Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

Ah yeah, forgot the discarding part, so no plus there.

However, after playing Vanguard on a really high competitive level, it's become very clear that a massive field boost lets your opponent just go around it immediately, while deciding your top decks is a lot more significant. But oh well, we'll see as more cards get revealed.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And yeah, all the falchions out there are pretty much only anti Tiki, Nowi and Nah. I guess it's mostly for flavor and consistency (though the child Tiki card is kind of decent).

The wyvern knight characters like Cherche are also vulnerable to Falchion.

I just noticed that the special edition for Fire emblem if will have a limited edition card for Cipher.

Anyone who's getting it, or knows someone who's getting it and is willing to scan or take a photo of the card for us?

I'm getting it. I will absolutely scan it, unless someone else gets their's and scans it first.

Since it is pretty much decided, I am going to go ahead and put in a request to close down the wikia today. Thank you everyone for your cooperation during all of this!

Unrelated to the whole wiki thing, but did someone mention earlier an interest in starting a trading thread once the TCG is actually released? I ask because I myself have quite a bundle of cards preordered, but I'm sure I'll probably be missing a few, so I'd definitely be interested in something like that.

I don't want to jinx it, but you should keep the existing content and just lock down the wiki (if it's possible).

Just in case there's the 0.1% chance we can't use SF's wiki.

We'll find out in a week or so anyway.

Speaking of the future, I wonder how the colours will work in later expansions. At the moment, Awakening is Red and Shadow Dragon is Blue. Presumably series 2 has Black (Nohr) and White (Hoshido).

But then series 3 and afterwards could get a bit complicated, in a rainbow kind of way. For starters, what colour will Path of Radiance be? Green? The same series also has additional Fire Emblem if cards, so will there be series 3 Black and White cards or maybe Grey cards?

After 5 weeks, FE Cipher products finally came down from the top of the "most sold Card Games" list on AmiAmi...

Considering that it's not out for another two (long) months, I'd say that's a pretty good sign! Though I suppose we'll see for real after it comes out.

Regarding colors, White and Black are very likely. Green for Path of Radiance would make sense. I think the new IF cards that will come out in the 3rd set will be split between White and Black. I guess Gray is not impossible either if there's some characters that are unique to the 3rd route, or the "characters that follow Kamui on both sides" would go into that faction. If we take Aqua for example, I could see two possibilities: 1) She's in the gray faction, or 2) She has multiple cards, some in Black and some in White.

Beyond that.... maybe the other sets will be split across the various color (Though that'd make it hard to have, say, a FE7 deck)? Or maybe one color per existing older world? For some reason I'm not seeing FE8 or Gaiden getting a fully dedicated set release (Older games, smaller casts, only one game).

Having a lot of colors in the game is not much of an issue in this game due to how the Bond system works though. A few cards are color-specific (so far only the "lord" units and Tiki) and mixing a ton of colors in one deck would be problematic, but overall you can mix a few with no problems so you can still get your dream deck functional. Well, as long as it's not Marth-Chrom-Ryouma-Marx set.

I guess Gray is not impossible either if there's some characters that are unique to the 3rd route, or the "characters that follow Kamui on both sides" would go into that faction. If we take Aqua for example, I could see two possibilities: 1) She's in the gray faction, or 2) She has multiple cards, some in Black and some in White.

Somehow, I now imagine Aqua to be the special card bundled in the special FE:if edition.

Somehow, I now imagine Aqua to be the special card bundled in the special FE:if edition.

I'm sure that there's going to be other Aqua cards (I mean, there's at least 4 Marth cards for example), but I think your guess is a pretty good one.

I don't want to jinx it, but you should keep the existing content and just lock down the wiki (if it's possible).

Just in case there's the 0.1% chance we can't use SF's wiki.

We'll find out in a week or so anyway.

Slightly too late on that, I'm afraid. However, Wikia won't let me outright delete the wiki. (Tried disputing it with support, they absolutely will not budge.) So regardless, the Cipher wikia is always going to just... be there. I'm sure things will get working just fine on this end, but if for some reason it -doesn't-, I can easily enough bring a lot of stuff back. Regardless, whenever things are more established on the wiki here, I'll happily put a link on the front page of the wikia, just in case someone happens to stumble across it.

Edited by MaerynSen

After 5 weeks, FE Cipher products finally came down from the top of the "most sold Card Games" list on AmiAmi...

Five WEEKS? I hope this means that the game comes to the US!

I think for her first skill, a better wording for the second part would be something like "If this Unit was Class Changed..." or "If this Unit was played for its Class Change Cost..." to make it more clear. Since it says "when" it seemed like it meant only on the turn you class changed until I read the original.

That definitely sounds better I think. I'm thinking about editing all of the card translations that we've done so far in one post just to recap and for better reference in the future. Things have been a bit busy at work lately, but I'm also wanting to try getting some more cards done, if even in a tentative state like I ended up having to do for Lodestar Marth. The more work done before the game is released means the quicker we can get this information out there for everybody.

It's great to see increased sales for this game, I would love for it to see a wider release in other regions. The deck coloring system might not be something that is as strictly adhered later as it will be for the first few sets. I think later sets will just ingratiate into the pre-existing colors, but it will be interesting to see what they do for the first waves of this TCG.

That definitely sounds better I think. I'm thinking about editing all of the card translations that we've done so far in one post just to recap and for better reference in the future. Things have been a bit busy at work lately, but I'm also wanting to try getting some more cards done, if even in a tentative state like I ended up having to do for Lodestar Marth. The more work done before the game is released means the quicker we can get this information out there for everybody.

By the way, thank you so much for all this translating you're doing. It's a big help and as you can see in this thread the community really appreciates it.

It's great to see increased sales for this game, I would love for it to see a wider release in other regions. The deck coloring system might not be something that is as strictly adhered later as it will be for the first few sets. I think later sets will just ingratiate into the pre-existing colors, but it will be interesting to see what they do for the first waves of this TCG.

This is obviously not as strategic or complicated as something like MTG, so it's possible they'll just keep making new colors; there's nothing saying they need to be limited to certain colors. There are only 14 FE games so far; ROY G BIV is already 7 colors (6 really, indigo's not a real color), plus there's brown, white, black, gray, dark/neon/pastel versions of each color, etc. And that way they'll get people to keep buying the new sets.

Er, hullo, sorry to interrupt. I was told to come here (I think this is the right board? so sorry if it isn't!) to offer my services as a translator. I'll pretty much try my hand at anything (I'm used to translating denser stuff like VNs, but I've lost my editor so translations might be awkward) so long as I have a clear image to work with!

I'm mostly on the if boards - I'll try to be diligent, but if anything new comes up and you want it translated, please shoot me a PM and I'll try and get it done ASAP. Please don't be shy about requesting things - I find it good practice and I'm always happy to be of service, although I'm not always the fastest... ^^;

Huh. Do you remember which of the packs (Archanea/Ylisse) is the number 1 spot more often?

Ylisse seems to come out on top more often, but I guess that makes sense considering the popularity. ^^;

Er, hullo, sorry to interrupt. I was told to come here (I think this is the right board? so sorry if it isn't!) to offer my services as a translator. I'll pretty much try my hand at anything (I'm used to translating denser stuff like VNs, but I've lost my editor so translations might be awkward) so long as I have a clear image to work with!

I'm mostly on the if boards - I'll try to be diligent, but if anything new comes up and you want it translated, please shoot me a PM and I'll try and get it done ASAP. Please don't be shy about requesting things - I find it good practice and I'm always happy to be of service, although I'm not always the fastest... ^^;

Ooooh, this is really helpful! Thank you! ^^

Welcome! Your offer is very welcome! I don't think we have much left that's translate-able at the moment, but we'll have a heck of a lot once we have new revealed cards or have a complete ruleset. Hopefully soon!

I've finally was able to piece together the last Kanji that were evading me on Tharja's Dark mage card:

Tharja

Quote: “I’ve always been quite good at choosing who to hate on my own…”

Skill 1: “Flux” / α / [Tap this card, Flip 2 Bonds] Your opponent must choose one card from their hand and discard it.

Skill 2: N/A

Support Skill: N/A

Range: 1-2

Unpromoted

Dark Mage

Title: The Bewitching Shaman from Plegia

Name: Tharja

Always great to see more people willing to translate! Thank you for offering up your services. This is pretty fortuitous timing, I just got done compiling all the translation work that has been done so far across the thread in one long Spoiler Tag. I'll try and keep updating it with new work as it gets completed.

Legend

α = Beginning Phase

& = Supplementary/Dependent

∞ = Always Active

§ = Special

= Support

Tentative

Lodestar Marth

Quote: "(?)"
Skill 1: "Hero's (?)" / α / [Flip 3 Bonds, Discard 1 "Marth" card from your hand] Until the end of your opponent's next turn the attack of all your ally units is increased by 30.

Skill 2: "Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a unit with the dragon affinity, this unit's attack is increased by 20.

Range: 1

Promoted

Lodestar

Title: (?)

Name: Marth

Completed

Tharja

Skill 1: “Flux” / α / [Tap this card, Flip 2 Bonds] Your opponent must choose one card from their hand and discard it.

Unpromoted

Dark Mage

Lucina
Quote: Marth...my name is Marth.
Skill 1: "Name of the Hero King" / § / Treat this card as if the name is Marth.
Skill 2: "Parallel Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a dragon affinity card, this unit's attack increases by 20 points.
Attack Support Skill: "Hero's Emblem" /
/ If the attacking unit has the Brand affinity, then until the end of this attack phase the orbs it will destroy is now 2.

Unpromoted
Lord

Title: The swordsman known as Marth.
Name: Lucina

Gaius
Quote: Hmm, I'll take the job but the reward better be sweet.
Skill 1: "Assassinate" / α / Reveal the top card of the opponent's deck. If that card's cost is 3 or more, then you can choose to flip two Bonds in order to destroy that card.
Skill 2: CCS / "Just Desserts" / & / If this unit successfully assassinates an opponent's card, draw one card. (CCS: If this unit was placed without the promotion unit cost, this skill is inactive).

Promoted
Assassin

Title: The Sweetest Assassin.
Name: Gaius

Palla
Quote: Come, let's settle this! Triangle Attack!!
Skill 1: FS / "Triangle Attack" / & / [This can only be performed while Catria and Est are in play and have not taken an action.] During this unit's attack, if you pay the cost for all 3 units then until the end of your attack phase this unit's attack power increases by 50 and cannot be avoided.
Skill 2: "Sisterly Ties" / ∞ / If this unit has any level support with either Catria or Est, then add 10 points to this unit's attack.

Promoted
Falcon Knight

Title: Eldest of the Pegasus Sisters
Name: Palla

Chrom

Quote: "Anything can change!"
Skill 1: "Mark of Naga" / ∞ / For every other class changed unit on your battlefield this unit gains plus 10 to attack.
/ If the attacking unit has the Brand (affinity), then until the end of this attack phase that ally now destroys 2 orbs.

Unpromoted
Lord

Title: Crown-prince of Ylisse
Name: Chrom

Linde

Quote: "Father...your murderer will be brought to justice. I-I must vanquish Gharnef!"
Skill 1: "Thunder" / α / Once per turn / [Flip one Bond] Until the end of this turn this unit's attack increases by 10.
Attack Support Skill: "Mage's Emblem" /
/ Draw one card. Then, choose one card from your hand and place it in the discard pile.

Unpromoted
Mage

Title: Daughter of Pontifex Miloah
Name: Linde

Maribelle

Quote: "Oh hey yourself, Lissa! I've sprouted about 14 gray hairs fretting over you!"
Skill 1: "Heal" / α / [Tap this unit, Flip 2 Bonds] Choose a card from your discard pile except "Maribelle" and add it to your hand.
Skill 2: "Women of Nobility" / ∞ / During your turn if you have the unit "Lissa" active then that unit's attack is increased by 20.

Defense Support Skill: "Cleric's Emblem" /
/ Until the end of the attack phase the attacking unit can't perform Critical Hits.

Range: --
Unpromoted
Troubadour

Title: Sharp-Tongued Noblewoman
Name: Maribelle

Marth

Quote: "This is my fate...to prove my worth as Prince of Altea I must reclaim the Exalted Falchion and defeat Doluna."
Skill 1: "Young Hero" / α / [Tap this unit, Only usable before any other ally has taken an action] Choose one enemy unit and move it. This skill can't be used if Marth isn't on the Front Line.

Attack Support Skill: "Hero's Emblem" / / If the attacking unit has the Falchion affinity then until the end of your attack phase the amount of orbs it destroys is now 2.

Unpromoted
Lord

Title: Crown Prince of Altea

Tiki

Quote: "You don't mind if I call you Mar-mar, do you?"
Skill 1: "Ancient Dragon Tribe" / ∞ / If there are 4 or more cards in your Bond Area, then this unit's attack increases by 30.

Attack Support Skill: "Manakete's Emblem" / / If the attacking unit has the Falchion affinity, then you may choose one card from your hand and put it in your Bond Area.

Non-promotable
Manakete

Title: Princess of the Divine Dragon Tribe
Name: Tiki

Nabarl

Quote: "...enough talk. Draw."
Skill 1: "Quick Draw" / α / [Discard one "Nabarl" card from your hand] Until the end of this turn, this unit's attacks cannot be avoided.
Skill 2: "Dual-Sword Technique" / & / [Flip one Bond] When an enemy's unit is destroyed by this attack, you may pay the cost. If you do, choose an enemy unit with a cost of 2 or less that is not their Main Character and destroy it.

Promoted
Swordmaster

Title: Crimson God of Death
Name: Nabarl

Great Lord Lucina

Quote: "We can change the future. We must..."
Skill 1: "Defiant of Destiny" / α / Once per turn / [Flip 1 Bond, Discard 1 "Lucina" card from your hand] Draw 2 cards, then select one card from your hand and put it on top of your deck. If this card has been class changed then instead draw 3 cards, select 2 cards from your hand, and put them in any order on top of the deck.
Skill 2: "Parallel Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a card with the dragon affinity this unit's attack is increased by 20.

Promoted
Great Lord

Title: Warrior from a Grim Future

Thanks for the compilation! Would it be possible to reword things so they're consistent. For example. . .

(Chrom)

Skill 1: "Mark of Naga" / ∞ / For every other class changed unit on your battlefield this unit gains plus 10 to attack.

(Tiki)

Skill 1: "Ancient Dragon Tribe" / ∞ / If there are 4 or more cards in your Bond Area, then this unit's attack increases by 30.

Chrom's a bit of an outlier, given the bold statement. I'd reword it to match the verbage of every other attack boosting skill. . .so perhaps something like this?

(Chrom - one proposal)

Skill 1: "Mark of Naga" / ∞ / For every other class changed unit on your battlefield this unit's attack increases by 10.

For card games, wording is really important. It's the reason why there's weird issues in games like Yu-Gi-Oh!, where "sent to the graveyard" doesn't trigger effects that require the card to be destroyed, etc.

So the official site just updated.

Funny how everything but the Fire Emblem if site have been updated.

cipher_img03.jpg

Not sure if there's much new, but holy heck, there are going to be rare signed cards?

HURRAY SIGNED CARDS!

Although watch as they're like... $100 a piece... orz

If I get a signed card that look like Lissa's, I'm trading it away for sure. I'm not much of a collector and if I can get multiple usable cards for the "price" of a signed one, I'd jump at the opportunity.

My heart kind of jumped when I saw that they had added a "Beginner" section to the site. I thought that they had posted the basic official rules there, but nope... It's just a really basic explanation of what card games in general are. There's a few rules in the About Cipher section, but it's just the most basic ones from the stream/articles. And no good resolution card artwork either. And the waiting resumes... oh well!

In accordance with the official site update, I've updated the tentative section of the translation Spoiler Tag with Est and Catria's information. I'm only missing the quotes from their cards for a more complete translation.

Thanks for the compilation! Would it be possible to reword things so they're consistent. For example. . .

Thanks for spotting that, consider it updated! You are absolutely right, wording is key in card games. When compiling that list I tried to go back and edit the earlier translations to match the better wording established in other cards later, but I definitely missed some things. Another thing I tried to do is keep the single-Kanji-symbol system in place that the Japanese cards use to denote certain rules without taking up too much space, thus the Legend at the top. Let me know if anyone can think of better one character symbols that represent those ideas to a western audience...the "special" symbol in particular is one I imagine not as many people are familiar with and wouldn't immediately understand the meaning without having to consult a manual. There's definitely a distinct advantage that the Kanji system has in terms of readability, so that has been particularly nagging at me in terms of a complete localization of this TCG.

-CHANGELOG-

-Rewording on Chrom's Skill 2 thanks to eclipse

-Changed the wording of the "Sisterly Ties" Skill to sound more natural/fluid

-Added CSS and FS to the Legend

-Added "Est" and "Catria" cards to Tentative section

Legend

α = Beginning Phase

& = Supplementary/Dependent

∞ = Always Active

§ = Special

= Support

CCS = Class Change Skill

FS = Formation Skill

Tentative

Lodestar Marth

Quote: "(?)"
Skill 1: "Hero's (?)" / α / [Flip 3 Bonds, Discard 1 "Marth" card from your hand] Until the end of your opponent's next turn the attack of all your ally units is increased by 30.

Skill 2: "Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a unit with the dragon affinity, this unit's attack is increased by 20.

Promoted

Lodestar

Title: (?)

Catria

Quote: “(?). Triangle Attack!!”
Skill 1: FS / "Triangle Attack" / & / [This can only be performed while Catria and Est are in play and have not taken an action.] During this unit's attack, if you pay the cost for all 3 units then until the end of your attack phase this unit's attack power increases by 50 and cannot be avoided.
Skill 2: "Sisterly Ties" / ∞ / If this unit has either Palla or Est as their support, then add 10 points to this unit's attack.

Promoted
Falcon Knight

Title: Middle Child of the Pegasus Sisters
Name: Catria

Est

Quote: “(?). Triangle Attack!!”
Skill 2: "Sisterly Ties" / ∞ / If this unit has either Palla or Catria as their support, then add 10 points to this unit's attack.

Promoted
Falcon Knight

Title: Youngest of the Pegasus Sisters

Name: Est

Completed

Tharja

Unpromoted

Dark Mage

Lucina
Quote: Marth...my name is Marth.
Skill 1: "Name of the Hero King" / § / Treat this card as if the name is Marth.
Skill 2: "Parallel Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a dragon affinity card, this unit's attack increases by 20 points.
/ If the attacking unit has the Brand affinity, then until the end of this attack phase the orbs it will destroy is now 2.

Unpromoted
Lord

Title: The swordsman known as Marth.

Gaius
Quote: Hmm, I'll take the job but the reward better be sweet.
Skill 1: "Assassinate" / α / Reveal the top card of the opponent's deck. If that card's cost is 3 or more, then you can choose to flip two Bonds in order to destroy that card.
Skill 2: CCS / "Just Desserts" / & / If this unit successfully assassinates an opponent's card, draw one card. (CCS: If this unit was placed without the promotion unit cost, this skill is inactive).

Promoted
Assassin

Title: The Sweetest Assassin.
Name: Gaius

Palla
Quote: Come, let's settle this! Triangle Attack!!
Skill 2: "Sisterly Ties" / ∞ / If this unit has either Catria or Est as their support, then add 10 points to this unit's attack.

Promoted
Falcon Knight

Title: Eldest of the Pegasus Sisters
Name: Palla

Chrom

Quote: "Anything can change!"
Skill 1: "Mark of Naga" / ∞ / For every other class changed unit on your battlefield this unit’s attack increases by 10.
/ If the attacking unit has the Brand (affinity), then until the end of this attack phase that ally now destroys 2 orbs.

Unpromoted
Lord

Title: Crown-prince of Ylisse
Name: Chrom

Linde

Quote: "Father...your murderer will be brought to justice. I-I must vanquish Gharnef!"
Skill 1: "Thunder" / α / Once per turn / [Flip one Bond] Until the end of this turn this unit's attack increases by 10.
Attack Support Skill: "Mage's Emblem" /
/ Draw one card. Then, choose one card from your hand and place it in the discard pile.

Unpromoted
Mage

Title: Daughter of Pontifex Miloah
Name: Linde

Maribelle

Quote: "Oh hey yourself, Lissa! I've sprouted about 14 gray hairs fretting over you!"
Skill 1: "Heal" / α / [Tap this unit, Flip 2 Bonds] Choose a card from your discard pile except "Maribelle" and add it to your hand.
Skill 2: "Women of Nobility" / ∞ / During your turn if you have the unit "Lissa" active then that unit's attack is increased by 20.

Defense Support Skill: "Cleric's Emblem" /
/ Until the end of the attack phase the attacking unit can't perform Critical Hits.

Range: --
Unpromoted
Troubadour

Title: Sharp-Tongued Noblewoman
Name: Maribelle

Marth

Quote: "This is my fate...to prove my worth as Prince of Altea I must reclaim the Exalted Falchion and defeat Doluna."
Skill 1: "Young Hero" / α / [Tap this unit, Only usable before any other ally has taken an action] Choose one enemy unit and move it. This skill can't be used if Marth isn't on the Front Line.

Attack Support Skill: "Hero's Emblem" / / If the attacking unit has the Falchion affinity then until the end of your attack phase the amount of orbs it destroys is now 2.

Unpromoted
Lord

Title: Crown Prince of Altea

Tiki

Quote: "You don't mind if I call you Mar-mar, do you?"

Attack Support Skill: "Manakete's Emblem" / / If the attacking unit has the Falchion affinity, then you may choose one card from your hand and put it in your Bond Area.

Non-promotable
Manakete

Title: Princess of the Divine Dragon Tribe
Name: Tiki

Nabarl

Quote: "...enough talk. Draw."
Skill 1: "Quick Draw" / α / [Discard one "Nabarl" card from your hand] Until the end of this turn, this unit's attacks cannot be avoided.
Skill 2: "Dual-Sword Technique" / & / [Flip one Bond] When an enemy's unit is destroyed by this attack, you may pay the cost. If you do, choose an enemy unit with a cost of 2 or less that is not their Main Character and destroy it.

Promoted
Swordmaster

Title: Crimson God of Death
Name: Nabarl

Great Lord Lucina

Quote: "We can change the future. We must..."
Skill 1: "Defiant of Destiny" / α / Once per turn / [Flip 1 Bond, Discard 1 "Lucina" card from your hand] Draw 2 cards, then select one card from your hand and put it on top of your deck. If this card has been class changed then instead draw 3 cards, select 2 cards from your hand, and put them in any order on top of the deck.
Skill 2: "Parallel Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a card with the dragon affinity this unit's attack is increased by 20.

Promoted
Great Lord

Title: Warrior from a Grim Future

Edited by aubergine