Gender-specific classes

FrostyFireMage

144 members have voted

1. 1. What is your opinion on gender-locked classes in FE:if?

• There should be more.
    • There should be no change from previous games.
    • There should only be one gender-class class for each gender, such as Troubadour for women and Berserker for men.
    • There should be no difference between the classes available to each gender.

Not only do i think Fire emblem should not have gender specific classes, it should also allow homosexual relationships between characters in addition to heterosexual relationships. I think that it could become a trademark of Fire Emblem. Being open and accepting of all cultures. It would also support(hehe, SUPPORT, get it?) the theme of FEIF. If the game is really about big moral questions, and the different kinds of family, this should be a thing. Look, if Lucina can marry her brother or her cousin, we should be able to have guys marry other guys and girls marry other girls. (If this happened, I am pairing Sakura with Kazehana.)

Uhm lucina isn't able to marry her brother and cousins are pretty much in the "still kinda ok"-zone in many countries.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lucina can marry her nephew, though, which I sincerely hope it's more of a design/programming oversight than something intended. Has anyone seen Chrom!Inigo/Brady!Morgan x Lucina done to see the relationship status show up as spouse or "Companion"?

Lucina can marry her nephew, though, which I sincerely hope it's more of a design/programming oversight than something intended. Has anyone seen Chrom!Inigo/Brady!Morgan x Lucina done to see the relationship status show up as spouse or "Companion"?

IIRC, the display on those pairs are bugged, I think on one stat screen it says married and the other it says companion.

IIRC, the display on those pairs are bugged, I think on one stat screen it says married and the other it says companion.

Huh, okay. I think it being bugged prolly means that it wasn't really intentional anyway and when NA goes over to change things it wasn't entirely covered

or something

Man why don't they just store a family boolean in so whenever morgan is someone's niece/nephew it'd just deactivate the S rank support option between them

Edited by Thor Odinson

I always thought lances made more sense than axes or swords because they have a long reach, which is probably important when your mount is a large winged animal that likely won't get as close as a horse and foot soldier would.

It's noteworthy, for example, that Jill and Minerva carry poleaxe weapons in their official art.

From a mythology standpoint, Pegasi are so agile and maneuverable they can get inches from a target and change directions without a fraction of a second in between. Swords have always been preferred by the Greeks when riding Pegasi - (and regular horses when we're talking about something other than fantasy.)

Im not an expert on greek culture and myths, but isnt the main rider of pegasus Bellerophon who from what i can tell speared the chimera. And Perseus with pegasus i think is pretty new and he got his sword from hermes anyway and if you know anything about greek gods you don't freaking insult them.

On the possible male pegasus knight topic, what are peoples opinions on the generic painting pegasus knights in the first trailer?

they are hard to see and aren't technically real but it looks like at least one is wearing pants and the one that is close enough to see, his or hers face and hair seems male to me. And yes they are paintings but why would there be male pegasus knights in a painting if they don't exist.

I'm all for gender equality, but at the same time I can tolerate and even like some classes with opposite-gender versions. It never made sense to me why only females could ride pegasus, besides eye candy, and even then they could have just done as they did with dark knights in FE13 and have the dudes wear pants. On the other hand, classes like Valkyrie you can keep female-only and just make a male version with a different name, no problem. In fact, female beserker or warriror could be made and be called Amazon, again, no problem. But there really is no reason why most classes outside of this type of classes or character specific classes should be gender-locked. Design choices like having all pegasus riders and recent manaketes be female to me are more annoying than anything else, so I do hope they fixed this on IF.

Man, if the reason that peg's wearing pants is just because they're a dood I

well hey, guy peg, I'll take it.

Its not just the pants, but it is another piece of evidence to examine, also my view of pants on woman is irrelevant, its the designers view that matters in speculation and hinoka getting a skirt but one person of debated gender and some generics not having them is suspicious, also this is a bit out there but it is a painting (and in a video game) so they look generic, have no visible faces and look ambiguous, but if i were the painter and male pegasus riders didn't exist i would most likely give them something to make them look female so people wont fault my work as being unrealistic.

Its not just the pants, but it is another piece of evidence to examine, also my view of pants on woman is irrelevant, its the designers view that matters in speculation and hinoka getting a skirt but one person of debated gender and some generics not having them is suspicious, also this is a bit out there but it is a painting (and in a video game) so they look generic, have no visible faces and look ambiguous, but if i were the painter and male pegasus riders didn't exist i would most likely give them something to make them look female so people wont fault my work as being unrealistic.

I'm not directing this at you but just my general reaction at that

because ngl I was excited at FEMALE RIDERS GETTING PANTS and now my dreams are shattered but hey male pegs are cool too

really, though, realistically, a woman in full armor is not very distinguishable from a man in full armor js, so realistically the distinction is not always necessary, usually having to make the distinction when coming to armored units is actually less realism and more artistic liberties --which, is not necessarily a bad thing as long as the design looks good and generally makes sense

Edited by Thor Odinson

Well yeah i figured that was possible tbh it was a more of a lead in to reclaify my point. And i get your reaction pegs with pants ftw. But i would say yes full armour is not always easy to tell, IRL of course. But since it was a painting in universe i think that sort of artistic licence is pretty believable especially when if they are female and they keep to the female only thing male versions don't exist in universe. And on artistic licence for females in fire emblem i get the reasons for it in the sprite based games, and I'm fine if theres a bit if it for generic females but i would hope for some more practical designs for some players or major enemy characters, especially if it fits their characterization

Valkyrie specifically has been female locked, but let's not pretend that Mage Knight in FE8 wasn't the same damn thing. You could definitely have a male mage knight.

...You do know there are male Mage Knights in FE8 right. Ewan can become one. Or am I misunderstanding?

Edited by L95

^ I think your misunderstanding, what i got was that mage knights and valkires are pretty much the same thing in Fe8 and you can have a male mage mage knight in FE 8

^^ yes i know i was saying i agree but i would like it if some more units had more practical designs if it fit them.

...You do know there are male Mage Knights in FE8 right. Ewan can become one. Or am I misunderstanding?

You are misunderstanding. The Valkyrie class specifically has been female locked, but FE8 Mage Knights are virtually the same class (light magic vs. anima magic being the only real difference). So through the Mage Knight you can essentially have a male Valkyrie.

I'd like it if there were no gender locked classes but I don't mind having different names for female/male versions of the same class like priest/cleric or war monk/war cleric. I don't view that as gender locking.

Mythologically speaking, unicorns could be summoned by young, virginal maidens only, but Pegasus was a horse that belonged to Hercules (who obviously was a man), so the female-only Peg Knights makes no sense to me.

The Valkiriyes, I BELIEVE, were female warriors? But I'm not positive on that one.

Berserkers are traditionally all male, but that's less gender-locked...

Meh, we don't need classes exclusive to gender. It's unnecessary. Doesn't particularly bother me.

Edited by Respite&Nepenthe

^^ Valkires are norse and yes are female, but the base class is troubadour which i believe is traditionally masculine.

And though pegasus was riden by a male in his myth,(Bellerophon) it was not Heracles(or Hercules if Roman) who rode him. I think your I believe is better suited for that one.

Sorry if that sounded rude, but i dilike the misconceptions brought on by that movie.

Edited by goodperson707