Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

I suppose I'll wait a couple more days to see what the general consensus is regarding the wiki that I made before I take any further action with it. A friend and I were working on an actual table, though. (One that isn't full of placeholder text.) Here's a mock-up we did with the translation for Paola provided in this thread. http://i.imgur.com/baJwugD.jpg I don't expect anything to be done with it here, I simply wanted to share.

I wanted to mention, since my friend and I have been pretty obsessively paying attention to the card numbers. We only ever saw the HN suffix on promotional images of cards that were also shown on the official website. In videos and images where people are playing with the actual cards, the Chrom card (B01-053HN) has a suffix of ST instead. I'm not sure what that means, but we also noticed that there was more text than on the promotional image. http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/038/1038419/

Edited by MaerynSen

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I suppose I'll wait a couple more days to see what the general consensus is regarding the wiki that I made before I take any further action with it. A friend and I were working on an actual table, though. (One that isn't full of placeholder text.) Here's a mock-up we did with the translation for Paola provided in this thread. http://i.imgur.com/baJwugD.jpg I don't expect anything to be done with it here, I simply wanted to share.

I wanted to mention, since my friend and I have been pretty obsessively paying attention to the card numbers. We only ever saw the HN suffix on promotional images of cards that were also shown on the official website. In videos and images where people are playing with the actual cards, the Chrom card (B01-053HN) has a suffix of ST instead. I'm not sure what that means, but we also noticed that there was more text than on the promotional image. http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/038/1038419/

Oh wow, that layout looks really neat!

But yeah, the rarities are still a mystery... I guess we'll see when the cards release properly, can't really judge until then.

Edited by DifferentFight

I got to say that this is one great layout!

The only thing I could see that might be helpful to add would maybe be a Comments field (For rule clarifications, ect).

I really don't mind which Wiki we use, but I'm a bit too lazy to go update both personally...

Regarding rarity, maybe the S designate that it's from a starter deck..? Either way, I'm hoping that you can make decent decks without needing to have a ton of rare cards. I'm hopeful based on what we've seen so far: We haven't translated any gamebreaking or unusable cards so far (well, as far as I can see at least).

The name I registered on the wiki is the same as here as well: aubergine

That layout is nice and quite readable. I'm also in the camp that doesn't mind which wiki ends up getting used, but it definitely would make more sense to dedicate all work to just one instead of having two both having to be updated. So, if either wiki's usage ends up leaving people out, we should stick with the wiki that allows the most people to work in unison with one another I feel.

Anyway, I did end up finishing full translations of the 9 high quality pics from the gallery. Since there are four of them, I'm just going to put them in spoiler tags so that this post doesn't end up being a book.

Maribelle

Quote: "Oh hey yourself, Lissa! I've sprouted about 14 gray hairs fretting over you!"
Skill 1: "Heal" / Beginning Phase / [Tap this unit, Flip 2 Bonds] Choose a card from your discard pile except "Maribelle" and add it to your hand.
Skill 2: "Women of Nobility" / Always Active / During your turn if you have the unit "Lissa" active then that unit's attack is increased by 20.

Support Skill: "Cleric's Emblem" / Defense Support / Until the end of the attack phase the attacking unit can't perform Critical Hits.

Range: --
Unpromoted
Troubadour

Title: Sharp-Tongued Noblewoman
Name: Maribelle

Marth

Quote: "This is my fate...to prove my worth as Prince of Altea I must reclaim the Exalted Falchion and defeat Doluna."
Skill 1: "Young Hero" / Beginning Phase / [Tap this unit, Only usable before any other ally has taken an action] Choose one enemy unit and move it. This skill can't be used if Marth isn't on the Front Line.
Skill 2: N/A

Support Skill: "Hero's Emblem" / Attack Support / If the attacking unit has the Falchion affinity then until the end of your attack phase the amount of orbs it destroys is now 2.

Range: 1
Unpromoted
Lord

Title: Crown Prince of Altea
Name: Marth

Tiki

Quote: "You don't mind if I call you Mar-mar, do you?"
Skill 1: "Ancient Dragon Tribe" / Always Active / If there are 4 or more cards in your Bond Area, then this unit's attack increases by 30.
Skill 2: N/A

Support Skill: "Manakete's Emblem" / Attack Support / If the attacking unit has the Falchion affinity, then you may choose one card from your hand and put it in your Bond Area.

Non-promotable
Manakete

Title: Princess of the Divine Dragon Tribe
Name: Tiki

Nabarl

Quote: "...enough talk. Draw."
Skill 1: "Quick Draw" / Beginning Phase / [Discard one "Nabarl" card from your hand] Until the end of this turn, this unit's attacks cannot be avoided.
Skill 2: "Dual-Sword Technique" / Supplementary / [Flip one Bond] If you pay the cost when an enemy unit is destroyed by this unit's attack, choose an enemy unit with a cost of 2 or less that is not their Main Character and destroy it.

Support Skill: N/A

Promoted
Swordmaster

Title: Crimson God of Death
Name: Nabarl

Edited by aubergine

Oh WOW, Marth looks really good! I'm really tempted to go Archanea, with random Lucinas in for Marth. Tiki's ability looks good, as well - since bonds are for costs, ramping them like crazy early-on is probably a good thing!

Thanks for the translations~!

Edited by eclipse

That Paola layout is awesome! Also, I did a check on what comes up when people search for 'fire emblem cipher', 'fire emblem tcg' and 'fire emblem card game'. Most searches came up with the old tcg, and the only one where a wiki showed up is 'fire emblem cipher' And the wiki that showed up is the one that MaerynSen made. The FE wikia and wiki showed up as well, but I doubt that they'll be making any specific pages for each card.

Thank you again for the translations!

Navarre in particular: This was one of the cards where I had basically no idea what I was reading. That's pretty potent especially with the 70 attack (highest we've seen so far).

It's interesting how Chrom's ability is more brute strength and Marth is more "let his allies do the work"; that's pretty fitting!

And yeah, for wikis it always seems to be either official wikis or wikia wikis that come out on top, no matter for what gaming subject it is...

Nabarl

Quote: "...enough talk. Draw."

Skill 1: "Quick Draw" / Beginning Phase / [Discard one "Nabarl" card from your hand] Until the end of this turn, this unit's attacks cannot be avoided.

Skill 2: "Dual-Sword Technique" / Supplementary / [Flip one Bond] If you pay the cost when an enemy unit is destroyed by this unit's attack, choose an enemy unit with a cost of 2 or less that is not their Main Character and destroy it.

Support Skill: N/A

Promoted

Swordmaster

Title: Crimson God of Death

Name: Nabarl

Loving the translations, but may I suggest a rewording for skill 2? (very minor thing)

"When an enemy's unit is destroyed by this attack, you may pay the cost. If you do, choose an enemy unit with a cost of 2 or less that is not their Main Character and destroy it."

Tell me if you think this is clearer or not!

That Paola layout is awesome! Also, I did a check on what comes up when people search for 'fire emblem cipher', 'fire emblem tcg' and 'fire emblem card game'. Most searches came up with the old tcg, and the only one where a wiki showed up is 'fire emblem cipher' And the wiki that showed up is the one that MaerynSen made. The FE wikia and wiki showed up as well, but I doubt that they'll be making any specific pages for each card.

So it doesn't look like ours pops up at all at this moment... Does this thread at least come up?

It doesn't. The thing is, the thread is not named Fire Emblem Cipher, so it's not surprising it doesn't pop up.

This front page article does pop up pretty much at the top of the Google listing though for a search for Fire Emblem Cipher.

http://serenesforest.net/2015/04/14/fire-emblem-cipher-livestream/

Ah yeah, that does make sense. Just need a way to direct people to the right sources.

I can rename the topic title, if it helps.

From my experience, Google is a bit finicky, but most of the time whatever is most relevant will pop up near the top of the search results. Usually, the name of the page/site doesn't matter too much, but when there's heavy competition, it can have a large influence.

But anyway, I have an update regarding the wiki, but it's not a good one.

Jyosua, who manages the technical side of the site is leaving for Japan today and will be gone for 2 weeks. Until then, there is no way to clean the wiki of bots and resume normal editing. Which means, the earliest we can add stuff to the wiki is in 2 week's time.

Unfortunately, there's nothing else that can be done (besides it being unreasonable to ask Jyosua to fix the wiki during his vacation, there's the fact he can't connect to the site when he's away).

But when Jyosua does come back, it should be possible to restore the damage and get operations back to normal.

That said, 2 weeks is a long time to wait and I don't really feel comfortable asking everybody here to wait that long.

Edited by VincentASM

In this case I'll put in a vote for the Wikia. I know it's just two weeks (well, I wouldn't ask someone to do wiki stuff right after they come back from vacation either), but we kind of need to take a decision on the subject so I might as well take that excuse to put a vote down in one direction :)

Edited by Ayra

Despite the delay I think that keeping the info on SF would be the best idea. Cipher could keep releasing new sets for 5+ years, and I think it would be challenging to keep a dedicated wiki active for so long.

The only reason why I'm sort of putting in a vote for the stand-alone wiki is just looking from experience.

I've been a part of the Cardfight!! Vanguard fandom since the start, and I've seen a LOT of wikis and sites like SF become successful, but then later shut down due to the managers finding something else to do.

The only thing that has been alive since the start is the wiki, since there's a tonne of good admins and it's a good source for news.

I guess I'm just a bit worried in the long run? But honestly, I don't mind where we focus to put all the news on, as long as it's all in one place. ^^

To be fair, SF has been around for 10 years, which I'm told is ancient by internet standards XD

That said, I am intending to gradually open up SF to other users. There's no way I can physically work on SF forever and I definitely don't want to see it stagnate because I'm gone.

To be fair, SF has been around for 10 years, which I'm told is ancient by internet standards XD

That said, I am intending to gradually open up SF to other users. There's no way I can physically work on SF forever and I definitely don't want to see it stagnate because I'm gone.

Oh wow, didn't know that!

To be fair I'll just stick with whatever the community wants, and then promote it through some good YouTube charisma. :P

The only reason why I'm sort of putting in a vote for the stand-alone wiki is just looking from experience.

I've been a part of the Cardfight!! Vanguard fandom since the start, and I've seen a LOT of wikis and sites like SF become successful, but then later shut down due to the managers finding something else to do.

The only thing that has been alive since the start is the wiki, since there's a tonne of good admins and it's a good source for news.

I guess I'm just a bit worried in the long run? But honestly, I don't mind where we focus to put all the news on, as long as it's all in one place. ^^

That was my feeling too. The two/three weeks is of course irrelevant in the grand scheme of things, but it shows the potential issue. If its all supervised by one person and that this person loses interest or is unavailable for a long period of time (sickness, accident, ect), then everything grinds down to an halt. A more open structure like a Wikia (at least what little I know of it) prevents that from happening.

That's why my vote goes to the Wikia slightly. The Wikia adds don't bother me much: I wouldn't be using this forum if they were since I basically have three tax-filling software adds blinking at me right now (I swear my taxes are done already!). I don't have a strong feeling either way: as Vincent mentioned, he's successfully maintained the site for over ten years and although I'm new to Serenes Forest, I can tell that what's here is dang impressive. From Cipher standpoint, the card template that Vincent put there already is great (That Chrom page looks pretty good!) and if the SF wiki is what's selected, I'll be happily contributing to it. But as mentioned, if I have to vote between the two, I'm voting slightly toward the Wikia.

I apologise again for the problems : o

Thing is, the SF wiki was created to make submissions more open and it's functionally the same as any other wiki.

The only downside is that we (or I) severely underestimated the bot issue. If there weren't any bots or I knew how many bots there would be and properly handled the situation, things should have progressed OK.

Like-wise, if a similar thing happened to another wiki, the same problems would arise. Somebody higher up the technical ladder would be required to fix the mess, but they're just as liable to be unavailable.

To be quite honest, I can't help but feel guilty for igniting this whole wiki fiasco. (Trying to help a friend start up his idea when there was already something solid going on only wound up getting me caught in the middle and creating an issue for others.) I will be happy with whatever final decision the community decides on, but I do apologize for making this an issue in the first place.

To be quite honest, I can't help but feel guilty for igniting this whole wiki fiasco. (Trying to help a friend start up his idea when there was already something solid going on only wound up getting me caught in the middle and creating an issue for others.) I will be happy with whatever final decision the community decides on, but I do apologize for making this an issue in the first place.

Hey, don't worry about it! You weren't doing it to stir a storm or anything, and the idea does have merit!

I don't really care either way. . .but I wonder if a wiki could one day take the place of SF, should it ever shut down. . .in which case starting Cipher on it might not be a bad idea. . .

Hey, don't worry at all!

We've had nothing but friendly arguments (you don't want to see some of the heated arguments you can have in the community..) and, as others have said, it's nice to have options.

No matter happens, we'd appreciate you and your friend's help--whether it's us helping you or you helping us XD

To add to what everybody else has said already; seriously, don't worry about it!

I think the main reason why we've been discussing is cause people are just anxious to contribute and stuff... or at least that's the case for me, haha.

Thanks, everyone. It's good to know that it isn't a real bother or anything. Like I said before, I'll leave the wikia as it is currently until a decision is made by everyone, and I'll be happy with whichever decision that is.