Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

My apologies for the late response, I had to undergo a surgery on Monday and have been recuperating ever since so I'm just now starting to catch up on things.

Loving the translations, but may I suggest a rewording for skill 2? (very minor thing)

"When an enemy's unit is destroyed by this attack, you may pay the cost. If you do, choose an enemy unit with a cost of 2 or less that is not their Main Character and destroy it."

Tell me if you think this is clearer or not!

So it doesn't look like ours pops up at all at this moment... Does this thread at least come up?

By all means, I'm actually quite glad people are scrutinizing my translation work, it definitely needs proofreading and editing to be better just like with any other translation work! I hope no one takes my translations as the complete picture. Rather they are a place to start from in order to better ascertain what the official card might eventually look like. Back and forther discussion will help us all get there in the end.

Regarding that suggested change for Nabarl, I think it sounds much more natural. A lot of times it's hard to divorce the sentence structure as it was in Japanese and rearrange it into English while also focusing on retaining the meaning, so a second opinion here really helps it sound better. Thank you!

In terms of the wiki situation, I would be leaning towards the wikia if somehow lines of communication could be opened with those others involved in the wikia's constructrion alongside MaerynSen. No offense intended, but I just like communication to be freely available between all parties working on a project, especially one of such magnitude as a TCG.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Glad you are recovering! Surgeries are never fun...

Should we make a poll to make the decision? We have some votes for both sides, and at this point I don't think that anyone is going to come in and say: "We have to do things my way!"

In non-important news, I finally did get enough people interested to at least give it a try that we are buying a booster box too. I don't have a good scanner, but I'll be sure to scan any unique card I get. I also reached the realization that this is the only card game I'm aware of where you can literally just take 5 boosters by themselves and have a legal deck. The only requirements to have a working deck is to have 50 cards and have at least one of them be a basic character and that's it. So 1 booster box = potential for 3 complete decks (which is relevant in my situation) so that's really nice. If they will be GOOD deck is an entirely different matter entirely, of course...

Good to know that the surgery went well! Get well soon!

Anyway, if TC doesn't come back within, say, a week, I can put the poll up? What options should be on the poll?

Anyway, if TC doesn't come back within, say, a week, I can put the poll up? What options should be on the poll?

Hmm, probably 'Wikia', 'Wiki', 'I'm fine with either'.

Is it possible to put links in the poll? So that the people voting know clearly which ones each option is referring to.

I don't know how to add a poll, I'd appreciate if you'd do that.

Hmm, probably 'Wikia', 'Wiki', 'I'm fine with either'.

Is it possible to put links in the poll? So that the people voting know clearly which ones each option is referring to.

I think Serenesforest Wiki, Dedicated Wikia, and I'm fine with either would be better options; wiki and wikia are too confusing.

In terms of the wiki situation, I would be leaning towards the wikia if somehow lines of communication could be opened with those others involved in the wikia's constructrion alongside MaerynSen. No offense intended, but I just like communication to be freely available between all parties working on a project, especially one of such magnitude as a TCG.

I would be happy to do that... if there was anyone else to communicate with at the moment. The person who helped me with the tables was really just that; my coding helper. She didn't really have any plans to do much else with the wikia afterward, although has offered to help me if she's needed later. As for the one who asked me to start this in the first place, I don't think he has anything planned outside of translations at the moment, but he hoped to do more down the road when things were more established. Even so, the translations would have to be cleaned up a bit as he is still learning English. So yeah, it's kinda... just me? So I really wouldn't blame anyone if they leaned away from the wikia because of this. (Though I can easily add mods/admins if the wikia was chosen.)

Done! You can make/edit polls by clicking Edit on the first post, then click Use Full Editor, then click Manage Poll Options on the upper-right side.

Here's the options:

- Serenes Forest Wiki: The wiki will be hosted on this wiki

- Dedicated wikia: A wikia site will be made. The format will be (site-name).wikia.com. An example wikia site is here.

- Either option is fine: Self-explanatory.

Done! You can make/edit polls by clicking Edit on the first post, then click Use Full Editor, then click Manage Poll Options on the upper-right side.

Thanks.

I'm voting for Serenesforest wiki. We already have a group of people here in the forum working on it and Vincent made the offer. The site's obviously not going anywhere since it's lasted this long. I know there are a couple problems with it at the moment, but the actual release is almost two months away and this topic can serve as the temporary depository of translations, as it has been up until now.

Also I changed the name of the topic so anyone who hasn't been following can see that it has the card translations as well.

Edited by Dan

I also voted for SF for basically the same reasons as Dan. I strongly believe that SF will keep a strong community in the forseeable future, and that's something a I just can't see a standard wiki (for an obscure card game) maintaining.

Damn aubergine, glad the surgery went fine!

On another note; hurray, this thread's active again!

I voted for SF as well, it does seem like it'd be able to live long, as long as we have a nice management of all the pages and stuff.

Thanks.

I'm voting for Serenesforest wiki. We already have a group of people here in the forum working on it and Vincent made the offer. The site's obviously not going anywhere since it's lasted this long. I know there are a couple problems with it at the moment, but the actual release is almost two months away and this topic can serve as the temporary depository of translations, as it has been up until now.

Also I changed the name of the topic so anyone who hasn't been following can see that it has the card translations as well.

Just a quick suggestion: maybe make another little change in the title of the thread to include the full name of the TCG? (i.e. The rules of Fire Emblem Cipher)

I think that way it'll show up on more google searches and stuff.

Just a quick suggestion: maybe make another little change in the title of the thread to include the full name of the TCG? (i.e. The rules of Fire Emblem Cipher)

I think that way it'll show up on more google searches and stuff.

Good idea, done.

I went ahead and voted that either option was fine for me, because if it comes down to it and both wikis exist I don't mind my translation work being used on either. Essentially, whatever wiki(s) ends up being upkept, I'll contribute translation work to it/them.

Speaking of translation work, I've been trying to piece together cards that don't have as good of a picture quality. I got one down pretty good, Great Lord Lucina, but others have been pretty difficult to determine some of the Kanji:

Great Lord Lucina

Quote: "We can change the future. We must..."
Skill 1: "Defiant of Destiny" / Beginning Phase / Once per turn / [Flip 1 Bond, Discard 1 "Lucina" card from your hand] Draw 2 cards, then select one card from your hand and put it on top of your deck. When this card has been class changed then draw 3 cards, select 2 cards from your hand, and put them in any order on top of the deck instead.
Skill 2: "Parallel Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a card with the dragon affinity this unit's attack is increased by 20.

Support Skill: N/A

Range: 1
Promoted
Great Lord

Title: Warrior from a Grim Future
Name: Lucina

Lodestar Marth

This card's picture quality is just not quite good enough for me to reliable make out some important Kanji, so I can't reliably give translations of the quote and attack names, but the gist of the Skills are:

Quote: "(?)"
Skill 1: "Hero's (?)" / Beginning Phase / [Flip 3 Bonds, Discard 1 "Marth" card from your hand] Until the end of your opponent's next turn the attack of all your ally units is increased by 30.

Skill 2: "Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a unit with the dragon affinity, this unit's attack is increased by 20.

Promoted

Lodestar

Title: (?)

Name: Marth

Great Lord Lucina

Skill 1: "Defiant of Destiny" / Beginning Phase / Once per turn / [Flip 1 Bond, Discard 1 "Lucina" card from your hand] Draw 2 cards, then select one card from your hand and put it on top of your deck. When this card has been class changed then draw 3 cards, select 2 cards from your hand, and put them in any order on top of the deck instead.

Skill 2: "Parallel Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a card with the dragon affinity this unit's attack is increased by 20.

Promoted

Great Lord

I think for her first skill, a better wording for the second part would be something like "If this Unit was Class Changed..." or "If this Unit was played for its Class Change Cost..." to make it more clear. Since it says "when" it seemed like it meant only on the turn you class changed until I read the original.

Whelp, the vote's pretty one sided, so it looks like we have our answer.

Thanks for the translations again aubergine!

I'm a bit disapointed in that Lucina ability: The art of that card is probably the best out of any card we've seen so far. It's not useless since it allows you to know your next few support cards, but the fact you have to discard a Lucina card (ie. a guaranteed critical or dodge) and you don't actually get a card advantage for it is kind of meh. Marth's ability is a pure game winner though: You can pretty much wipe off the opponent's side in a single turn (assuming equal forces), and it lasts until the end of the opponent's turn so you are pretty much immune to counter-attack? Wow! It is the most expensive ability on the highest cost card we've seen though, granted.

Whelp, the vote's pretty one sided, so it looks like we have our answer.

Thanks for the translations again aubergine!

I'm a bit disapointed in that Lucina ability: The art of that card is probably the best out of any card we've seen so far. It's not useless since it allows you to know your next few support cards, but the fact you have to discard a Lucina card (ie. a guaranteed critical or dodge) and you don't actually get a card advantage for it is kind of meh. Marth's ability is a pure game winner though: You can pretty much wipe off the opponent's side in a single turn (assuming equal forces), and it lasts until the end of the opponent's turn so you are pretty much immune to counter-attack? Wow! It is the most expensive ability on the highest cost card we've seen though, granted.

We're still not sure if it's Lucina or Great Lord Lucina that will give you the crit/evade, so maybe you're just getting rid of a basic Lucina that you don't need anymore, we'll have to wait and see. It does kind of suck that you don't get any card advantage though. If any Lucina will give you a crit/dodge I would never use this skill.

Since it is pretty much decided, I am going to go ahead and put in a request to close down the wikia today. Thank you everyone for your cooperation during all of this!

Unrelated to the whole wiki thing, but did someone mention earlier an interest in starting a trading thread once the TCG is actually released? I ask because I myself have quite a bundle of cards preordered, but I'm sure I'll probably be missing a few, so I'd definitely be interested in something like that.

I went ahead and voted that either option was fine for me, because if it comes down to it and both wikis exist I don't mind my translation work being used on either. Essentially, whatever wiki(s) ends up being upkept, I'll contribute translation work to it/them.

Speaking of translation work, I've been trying to piece together cards that don't have as good of a picture quality. I got one down pretty good, Great Lord Lucina, but others have been pretty difficult to determine some of the Kanji:

Great Lord Lucina

Promoted

Great Lord

Lodestar Marth

This card's picture quality is just not quite good enough for me to reliable make out some important Kanji, so I can't reliably give translations of the quote and attack names, but the gist of the Skills are:

Quote: "(?)"

Skill 1: "Hero's (?)" / Beginning Phase / [Flip 3 Bonds, Discard 1 "Marth" card from your hand] Until the end of your opponent's next turn the attack of all your ally units is increased by 30.

Skill 2: "Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a unit with the dragon affinity, this unit's attack is increased by 20.

Promoted

Lodestar

Title: (?)

Name: Marth

Aaaah thank you so much for these!

The Lucina is AMAZING, and I feel most people don't understand why?

In a lot of card games, namely ones where top-decking is a thing (Cipher, Cardfight!! Vanguard, Weiss Schwarz), being able to determine what you'll topdeck will allow you to take the flow of the game into your own hands, and that can often force your opponent to go on tilt and start making panicked decisions, while you can sit there at ease since you've got your entire strategy worked out.

And on top of that, you make an EASY +1 in hand advantage whether you're class changed or not, and that is so crucial in TCGs.

Second skill IS somewhat underwhelming, but oh well, I feel that the first skill makes up for that.

Marth on the other hand is very good, but rather expensive on resources, but being able to hold that power up until the end of the opponent's turn is definitely great, just need to make sure to have the right timing on it.

As for a trade thread, I'm all for it! I think it'll help a lot of us.

I think the Falchion skill is a constant - if your character is supposed to wield the Falchion, they'll get +20 against dragons, full stop. This might be useful in the future, since Path of Radiance is a planned expansion.

The Lucina is AMAZING, and I feel most people don't understand why?

In a lot of card games, namely ones where top-decking is a thing (Cipher, Cardfight!! Vanguard, Weiss Schwarz), being able to determine what you'll topdeck will allow you to take the flow of the game into your own hands, and that can often force your opponent to go on tilt and start making panicked decisions, while you can sit there at ease since you've got your entire strategy worked out.

And on top of that, you make an EASY +1 in hand advantage whether you're class changed or not, and that is so crucial in TCGs.

Second skill IS somewhat underwhelming, but oh well, I feel that the first skill makes up for that.

Marth on the other hand is very good, but rather expensive on resources, but being able to hold that power up until the end of the opponent's turn is definitely great, just need to make sure to have the right timing on it.

You don't get a card advantage though. Even if you have the CSS clause, you have to discard a Lucina card, draw 3 cards and put 2 on top of your library (So +3 cards, -3 cards). Also, the highest support skill we've seen out of any card is +30. So you get +30 for a fight of your choice. The Marth card gives +30 to ALL your characters for two entire turns (yours + the opponent), which is going to stack with the support cards (so a minimum of +40, while Lucina's is +30 max).

Sure for the trading thread, though I'm not sure I'll have anything to trade, at least upon release. Hopefully later though!

And yeah, all the falchions out there are pretty much only anti Tiki, Nowi and Nah. I guess it's mostly for flavor and consistency (though the child Tiki card is kind of decent).