How did you first get into Pokemon?

Jedi

I remember, being 6 years old. I actually didn't get Red or Blue, but my parents after they saw just how much I loved the show, got me Yellow version (and Silver version later on a birthday of mine I won't forget).

I absolutely adored the game, I beat it to the max. I still get chills hearing the opening theme. I may not be as big into Pokemon now, but back then.. It was my absolute favorite thing ever, I'd play it into the night, and even as far as Pokemon Stadium 2 my Yellow team did wonders on Prime Cup.

My Pikachu, Charizard, Venasaur, Blastoise, Persian (I traded for it from a friend) (later) Zapdos and Tauros were MY team.

My Parents also got into pokemon for a time thanks to me, we'd get the 3 versions and do all sorts of fun stuff.. Then they got busy with life, as did I.. But it was a golden time.

I still play the series, I just don't have the same love I did in the past, but I still adore this series.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember I used to hate pokemon when I was younger. Then in 3rd grade for some reason I really wanted to try one of the games as they sounded really fun. I went to GS and picked up pearl and I started out with chimchar. Decided I didn't like him 5 minutes in so I restarted and picked turtswig. Then the fun started. It was really good even though I sucked and pretty much used torterra most of the game.

It was before I was seven. I don't recall ever asking for it (or even knowing it existed), but I remember being at my grandparents' house for Christmas and getting the Blue version while my brother got the Red version.

We got pretty obsessed with it. Haha. I still got the Player's Guides for Gen 1, Gen 2, and Gen 3.

I still continue to play them but I think Pokemon changed quite a bit for me to continue loving them in the same way I did (talking more Gen VI here).

Back when Pokemon hit the UK, everyone was into it. We had an N64 and Pokemon Stadium anyway, my parents decided to get Red and Blue for my sister and I.

I think I got Red back in 1998 when i was 4. My brother got Blue. Iirc it was my first rpg lol. Charizard was my favorite as a kid and I overleveled him so much. He was like somewhere in the 60s while the rest of my team was in 30s against the E4. I didn't win haha.

My first Pokemon game was Crystal at the age of four. I had a Level 100 Typhlosion, a level 20-something Noctowl to use Fly, and a freakin' baby-level Tentacool for Surf. I remember first going to Mt. Silver and beating Red and feeling like a champ. The most awesome I felt was after getting myself lost in the Whirl Islands, finally finding and catching Lugia (my favorite Pokemon at the time). It's easily the most nostalgic game for me. The Goldenrod City theme was my favorite song, and I even remember beating Falkner and staying up really late (and trying to keep quiet so my parents wouldn't notice) to get from Olivine to Cianwood City. Ahh... good times.

I also played a ton of Pokemon Stadium, 1 and 2.

I've kind of lost my fervor with Pokemon lately. I was pretty disappointed with Gen 6 and most of what it brought, so it's all been a passing interest now.

The anime, the cards, and the N64 games (minus the first Pokemon Stadium). I sadly never got to own a mainstream title until I picked up Diamond and Pearl. Only my stepbrothers ever got Pokemon games... My parents never bought me any even though all THREE of us collected the cards, played the N64 games, and watched the anime.

But gen 4 remains my favorite gen, and I'm glad I started with it. :)

Back when Pokemon hit the UK, everyone was into it. We had an N64 and Pokemon Stadium anyway, my parents decided to get Red and Blue for my sister and I.

When did it hit the UK anyways? Was it different from us in the states?

The anime, the cards, and the N64 games (minus the first Pokemon Stadium). I sadly never got to own a mainstream title until I picked up Diamond and Pearl. Only my stepbrothers ever got Pokemon games... My parents never bought me any even though all THREE of us collected the cards, played the N64 games, and watched the anime.

But gen 4 remains my favorite gen, and I'm glad I started with it. :)

One of my youngest cousins started with Gen 4, its his favorite too.

Cripes, I don't know which came first; watching the anime, or my grandmother getting me Pokemon Blue and my first Gameboy Color when they came out (both of which I still have.) I even collected the cards, and I'll collect some from time-to-time(namely if I find them lying on the ground, like my Honedge card). Started with Bulbasaur.

I don't remember. My first ever memory was me playing Pokémon Blue, though, so I may have gotten into the franchise because of that. Or maybe the anime; I remember my fourth birthday party having a Pokémon theme

I watched Pokemon and Digimon anime a lot at the time (which lasted for a couple years until puberty when I stopped liking both; besides that never been an anime person), and naturally wanted my hands on the games as well. The Pokemon games were at least really good though! I shudder when I think about the hours of life I wasted away playing those atrocious PSX Digimon titles (okay, the Card Battle was pretty mint).

I got Red first, followed by a Crystal bootleg and the legal Gold version. Lost my interest for a good decade after playing Sapphire however, and only got back into it when Black/White were announced and some people I knew played those.

Edited by Espinosa

I was actually about eight years old, and I was in to the TCG, but not the video games. When HGSS came out, I gave it a shot. My first ever team was Meganium, Pokewalker Onix, an Infernape my friend traded me as a Chimchar, Gyarados, Snorlax, and Electabuzz. I was such a noob at the time, but I still yearn for the feeling of wonder I got when I first played Pokemon. Like if u crie every tiem.

A friend of mine gave me a Poliwag card waaaay back when the TCG was just starting. I thought it was the coolest thing ever.

Pokémon came out when I was in junior high. I didn't actually know there were video games (my parents were rather anti-gaming), but some friends of mine at school were into the TCG, so I started buying cards and learning how to play, and I also watched the anime. I started playing the games when an aunt of mine bought me a GBC and Pokémon Yellow as a present behind my parents' back; I don't even think she knew I was into Pokémon, so it was kind of a lucky coincidence. I got kind of pissed off at Gen 2 since it seemed like they were just adding a bunch of random new stuff for no reason, so I got out of Pokémon for a while until I bought my GBASP and was looking for some games for it and I picked up Sapphire. I stayed with the games after that, though I didn't get into the TCG again until HGSS-era, and only really started watching the anime again with XY since I saw a bit of Best Wishes and thought it was shit.

I sadly never got to own a mainstream title until I picked up Diamond and Pearl.

Funnily (or sadly?) enough, I skipped over Gen 4 except HGSS. There was that little period where my cousins (who were into Pokemon initially) made comments that playing Pokemon was being a baby. I was still impressionable enough to stop playing for that period.

Seriously? Pokemon isn't a baby game! A baby game would be those Leap Frog or V-Smile stuff, not Nintendo games. >.>

I only know about Leap Frog/V-Smile because my brother had those when he was a toddler/baby. I would play them with him too, because he had a Scooby Doo game. :P

My brother got Pokemon Red for his birthday back in the day. I played it as well, eventually got my own Pokemon Yellow, and have stuck with Pokemon since.

Seriously? Pokemon isn't a baby game! A baby game would be those Leap Frog or V-Smile stuff, not Nintendo games. >.>

It shouldn't come as a surprise. Pokemon is...well, I think this Awkward Zombie comic says it all:

GkZBtiq.png

You're still not a baby in grade school, even in kindergarten...

Besides, just as that comic shows, teens and adults can enjoy Pokemon too, there's nothing wrong with it. xP

You're still not a baby in grade school, even in kindergarten...

Besides, just as that comic shows, teens and adults can enjoy Pokemon too, there's nothing wrong with it. xP

Uh, you are completely missing the point.

Pokemon is one of those series commonly seen by younger teenagers as "kid stuff" (or "baby stuff," if you will). Younger kids and adults are more likely to enjoy it than those in the middle.