be no difference between the classes available to each gender.

1) Everyone is different. Fucking identical twins are still different. Women aren't a monolith. Men aren't a monolith. That's why each character has their own reclass set going by FE13 mechanics. If a woman is strong with big muscle and likes axes and doesn't quite like shirts, then let her go berserker. If a man wants to sit on a horse and is good at healing then let him go Valkyrie

2) Pegasi being female-only was a retcon in the first place. In actual mythology, pegasi are associated with men.

3) I don't see why men can't heal people on a horse when 1) FE8 Male Mage Knights exist and functions the same as Valkyries 2) if you're fussed about the name then change the goddamn name and it's not like Troubadours wasn't a term that refers to men (the feminine form is Trobairitz) so what the fuck is the big deal anyway

4) Have you see women in real life they many of them aren't as puny as media would lead you to believe

Edited by Thor Odinson

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why make men Valkyries when that's not what Valkyries are?

Valkyries are nothing close to what they are in Fire Emblem anyway. The name of the class can always be changed.

Just because men and women are different biologically doesn't mean gender-locked classes in a fantasy game should be a thing.

I do think that getting rid of gender limitations would be an interesting novelty once in a while, but wouldn't go so far as to say it should completely disappear. It helps with variety and the uniqueness of playable characters/classes, especially if reclassing is a thing. To cite Awakening as an example, the fact that the gender you choose for Robin matters is a good thing in my book. It provides replayability and makes theorycrafting more interesting.

Edited by Cysx

There's really no logical reason not to have men on horses with staves or men on pegs. I've been expecting them to deviate from the tradition for some time now, just like they deviated from the "magic users must be squishies" archetype in Awakening.

I mean if Hercules can have a pegasus and be manly, so can you.

Ahem... Can't resist replying to this, but it wasn't Pegasus who was born when Medusa's head was cut off. That was Chrysaor, Pegasus's Brother. Pegasus was the first Pegasi if you will, born when Poseidon wanted to create something beautiful for Medusa, Medusa at the time was not a Gorgon though mind you.

And also, Hercules did not ride Pegasus (the immortal Pegasus that is) it was Perseus.

P.S. Shame on you Disney.

I'm Greek so I can't resist explaining mythology when the opportunity arises.

...Anywho. On topic, I voted for do away with gender locked classes. To an extent. Everyone reclassing into everything doesn't make sense, but specific characters who are suitable for the class, whether through personality, body type, etc. then yes, that makes sense and would be a great addition.

Edited by TwinBlade

Not only do i think Fire emblem should not have gender specific classes, it should also allow homosexual relationships between characters in addition to heterosexual relationships. I think that it could become a trademark of Fire Emblem. Being open and accepting of all cultures. It would also support(hehe, SUPPORT, get it?) the theme of FEIF. If the game is really about big moral questions, and the different kinds of family, this should be a thing. Look, if Lucina can marry her brother or her cousin, we should be able to have guys marry other guys and girls marry other girls. (If this happened, I am pairing Sakura with Kazehana.)

^In most places in Japan it isn't even illegal to discriminate homosexuals in public. There's only a few civil governments that ban discrimination over there, the only ones I can think of is Tokyo and Osaka. But unfortunately it's safe to say that Homosexuals rights, while they do exist in a few places, aren't held in high regard. When I lived in Osaka, one of my cousins was constantly ridiculed everywhere he went for being openly gay. He pressed charges against one guy who was extremely vulgar, and even though in Osaka you aren't allowed to discriminate against gays, nothing was done.

Though I guess I shouldn't try to start a political discussion here, and that wasn't my intent, I just felt it was unlikely to see such relationships in the game because of Japans current view on the matter. While unfortunate, it's how it is atm, and sorry if this is something I shouldn't be talking about mods, definitely not trying to start a bickering contest.

^In most places in Japan it isn't even illegal to discriminate homosexuals in public. There's only a few civil governments that ban discrimination over there, the only ones I can think of is Tokyo and Osaka. But unfortunately it's safe to say that Homosexuals rights, while they do exist in a few places, aren't held in high regard. When I lived in Osaka, one of my cousins was constantly ridiculed everywhere he went for being openly gay. He pressed charges against one guy who was extremely vulgar, and even though in Osaka you aren't allowed to discriminate against gays, nothing was done.

Though I guess I shouldn't try to start a political discussion here, and that wasn't my intent, I just felt it was unlikely to see such relationships in the game because of Japans current view on the matter. While unfortunate, it's how it is atm, and sorry if this is something I shouldn't be talking about mods, definitely not trying to start a bickering contest.

I totally understand, and I don't think you are really bickering. I wouldn't expect it, but it would be nice. Maybe some years from now, things will change. The gender specific classes are really not necessary though, and i suppose them getting rid of that is the best we can hope for right now. I mean, why wouldn't a man want to ride a FLYING HORSE? XD That's awesome. I can only hope that at least in the world of video games, things can change... :/

I totally understand, and I don't think you are really bickering. I wouldn't expect it, but it would be nice. Maybe some years from now, things will change. The gender specific classes are really not necessary though, and i suppose them getting rid of that is the best we can hope for right now. I mean, why wouldn't a man want to ride a FLYING HORSE? XD That's awesome. I can only hope that at least in the world of video games, things can change... :/

I agree buddy. There's more people who would have no issue with homosexual relationships in games (they already exist in the West all over) than people who do have issues.

In Greek Mythology Pegasi were an extremely popular mount for all warriors. Males, females, Satyrs, you name anything with upright feet and a butt and they would have rode one. I'm Greek so warriors on a Pegasus would be a really cool thing for me. Peg Knights with swords though would also be a nice addition. Agile swords make more sense for a Riding unit as fast as a pegasus is. Lances would be harder to swing at such speeds. Though it's a game so it's my own fault for thinking practically lmao.

So I'm really hoping for all gender restrictions to be lifted is my main point.

In Greek Mythology Pegasi were an extremely popular mount for all warriors. Males, females, Satyrs, you name anything with upright feet and a butt and they would have rode one. I'm Greek so warriors on a Pegasus would be a really cool thing for me. Peg Knights with swords though would also be a nice addition. Agile swords make more sense for a Riding unit as fast as a pegasus is. Lances would be harder to swing at such speeds. Though it's a game so it's my own fault for thinking practically lmao.

Dude. Centaurs riding pegasi.

I'm suddenly reminded of Sully riding two horses in that one awkward zombie comic.

it appears we may get a Male Pegasus Rider

I believe that it was stated in Fire Emblem in one of Farina's support conversations that pegasi will only let women ride them.

I believe that it was stated in Fire Emblem in one of Farina's support conversations that pegasi will only let women ride them.

Not every Fire Emblem is necessarily in the same universe. The female-only pegasus rule was only ever explicitly stated in Elibe and is a retcon, at that, and does not necessarily apply to other worlds.

In FE3 there were male pegasus knights on the enemy side. Pegasus Knights promote to Dracoknights. There's no unpromoted Draco class in FE1/3/11/12. Minerva was recently portrayed as riding a pegasus in the TCG, and thus it is entirely possible that Michalis was once a peg knight himself.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Not every Fire Emblem is necessarily in the same universe. The female-only pegasus rule was only ever explicitly stated in Elibe and is a retcon, at that, and does not necessarily apply to other worlds.

In FE3 there were male pegasus knights on the enemy side. Pegasus Knights promote to Dracoknights. There's no unpromoted Draco class in FE1/3/11/12. Minerva was recently portrayed as riding a pegasus in the TCG, and thus it is entirely possible that Michalis was once a peg knight himself.

I've only played Fire Emblem and Awakening, so I didn't know about the male pegasus riders.

Hercules SHOULD have had a pegasus.

Nah, I stand corrected. Sort of. I always associated pegasi with manly warriors, not waifish ladies.

And troubadours usually are performers or something not healer maidens on horseys. Usually men, I think. Valkyries were women warrior guardians.

Fire Emblem is all sorts of backwards.

The traditional meaning of myrmidon also bears little resemblance to FE's take on it.

It's fine to have some FE settings where pegasi only accept female riders (though I find that a bit weird, myself) but those rules certainly don't have to apply to all settings. Compared to the settings' different takes on gods, laguz, manaketes, etc., a minor thing like who gets to ride a pegasus certainly shouldn't be set in stone.

Peg Knights with swords though would also be a nice addition. Agile swords make more sense for a Riding unit as fast as a pegasus is. Lances would be harder to swing at such speeds. Though it's a game so it's my own fault for thinking practically lmao.

So I'm really hoping for all gender restrictions to be lifted is my main point.

I always thought lances made more sense than axes or swords because they have a long reach, which is probably important when your mount is a large winged animal that likely won't get as close as a horse and foot soldier would.

It's noteworthy, for example, that Jill and Minerva carry poleaxe weapons in their official art.

Edited by NekoKnight

Ironically, this also applies to Elibe. Enemy Pegasus Knights have the male con/aid formula.

That just felt like laziness on the part of the designers, to be fair. The sprites the enemies use look fairly feminine to me. IIRC enemy troubadours and valkyries (even the unique bosses like Ursula? Not 100% certain) use the male formula too... not that it matters since it's a mechanic enemies can't use, so I can't really fault the designers too much here.

I always prefer classes to not be gender specific. I usually prefer using male healers (it breaks the norms :D ) and I also have always wanted a male peg rider :D I hope there's three for a triangle attack xD (Or he can work with the females for a triangle attack).

I don't see the problem with having male dancers in FE, Etrian Odyssey 4 had a dancer class and both male and female options and the costumes for the dudes wasn't stupid-looking either. Also, I think that gender restrictions on classes should be lifted, since most of them don't even really have a good reason for being in there. (Any particular reason why men can't heal on horseback or use staves and throw magic on horseback, when they can ride horses, heal, and shoot magic, and shoot magic on horseback fine?)