[FE8] [Complete] The Sun God's Wrath (Final release 5/22/2022 - 27 Chapters)

Blademaster!

SGW V1.4 is now out. This update came about due to feedback I got from a wide swath of people, and for that I am truly grateful to those who provided feedback. This update is largely just balance changes and some minor QOL improvements. The balance changes are primarily for some FOW chapters, among other things.

As always, the update can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck6l6c5ri3fwhon/SGW_Complete.zip?dl=0

The change log is below:

V1.4:

- Added prep screen to chapter 4 and 5
- Dialogue added to chapter three to explicitly mention what an enemy force is
- Added torch staff to chapter 15 and 17 prep menu
- Fixed issue with Odo and hezul scroll icons
- Made dragon slaying weapons more expensive (they were 500 before)
- Made the Fog gradually lessen every couple of turns in chapter 3
- Weakened certain reinforcements in chapter 3
- Janet and Nicole now automatically have their fatigue set to 0 at the start of chapter 12
- Made minor positioning adjustments in chapters 15 and 16
- Added secret shop to chapter 16
- Weakened solar shine magic users in chapter 16
- Lowered hero boss leadership by 1 in chapter 16
- Adjusted number of flying enemies in chapter 17
- Slightly buffed magic of non-magic units in chapter 19
- Enemy boss in final chapter now has 6 skills instead of 7
- Final boss had slight adjustments made to stats
- Nihil now negates double lion
- Lowered Camel mov and HP, and gave them a different skill than outdoor fighter
- Lowered enemy pirate HP and str
- Made adjustments to class movement sounds to improve on some and fix missing ones in others
- Entombed/Mummies are now Muscle type
- Fixed bug where enemy executioners and hell dragons had 5 class power
- Lowered all tier 3 player class power to 4 (this means promoting to tier 3 no longer has an exp penalty)

Unless there is a major bug, this will be the last update before lunatic mode releases. Enjoy!

Edited by Blademaster!

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

V1.42 is now up. It contains a potentially important bug fix! There was no formal announcement for V1.41 as it was made within a day of V1.40 and had very minor updates. The changelog for these two versions is as follows:

V1.42:

- Fixes some typos
- Fixed potential game breaking bug in chapter 12

V1.41:

- Updates chapter 3 to have one less archer enemy
- Fixes error with chapter 14 and 15 prep shop
- Updates tier 3 promotion text in chapter 15

As always, the update can be found here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck6l6c5ri3fwhon/SGW_Complete.zip?dl=0

Edited by Blademaster!

Busted out my old account just to post some feedback.

The hack is fun so far; though as many have mentioned the story namedrops a few too many things for the average viewer to follow and from what I've seen later, it gets a bit worse. A bit hard to fix at this point, but I do genuinely respect the effort you've put in. 

Something gameplay-wise that you could fix though; I see in this hack that weapons don't sell for much, which is fine; you can capture most of what you'd need, I imagine. I feel there's an inherent issue with that design choice, though. I've come to notice that especially early on, capturing is somewhat cumbersome due to only having 5 inventory slots compared to Thracia's 7. Maybe this was intentional, but it certainly does not feel as smooth; infinite trading is greatly appreciated as I'd go so far to say it's almost required for this hack to even be playable. I doubt it's possible to increase the inventory to 6, but this is more something I'm commenting on vs. saying "hey, fix this". It's definitely doable, but I notice in general inventory management is a lot more key in this hack due to capturing and using the Scrolls leading to a lot of swapping around.

However, back to the point about weapons selling poorly. In Chapter 3 (where I am currently), I see there was a Torch Staff in the Shop. I was aware of this, but I was not aware of its cost. The chapter prior was the first chapter the player had to buy/sell anything, which I did because the shop had many items of interest. However, this led to me having the issue of having spent too much money, leaving me unable to *buy* said Torch staff. I was not aware of just how badly items sold until I got to Chapter 3's preps. I feel that's not something the player should have had to buy, considering how easy it is to lock oneself out of buying it. I would consider having Jenna start with the Torch staff, perhaps instead of a heal staff? 

Also, looking at the readme, I'd also consider tweaking light magic's Weapon Level bonuses. I could be wrong with how the game is designed, but considering that Light is insanely accurate already, I cannot imagine it's getting much out of getting bonus hit; I'd sooner give it bonus crit, or more Mt, preferably the latter since it's so weak. Just a suggestion though, I can only make so many comments considering I haven't played too much yet.

Hey Blademaster - love the hack so far. I've encountered some kind of error on Chapter 17 - hard mode if that matters. At the end of turn 2 when the green units finish up, the game resets. I tried playing with selective animations, all animations on, and all animations off. Nothing would stop the reset.

Edit: just discovered it works fine in VBA 1.8 but not the 1.7.2 I was using. Problem solved

Edited by ccjl

4 hours ago, Diabman said:

Busted out my old account just to post some feedback.

The hack is fun so far; though as many have mentioned the story namedrops a few too many things for the average viewer to follow and from what I've seen later, it gets a bit worse. A bit hard to fix at this point, but I do genuinely respect the effort you've put in. 

Something gameplay-wise that you could fix though; I see in this hack that weapons don't sell for much, which is fine; you can capture most of what you'd need, I imagine. I feel there's an inherent issue with that design choice, though. I've come to notice that especially early on, capturing is somewhat cumbersome due to only having 5 inventory slots compared to Thracia's 7. Maybe this was intentional, but it certainly does not feel as smooth; infinite trading is greatly appreciated as I'd go so far to say it's almost required for this hack to even be playable. I doubt it's possible to increase the inventory to 6, but this is more something I'm commenting on vs. saying "hey, fix this". It's definitely doable, but I notice in general inventory management is a lot more key in this hack due to capturing and using the Scrolls leading to a lot of swapping around.

However, back to the point about weapons selling poorly. In Chapter 3 (where I am currently), I see there was a Torch Staff in the Shop. I was aware of this, but I was not aware of its cost. The chapter prior was the first chapter the player had to buy/sell anything, which I did because the shop had many items of interest. However, this led to me having the issue of having spent too much money, leaving me unable to *buy* said Torch staff. I was not aware of just how badly items sold until I got to Chapter 3's preps. I feel that's not something the player should have had to buy, considering how easy it is to lock oneself out of buying it. I would consider having Jenna start with the Torch staff, perhaps instead of a heal staff? 

Also, looking at the readme, I'd also consider tweaking light magic's Weapon Level bonuses. I could be wrong with how the game is designed, but considering that Light is insanely accurate already, I cannot imagine it's getting much out of getting bonus hit; I'd sooner give it bonus crit, or more Mt, preferably the latter since it's so weak. Just a suggestion though, I can only make so many comments considering I haven't played too much yet.

Hey, thank you for the feedback! Yeah, there's not much that can be done about the story at this point. Given that you are only at chapter 3, some feedback I've gotten before is that it gets easier to understand as the hack goes on when everything starts to come together, so perhaps that will happen as you play on.

In regards to inventory size, I can't increase it to being a size of 6 or more. I do not believe there is currently any hack that does this and it would not only be a major effort to accomplish, but one that I do not think I am able to do as there isn't enough RAM in this hacks case.

Weapons sell for very little just like they did in Thracia. This was knowledge I assumed a player might perceive based on how much this hack draws from Thracia. As the torch staff isn't required to beat the chapter, I don't want to make it be a free item, but rather one you would buy to teach the player that the prep shop can have valuable items in it that make it worth going to every map. So I don't want to change this, but I understand the situation you ran into and appreciate the feedback.

I agree that you are right about light getting hit as a bonus is a bit excessive, so I will change that.

Thank you for the suggestions and sorry I can't implement all of them!

1 hour ago, ccjl said:

Edit: just discovered it works fine in VBA 1.8 but not the 1.7.2 I was using. Problem solved

Yes, this should be mentioned in the readme. I apologize if it isn't in the version you downloaded. This is a very recently discovered issue.

SGW is now going to be available for download on the new Emblemier Patch up! browser tool. I recommend reading the thread on FEU about what it is, https://feuniverse.us/t/emblemier-patchup/9814 , but it is essentially a tool for patching your rom on your phone.

So for mobile users trying to patch their ROM, try this site! It also features many other ROM hacks as well. Enjoy!

https://patches.emblemier.com/project/sungod/overview

I'll fully admit that I used savestates to do this, but in Chapter 18...

Spoiler

I managed to kill Gill and Pyron, and I was SHOCKED when the chapter actually ended and the game pat me on the back for doing it! I just started chapter 19, did doing that change the dialogue I got? Will Pyron actually be easier to fight later? Should I give these Swiftsoles to Astrea so she has 12 move?

1 hour ago, l33tmaan said:

I'll fully admit that I used savestates to do this, but in Chapter 18...

Hide contents

I managed to kill Gill and Pyron, and I was SHOCKED when the chapter actually ended and the game pat me on the back for doing it! I just started chapter 19, did doing that change the dialogue I got? Will Pyron actually be easier to fight later? Should I give these Swiftsoles to Astrea so she has 12 move?

Yes, he's beatable because he drops the boots and you are able to get that event. Depending on other actions you may or may not have taken, he will be weaker when you fight him, among other possibilities. Astrea or your dancer are a good candidate for boots.

Congrats on doing so!

I seriously wouldn't have been able to do it without the MAGNIFICENT temp units you gave us for that chapter. Chad is, in fact... a Chad, especially with that Master Sword of his. I'm not sure why you slipped in a Jojo reference either, but I was deeply amused by how good Turtle was. 

Spoiler

Poor Eresh got nuked by Pyron, though. But she was my only casualty. I even restarted the map once I realized Hellen was recruitable.

This hack is unlike any other FE I've played. Both gameplay and story-wise, you really tossed in everything and the kitchen sink. I was very lost when I first went through the game, but I'm watching Mekkah's LP and I can appreciate the story a lot more now that I read up on CT and wasn't quite so confused. 

Spoiler

Oreades has the best support convos, fight me.

1 hour ago, l33tmaan said:

I seriously wouldn't have been able to do it without the MAGNIFICENT temp units you gave us for that chapter. Chad is, in fact... a Chad, especially with that Master Sword of his. I'm not sure why you slipped in a Jojo reference either, but I was deeply amused by how good Turtle was. 

Hide contents

Poor Eresh got nuked by Pyron, though. But she was my only casualty. I even restarted the map once I realized Hellen was recruitable.

This hack is unlike any other FE I've played. Both gameplay and story-wise, you really tossed in everything and the kitchen sink. I was very lost when I first went through the game, but I'm watching Mekkah's LP and I can appreciate the story a lot more now that I read up on CT and wasn't quite so confused. 

Hide contents

Oreades has the best support convos, fight me.

He does have some good support conversations. I wish I did more with his character.

Happy early new year! SGW V1.5 is now live at the usual link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck6l6c5ri3fwhon/SGW_Complete.zip?dl=0

V1.5 has the most changes of any release so far and is the last release I will be making this year unless a game breaking bug is reported.

As mentioned in the change log, there are minor graphical bugs with five spells after I performed a ROM rebuild to make more space be available to complete a few of the updates in this patch. As such, the next update I hope to release will fix these minor issues, but with how many other fixes this patch has (including to one game breaking bug) I didn't want to delay the release over something so small.

The biggest changes to V1.5 is that you can capture more enemies, enemy leadership has typically been lowered, and promoted units gain even more exp than before.

I also want to take this opportunity to thank everyone that has supported and played SGW. It's been around half a year since the first release, and the feedback and support I've gotten on the hack and how to improve it has been overwhelming. I can never thank you all enough for taking the time to play this hack and provide feedback! It makes all the time I spent working on it more than worth it! This has been a challenging year for everyone in some way or form, so I hope SGW was able to provide even the smallest bit of joy to you during these troubled times!

Here's to 2021!

V1.5 change log below:

V1.50:

- CHANGED EXP FORMULA FOR PROMOTED UNITS, SEE README!
- THERE ARE SOME MINOR AND RARE NEW GRAPHIC GLITCHES WITH FIVE SPELLS! SEE README!
- Weapon rank bonuses have been updated. Please SEE README for exact values!
- Updated Arcanist animation
- Fixed bug where if you killed the sub boss lance/sword cavalier in chapter 14 before a certain turn, the game would freeze
- Fixed bug with Pitfighter Bow animation
- Fixed bug where, on certain maps, if you saved in the prep screen, started the map, and recruited an old character, that character wouldn't be able to be the last one to move in the map
- Lowered the cost of Dark spikes
- Fixed various typos
- Fixed bug where wind and tornado bow weren't treated as wind magic
- Fixed bug where Moloch's weren't magic enemies
- Changed dialogue to further clairify how personal skills work
- Changed dialogue to clarify how the boon skill works
- In chapter 7, the unit that joins you on turn one now has the cursor flash over them to indicate they've joined you
- Changed FOW theme in chapters 3, 10, and 20
- Updated expertise skill text
- Updated chapter 5 dialogue to make clear that certain enemies are indeed beatable
- Updated chapter 16 dialogue to reflect that unit is meant to start with weapon they can't use
- Made adjustments to the chapter 14 and 16 maps
- Fixed some odd enemies in chapter 17
- Tried to fix double watchful enemies where possible
- Made more generic enemies capturable, including some monsters
- Monsters now captureable are: Worren, skeletons, Bigl, angels
- Prologue: Certain enemies were unintentionally uncapturable
- Lowered Chapter 3 Boss's leadership by 1
- Lowered Chapter 7 Boss's leadership by 1
- Lowered Chapter 9 Boss and sub boss's leadership by 1
- Lowered Chapter 11 Boss's leadership by 2 and sub boss's leadership by 1
- Lowered Chapter 12 Boss's and sub boss's leadership by 1
- Lowered Chapter 13 Boss's and sub boss's leadership by 1
- Lowered Chapter 14 Boss's and sub boss's leadership by 1
- Lowered Chapter 15 Boss's leadership by 2
- Lowered Chapter 18 sub boss's leadership by 2
- Raised Chapter 18 temp unit's leadership by 1
- Lowered Chapter 19 sub bosses total leadership by 3
- Lowered Chapter 21 total sub bosses total leadership by 2
- In chapter 22, the four NPCs are now temp units.
- In chapter 24, more enemies have insight.
- Raised the total Leadership of the chapter 22 enemies by 8 and gave all enemies insight to counteract the above change.
- In chapter 5, Neried now starts as an NPC and you recruit everyone on turn 1 instead of turn 2
- In chapter 6, you can now capture the hatchet axe colonel
- In chapter 7, nomad characters are now capturable
- In chapter 8, the berserker boss is now capturable and has slightly different equipment in normal and hard mode
- In chapter 9, a sub-boss had a skill switch
- Added a boss quote to chapter 12 between the berserker sub boss and mercenary girl
- In chapter 13, made some uncapturable cultists now capturable. Raised level of uncapturable cultists by 1
- In chapter 17 more enemies are now capturable. Less NPCs show up so that the total is now only 10 NPCs. Less flying enemies appear on turn 3
- In chapter 18 more enemies are now capturable, however less are available for capture in hard mode. Removed a wave of reinforcements.
- In chapter 19, adjusted some NPCs.
- In chapter 21 more enemies are now capturable
- One of the chapter 21 bosses is now magic type
- Fixed minor weapon display issue with chapter 22 boss
- In chapter 23, made more enemies capturable
- Buffed Nicole's base magic by 1
- Buffed Ricky's base magic by 2
- Condor movement growth buffed to 5%
- Clint movement growth buffed to 8%, PCC buffed to 2
- Chrysler movement growth buffed to 15%
- Buffed Kirin's light magic rank to C
- The third lord's leadership was boosted to 2
- Aofaye's base sword rank was dropped to B
- Buffed the speed cap of the armor line by 3 (NOTE: Generals and Doma Knights not affected)
- Dreadfighters/Excutioners have C rank dark magic

Edited by Blademaster!

My sincere apologies for the double post. There was a game breaking bug with V1.5 that has now been fixed. Please download V1.51 that fixes the bug at the usual link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck6l6c5ri3fwhon/SGW_Complete.zip?dl=0

V1.51:

- Fix game breaking bug with wind, blizzard, tornado, death, and jormungandr spells.

We have our first 0% LP! Tez is doing a 0% growth rate LP that can be found here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zg7R_OIjbpo&list=PLR0kOFrq7gs1rc7hgDBd6b4mHNljUgHmV&index=1

While the prologue is pretty simple in 0% growths, the later chapters will be sure to be more exciting, so I look forward to his progress!

And on that note, happy new year again everyone! I'm always happy to share LPs anyone wants to do and I look forward to any that start next year!

I recently finished my playthrough of 1.4. Didn't experience any major bugs except a unit spawning outside of the map that wasn't deployed that died on EP 1. Definitely noticed the lack of promoted unit exp and when t3 promo items become available not a single unit was lvl 20, and by the end the only unit I had hitting the Lvl cap was Astrea. Capturing units was introduced well, but I didn't make good use of it, partially due to the units having the con to capture being behind in level and typically much weaker than the units that cannot. Additionally, if you're going for the fast clear, it is sometimes awkward or difficult to capture due to the fact you need to capture, take their equipment, and then get rid of the enemy so that the unit capturing isn't bogged down for enemy phase. I also may have just missed the easy priest/bishop captures early on, but I put most of the money I did receive into buying heal staves/weapons for units when they were low. Never really had money for secret shops, as it seems that money is extremely tight.

Overall though, the challenges were interesting and fun to play through. I liked the story, and how the characters interact, although a few moments or characters could be introduced better for people that haven't played the earlier hack(s). You can definitely see that a lot of work went into this hack, and the experience was great.

Good work!

10 hours ago, Painguin said:

I recently finished my playthrough of 1.4. Didn't experience any major bugs except a unit spawning outside of the map that wasn't deployed that died on EP 1. Definitely noticed the lack of promoted unit exp and when t3 promo items become available not a single unit was lvl 20, and by the end the only unit I had hitting the Lvl cap was Astrea. Capturing units was introduced well, but I didn't make good use of it, partially due to the units having the con to capture being behind in level and typically much weaker than the units that cannot. Additionally, if you're going for the fast clear, it is sometimes awkward or difficult to capture due to the fact you need to capture, take their equipment, and then get rid of the enemy so that the unit capturing isn't bogged down for enemy phase. I also may have just missed the easy priest/bishop captures early on, but I put most of the money I did receive into buying heal staves/weapons for units when they were low. Never really had money for secret shops, as it seems that money is extremely tight.

Overall though, the challenges were interesting and fun to play through. I liked the story, and how the characters interact, although a few moments or characters could be introduced better for people that haven't played the earlier hack(s). You can definitely see that a lot of work went into this hack, and the experience was great.

Good work!

Thanks for playing! V1.51 fixed up the promoted exp formula, so it should be easier to reach level 20 without being permanently stuck in tier 1 to do so.

That bug with the unit spawning outside the map I'm assuming was Joe the lance armor? That bug has been fixed in later versions of the hack.

Spending money on staffs/healing items seems to be what most people end up using money for. This hack is pretty generous in the amount of items it gives.

Why is it that

Spoiler

Lars joins you instead of Mikey if you DON'T kill Dartanion? I went out of my way not killing Dartanion because I thought I'd recruit him later but my payoff for doing so is... Larry's kid. Instead of my boy Mikey?! He's useful enough but I don't get the thought process here. 

10 hours ago, l33tmaan said:

Why is it that

Hide contents

Lars joins you instead of Mikey if you DON'T kill Dartanion? I went out of my way not killing Dartanion because I thought I'd recruit him later but my payoff for doing so is... Larry's kid. Instead of my boy Mikey?! He's useful enough but I don't get the thought process here. 

It's explained in the in game dialogue why that is the case.

You don't have Dartanion's fragment of Mila, you can't cast the stronger revive spell to make Mikey stronger than Lars. As such, Lars is the strongest fighter you can revive.

Hope everyone had a happy new year! SGW V1.52 is now out at the usual download spot: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck6l6c5ri3fwhon/SGW_Complete.zip?dl=0

Mobile patcher link:
https://patches.emblemier.com/project/sungod/overview

The change log is below:

> V1.52:
>
> - Fixed various typos
> - Added new class cards for female fighters, female warriors, ravagers, and angels
> - Added boss conversations between the cav units and the boss of chapter 14
> - Added an extra conversation to the final map
> - Attempted to remove ballista tiles from chapter 20 map
> - Ricky can now use C rank staves and starts with a heal staff
> - Gamble was changed to only lower hit by 20 and increase crit by 20
> - Boar tactics has been buffed so that on certain maps, unit gains +20 hit/crit and +2 Attack speed
> - Chivalry now boosts atk, mag, def, and res +5 and AS +2 when foe HP is full
> - Strong riposte now gives +3 atk/mag/def/res and +10 avoid when under attack
> - Generic braves no longer have strong riposte and have pursuit instead
> - Buffed Nicole's Str and skl growthes by 5%
> - Buffed Derek's spd and def growthes by 10%, luk by 15%
> - Buffed Nereid's HP growth by 30%, base str and con by 1, base def/res by 2, base mag by 5, sword rank boosted to B
> - Buffed Oreades's base speed by 1 and base def by 2
> - Buffed Dullahan's res by 12
> - Buffed Jeff's HP by 10, speed by 4, but lowered luck by 7
> - Buffed secret character R's speed by 5 capping it (speed growth set to 0 as a result), buffed movement growth to 200%

A lot of these are changes I wanted to make for V1.5, but forgot to do so... as such, this patch was released quite quickly. I have no other balance changes in mind for the foreseeable future, so the next patch should hopefully just be for the release of lunatic mode.

Thank you all for your patience with lunatic mode and for putting up with all these updates for the past few months since the initial completed release. I hope you'll enjoy SGW in 2021 as well!

Edited by Blademaster!

Buffing my boy Derek! Maybe mine was just RNG blessed, but he actually capped defense at level 22. Giving him a 70% def growth seems... nuts?

Spoiler

Maybe I missed some dialogue, but... what happened to Ciri?

Edited by l33tmaan