If nothing else, the major antagonists should actually be effective.

Saladus

You have Validar going around getting beaten and/or outmaneuvered outside of backstory.

You have Grima sitting around and having his forces chase the gemstones instead of freeing his present body ASAP.

Contrast them to Manfloy. Who actually wins outside of backstory.

Edited by Saladus

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He didn't need the gemstones. Grima was able to free his present body without them.

No he couldn't...? To awaken Grima, they needed two things: a vessel that would work (so Robin) and performing the Awakening ritual at the Dragon's Table. Which requires a complete Fire Emblem.

Edit: Really, the reason he went for the gemstones makes sense. The reason they're evil does not. Especially Validar.

Edited by Glaceon Lord

If the antagonists were actually effective, then you wouldn't be able to ever beat them, thus making the game unwinnable from the start. So what's the point of buying this game (let alone playing it)?

If the antagonists were actually effective, then you wouldn't be able to ever beat them, thus making the game unwinnable from the start. So what's the point of buying this game (let alone playing it)?

The antagonists should win at least a little to make them actually intimidating. Like how Gharnef comes after you early in FE1/11 and you can't beat him yet. (More of a gameplay example, but my point)

No he couldn't...? To awaken Grima, they needed two things: a vessel that would work (so Robin) and performing the Awakening ritual at the Dragon's Table. Which requires a complete Fire Emblem.

The present Robin didn't become Grima, and Validar failed to fetch all the gemstones. Grima still freed her present body.

He didn't need the gemstones or the present Robin.

Edited by Saladus

The present Robin didn't become Grima and Validar failed to fetch all the gemstones. Grima still freed her present body.

He didn't need the gemstones or the present Robin.

He wanted to alter Lucina's attempt at altering her future. Future!Robin was already Grima... I forget where I was going with this, FE13 is riddled with plot holes.

Grima was an eldricht abomination, sealed like Cthulhu.

But, anyway. Yes, that's a good point: a crafty and effective villain make a story a lot better.

Edited by ENS

I have a feeling that Ganon isn't the sole major antagonist, and that one of the antagonists is related to the Hoshido royal line. That would be interesting.

Anyway, a villain like Alvis, Manfroy and Lehran would be more than enough.

I'd like Garon to NOT say any of the following phrases:

"You can't defeat me, I'M INVINCIBLE."

"NO, IMPOSSIBLE." (proceeds to immediately die)

I know humility is asking for a lot, but it'd probably help them with their chances of success if they acknowledge something may go wrong with their grand evil scheme and they're ready to adapt to it.

Yeah, giving the antagonists small victories to move the plot is always a good idea. It doesn't has to be something so drastic as Alvis/Manfloy in FE4, but other things like Nergal kidnapping Ninian, or Lyon using stupid plot powers to destroy the sacred stone. It's cool to have antagonists that actually do things.

I'm at least asking for semi competence and more of a reason then "cause i'm evil" or "religion"

i hate it when games use religion as a plot device to make characters evil.

Eh, it's happened through out history, though i do hope it's something more this time. Walhart actually had a reason for his actions, instead of arbitrary invasion.

I'm at least asking for semi competence and more of a reason then "cause i'm evil" or "religion"

i hate it when games use religion as a plot device to make characters evil.

Is it a problem if the worshipers have a developed ideology, unlike the Grimleal? Edited by Saladus

Is it a problem if the worshipers have a developed ideology?

its not as long as it makes some sense and they go into detail with the explanation.

none of this "people worship an evil dragon that eats them because..." they have a vore fetish? i dunno i'm just guessing here.

Eh, it's happened through out history, though i do hope it's something more this time. Walhart actually had a reason for his actions, instead of arbitrary invasion.

i know it has but i see it so often and so many times its underdeveloped, as someone of religion i don't entirely like it

The Grimleal had literally no motivation to worship Grima(I could imagine a few crazies taking to him, but not a large population), the Lopt peeps had an empire promised to them (which Loptyr even delivered on), Grima didn't even bother to lie with something like "you get to go to an awesome afterlife! in my stomach."

Edited by L95

Don't a lot of games do this already? Many games start with an enemy nation rofl stomping your country or perhaps several (Path of Radiance and Sealed Sword) so that's a villain victory. As mentioned before, Blazing Sword had Nergal continuing to wreck everyone's shit throughout the game and Sacred Stone's Lyon destroyed ALL of the stones except for one.

The Grimleal had literally no motivation to worship Grima(I could imagine a few crazies taking to him, but not a large population), the Lopt peeps had an empire promised to them (which Loptyr even delivered on), Grima didn't even bother to lie with something like "you get to go to an awesome afterlife! in my stomach."

Very much this, the Grimleal would have made much more interesting baddies if their religion made any sense whatsoever. Worship the fell dragon so that your soul can be devoured by it just like everyone else? What is the point? I could understand a handful of children being conditioned from birth to find some twisted strand of logic there but an entire nation? No, that's absurd.

Very much this, the Grimleal would have made much more interesting baddies if their religion made any sense whatsoever. Worship the fell dragon so that your soul can be devoured by it just like everyone else? What is the point? I could understand a handful of children being conditioned from birth to find some twisted strand of logic there but an entire nation? No, that's absurd.

Well, they have a choice: either deal with Gangrel and his idiocy and oppresiveness...as well as poverty and ruin after his death, or worship a doomsday cult. Apparently, people chose doomsday cult over pain and suffering.

That's not acceptable. The game never properly addresses what the Grimleal get out of helping Grima. No civilization has had ''destroy humanity'' as a cause among the major worshipers. Satanists at large don't. Neither did the worshipers of Quetzalcoatl.

Edited by Saladus