Most Important FE Characters Besides Marth and Ike

Randoman

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fin is the true hero of the Jugdral series. I think he's pretty important, moreso than Leaf [who has been suggested] and a lot of Lords. As far as the whole FE universe is concerned Narga is probably the single most decisive character.

Fin is the true hero of the Jugdral series. I think he's pretty important, moreso than Leaf [who has been suggested] and a lot of Lords. As far as the whole FE universe is concerned Narga is probably the single most decisive character.

As non-Lord characters overall go, I think Palla/Catria/Est, Tiki, and Anna curb-stomp everyone but I do want to chime in some support for Finn as Jugdral goes:

1) Leif is playable in both games but Finn's the only one playable in all three campaigns for all three Lords. Aside from Lords and their tacticians he probably gets more screen time than anyone else plus multiple scenes in FE4 where other characters remind us what he's doing off-screen. That's not insignificant.

2) He basically got his own spin-off game? Yeah, Leif's the Lord but right from the opening credits you get a sense of Finn's investment in the fight over Thracia and many moments in the game, including the climax where Leif re-takes Leonster, reinforces that. Hell, even as recently as Akaneia Chronicle they used art of Leif and Finn to represent FE5 instead of Leif by himself or Leif with Nanna. And it was deliberately assembled art, not a clip from the game box.

Also Lewyn's critical to the Jugdral saga even if he is offscreen for most of FE5. I liked how Lewyn's Einherjar in FE13 was one of the self-aware ones; it seemed like an appropriate nod to his specialness.

Where did you find this out? Most people consider Anna the mascot due to her frequent appearances throughout the FE games.

Marth is the only consistent FE rep in Smash, he's gotten the most games, and he's the most well-known and likely most popular character in the series. He's even gotten an anime, although it was extremely short. He's basically FE's Pikachu. And Pikachu is the Pokemon mascot.

Anna is hardly the mascot of anything except for her shop. She appears in a lot of games, but usually with a very minor role. I doubt anyone outside of the FE fandom would recognize her if you showed her picture to them.

Edited by Anacybele

Anna is hardly the mascot of anything except for her shop. She appears in a lot of games, but usually with a very minor role. I doubt anyone outside of the FE fandom would recognize her if you showed her picture to them.

Anna/Jake have appeared across universes (Jake is in Archanea/Elibe; pretty sure Anna's in every universe, though I'm not certain 'bout Jugdral). Yes, Marth has a lot, but outside of Smash, he's in Archanea.

Well, based on what I've seen and heard, more people seem to agree that Marth is the series mascot. I agree with those people, personally. In fact, they're the reason I think so. I found their arguments convincing.

REally FE's "mascot depends on the game in question. So Eliwood is the mascot of FE7, Ike of FE9, Micaiah of FE10. AS far as the whole series goes, Anna's probably the closest since she's appeared in all games but FE2. Marth can't be really be used as a mascot for FE6 and 8, for example, but Anna can be since she's in both.

Uh, Ike is clearly the mascot of both Tellius games...

Anna never has any sort of significant role in the games, even in Awakening. She's recruitable, but through a paralogue, not an actual story chapter. She is not a mascot at all. Saying she is would be like saying Nurse Joy is the Pokemon mascot when everybody knows that's Pikachu.

Edited by Anacybele

Uh, Ike is clearly the mascot of both Tellius games...

Anna never has any sort of significant role in the games, even in Awakening. She's recruitable, but through a paralogue, not an actual story chapter. She is not a mascot at all. Saying she is would be like saying Nurse Joy is the Pokemon mascot when everybody knows that's Pikachu.

Ike is not on FE10's boxart. Micaiah is. FE13 Spotpass included only Micaiah for FE10, Ike was FE9 set only. Speaking regarding FE10 exclusively, Micaiah is more of a mascot. Speaking for Tellius collectively, Ike is.

However, Anna might never be significant to the games individually, but viewing the series as a whole, she's pretty important, being a character who's literally everywhere. Marth can only represent Akaneia, he can't represent Elibe or Magvel. Anna can be used to represent all three at once by virtue of appearing in all three of these universes.

Doesn't matter who's on the boxart. RD, in the end, ultimately has Ike being the star of the show. And Awakening DLC had RD's set as being characters who only appeared or were only playable in RD. No characters who were playable in both Tellius games are in that set.

Marth set the precedent for what most of the FE lords follow though. A royal or leader who has blue hair and wields a sword. There have been a few exceptions, but Marth is still the basis and beginning of all of that because he was the first. Just like Pikachu is the first of many electric rodents in the Pokemon series. Marth also has the most games, the most popularity, and the most Smash appearances, like I said. He is the series mascot. I'm not changing my belief of that, okay?

I think suspending my game is a significant role. What if I need to go somewhere and Anna's not there to suspend my game? I'm screwed.

(Bringing in Pokemon is not a good idea: Pikachu, AT BEST, is a poster child for Pokemon. Outside of Yellow, which was including the anime elements, where was Pikachu relevant to a game/story? Here I'm talking the main series because I'm most familiar with them--but heck, Pokemon Conquest doesn't have Pikachu for the main character's initial Pokemon; that goes to Eevee)

Joking aside, I'd say Narga/Naga. For me, it's not a matter of "who appears in the most" but rather "who has presence and gives a lot of background structure in the games they appear in," and that would be Narga/Naga in my book. Narga/Naga is like top dragon and tells Medeus, Grima, and Loptu to go away and provides weapons to defeat those dragons. Narga/Naga doesn't even need to appear in the game; just the fact that someone says, "Narga/Naga is still around" and we see the artifacts of Narga/Naga's work (the weapons) and how important they are to the plot still shows Narga/Naga's power and importance to the plot.

That's how I feel anyways.

Anna doesn't do that in every game though. Only the GBA ones, if memory serves. She's just the tutorial girl in Tellius. She's an optional recruitable character in Awakening.

Doesn't matter who's on the boxart. RD, in the end, ultimately has Ike being the star of the show. And Awakening DLC had RD's set as being characters who only appeared or were only playable in RD. No characters who were playable in both Tellius games are in that set.

Marth set the precedent for what most of the FE lords follow though. A royal or leader who has blue hair and wields a sword. There have been a few exceptions, but Marth is still the basis and beginning of all of that because he was the first. Just like Pikachu is the first of many electric rodents in the Pokemon series. Marth also has the most games, the most popularity, and the most Smash appearances, like I said. He is the series mascot. I'm not changing my belief of that, okay?

Both Neph and Brom were in the FE10 set, despite being playable in 9.

Anna doesn't do that in every game though. Only the GBA ones, if memory serves. She's just the tutorial girl in Tellius. She's an optional recruitable character in Awakening.

Telling you how to play the game is pretty notable, more notable than suspending a game that autosaves anyway. And being recruitable at all is even more notable still.

Both Neph and Brom were in the FE10 set, despite being playable in 9.

Telling you how to play the game is pretty notable, more notable than suspending a game that autosaves anyway. And being recruitable at all is even more notable still.

They were? I don't remember seeing them in it. But if they were, then I guess I'm incorrect there. But at the same time, they were a bit more significant in RD than in PoR since they had a chapter to themselves.

None of these things are really notable at all though. A little, sure, but not as notable as what Marth has done for the series.

Anna asks to save the game in FE1. If Jake's recruitment is the same in FE1 as it is in Shadow Dragon, she serves as a way to recruit Jake.

Hey, hey, tutorials were my jam when I started FE--which was on Path of Radiance. I went through all those tutorials!

Optional recruit is better than nothing in terms of relevance.

I'm more or less saying that I think she is the closest to being considered a mascot within games. Outside of games, when it comes to promotional events, that goes to Marth/Eliwood/Lyn/Roy/Ike. But why else would Anna be across multiple games and finally become a recruitable (though optional) character in Awakening? I consider her even less optional than Marth; she gets a Paralogue whereas he needs to be beaten in a SpotPass team or DLC.

Wait, so Marth isn't confirmed to be a mascot; you just think so? o.o; In my eyes, I don't see Marth as a mascot. He is the first and most notable FE character, but he isn't even acknowledged or hinted at in a good majority of the series, which is a good point impacting my opinion.

At the same time, though, I'm not so sure Anna could be considered a mascot myself... Ana (no pun intended) makes some good points: She doesn't really fight much in the games, and her other roles include selling, saving, and teaching. The mascot of Fire Emblem should represent what the series is mainly about; I'm not sure a merchant who breaks the fourth wall plenty of times to save games or explain functions qualifies to me. I consider her a notable recurring character.

I think FE doesn't really have a mascot; the best representatives only appear in less than half of the games, and FE has plenty of different stories with all different characters each time, barring sequels/prequels/midquels(?). I might be missing something, but that's what I believe at the moment.

Funny, I thought the name of this topic was most notable characters *BESIDES* Marth and Ike

We weren't talking about Ike though, it's a debate on whether Marth or Anna is the series mascot. :P

I have a hard time viewing Anna as anything more than an easter egg/inside joke.

That's kinda how I define a mascot (maybe I'm wrong)

Even Pikachu, he isn't really like Marth because before the anime he was just a random (and rare) monster in like one area. In later games he still doesn't show up very often. Just like Anna is just a random girl that shows up in menus, until Awakening.

Well the DQ mascot is Slime, which is just an enemy that appears in all the games.

Jack frost is similar for SMT. Just a popular go lucky Demon who shows up in all SMT games.

Moggles in FF, yeah I'd for sure say Anna is FE's Mascot.