Gender-specific classes

FrostyFireMage

144 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on gender-locked classes in FE:if?

• There should be more.
    • There should be no change from previous games.
    • There should only be one gender-class class for each gender, such as Troubadour for women and Berserker for men.
    • There should be no difference between the classes available to each gender.

I don't think it was a coincidence. Of the playable manaketes (Bantu, Tiki, Fae, Myrrh, Nagi, Nowi, Nah and Morgan) 7 were girls and 5 of those are very young looking girls. With only a minor exception, "manakete" is as female associated as Pegasus knights are.

I'm not saying it was necessarily a coincidence, but rather about the ingame coding.

The class itself probably does not have a female-specific flag on it even though the characters are all female is what I'm saying, considering it would make even less sense to gendergate an entire race than just a class.

I mean it's possible that's their way of pseudogendergating it using characters only but I doubt it's in the class's actual coding to be female exclusive, unlike the other gendergated classes

Edited by Thor Odinson

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Female Fighters and Male Pegs are fine, though the troubadour line as is makes it pretty hard to make a good male design for the class. Female Brigands would also be strange. tbh, females get a better deal from genderlock than the males do.

I don't get the Manakete being seen as gender-lock thing. there are only two full manaketes in awakening, 4 with the class, and Morgan doesn't really count as she is female cause the rest are female. And tiki was already female, so really the only ones IS deiced to make female are Nowi and Nah. And the mysterious young Manakete girl is kinda tradition with this series anyway. You dont see me complaining that conquerer, king, queen, or emperor, is gender-locked

I'm all for female fighters/barbarians, but the idea of male peg knights is one I'm not too fond of. iirc pegasi only let women tame them (I might be wrong idk)

Considering how many FE's take place in different worlds than each other they don't really need consistent lore between two different universes.

Unless you mean in mythology, in which case you're mixing up an idea about unicorns. Pegasus was a winged horse that came out of Medusas neck when her head was cut off and was ridden by the guy who killed her.

There's really no logical reason not to have men on horses with staves or men on pegs. I've been expecting them to deviate from the tradition for some time now, just like they deviated from the "magic users must be squishies" archetype in Awakening.

I mean if Hercules can have a pegasus and be manly, so can you.

Edited by Crysta

Considering how many FE's take place in different worlds than each other they don't really need consistent lore between two different universes.

Unless you mean in mythology, in which case you're mixing up an idea about unicorns. Pegasus was a winged horse that came out of Medusas neck when her head was cut off and was ridden by the guy who killed her.

Eh, true. I'll warm up to the idea sooner or later as long as they dont bring galeforce back im good

I don't get the Manakete being seen as gender-lock thing. there are only two full manaketes in awakening, 4 with the class, and Morgan doesn't really count as she is female cause the rest are female. And tiki was already female, so really the only ones IS deiced to make female are Nowi and Nah. And the mysterious young Manakete girl is kinda tradition with this series anyway. You dont see me complaining that conquerer, king, queen, or emperor, is gender-locked

4 playable manaketes, full blood or half is irrelevant (this is a discussion of the class). I'll give you Tiki and Morgan as one is a reestablished character and the other is female by the breeding mechanics. Let's say Nowi has to be female in order to get a female Morgan. That still leaves Nah, who could very well have been a boy (like Yarne) but they decided we needed a FOURTH female manakete in one game. I think it's safe to say that IS discarded the idea of playable male manaketes early on. Bantu appears in FE1&3 and their remakes, obviously. We never got another male character.

Your comparison to conquerer, king, queen and emperor isn't valid because those classes are one of a kind in their games.

Let's say Tsubaki is our first male Pegasus Knight and Rinka is our first female fighter. If they never again mixed up the genderlock for Pegasus Knights and Fighters, would people be okay with that? Would they say "No, no, no. Look at Tsubaki and Rinka. Those classes aren't genderlocked. It just so happened that all the characters besides them were female (pegasus) and male (fighter)." That's why I'm not satisfied with where Manaketes are right now. (or were, rather)

Disclaimer: This isn't a deal breaker for me, it's just something I'm interested in seeing.

Edited by NekoKnight

Female Fighters and Male Pegs are fine, though the troubadour line as is makes it pretty hard to make a good male design for the class. Female Brigands would also be strange. tbh, females get a better deal from genderlock than the males do.

A competent designer can accomplish all that. You think it's hard because you don't do character design. It's trivial for people who are actually experienced in it.

Reminder that troubadour as word actually referred to men.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Heh, I don't know that to vote. :/

I think that they still should be gender-locked, I guess ?...

Though if reclassing come back, and if Pegasus knights are no longer gender-locked, holy shit, I'm going to have fun with MaleGaleforce.

Well, if Dark Flier make a come back that is.

I think that classes or counterparts should be available to characters of every gender. A female bandit, fighter, or berserker would be cool. Not to mention a male Pegasus knight, which we may have!

There's no reason men shouldn't be able to ride Pegasus unless it's some sort of cultural taboo.

On top of that I really wanted my Male MU to have Galeforce.

Edited by Sroy

I've always liked the idea of non-genderlocked classes.

Heck, I'm going to use an example here. Take the romhacking community of FE. Some people like the idea of certain genderlocked classes going to opposite gendered characters, like Male Peg Knights, and Female Monks (Made easier with the Lucius sprite. :x).

Another excellent example in the romhacking community where this is just amazing is with random reclass runs. Getting a peg knight Guy (Despite being shitty in my current run.) or a Berzerker Eirika is just absolutely hilarious, and leads players to want to use those units more.

What I'm getting at is, whenever a unit uses a class that's typically meant for the opposite gender, it tends to draw a lot of players into using those units because of how unique they are.

Edited by Nexas

Overall I also think that gender locked classes should go.

I don't really see a point in a certain class being gender exclusive,it is restricting and doesn't really offer anything in my opinion.

If a class is gender exclusive then it should have a counterpart for the other gender,like the cleric and priest.

However I dunno if genderlocked classes would actually play a role in if.

I mean we don't even know in which format reclassing appears(if it returns at all) and even then it wouldn't really affect the gameplay as long as kamui gets the same reclassing options regardless of gender(assuming he/she can't reclass into everything) and as long as children aren't a thing(or work differently from Awakening)

After all a class is technically not genderlocked just because you get only characters of the same gender for that class.For example in PoR you got only male thieves,but that didn't mean that thieves are exclusive to men,likewise all shamans were male only in FE8,but that was because you just didn't get a female one.

That's called a retcon.

It must be lonely when nobody replies to bait lol

Personally, I like the counterparts, but I wouldn't mind seeing change. Lots of things get renown and used simply by being exclusive rather than being good (exclusivity is a core characteristic in a lot of desirable things).

I say that we should have a gender for each class, except for unique classes of course. If females wanna be Berserkers and if men want to be Troubadours, them let them! No discrimination against classes and genders is my motto! No its no​t....

i know at one point, there was generic male pegasus knight enemies? (it was an earlier game i haven't played) so there's a definite possibility of male pega knights. which i would love, because i tend to not use knights b/c they're slow, and i love my falcon knights.

i mean, if fe14's lore conflicts with male pegasus knights being a thing, then that's fine. but if it doesn't, i see no reason why we couldn't have at least one available to us. i haven't seen any reason why that would be the case, however.

as for mounted male valkyries, sacred stones basically had that w/ ewan, if you made him a mage knight, so having male valkyries (to me) wouldn't be that much different. it would also be kind of fun, to be honest. going back to the design, though.... i have no clue how to make a male troubadour design to work, esp. considering past troubadour designs work. you could maybe retcon the war cleric outfit for that?

as for female fighters, that would be great! i'd love that, but i also wouldn't mind if a female equivalent of fighter came out, either. i'd just really love a t1 female axe user, tbh.

one problem i do see w/ less gender-locked classes, however, is that it could definitely cut down on the variety of characters you use, unless they get rid of reclassing (which.. swordmaster stahl, man).

in short, i do feel like gender-specific classing has its benefits, and i don't like the idea of getting rid of it completely. changing it up i'm fo, but in no way do i think getting rid of it or making it so it's basically nonexistant is a good idea.

What's the difference between a male character having access to Peg and say, Say'ri having access to Peg vs male character not having access to Peg and Sully not having access to Peg, though, in terms of character uniqueness

I mean reclass sets, if it returns and using this engine, theoretically should still be character dependent; If someone doesn't suit peg they're still not getting peg, the only difference now is that a man who does suit peg can have it, it's not like every female character had peg either as much as I'd like to because Galeforce

Edited by Thor Odinson

For me it seemed to work in older games with limited options as the character seemed completely designed for their class and the way you used them was partly on the way the class handled. It seems like making all classes available to both genders will work if it matches the character and it can make a unique sets.

Should a new thread be created speculating that this is just a Hoshido thing where gender rolls aren't restrictive. Could be a cultural difference that sets it apart form other nations.

Now, I am treating both genders with equal respect but this is just ridiculous.

There are differences between men and women both physically and mentally but that's not necessarily a bad thing. I don't see why we should act like we're all equal when we clearly aren't.

Why suddenly change that Pegasi can only trust women? Why make men Valkyries when that's not what Valkyries are?

I guess I could see a female Berserker, though I'm not completely sure.

(Again, quick reminder that realizing that men and women aren't equal doesn't mean you shouldn't treat others with respect regardless of which sex.)