[FE8] [Complete] The Sun God's Wrath (Final release 5/22/2022 - 27 Chapters)

Blademaster!

• Replies 813
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Definitely looks interesting. And I see you used the Cloud animation, lol. Definitely looking forward to this hack!

Yeah, this hack is full of animations. There are, including unique(Dancer/Lord/etc.) unpromoted, and promoted, a little over 60 playable classes. Though some are really similar to each other like the Berserker, Chief, and Viking classes. Then there are also the enemy only classes like the monsters and some bosses.

The cloud animation is used for the sword fighter class. They're like myrmidons, but a bit better making them slightly more dangerous as enemies.

The green hair on the berserker sprite is a pretty clever bandana, hehe.

It's more of a happy accident since it was just something I noticed worked when I decided to have Yang's class be Chief(Hawkeye) instead of Gladiator(Hector Great Lord). I'm glad that it worked out the way it did in the end.

In Soviet Merv, village raid YOU.

[shot]

Seriously, though, you may want to change the Red Army to something less USSR-implying, like Red Legion or Scarlet Army or something. Also, you may want to use a different palette if you're using the Lilina Mage as a generic enemy, because it just looks like Lilina is lurking within the enemy ranks as it is now... :P

@"Merv 5": Usually in dialogue all numbers under 10 are always written out ("Five" instead of "5"). Put a few of the words in NotMurray's textbox on the next line so it doesn't look so strange with just "5?!" on the bottom.

Yang's portrait has a strange horizontal line in the shading on the side of his face and his nose looks really scrunched in— are the eye frames placed correctly? You might wanna double-check that.

Anyway, looking good! Seems like it's going to be a pretty action-packed defense chapter for just being five turns~

Seriously, though, you may want to change the Red Army to something less USSR-implying, like Red Legion or Scarlet Army or something.

There are two armies in this hack called the Red Army and the Green Army that are kinda meant to be a play on the red and green cavalier tradition, so that's the origin behind that. Wasn't really thinking of the USSR, but this isn't something I'm probably going to change.

Also, you may want to use a different palette if you're using the Lilina Mage as a generic enemy, because it just looks like Lilina is lurking within the enemy ranks as it is now... :P

I'd probably just change her hair color then? Right now I'm worried I could run out of ROM space(there are a lot of new spells, animations and music so this could happen) so generic enemy palattes will come last and any demo's won't have this changed for the time being. I'd like for the green army to actually be green.

@"Merv 5": Usually in dialogue all numbers under 10 are always written out ("Five" instead of "5"). Put a few of the words in NotMurray's textbox on the next line so it doesn't look so strange with just "5?!" on the bottom.

I'm aware of this; the Merv 5 is just called the Merv 5. Filling the second line isn't a problem.

Yang's portrait has a strange horizontal line in the shading on the side of his face and his nose looks really scrunched in— are the eye frames placed correctly? You might wanna double-check that.

The one on his cheek? Maybe it's hard to tell in the screen shot but it's supposed to be an age line since he's in his 50's. I'll see how his face looks if I move the nose a bit, but I haven't noticed any problems with his eyes. He uses Douglas's eyes and he isn't blinking in either of those frames. If the eyes are off it'd be by a pixel.

Anyway, looking good! Seems like it's going to be a pretty action-packed defense chapter for just being five turns~

I think I did a good job with the first two turns, but Yang can really break the chapter in half after that, which is to be expected. It's something I can't fully balance yet since the hack hasn't progressed far enough, but the first three chapters aren't designed to be hard and more meant to show the new weapon triangles so that the player can realize the boosts are changed.

Responses in bold. Thank you for the criticism, sorry if I can't incoorporate all of it.

hey its mr cannon fodder warrior, i remember him!

also i'm more surprised at the increase in playables, i remember that alot of the older guys were just NPC's for a long time, or just NPC's period

Yeah I just decided to have those characters be playable this time around, and due to changes in the story structure and removal of old chapters some planned characters now join you much earlier. One of the bosses in chapter 1 used to be playable but got removed and turned into a boss instead as well for example.

i think i remember the boss you were talking about too, with that said i approve of these changes, as your original early party didn't have too much varity and the game kept teasing you with these NPC's that would either join far later then you'd think or just die.

mr cannon fodder warrior being the prime example, only showing up in the prologe to job to your team, and then to job to his death in chapter 4 or 5.

Chapter 2 was pretty easy to do since I had the events mostly done already. The next chapter needs to have all the events made from scratch again so it may take awhile, or it could be done at the end of the week, idk.

Chapter 2 is the obligatory bandit chapter. It's the last kinda easy chapter I plan on making, so hopefully things get harder here on out.

eVzJY1M.pngY9hBQ20.pngtl40qga.png

EZl94Xt.png5f1jdKP.png3Ail2tg.png

cw4hrHG.pngy1FbOMo.png3A3pb5r.png

Good point about the weapon triangle. That's gonna take a while to get used to. I'm probably going to blame most of my deaths on it, in fact...

Also, you don't have to use another palette slot to change the generic palette for an animation. Refer to this.

As for what I was talking about with Yang, it's probably easier just to put it in a picture:

yMHoR5n.png

Ch2 map looks cool~

Edit: oh yeah; regarding you being wary of how much space in the rom you're using— is this being built on that FE8 full class package that you were working on but then canceled?

Edited by Alusq

Gryozni? Also.. what the hell is THAT in the bottom middle screenie?

I'm not sure what you're refering too exactly, but what's funny is that the game bugged out after I took that screen shot since the armor brigand animation I'm using apparently has a glitch with the throwing sprite.

Good point about the weapon triangle. That's gonna take a while to get used to. I'm probably going to blame most of my deaths on it, in fact...

Also, you don't have to use another palette slot to change the generic palette for an animation. Refer to this.

As for what I was talking about with Yang, it's probably easier just to put it in a picture:

yMHoR5n.png

Ch2 map looks cool~

Edit: oh yeah; regarding you being wary of how much space in the rom you're using— is this being built on that FE8 full class package that you were working on but then canceled?

I'll take a look at that palette tutorial when I can then. It's not so much worrying about a character slot, but actual space the palette would take up in a ROM. I'm just being overly cautious for now and could probably fit it in somewhere easily.

The nose I already looked at and it does look much better now. The line I'll see what I can do.

This is being built on the class package thing I tried to make(hence the chapter 1 map using an FE6 tileset), but the release for that stopped before I did any of the things that really took up a lot of space such as spells, music, and animations. I could probably fit the palette in one of the map sprites I'm not using however. The spells and music probably took up the most.

For reference there are:

124 new animations(this includes unarmed ones)

59 new songs

23 new spells

And I make use of 241 mugs/class cards

I wanted to try going over the new limit for mugs but any other mugs I'd add now would end up just being filler characters or more generics.

I want to say I may have 5mb of free space left at most out of the 32 max? With 25 chapters of dialogue/events and loads of supports left plus the last animation I need I'm just being cautious. And if any new hacks I can add in need space I want to be cautious of that as well.

Also, it looks like I miss recalled that I was having the Merv 5 be the Merv 5, so I switched it to being Merv Five.

I'm not sure what you're refering too exactly, but what's funny is that the game bugged out after I took that screen shot since the armor brigand animation I'm using apparently has a glitch with the throwing sprite.

I was referring to the portrait. It just looks so... odd. Also, wow seriously? What happened with the glitch?

Excluding the small text fixes and the like I need to make, the prologue is now done. I'm going to do all the supports for the prologue characters before moving on to chapter 1.

0SaYxKT.pngEdLZuBA.pngjIcBLEt.png

NlbmS8W.pngAwo2SEP.pngNKUgkgb.png

zfwslCX.pngb01Ervs.pngwyLqRnD.png

All four of the legendary heroes that took part in the battle against Pyron use past FE character mugs to keep in line with that thing. So Jedah uses Morva, Alester Roland, Hiro Durban, and Brammimond Brammimond. Other than a few other characters from corrupt theocracy and NPC's, that's where the use of reused mugs ends. Pyron is Pyron just because just like in Sun God's Challenge.

Oh hey, so this is what you're using that splice comp mug for... Cool seeing it in use. Will be checking this out to see it in action. :)

ugh you're teasing us so hard. i really dont care for hacks but this seems interesting.

If it makes you feel better, other than some spells and the music, all the animations are pretty much all public stuff. I'm just trying to be open in case people see something and want to know how to do it as well(which is why I'm trying to make the credits so comprehensive)

I was referring to the portrait. It just looks so... odd. Also, wow seriously? What happened with the glitch?

I think there are much odder portraits if you ask me haha. I like his since it reminds me of Arizona Iced tea due to the color scheme.

The glitch is something that Chocolate Kitty fixed already but it causes the armor bandit animation to hang when attacking with the hand axe and the game freezes. So it's nothing to worry about anymore.

Oh hey, so this is what you're using that splice comp mug for... Cool seeing it in use. Will be checking this out to see it in action. :)

Yeah that mug is pretty badass, thanks for letting me use it. The other one you let me use won't show up for a long time though.

Dang, this is looking pretty nice! I'm available for beta testing if you need another guy on the job. Keep up the good work! :):

See below comment

I can beta test as well, if you need.

Thank you for offering to help. You can both be beta testers. Beta testing is mostly just going to be balancing though. Testing won't begin until chapter 5 is done.

Also, don't expect a patch for this anytime soon. I don't want to release one until I finish chapter 17(plus there are still bigger bugs and an asm hack that needs to be made for this). Releasing a patch of the first 5(6 including prologue) chapters will not have progressed far enough in the hack to really see all the new features (other than the triangle) IMO anyway. I'll see what the betatesters say when that's done if I want to push for an earlier release.

Edited by Blademaster!

Thank you for offering to help. You can both be beta testers. Beta testing is mostly just going to be balancing though. Testing won't begin until chapter 5 is done.

Alright, thank you! Please take your time in making this, though I am very surprised at how fast it seems you've been getting through this.

sounds good to me

Great!

I can beta test too

Sure, but no more beta testers after you. Five plus me is enough.

Alright, thank you! Please take your time in making this, though I am very surprised at how fast it seems you've been getting through this.

It's mostly been going so fast since everything is done and planned out story wise, the base rom is pretty much complete, and the chapters done so far aren't meant to take longer than 10 turns. Most chapters in this hack will be designed to be able to be completed pretty quickly.