Gamestop to Offer Classic Consoles and Games

Sentacotus

I don't normally like to just repost articles but this struck my eye as I have a fancy and hobby for collecting now. Gamestop is launching a pilot to buy and sell classic games, systems, and controllers dating back to the NES. The pilot will start on April 25th at which time they will accept trade ins for about 2 months to build up an inventory. Currently it is slated to launch in 250 store locations in the NYC and Birmingham markets.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2015/04/15/gamestop-to-offer-classic-consoles-and-games

I fell pretty conflicted about this. On one hand if this becomes a hit and they do this across all their locations then it can make finding older games like Path of Radiance easier to find and not to mention cheaper than they go for on ebay sure they'd sell it to you for like $50 used but compare that to paying over $100 for a complete set. On the other hand if this does become big it'll be a major blow if not fatality to small mom and pop shops who deal in this kind of thing which kinda sucks. I didn't really see them coming out to do this as I always kinda thought of gamestop as keeping with the times and at most selling stuff a generation behind. However, the more I think about it with things like digital downloads, license keys, and the ebbing away of physical copies in new games I could see how this makes sense and is another avenue that they are trying to make money.

This is the GREATEST thing I've heard all day.

Out in the sticks where I live, Gamestop is the closest thing to a mom and pop retro game store I have, and after spending well over 200 dollars on Ebay to get cartrige variants of FE7, SD, and SS as well as POR on GC, only spending 50 for RD and getting it the same day was awesome.

I approve of this big time, if only so I won't have to take a 2 hour drive to Birmingham after this takes off.

I have my doubts on this working... would anything before the GameCube work on high-def TVs?

I believe the N64, SNES, and NES all have AV ports and I know that the N64 has a licensed S-video output cable to connect to HDTV's so I don't think that would be an issue sides theres a variety of cheap VGA, and HDMI converters out there. The bigger issue would be the framerate to upscale games to higher definitions and the quality of the image could get blurred due to it being on a bigger flatscreen tv.

Mike Mattei's setup is pretty complicated as far as switchers go but he's got everything to a NES hooked up to 4K tv.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHh5RsoHtrc&spfreload=10

I have my doubts on this working... would anything before the GameCube work on high-def TVs?

I use an N64 and older with a flat screen, so no.

They have ports besides HDMI, you know.

That said, I have a classic game store near me so this doesn't affect me a whole lot, I already have my hunting locations. On the other hand, it allows more locations to be searched for [insert old game here]. Except I don't have many more older games I need to find what with VC and all...

I use an N64 and older with a flat screen, so no.They have ports besides HDMI, you know.That said, I have a classic game store near me so this doesn't affect me a whole lot, I already have my hunting locations. On the other hand, it allows more locations to be searched for [insert old game here]. Except I don't have many more older games I need to find what with VC and all...

Yeah, due to VC, I would probaly be among the minority positively effected by this for something other than a collection standpoint. That said, I am glad to hear about this information.

The SNES and N64 can definitely connect to an HD TV. I should know, I was using them with one before the VC became a big thing for me (some of the games I liked weren't available on the VC at the time and a few still aren't, actually). You just have to get a certain cable for them.

I might get in on this classic game/console sale though, because I'd like to get my hands on a PS1 (yes, I seriously said a non-Nintendo console!) so I can finally replay the one game I ever touched for it. I loved that game so much, but was unable to save because we only had a PS2 and no compatible memory card to save PS1 games. My brothers got me the Stuart Little 2 game (why is it only for PS1 though, that's BS...) and I couldn't stop playing it. I loved the movie, but I loved the game even more.

The SNES and N64 can definitely connect to an HD TV. I should know, I was using them with one before the VC became a big thing for me (some of the games I liked weren't available on the VC at the time and a few still aren't, actually). You just have to get a certain cable for them.

I might get in on this classic game/console sale though, because I'd like to get my hands on a PS1 (yes, I seriously said a non-Nintendo console!) so I can finally replay the one game I ever touched for it. I loved that game so much, but was unable to save because we only had a PS2 and no compatible memory card to save PS1 games. My brothers got me the Stuart Little 2 game (why is it only for PS1 though, that's BS...) and I couldn't stop playing it. I loved the movie, but I loved the game even more.

Yeah, I need a PS1 or two again, my favorite game of all time ,Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped, is PS1 exclusive, and the console we have that can play it, a PS3, is in my brother's room, which ligitimately scares me, so getting a PS1 or 2 for cheap would be very helpful

I like this because there are no retro video game stores where I live, which is actually rather weird considering, but being able to get older consoles and games without paying an arm and a leg for them would be great. I like having physical copies of the games I like and while I have bought a few VC games I still have all the older games I like and there are some that I am interested in that I want a physical copy of that I can't find of I am not going to spend a lot of money for.

You should try tracking down the PS1 version of DQVII then, it's a really good game. Also, you can still find older system memory cards at retro gaming stores, you don't need the system so much as the memory card if your PS2 can run PS1 titles.

(I know this because my GCN memory card corrupted a while back so I had to get a new one. FE9 was the most severely affected, but hey, Fire Emblem is Mario Golf is stuck in my head now).

For the PS1, I seriously recommend Crash Bandicoot 3 Warped if you enjoy platformers.

Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage is also very enjoyable as a platformer.

Syphon Filter 2 is my second favorite game on the platform, but if you don't enjoy shooters stay away.

Finally, Final Fantasy 7 is, in my opinion, the best RPG on the console.

Dragon Quest 7.

Oh. I've actually heard of that series, but have never looked into it at all. So I dunno.

I've seen Crash Bandicoot gameplay, not interested.

Oh. I've actually heard of that series, but have never looked into it at all. So I dunno.

I've seen Crash Bandicoot gameplay, not interested.

Eh, I was just making suggestions based on my experiences.

I do admit, with the exception of FF7, nostalgia goggles play a big role in my PS1 preferences, it WAS my childhood afterall.

I've always had the urge to have the original NES something about the VCR loader thing. I always just thought it was kinda cool sure it messed up cartridges over time but damn did it look cool while doing it.