[FE8] [Complete] The Sun God's Wrath (Final release 5/22/2022 - 27 Chapters)

Blademaster!

This is the final update before the complete release.

Gameplay wise, I consider all balance changes to have been complete. The only things remaining before the final release are as follows:

1. Fixing any last minute feedback from playtesters
2. Doing one last round of tests to make sure all events work
3. Some very minor cosmetic changes
4. Making a character guide.

When the final release is ready, I'll take my time to make my big "this is what the journey has been like post" to reflect on the whole thing.

In conclusion, expect the final release sometime this weekend, Friday at the earliest.

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

21 minutes ago, Blademaster! said:

Gameplay wise, I consider all balance changes to have been complete. The only things remaining before the final release are as follows:

When the final release is ready, I'll take my time to make my big "this is what the journey has been like post" to reflect on the whole thing.

In conclusion, expect the final release sometime this weekend, Friday at the earliest.

Thats great man so Should we be expecting the release in a week time oe so?and thanks for your hardwork in making such a great hack i cant wait to play it when it comes out

It's time.

The genesis of how this hack came to be is so old, I don't even remember most of it now. If you were to ask why I made a sequel to Corrupt Theocrary, my only answer at this point would be "because I said I would and it's what I wanted to do for the two people I knew that LP'd that hack." Corrupt Theocracy was a hack I made in the summer of 2010, taking a break once the school year started, only to finish the supports during winter break. It took less than three months to make, and its quality shows as a result.

Sun God's Wrath, however, took much longer. Originally starting off as Sun God's Challenge, I worked on that for about a year and a half (longer if you count the planning that took place during CT) before just giving up on the project and moving on to other things in life. After seeing Siggy LP CT and then TheMoniker, three years since giving up on SGC, in 2015 I decided to go back to work on Sun God's Challenge, but I tried to change things up from the original, put more effort into it, and make something more unique. The result is this hack, Sun God's Wrath. I worked on SGW with a pretty dedicated passion from 2015 until about late 2016, taking another break as a result of real life stuff being more fun to do. I picked up the project again in 2017, this time adding in and working with the skill system. Doing this effectively made me rebuild the entire hack, causing further delays. For the 2018 - early 2019 period, the majority of time I spent working on this project was just on revising and refining different things about the early game. When I decided to add in fatigue and capture, that only added further overhead. It wasn't until 2019 that I had finally gotten back to the point I was at in 2017 because of the revising and real world things I was balancing at the same time. From there, I would typically spend about a month at a time working on a new chapter, with the hack finally being "completed" around April 2020. From there it was just finishing the supports and game play balance, until we reached today, July 18th 2020, where the hack was finally finished. If I didn't decide to add in the skill system, fatigue, capture, and all the other features, this hack could've been finished a lot sooner, but I don't think it would have been anywhere near the same level as it is now.

Sun God's Wrath is an odd hack. It's the sequel to something with an undefendable story and poorly though out gameplay. It makes you wonder where or what can really be done in a world with such limited world building, setting, and conflict. In truth, if I were to make a new hack from the start, I would've tried to do something more like the manga "Kingdom",  but I tried to take what I could and make the best story that I thought was possible, while adding in some fun levity in between. I don't think the story of SGW is ultimately very good. I think there are parts that might be enjoyable and it isn't Fates bad or boring enough to make you not want to play, but there's better stuff out there. The one thing about the story I am proud of is the effort that my playtesters, especially Lonely Voxel, Legend Of Loog, and Ryn (not the FETuber) put into helping to make sure the dialogue was grammatically correct. Any errors you'll see in the text are because of things either they didn't find or were added in after by me. They did a great job, and I'm proud to have worked together with them.

While the story isn't anything to write home about, I think the gameplay is much better and more engaging. There are tons of new class, skills, spell animations, and features to this hack that give the player quite a bit of flexibility in how you may want to play. There are over 50 playable characters, so it is even iron man friendly. I also really like the music I selected, but I understand if others don't.

As I finish up my thoughts, a question that remains on my mind is "did I work on this hack myself or with a team"? The answer to such a question is neither. This hack came about thanks to the efforts of tons of people in the community, whether that be everyone making new battle or spell sprites, music, maps, or mugs, to all those involved in FEBuilder (7743 is a true gift to
our community) and the skill system, to the countless people on YouTube providing live Fire Emblem feedback. The credits are massive for a reason. So while I made the events, wrote the script, and created some of the mugs/maps/music/animations, myself, the overwhelming majority of things put into this hack was made by the community, and I couldn't reach this point
without everyone involved. I am truly grateful and proud to be a member of this community, and I hope that the people whose work shows up in this hack take pride in that as well. I tried my best to incorporate everything that I could.

Beyond the community, I also had a team of dedicated playtesters. Without Momo, I wouldn't have been able to set up the discord that we used for testing and will continue to use going forward. Legend Of Loog and Lonely Voxel really went the extra mile in helping to edit SGW, and I'm forever grateful to them for it. Without the feedback of Just Someone/Fantasy Violin, Zephyeroth, judge09, elec96, and Nasura, this hack would be in a much worse state than it is. In addition to all the others who helped test and play this thing, even way back in the day, it was a pleasure working with you all and I hope you're reading this knowing that we finally did it. This hack is finally done.

In closing, I want to give some special thanks to some members of the community. Mageknight404, if not for your YouTube videos way back in the day of your FE404 hack, I wouldn't have ever found this community. To Nintenlord, Hextator, and Zalhman, you paved
the way forward in helping grow the more technical parts of the hacking community, and this hack wouldn't have been possible without the work you did. To Arch, thank you for all the work you've done in growing and leading the community. I wouldn't be here without the tutorials you wrote. To Blazer, your ultimate tutorial and personal guidance on things you provided me WAY in the past also made this possible. To Siggy and TheMoniker, again, this wouldn't have reached this point without the inspiration that you gave me to continue, especially to TheMoniker who essentially created a repository of the whole script of CT. To Mekkah and Mangs, the tons of live play and feedback you created is a true treasure trove for people looking to make and understand FE games, and nothing can change that. While some of you are still active in the community, where ever all of you are, I hope you are one day able to see this hack and maybe even play it. If you have fun doing so, then that would be all I could ask for.

But enough from me. You can find the first final release here: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck6l6c5ri3fwhon/SGW_Complete.zip?dl=0

The discord, which includes various guides, can be found here: https://discord.gg/TbxxXMy

Enjoy and thank you for all your support over the years!

Edited by Blademaster!

Congratulations! I've been looking forward to this hack for a long time indeed. I can only imagine how much effort, care, and love went into this project. The gameplay of the demos improved with each iteration, and I'm excited to see what the fully-fledged version is capable of! 

Edited by Dinkiniensis Pontifex

4 hours ago, Thorgrun said:

My weekend shall be nothing but Sun God's Wrath! 😄 I will post all reviews when finished, Thank you for taking your time to make this. 

I'm looking forward too it! Thank you for your continued support throughout the project's lifetime!

17 minutes ago, Dinkiniensis Pontifex said:

Congratulations! I've been looking forward to this hack for a long time indeed. I can only imagine how much effort, care, and love went into this project. The gameplay of the demos improved with each iteration, and I'm excited to see what the fully-fledged version is capable of! 

Thank you! I hope you enjoy the final release!

Update: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck6l6c5ri3fwhon/SGW_Complete.zip?dl=0 based on some requests/bugs found:

Adds:

A 0% growth patch

Fixes:

1. Sound kill when the inferno spell misses
2. The enemy Treant class should now be weak to monster slaying weapons
3. The issue with Demon King HP should now be resolved

EDIT:

A further update to version 1.02 has been released. It fixes the following:

1. Some typos
2. A bug in chapter 8 where killing any monster enemy would cause Dartanion to leave. Only killing the Cerberus should result in this. The download link is the same as before.

Edited by Blademaster!

I can't believe this day finally came.

As someone who literally grew up with CT, watching TheMoniker's playthrough of it, then playing an early build of SGC before it was cancelled, then seeing you randomly pop up one day announcing SGW which was a remake of SGC, then even asking you if I could remake CT... man, time sure does fly (you started in 2015, holy shit that feels like last year)! But hot damn, dude, when I logged on today (I really just peruse around, don't really engage with the community anymore), my heart skipped a beat when I saw [Complete] in brackets.

I'm not really sure what to say. This has been perhaps one of my favorite ROMHacks I've ever played, and the fact it's now COMPLETE is making me so excited. I know you don't think very highly of the story, but I've been waiting to see this story conclude for the longest time. Of course, the gameplay is baller too (can't wait), but man...  I just don't know what to say right now. I've waited so freaking long, I can't describe how elated I am.

Thanks for all the memories dude. I'm gonna be playing this all night. Also fuck it I'm gonna post this on FEUniverse too.

Edited by Pixelman

Although I haven't gotten very far yet, (chapter 7 only), I gotta say, I love the FFT music choices, as an avid FFT fan, of course!

Gameplay, wise, i'm having a great time so far!

Well, all the ones you chose are among favorites of mine, so no complaints here!

One thing I have to say is that I'm glad the gameplay is designed around having fun while still being challenging. That's something that irritates me about games designed around difficulty, is they usually forget the whole "fun" part.

Incoming HUGE review...... lol 

Ok, so  i messed up my first play-through... i'm so unused to stealing for money, i mean in normal FE its once in awhile, and you get cash injections all the time, so i usually bum rush everything for the fastest clear possible. In your hack i had to slow down a bit and be more strategic, which was a nice change of pace actually. also used some heroes i wasn't happy with. I don't usually have such trouble with RNG but i got screwed hard with 0 stat levels on 3 heroes a lot. Beat the game though it was difficult, i could see how easy it would have been if i just did a few things differently. SO!!! lol noob mistakes aside, i'm doing a second play-through.. See, replay-ability is already there, nice work! 

I never really experimented with capture or mercy, but i plan to this next trial. 

The game-play was great, some new classes too which i thought looked real nice. Except Astrea's 2nd tier... the pixel art was a bit... off, and when in the prep screen her sprite is all squished lol. 

Spoiler

My Relina was maxed out, with S lances, and i was so disappointed she couldn't wield the Emblem Lance. I thought maybe if i killed the the guy who had it but gave the lance to someone better I could use it, but nobody could. I found this actually nerfed her potential, as Nereid wielding the Emblem Axe was just the edge she needed.  I tend not to use promoted units that are recruited later, they always have lower stats. So with this, my good man, you are a tease. 😛 Forcing me to either utilize him or let the awesome weapon collect dust? tough choice.

Oh, Also, i found mounted knights in your hack are quite over powered.... Ulysses could literally tank the entire end game map by himself if i let him, he was T3 but only level 25.  This made Generals pretty much outclassed and useless, weak to pretty much everything late game. 

I kept wondering what those weird healers were doing with that Demon King, i see that's been mentioned, thankfully fixed right in time for my new game+

I LOVE the story-line! 🙂 it is a bit wordy, but i'm a sucker for a good story that works, and yours works well. The characters are well developed, the supports give flavor and even answer a few questions, and some are just cute and funny  For the most part, most FE games have a rather predictable outcome, but you threw in an element of choice, i like that. This is what makes SS my fav of the FE series. Does yours really have 2 endings though?

Spoiler

I recall the first play-through i did when the hack was only half done, i saved Nia. This time around she was killed, so i was intrigued immediately. Especially with the end and that bit with Rody. I actually liked him in the end. Character building is well done! 

Seriously thank you so much for your hard work and extreme care. It shows, and it is wonderful, fun, and takes longer than a normal FE game = Win. 

9 hours ago, lightcosmo said:

Well, all the ones you chose are among favorites of mine, so no complaints here!

One thing I have to say is that I'm glad the gameplay is designed around having fun while still being challenging. That's something that irritates me about games designed around difficulty, is they usually forget the whole "fun" part.

I'm glad you're enjoying it!

5 hours ago, Alph said:

I just started a game on hard mode.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, Thorgrun said:

Incoming HUGE review...... lol 

Ok, so  i messed up my first play-through... i'm so unused to stealing for money, i mean in normal FE its once in awhile, and you get cash injections all the time, so i usually bum rush everything for the fastest clear possible. In your hack i had to slow down a bit and be more strategic, which was a nice change of pace actually. also used some heroes i wasn't happy with. I don't usually have such trouble with RNG but i got screwed hard with 0 stat levels on 3 heroes a lot. Beat the game though it was difficult, i could see how easy it would have been if i just did a few things differently. SO!!! lol noob mistakes aside, i'm doing a second play-through.. See, replay-ability is already there, nice work! 

I never really experimented with capture or mercy, but i plan to this next trial. 

The game-play was great, some new classes too which i thought looked real nice. Except Astrea's 2nd tier... the pixel art was a bit... off, and when in the prep screen her sprite is all squished lol. 

Reveal hidden contents

My Relina was maxed out, with S lances, and i was so disappointed she couldn't wield the Emblem Lance. I thought maybe if i killed the the guy who had it but gave the lance to someone better I could use it, but nobody could. I found this actually nerfed her potential, as Nereid wielding the Emblem Axe was just the edge she needed.  I tend not to use promoted units that are recruited later, they always have lower stats. So with this, my good man, you are a tease. 😛 Forcing me to either utilize him or let the awesome weapon collect dust? tough choice.

Oh, Also, i found mounted knights in your hack are quite over powered.... Ulysses could literally tank the entire end game map by himself if i let him, he was T3 but only level 25.  This made Generals pretty much outclassed and useless, weak to pretty much everything late game. 

I kept wondering what those weird healers were doing with that Demon King, i see that's been mentioned, thankfully fixed right in time for my new game+

I LOVE the story-line! 🙂 it is a bit wordy, but i'm a sucker for a good story that works, and yours works well. The characters are well developed, the supports give flavor and even answer a few questions, and some are just cute and funny  For the most part, most FE games have a rather predictable outcome, but you threw in an element of choice, i like that. This is what makes SS my fav of the FE series. Does yours really have 2 endings though?

Reveal hidden contents

I recall the first play-through i did when the hack was only half done, i saved Nia. This time around she was killed, so i was intrigued immediately. Especially with the end and that bit with Rody. I actually liked him in the end. Character building is well done! 

Seriously thank you so much for your hard work and extreme care. It shows, and it is wonderful, fun, and takes longer than a normal FE game = Win. 

I'm glad you enjoyed it! There are different endings, but they all point towards the same conclusion. I tried to not make the story be too wordy, but it seems that was ultimately unavoidable despite my best efforts. Your ideas for the weapon mentioned in your spoiler is interesting, but sadly there is no way to implement such a mechanic. If I could, I would after such a recommendation! I wish you luck on your second playthrough and I hope you find the mechanics you didn't use as much add to your enjoyment in a second run!

On 7/15/2020 at 7:34 AM, Blademaster! said:

Finally after 5 years we can see the end of this great story...Now nothing can stop us to know the final things about this damn great thing!!!!❤❤❤

Edited by Morteza

1 hour ago, Morteza said:

Finally after 5 years we can see the end of this great story...Now nothing can stop us to know the final things about this damn great thing!!!!❤❤❤

Thank you for waiting for so long for the final release! I hope you enjoy it and look forward to what your final thoughts are!

I just finished the hack on hard mode, and I can positively say that it is outstanding. Hands down, the best gameplay I've ever experienced in an FE mod. Each unit I used had such an interesting suite of skills that no two felt the same. Capturing units for weapons, minding fatigue, and paying attention to PCC/skills made planning a strategy more dynamic than is typical for FE romhacks and many FE games in general. Not to mention the class system itself, which was unbelievably comprehensive and expansive. The soundtrack was quite well done too, and a joy to hear. While it's undeniable that many components of the hack were inspired by mainline FE games, they were blended in with great original ideas as well (especially in regards to the class system. I mean, a dancing manakete healer who can pick locks? Amazing). The map design was good; there were never levels that felt like a massive slog, too hard, or too easy. Consistently challenging the whole way through. The story and supports I was less enthusiastic about, but many of my issues with them ultimately stem from the narrative problems in Corrupt Theocracy. That said, I rather enjoyed a good deal of story moments (such as Kuroth's introduction and Mikey's saga). I can't wait to give this game a second playthrough! Very well done, Blademaster! A remarkable effort!

1 hour ago, Dinkiniensis Pontifex said:

I just finished the hack on hard mode, and I can positively say that it is outstanding. Hands down, the best gameplay I've ever experienced in an FE mod. Each unit I used had such an interesting suite of skills that no two felt the same. Capturing units for weapons, minding fatigue, and paying attention to PCC/skills made planning a strategy more dynamic than is typical for FE romhacks and many FE games in general. Not to mention the class system itself, which was unbelievably comprehensive and expansive. The soundtrack was quite well done too, and a joy to hear. While it's undeniable that many components of the hack were inspired by mainline FE games, they were blended in with great original ideas as well (especially in regards to the class system. I mean, a dancing manakete healer who can pick locks? Amazing). The map design was good; there were never levels that felt like a massive slog, too hard, or too easy. Consistently challenging the whole way through. The story and supports I was less enthusiastic about, but many of my issues with them ultimately stem from the narrative problems in Corrupt Theocracy. That said, I rather enjoyed a good deal of story moments (such as Kuroth's introduction and Mikey's saga). I can't wait to give this game a second playthrough! Very well done, Blademaster! A remarkable effort!

Thank you, and I'm glad you enjoyed it! Your review is exactly the kind of takeaway I hope people have from playing this hack, enjoying the fun and flexible gameplay, finding the music to be enjoyable, and recognizing that while the story isn't the best, there are some parts to it that can be enjoyable.

Thank you for the kind remarks and if you have further suggestions please feel free to share them!

SGW has now been updated to version 1.03. The change log can be found below:

V1.03:

-Fixed bug where gameover condition doesn't activate in chapter 14.
-Fixed bug where dragonveins freeze on rare occaions
-Fixed occasional bug where game would freeze due to arcthunder missing
-Made improvements to Fire Dragon Animation
-Fixed various palettes for enemy only classes and NPCs per recomendations
-Fixed various typos
-Added in various dialogue suggestions, including how class caps work the same as in FE4
-Made some fixes to certain cutscenes based on community feedback
-Made preliminary and naive fix to issue with condition R text
-Buffed all main dark magic tome hit rates by +10
-Fixed Wyvern Rider promotion to add +2 con
-Buffed a recruitable Swordmaster's base speed by +4 (they join very late)
-Correct Cerberus name
-Fixed issues with enemy equipment in chapter 10
-Fixed magic growth rates of enemy classes
-Fixed issue with 0% growths where scrolls still boosted growth rates
-Fixed bug where vantage prevented the unit from getting a critical hit
-Fixed bug in chapter 6 where you could still get a reward if the corresponding NPC died
-Fixed bug where Stone worked on bosses
-Fixed bug where chapter 7 wall had death quote

There release is a bit premature as I wished to add in some extra balance changes, but due to the bugs I wanted to get this out ASAP. The next patch will have some balance changes for units currently considered to be too strong and some changes to help make the game mechanics more balanced. As always, any feedback on this subject is welcome and encouraged.

As always, you can find the download link at the same URL it's always at: https://www.dropbox.com/s/ck6l6c5ri3fwhon/SGW_Complete.zip?dl=0

Yea second play-through was just too easy when using capture and mercy to feed. finished the game with over 40k gold i ended up buying a crap ton of boots, and feeding my heroes movement 😄 so end game was really funny haha xD  The Gods Got Trolled.... in under 8 turns. 

Spoiler

Also, i'm not sure if it's intended, are dragon effective weapons supposed to be effective against Garrison? Because they are. Seems wrong to me.

I can't really update to 1.03 because my mBGA saves are based on 1.02.

With 1.02 when I use a class changing item, the character's level doesn't go back to 1. Also the class change items work on any level, should be level 10+

Runeswords aren't equipable, even though I have level A swords (Nereid), they are a fun weapon, was looking forward to using them.

Please allow more than 100 items in convoy for better inventory management.

The battle art for Great Knight class could do with a replacement, it doesn't look as good as others

Ballista with proper range would be nice, maybe 2-10

A Master Axe would be cool, but I know your limited to 255 items

Latona useable by any S class staff user would be nice.

The crit rate of Razor is probably a bit high, maybe make it 35

7 hours ago, Thorgrun said:

Yea second play-through was just too easy when using capture and mercy to feed. finished the game with over 40k gold i ended up buying a crap ton of boots, and feeding my heroes movement 😄 so end game was really funny haha xD  The Gods Got Trolled.... in under 8 turns. 

Hide contents

Also, i'm not sure if it's intended, are dragon effective weapons supposed to be effective against Garrison? Because they are. Seems wrong to me.

That's what they are there for! So once you made use of capture and mercy, you felt the hack became too easy overall when compared to your first play through? Or was it just easy in general now?

That is indeed a bug, thank you for informing me!

6 hours ago, Alph said:

I can't really update to 1.03 because my mBGA saves are based on 1.02.

With 1.02 when I use a class changing item, the character's level doesn't go back to 1. Also the class change items work on any level, should be level 10+

Runeswords aren't equipable, even though I have level A swords (Nereid), they are a fun weapon, was looking forward to using them.

Please allow more than 100 items in convoy for better inventory management.

The battle art for Great Knight class could do with a replacement, it doesn't look as good as others

Ballista with proper range would be nice, maybe 2-10

A Master Axe would be cool, but I know your limited to 255 items

Latona useable by any S class staff user would be nice.

The crit rate of Razor is probably a bit high, maybe make it 35

You should be able to update your saves without issue.

Levels do not reset on promotion in this hack.

That is a bug and I will look into it.

Magic swords can only be used by characters in classes with the magic trait and can use swords.

Do you mean the class card or the animation?

There will be no 2-10 range Ballistas.

The master axe is in this hack.

The latona stopped working for some reason and was removed.

I'll see if there is more feedback in regards to this.

Compared to my first play-through it was very easy, first time around i never had money, until the end when things started to drop more. Due to my lack of funds in the first play-through i missed some things and didn't get certain outcomes i had managed to get this time around, for example first play I used units i shouldn't have and promoted way later than i should have, and i didn't manage to recruit some people. Second play-through i had an idea of how to proceed. So I wouldn't call your hack overall easy, its pretty tough, especially when its your first time playing it. People are not used to the weapon triangle being so important, preventing you from literally bum rushing unless you know what your doing. Especially having to steal for gold. 

Now imma do one last run, to see if all those bugs you mentioned were fixed. I noticed every time i use a 2nd dragonvein on a map it would freeze the game, just stopped using them, forgot about them when mentioning bugs sorry lol. Also want to experiment with magic more. I keep using Evan, and late game he makes me facepalm so hard.. crit is great and all, but ive never seen a mage with over 20 magic only deal 8 damage to a generic armor knight. xD 

Anyway, thank you for continuing to update and fix up bugs. This is up among my top 5 favorite FE Hacks now. 🙂

Edited by Thorgrun

11 minutes ago, Thorgrun said:

Compared to my first play-through it was very easy, first time around i never had money, until the end when things started to drop more. Due to my lack of funds in the first play-through i missed some things and didn't get certain outcomes i had managed to get this time around, for example first play I used units i shouldn't have and promoted way later than i should have, and i didn't manage to recruit some people. Second play-through i had an idea of how to proceed. So I wouldn't call your hack overall easy, its pretty tough, especially when its your first time playing it. People are not used to the weapon triangle being so important, preventing you from literally bum rushing unless you know what your doing. Especially having to steal for gold. 

Now imma do one last run, to see if all those bugs you mentioned were fixed. I noticed every time i use a 2nd dragonvein on a map it would freeze the game, just stopped using them, forgot about them when mentioning bugs sorry lol. Also want to experiment with magic more. I keep using Evan, and late game he makes me facepalm so hard.. crit is great and all, but ive never seen a mage with over 20 magic only deal 8 damage to a generic armor knight. xD 

Anyway, thank you for continuing to update and fix up bugs. This is up among my top 5 favorite FE Hacks now. 🙂

Gotcha. The next patch tries to address some of the potential difficulty issues by nerfing some overpowered units. There being too much money isn't one that I've fully explored, but I'll keep an eye out on feedback on this issue.

The dragonvein bug is hopefully fixed. If you run into it, please let me know. I'm glad you've enjoyed this hack. It means a lot to me to see the people who have been following it for so long to be enjoying it now that it is released!