Using Lower Tier Characters

Zasplach

I'm sitting here running through Holy War again with the intent purpose of promoting and breeding units that I have never used before (Noish, Dew, and Ardan). Well, I'm sitting at Anphony castle and finding myself having some difficulty with the later two. I already know how I'm going to breed them:

Ardan-Arya, cause Arya's kids can't be messed up

Dew-Lachesis cause I've heard about their conversation,but never read it

Noish-Fury cause great skill set and letting Noish actually talk

I'm just having a hard time training Ardan and Dew (Noish is easy, give him the skill ring, and chip for him). I figure I need to give Dew the light sword and let him fight the cross knights, what level does he need to be reliable at this? Any other ways to help him out? And Ardan, I just don't know, maybe have him fight the Madino pirates with the brave sword or something.

Basically, does anyone have any way to make leveling them any less tedious?

Dew can essentially handle the Cross Knights at like level 6, which isn't too hard for him to get to in his existence. Ardan can do some work in chapters 1 and 3. If Ardan keeps the pursuit ring, he can double virtually anything that uses a lance or an axe.

Noish Fury is actually pretty good and what I usually do if I do Levin Tilityu. The only issue is Sety's magic can get RNG screwed but it's not awful considering he has Lightning.

I usually do Dew Ayra and it turns out great, I suppose you could do Ardan Tiltyu but that's just a bad version of Lex Tiltyu.

Also don't forget there are 6 civilians to save in Chapter 4. The only issue is Ardan can't cross mountains, even when he's promoted, but I think they'll run over them towards the bridge?

Haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that ardenXaria is one of the better aria pairings, and is done pretty frequently if lex is taken. Arden's one notable advantage over lex is sword inheritance, even if that does not meen as much as it might.

Edited by sirmola

Haven't tried it myself, but I've heard that ardenXaria is one of the better aria pairings, and is done pretty frequently if lex is taken. Arden's one notable advantage over lex is sword inheritance, even if that does not meen as much as it might.

I'd personally put him behind Lex, Holyn, Dew, Noish, Jamka and maybe even like Beowulf or Midale. It's not that the kids don't work, it's just that there are other things to offer them than Ambush and a decent Str/Def growth.

If you use the Prayer Sword glitch Dew can easily clear the arenas of Ch.2, Ch.3 and Ch.4 with the Elite Ring equipped. Dew x Lachesis is a pretty bad pairing. If you wanna pair up Dew with somebody then Aira, Briggid and Aideen are better options. Noish though is actually one of the best fathers in the entire first generation because he passes down swords and amazing skills. As long as you don't pair him up with Tiltyu or Aideen you'll get at least one amazing kid out of it.

Ardan isn't even that bad a father btw. He can be paired up with Aira and - surprisingly - Tiltyu for some pretty decent results. Ardan x Fury gives you a pretty good Fee [at the expense of a good Sety though] and promoted

Ardan can actually pass down Bows to Lester if you do Ardan x Aideen - a Pursuit Ring would probably be essential in that case though.

Edited by Yojinbo

If you use the Prayer Sword glitch Dew can easily clear the arenas of Ch.2, Ch.3 and Ch.4 with the Elite Ring equipped. Dew x Lachesis is a pretty bad pairing. If you wanna pair up Dew with somebody then Aira, Briggid and Aideen are better options. Noish though is actually one of the best fathers in the entire first generation because he passes down swords and amazing skills. As long as you don't pair him up with Tiltyu or Aideen you'll get at least one amazing kid out of it.

Ardan isn't even that bad a father btw. He can be paired up with Aira and - surprisingly - Tiltyu for some pretty decent results. Ardan x Fury gives you a pretty good Fee [at the expense of a good Sety though] and promoted

Ardan can actually pass down Bows to Lester if you do Ardan x Aideen - a Pursuit Ring would probably be essential in that case though.

DewXsilvia is also really good, because both kids appreciate bargin, neither need pursuit, leen apreciates sun sword more than most combat skills (although she will probably not deal more than one damage without a magic sword), and dew gives slightly more magic than any other physical dad. Keep in mind that the best bow that arden can pass down is the killer bow. Arden can't equip the silver bow, and you can't get the hero bow in gen 1 if you do this pairing.

Thanks everybody, I'll keep the advice in mind.

I know that the pairings aren't that optimal, but the 2nd gen is easy and I just can't resist the potential hilarity of that conversation between Dew and Lachesis.

More thoughts:

I always intend to use Noish because I know he's a great father, but I think I normally just feed the experience he needs to Azel (I like him too much)

And Ardan is just so slow, it's painful to watch and I figure the big Thowmp and the foreign princess is a funny story

JamkaxLachesis w/pursuit ring is a fun combo.

ClaudexTiltyu is fun too, but Artur would want that pursuit ring+wind.

I think it's near impossible to fuck up Fee and Sety. That hero lance+power ring make fee pretty darn good, and Sety is always unfuckable.

Edited by Howard the Duck

C-Staves is kinda poinless on Fee because she'll never use Return but B-Staves allows her to cover huge distances with Libro and Restore which I find particularly handy to have in the last two chapters. She won't really need to ever use any other staff but I think those two are kinda worth it just cause of the sheer amount of Sleep Staffs in the last two chapters. Her magic growth will be good enough for her to use Fire or Thunder Sword later - she'll need a magic ring in the beginning though but she's a competent fighter.

The high resistance is what I find most appealing about Claude!Fee, she can traverse the gauntlet of sleep staff users in the last two chapters. It's not like she needs more skills, pursuit and continue are sufficient, she pretty much has complete claim to the hero lance as well, which gets lots of use in the first gen, mostly due to being the main of leveling tool of Finn and Fury, so it always ends up with critical for me, and lastly those long range libro uses can come in pretty handy over the mountains, along with some magic sword utility.

Who else wants the second Power Ring BUT Fee? Claude!Fee is quite a great unit for all of the listed reasons. She can still fight competently with the Hero Lance (who else uses it besides Fatherless!Fin?), uses Magic Swords VERY well, and mounted Libro/Warp/Restore is helpful.

why would you give somebody that has like 12 strength your power ring

its much better to give it to someone who actually does damage.

I'd much rather give the hero lance to Fin than Claude Fee as well. She does use magic swords alright upon promotion.

Edited by General Horace

I haven't done the pairing, but Claud!Fee seems better with a magic ring. Levin!Fee wants the power ring because she can damage things after Levin's +5 str convo, and Critical and continue are really good skills. Power ring does pretty good on Oifey or someone, I guess. Or Patty.

I haven't done the pairing, but Claud!Fee seems better with a magic ring. Levin!Fee wants the power ring because she can damage things after Levin's +5 str convo, and Critical and continue are really good skills. Power ring does pretty good on Oifey or someone, I guess. Or Patty.

Or arthur if you decide to try any of the three gimick tiltyu pairings that abuse wrath (lex, fin, or arden, in order of how much people tend to like them, although you might try arden for this perticular run.) THese tend to end up with an Arthur that has higher strength than magic, and really likes the hero sword, but his strength cap is only 20.

My way for Dew to gain some levels was to grind him on Gandolf, but I guess thats too late now. Dew has a high chance of dodging his attacks and I don't think Gandolf can one shot him even at base. Normally that won't be needed, but Dew's base attack and weapon rank are so completely awfull until promotion that he needs every chance he can get if he wants to get levels. After promotion Dew wil be able to carry his weight around.

Noish is not so tricky. He might not double, but he's good for some chip damage and the occasionall critical hit. His movement makes him entering the fray a lot easier.

I never bothered with using Ardan so I can't say anything about that.

Havn't tried it myself but i've heard that noishXaria is very good. The swordtwins' absurd skill makes them love crit. (especialy given that crit can activate during astra in this game). A decent time to train dew is when you first get him. You can park him on the church near where he spawns while aideen runs for it. This is a little risky due to the boss's hit rate though, plus he can break his sword if you don't hurry.

NoishxAyra is the best twins pairing. Scathach can fight without too much trouble and Lakche is a beast. She completely trivializes the endgame arena, and is almost pretty much a delete button with a chance to activate Astra and then have a chance to crit on those Astras. Give her the high kill silver sword for more brokenness.