Final Fantasy Dissidia Arcade: Garland confirmed

Jedi

News Update for Dissidia 2015:

Bartz and Squall have officially been revealed (not that there was any doubt of them not being playable =P). Bartz has been changed up significantly moveset-wise (he's got a new arrow shot attack, though I'm not sure if it's him mimicking another character or an original move for him). And it's good to see Squall's combo blade attacks are just as brutal and cool looking as ever. Squall also has drawing spells out of opponents as a move in Dissidia now, though I don't know if that steals brave or what it does exactly mechanics-wise.

Edited by Randoman

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Squall also has drawing spells out of opponents as a move in Dissidia now, though I don't know if that steals brave or what it does exactly mechanics-wise.

Maybe it's "charging" his magic attacks. Edited by ScarletFlame

One thing that occurred to me regarding Bartz in Dissidia (2015): his fighting style has always revolved around copying his allies attacks from other Final Fantasy games, and Dissidia (2015) will have a starting roster of the FF leads (mascots in FFXI and XIV's case) which'll only consist of 14 characters initially, with more good guy characters being added later on.

Do you think Bartz' moveset will only borrow moves from the other 13 characters, have Bartz' moves updated to use moves from the newer good guy characters that get added, or do you think Square Enix will just give him a moveset that's completely FFV related to avoid the issue of not all good guy characters being represented in Bartz' mimicry moveset?

Maybe it's "charging" his magic attacks.

Ah, that might be a reasonable possibility.

One thing that occurred to me regarding Bartz in Dissidia (2015): his fighting style has always revolved around copying his allies attacks from other Final Fantasy games, and Dissidia (2015) will have a starting roster of the FF leads (mascots in FFXI and XIV's case) which'll only consist of 14 characters initially, with more good guy characters being added later on.

Do you think Bartz' moveset will only borrow moves from the other 13 characters, have Bartz' moves updated to use moves from the newer good guy characters that get added, or do you think Square Enix will just give him a moveset that's completely FFV related to avoid the issue of not all good guy characters being represented in Bartz' mimicry moveset?

He'll just mimic who is available, like look at Dissidia 012, his moveset got completely overhauled. To show off the new characters stuff, (I prefer his moveset in the first game).

Anyone remember how broken Magic Pot was? Copying someone with 9999 bravery and then one shotting them with a HP attack.

I really hope summons are toned down.

Summons like Odin(Who automatically breaks a target) and Bahumant need the nerf hammer. By the way 50 characters?! Calling it now, 2/4 of the characters will be from 7 and 13.( but Zack Fair is cool so it's ok).

I doubt they'll go quite that overboard, they may with 7. I'd actually expect to see quite a few from 4 because thats like the one FF other then 6 that everyone can agree on being solid.

Characters I can see being in:

4: Cecil , Kain, Rosa, Golbez, Edge

6: Terra, SABIN, Kefka, Shadow? Maybe Edgar?

For the FF 4 character's I wouldn't mind if a character from FF 4:the after years showed up

but your choice's for 6 are great.

For 6, I'd go with Terra, Kefka, Setzer, and one of the Figaro brothers. Setzer can throw cards and dice, Sabin can Pummel things (but no suplexing trains, WTF), and Edgar can play keep-away with his tools.

It's quite hard to tell if summons are toned down at this point since they work completely differently (with them needing lots of charging up before use and them supposedly affecting the battlefield).

As for representation among the different FFs, I'm kind of hoping for at least 3 characters for each mainstream FF, though for FF1 and 3, finding a 3rd rep may be quite tough...

He'll just mimic who is available, like look at Dissidia 012, his moveset got completely overhauled. To show off the new characters stuff, (I prefer his moveset in the first game).

So you mean Bartz' will mimic moves from the first 13 characters? Well, that makes sense. It is the easiest to implement between the three scenarios that I listed.

I also prefer Bartz' moveset from the first game over the second. I really like how Bartz' copied exactly two moves/move parts from each character and how each of the other 9 FF leads' movesets were represented very balancely as a result. Dissidia 012's Bartz' moveset was quite biased towards the newcomers like Lightning and Kain, and I preferred the first Dissidia's moveset balance for Bartz better. That, and something about Bartz wielding a laser cannon when he can't do that in FFV canonically really weirds me out since Bartz canonically doesn't use anything that even remotely resembles a laser cannon in FFV.

Come to think of it, how will Cecil work now? With one HP move being usable at a time, his transformation method will have to be adjusted accordingly. Maybe they'll make Cecil an exception to 1 usable HP move at a time due to his dual form nature? I can't imagine him changing using brave attacks in the ground/air, since that'd defeat the purpose of each form's strengths.

For 6, I'd go with Terra, Kefka, Setzer, and one of the Figaro brothers. Setzer can throw cards and dice, Sabin can Pummel things (but no suplexing trains, WTF), and Edgar can play keep-away with his tools.

But what about Celes? She's the main for the second half! good choices though.

So you mean Bartz' will mimic moves from the first 13 characters? Well, that makes sense. It is the easiest to implement between the three scenarios that I listed.

I also prefer Bartz' moveset from the first game over the second. I really like how Bartz' copied exactly two moves/move parts from each character and how each of the other 9 FF leads' movesets were represented very balancely as a result. Dissidia 012's Bartz' moveset was quite biased towards the newcomers like Lightning and Kain, and I preferred the first Dissidia's moveset balance for Bartz better. That, and something about Bartz wielding a laser cannon when he can't do that in FFV canonically really weirds me out since Bartz canonically doesn't use anything that even remotely resembles a laser cannon in FFV.

Come to think of it, how will Cecil work now? With one HP move being usable at a time, his transformation method will have to be adjusted accordingly. Maybe they'll make Cecil an exception to 1 usable HP move at a time due to his dual form nature? I can't imagine him changing using brave attacks in the ground/air, since that'd defeat the purpose of each form's strengths.

Well to be fair, Bartz was coping other people, laser cannon was Laguna's so yeah.

Also not sure how Cecil will work, he may just be full on Paladin now, as much as I like the dual nature. Heck this may be why we haven't seen him yet, probably unsure how to have him work.

Edit: some Brave moves of his did shift him, oh Ninja'd

Edited by Jedi

It's quite hard to tell if summons are toned down at this point since they work completely differently (with them needing lots of charging up before use and them supposedly affecting the battlefield).

As for representation among the different FFs, I'm kind of hoping for at least 3 characters for each mainstream FF, though for FF1 and 3, finding a 3rd rep may be quite tough...

There were several bravery moves in Dissidia and 012 that allowed Cecil to change into a Paladin and Dark Knight without having use HP attacks.

Well to be fair, Bartz was coping other people, laser cannon was Laguna's so yeah.

Also not sure how Cecil will work, he may just be full on Paladin now, as much as I like the dual nature. Heck this may be why we haven't seen him yet, probably unsure how to have him work.

True, but since everyone Bartz copied was using weapons/spells similar enough to what he can canonically use in FInal Fantasy V (eg: swords, shields, spears, knives, axes, Holy, Flare, etc.), I didn't find it so weird. Even weapons like Squall's gunblade and Cloud's Buster Sword I found similar enough to regular swords that I didn't find it too weird for Bartz to use them. And although Bartz technically can't cast Flood, I found that it was close enough to Aqua Breath and wasn't too out of place. Laguna's Ragnarok cannon, however, just seemed way too out of place for me since guns/laser cannons aren't something playable characters can use in Final Fantasy V.

I guess my mind personally just registers Bartz using a laser cannon as really weird for some reason.

I actually wouldn't mind if they stuck with Paladin Cecil as a full character especially since I always stuck with that form. And I think you're actually right about devs having trouble deciding what to do with him. I mean, the dual forms was Cecil's most iconic gameplay trait in Dissidia.

I'm also rather curious about Shantotto's HP attacks, since in the previous games she always started with all of them at level 1 and was able to chain 3 of them together. With only 1 HP attack being available at a time, I really wonder what they're doing for her.

There were several bravery moves in Dissidia and 012 that allowed Cecil to change into a Paladin and Dark Knight without having use HP attacks.

Oh yeah, I forgot about those. I guess they might stick with having those transforming brave moves as Cecil's main transforming method rather than his HP moves.

Mimics always been a weird thing, I can see the powers of it being quite expansive in a combined verse like Dissidia does.

FF has always had weird mixtures of technology and medieval stuff.

All this talk of Bartz made me look up this cutscene because it was cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tbyc0aU7aKo

I remember doing some Preset arcade stuff on youtube ages ago.. You mentioned Exdeath lol. (Also I sucked with him back when I did these)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5Wb_9umAUo&index=12&list=PL6DB7CFEB2DC3B33C

Then some with my Main

Wow this was 4 years ago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0iuseQ7JU0

Edited by Jedi

Benjamin from Mystic Quest or riot

Oh man it's been years since I played Dissidia, I think I plugged like 300 hrs on duodecim or something but then my PSP broke and I didn't really wanna shell out the money for a new one. As long as Sabin is playable at some point I'll be super happy with this game because I want to suplex everyone and everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2u84cH_bmTA

SUPLEX.

Also according to the final fantasy wiki

http://finalfantasy.wikia.com/wiki/Dissidia_Final_Fantasy_%282015%29

Upon the game's initial release, its cast of playable characters will only be 14, however it is the developers goal to get the number of playable characters over 50 with a series of updates to come post release. The developers have even said that once the 50 characters are finished, they would like to include even more as to them "50 feels like a small number". They also wish for all characters playable in the previous Dissidia titles to return.

Takeo Kujiraoka and Yosuke Hayashi of Team Ninja are considering adding Noctis Lucis Caelum after the release of Final Fantasy XV. Tetsuya Nomura has said he'd like to see Minwu in the game, but there has been no statement from the development staff on his inclusion otherwise. Team Ninja has also stated they have no plans to include Dead or Alive characters in the game.

• 4 months later...

That trailer really brings back the memories oh how epic and awesome Dissidia is. If only I could re-borrow it and a PSP from my friend... (he's really busy with work and paying off his new house, so it's really hard to contact him)

Also, it's really neat to see all 14 of the Final Fantasy protagonists (or mascots, in a way, for Final Fantasy XI and XIV) in full HD. It's awesome that Cecil Harvey (one of my most favourite characters in gaming) finally makes his debut in HD, and he's looking awesome and radiant.

This is the PS4 game I'm looking forward to the most, along with Street Fighter V.