2HU FOR DUMMIES

ZemZem

ZeMu's Touhou for Dummies v1.00

Alright, where to start.

I've been contemplating in school today about how to do this thread while my precalculus homework sat abandoned on my desk. I was thinking about going in-depth about the series, but if you want that, then go here: http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Touhou_Wiki

Instead I'm going to talk about misconceptions I've been seeing about the series here on SF, since what I usually see being reactions to Touhou here are: "ew lolis", "2hu sux", "weeb bait", etc. Now, I don't think that some members of fanbase here do it any justice and only dig a deeper grave for themselves, but I might delve into that later.

Anyway, Touhou Project is a series owned by ZUN with games created by Shanghai Alice. The vast majority of the official games (14 in total) are vertical shooters. They are popular shumps, and it isn't uncommon to see people say "omg i can't do that shit you must be god" when they see something like this:

[spoiler=PCB Lunatic Stage 6]lR0KvGX.jpg

There are four difficulties in total: Easy, Normal, Hard, Lunatic. The higher you climb, the harder things will be. There are also difficulties such as Extra, Phantasm (PCB only), Last Word (IN only), and Overdrive (TD only), but the main four that I listed are the ones I'm mainly referring to.

The series is also quite well known due to the fact that most of the cast are female. Cool beans, huh? I guess so. So how did something as simple as this get so popular? Well, the music played a huge role and it isn't hard to find various music remixes on YouTube. As said before, the large cast of females (currently 130) also plays a role. Though due to ZUN's drawing style not being the greatest:

[spoiler=Remilia's OA from EoSD]EkJsqkz.png

Fans have taken the liberty to draw the characters with how they perceive them:

[spoiler=Remilia fan art]wZiFter.jpg

Over the years, the designs have been pretty much accepted as a whole (and it helps that the fighters + GFW have had some characters with pretty rad designs via Alphes).

Now, the Touhou fandom is quite infamous for things relating to the things I listed above. A lot of those who play on Lunatic tend to be rather elitist, viewing anyone that plays on the lower difficulties as inferior. That sure doesn't make them look good. Then there are people who are just in the series for the girls, which I've seen piss off many fans.

IMO, if you're going to join the series just to gawk at fan art, then you better also play the games or do something else related. That right there is probably my biggest pet peeve regarding Touhou and most of the reason why I'm even making this thread. Seriously, the series isn't that hard to get into. There are official doujin works you can read, hundreds of fangames created you can play, the fighters you can play, the music remixes you can enjoy, lore you can research, etc.

tl;dr: Touhou Project is great. I wish that the fanbase didn't make it as infamous as it is. There are tons of things to do in the series, so find something and stick with it instead of just being in it for the 'waifu business'.

I guess that's that.

EDIT: there's also this:

[spoiler=video of stuff]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7lHJXPKoX0

Edited by -Spring-

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

and there is a fanbase for this shit? lol?

it's best you don't dig too deep into this fanbase

for your own safety

put this zeem

but the melodious sound of my keyboard

touhou is fun but it attracts

people

lolicons?

and there is a fanbase for this shit? lol?

funny, huh?

it's not the tumblr Touhou fanbase so you're safe

the confessions speak louder than words

Touhou is pretty fun.

Also, regarding ZUN's art, he has gotten a bit better recently, I like some of the TD and DDC art, for what it's worth.

Oh yeah, and if you're intimidated by the screenshot ZM posted, Play IN Easy first. Thing's a joke.

I feel like Sanae's comment on waifus might be the equivalent of generic non-2Hu fans toward 2Hu fans

[spoiler=Sanae]cb2.jpg

Jokes aside, I love the music, but I haven't played even one. I'm a bit too lazy to even try one, but it remains intriguing somewhat.

I feel like Sanae's comment on waifus might be the equivalent of generic non-2Hu fans toward 2Hu fans

[spoiler=Sanae]cb2.jpg

Jokes aside, I love the music, but I haven't played even one. I'm a bit too lazy to even try one, but it remains intriguing somewhat.

Why is the frog drooling

Why does the cloth band thing look like that

WHY DOES THE SNAKE WIND UPWARD.

I'M SO CONFUSED

[spoiler=For reference]ThGKSanae.pngTh123Sanae.png

[spoiler=Sanae]cb2.jpg

Capri <3

we should hold a pofv tournament

no

If anyone uses Medicine I'll fucking kill them

we don't condone that behavior here missy

I'm now happier that I visited this thread

b-but what about me