[FE8] [Complete] The Sun God's Wrath (Final release 5/22/2022 - 27 Chapters)

Blademaster!

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

14 hours ago, Rewind said:

Thanks Blademaster. I always recommend your hack to my friends interested in romhacks. Happy 3H to you too; which house did you pick by the way?

Thank you for spreading awareness about this hack.

I picked black eagles as I just decided who ever I rolled in Heroes would be the route I pick, and I got Edelgard.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I didn't like any ideas I had about how to implement third tier magic using classes, so I just left it at two. I don't want to spend any more time working on new classes. I just want to finish the events and supports. Then I'll be able to finally release a complete product.

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/18/2019 at 6:40 PM, AdieGS said:

Excuse me, i want to report that Relina Valkyrie (Tier2) is bug when she attack, the game was hang... Please fix it

thanks 😊

Can you provide more information, such as what weapon she was using? 

Hello! I just wanted to say, I've been watching this since the beginning, and have been hesitant on trying it because it was so short, I don't play unfinished hacks. However over time I watched and observed the new updates and saw this grow and improve, I saw the new update yesterday and my patience has cracked!! Now I'm playing it and enjoying it immensely. Will be so sad when its over and have to wait but I can see the time spent on this was not small or wasted, this is a really great hack! So i will build my patience back up! I am enjoying your story line, and seriously cannot wait for your last update even though i haven't completed the current content atm. xD Thank you so much for making this, and i really look forward to the finale! 😉

Positive side notes:

- I normally avoid using brigands, but then I saw you made a female, palette and all. Much congrats on that, so rare lol.  Brix gets doubled constantly at the start but end game shes a power house! Well worth the investment.

- I liked how much more challenging you made this hack, encouraging fast clearing and making use of the steal skill to make money. 

- Honestly, too many mages, but i do like how each one has different stat growths and specialties/skills so you can pick and choose which ones to compliment your team.  

- Was absolutely shocked to see an FE game with NO arena lol... I abuse arena, so was pleasantly surprised removing it didn't mess with character growth. 

- Noticed some interesting new classes, always love seeing new content 🙂

Negative Side Notes:

- Hated how you made the heal staff so expensive lmao.

- Basic pricing in general seemed a bit over the top for most items, but i suppose that helps add to difficulty. Still Grr though. 

Bugs I Found:

- The game froze when I got Astrea to talk to Baine just before the quick clear, which prevented me from getting that nice magic sword 😞

- Chapter 14 when Joanna tries to use the dragon vein the game freezes. 

- Promoted Nell attacking or being attacked with wind equipped freezes the game, also with Lightning if she attacks twice. 

Edited by Thorgrun

Thank you for the feedback and I'm glad you're enjoying the hack!

Two of the bugs you mention I believe should have been fixed in the most recent patch. If this is still not the case, I will double check this weekend (in addition to the other bug mentioned in the thread).

I have never experienced the Joanne bug before. I will take a look at it.

In terms of pricing, I felt some items may be too cheap, but I rarely found the need to buy any.

In regards to magic users, because of all the new spells added in the hack, I wanted to add in a bunch of people that could use them. I also put in a bunch of them because I wanted to make the hack easier to iron man so people can just feel comfortable playing through and not worrying too much about losing a unit.

• 2 weeks later...

No, I just finished all routes of Three Houses this week.

Next weekend, as this weekend I am busy, I'm hoping to finish up the previous chapter I was trying to finish before 3H came out and update the animation for Astrea's promotion.

Edited by Blademaster!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wasn't able to fully reach my goal for the month, but chapter 20 is about 75% complete.

bWDvuVL.pngJeqCv4D.pngZElv0hN.png

hcgKEwN.pngYDZKGNd.pngBy8okmO.png

Still have lots of balancing to do. And apparently there's an odd issue with the female Valkyrie lance animation? Haven't heard anything about it before, but I'll see what I can do.

Edited by Blademaster!

• 1 month later...

I'm well behind in my monthly updates here, so I figured I'd share some incomplete screens of chapter 21 to make up for being late. The chapter is about 90% done.

FiQTrzG.png04eNQkJ.pngvbUW1q0.png

7zE6bUT.pngAQNvqUF.pngV0dmoCe.png

When I finish this chapter, I'm probably going to do some ROM cleanup so that I actually know what's in my base ROM (other than graphics and music, I no longer really remember honestly) and then I'll see about adding in the strength/magic split, some of the other cool recently released hacks like holy blood, and some more hybrid classes/branching promotion.

Edited by Blademaster!

• 2 weeks later...

I am currently playing this hack, and I really enjoy it. The level design of the first eight chapters is very good - I found it both challenging and rewarding. However, I do have some criticisms.

In Chapter 7, I noticed that the breakable walls do not break. Or at least, the wall tile doesn't change after breaking. This is just a nitpick, but it looks like there is a rug on top of another rug in the main spawn area. I finally beat the chapter with the angelic robe on my fifth attempt.

In chapter 8, I find it strange how the Maelduins and Mogalls are placed - you're basically forced to turtle on the first turn. In other words, putting enemies with high mov on an open field is very scary. 

However, I liked that you have to have Ren face off against the mage knight, whatever-his-name.

I know you're getting criticism regarding unit placement at choke points, but I like that. It serves as a milestone for the player to reach when replaying. 

Another criticism I have is the Anna/Jake house situation. If you want to get their hints, you have to visit houses. However, visiting houses makes it harder to get the fast clear bonus. When I went to their house in chapter 8, I had no idea what they were saying because I missed them the last time. They assume you remember the names of all the bosses in the previous chapters, which I don't. Also, I found the first hint they give you (whenever that is) to be extremely vague. I think it was "sometimes you shouldn't kill bosses". Like, what chapter is this referring to?

That brings me to by biggest criticism - the writing. It needs a lot of work, in my opinion. The story is fine, but the script does not tell it effectively. There are a lot of sentences with strange structure. Honestly, I had a hard time maintaining interest in the story because of it. While the stories of the official games are nothing special (for the most part), the dialogue is interesting enough for fans to become lorekeepers who can recant support conversations and the background of chapters with a high degree of accuracy. I don't see that happening with this game in its current state. What I recommend is to find a good writer in this community to help you with the script. 

Edit: Now having played more chapters, I noticed that the writing is much better! So, my previous comment only applies to the first eight.

Also, in the FEE3 video for this hack, the units had growth scrolls. However, in my game, the first growth scroll didn't appear until Derek had one in Chapter 7. Did I miss them, and when?

Thank you for reading!

Edited by ChivesKirk

On 11/23/2019 at 10:15 AM, ChivesKirk said:

I am currently playing this hack, and I really enjoy it. The level design of the first eight chapters is very good - I found it both challenging and rewarding. However, I do have some criticisms.

In Chapter 7, I noticed that the breakable walls do not break. Or at least, the wall tile doesn't change after breaking. This is just a nitpick, but it looks like there is a rug on top of another rug in the main spawn area. I finally beat the chapter with the angelic robe on my fifth attempt.

In chapter 8, I find it strange how the Maelduins and Mogalls are placed - you're basically forced to turtle on the first turn. In other words, putting enemies with high mov on an open field is very scary. 

However, I liked that you have to have Ren face off against the mage knight, whatever-his-name.

I know you're getting criticism regarding unit placement at choke points, but I like that. It serves as a milestone for the player to reach when replaying. 

Another criticism I have is the Anna/Jake house situation. If you want to get their hints, you have to visit houses. However, visiting houses makes it harder to get the fast clear bonus. When I went to their house in chapter 8, I had no idea what they were saying because I missed them the last time. They assume you remember the names of all the bosses in the previous chapters, which I don't. Also, I found the first hint they give you (whenever that is) to be extremely vague. I think it was "sometimes you shouldn't kill bosses". Like, what chapter is this referring to?

That brings me to by biggest criticism - the writing. It needs a lot of work, in my opinion. The story is fine, but the script does not tell it effectively. There are a lot of sentences with strange structure. Honestly, I had a hard time maintaining interest in the story because of it. While the stories of the official games are nothing special (for the most part), the dialogue is interesting enough for fans to become lorekeepers who can recant support conversations and the background of chapters with a high degree of accuracy. I don't see that happening with this game in its current state. What I recommend is to find a good writer in this community to help you with the script. 

Edit: Now having played more chapters, I noticed that the writing is much better! So, my previous comment only applies to the first eight.

Also, in the FEE3 video for this hack, the units had growth scrolls. However, in my game, the first growth scroll didn't appear until Derek had one in Chapter 7. Did I miss them, and when?

Thank you for reading!

Thank you for the feedback! Any criticism is always important, and as a general tl;dr I have received criticism like yours before and am in the process of best figuring out how to address each point. There is indeed a very large cast of characters, and I am going to do my best to try and clean that up.

To go through each point of criticism and attempt to respond:

1. There have been some issues with map changes. I am currently trying to address them.

2. I have not received this feedback before and will attempt to address it. Thank you!

3. I will try and make their hints more clear.

4. Making the script flow better is a current work in progress. I am glad you enjoyed the latter chapters more, but I am trying to improve upon everything in general for the final release.

5. Pandan and Mangs had access to special unreleased build for the demo. In the current release, the first scroll you get is the Baldo scroll Derek comes with in Chapter 7, but in the final release you will have the three that show up in both LPs at that point in the game.

Thank you very much for your feedback, it was very helpful and informative!

8 hours ago, Painguin said:

I encountered a strange bug with the dragon veins on CH7, for some reason the vein closest to spawn would freeze the emulator after I had used it once and then reset. The other dragon vein worked fine. 

Please PM me a .sav file.

I think it might be the emulator that I'm using, which is MyBoy. As of now I'm on chapter 10, and over-wrote my saves. 
edit: Happened again with the dragon vein in chapter 11, have the save if you still want it.

Edited by Painguin
new info

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got around to finishing up incorporating new updates to the skill system and reorganizing the free space in my base rom. I have less than a MB left for any additional changes I may want from what is left. The pressure in some respects is real, but with only a few chapters left and supports, I think I should be fine.

Anyway, here is a sneak peak of the updates I made and was able to incorporate:

uLdBCGi.pngIWkE2OC.pngbbHZt3t.png

reV52n2.pngf7c4Iyl.pngzKGG55X.png

r2qTqlW.pngLIEPTKh.pngeRsv5ke.png

EeG3nge.pngUCsrShY.pngI9EG8YI.png

As you can see, the str/magic split has now been applied, in addition to there now being a movement growth as well. I thought about possibly adding in movement stars as well, but I ultimately decided against that addition given that there are two dancers available in the hack.

I also added in capture. I will try my best to balance it, but my goal with adding in capture is that it's existence doesn't make people feel like they will always need to capture something.

The last changes I want to note are some slight touch ups. The larger brown boxes of text I hope speed up the flow of the introduction scenes before some of the chapters. The weapon display was reverted back to a more proper one that actually displays weapon progress. I updated the minimug screen. While I don't show it here, I did fix the odd animation issue with the flux tome. I also completely redesigned the prologue. Because of the new changes to how the hack is structured thanks to the str/magic split, people will no longer be able to use their old save files. As such, I'm trying to make some chapters play differently to make the experience more fresh for the people who have been playing the hack so many times over the years. This is the third time I've said this, but I really hope this is the last time such a change will happen, especially since the only other release I plan to do is for the final version of the hack.

The small updates to the early chapters I have planned don't make me think I will fail to reach my goal of releasing the hack in full next year, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to accomplish that goal by February anymore because of these updates. I can only say that this hack should definitely be finished next year.

Happy holidays and thanks for the continued support!

Edited by Blademaster!

• 2 weeks later...

I’m looking to recruit two playtesters on a first come first serve basis as that’s probably the most fair way to do so. The only thing I would be requesting of any applicants at this time is to play the first six chapters first in normal mode, then in hard mode, and provide feedback on what they think is either fair/too hard/too easy.

If anyone is interested, please let me know. I’d greatly appreciate the help. Anyone can apply.

Applications are closed.

Edited by Blademaster!

11 hours ago, Zephyeroth said:

Im down to playtest

I shall be sending you the patch shortly, along with some other notes.

37 minutes ago, judge09 said:

Hi, the game is finish ? 

Edit : So in februar it will be finish, how many chapters ? 

I wanted to originally finish by February, but I will not reach that goal. The only thing I can say is that it should be finished this year. There will be 27 chapters total. At this moment, 22 of them are done.