Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

Hmm... At the bottom left of page 22, we can see Chrom attacking diagonally. I kind of assumed you could only attack the enemy facing you directly, but that's obviously incorrect. I wonder if you can only attack diagonal if there's no enemy in front of your card, or if you can all the time..?

It was stated earlier that you select attackers and their targets. That's really all I got to say. Right now, you may have to go simultaneous, but I bet it's one at a time, especially with how Olivia works.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to assume you meant 50 in the trial decks and 10 in the booster packs here.

@Kirie: Thank you for the info on card sizes! I've already placed a preorder for a bunch of them.

Yeah. Whoops, sorry! :P:

Seriously thinking about getting the 25th anniversary sleeves now. I'm so excited~!

Yeah. Whoops, sorry! :P:

Seriously thinking about getting the 25th anniversary sleeves now. I'm so excited~!

i think the 25th anniversary ones are the best the sprite art is too nice.

They're card protector sleeves. You know the ones you see in many trading card games like Magic: The Gathering and Yugioh but with pictures slapped on the back.

Vm5nQQ7.jpg

They're card protector sleeves. You know the ones you see in many trading card games like Magic: The Gathering and Yugioh but with pictures slapped on the back.

Ah yes, I thought so. But I was confused about the sigificance of the pictures as I didn't know sleeves with pictures existed. Thank you for califying.

This is gonna be a tad awkward for me, but I have some concerns about the wiki that I feel haven't been discussed yet and I also feel they should be.

For translations (since we need to agree on universal terminology here, so as to limit confusion), do we go with fan translations or Nintendo translations? After all, for them, it's "Navarre", not "Nabarl". Do we go with "Lord" or "Main Character"? "Brand" or "Shepherds"?

And what of the effects themselves? By this, I mean, a universal way to phrase them. Do we go casual and make it sound like how an actual person would phrase how it works, or do we go technical to limit ruling confusion (aka "idiot-proofing")? And even after that, there are multiple ways to go about that, as well, seeing as YGO and CFV take different approaches to that.

And then there are the affinities. One can easily go "just list every card with that affinity on its respective page", but right off the bat, male and female will have really long lists. And that isn't even going into how many sword wielders there is going to eventually be. Do we just do separate pages for each series with each affinity (despite series mixing being possible)?

Thank you for your time and all that.

This is gonna be a tad awkward for me, but I have some concerns about the wiki that I feel haven't been discussed yet and I also feel they should be.

For translations (since we need to agree on universal terminology here, so as to limit confusion), do we go with fan translations or Nintendo translations? After all, for them, it's "Navarre", not "Nabarl". Do we go with "Lord" or "Main Character"? "Brand" or "Shepherds"?

And what of the effects themselves? By this, I mean, a universal way to phrase them. Do we go casual and make it sound like how an actual person would phrase how it works, or do we go technical to limit ruling confusion (aka "idiot-proofing")? And even after that, there are multiple ways to go about that, as well, seeing as YGO and CFV take different approaches to that.

And then there are the affinities. One can easily go "just list every card with that affinity on its respective page", but right off the bat, male and female will have really long lists. And that isn't even going into how many sword wielders there is going to eventually be. Do we just do separate pages for each series with each affinity (despite series mixing being possible)?

I'm saying we go idiot-proof, it's always nicer to have it be more technical.

Regarding the translations, I really do think this is something that should be discussed. There are many things that will definitely need to be Nintendo Official on the wiki, in my opinion, like character names (i.e. Navarre should be used instead of Nabarl). Then there are things that are less definite, but things like Brand/Shepards again I think it would be best to go Nintendo official and use Shepards. Since I think many of us hope that this will get an official translation one day, no matter how improbable that might be, we should set up a English fan translation wiki reflecting that hope and stick with Nintendo official nomenclature aka what is most likely to be used for an official localized version of the game. This is definitely something I need to address within my own translation work, as currently the naming system is all over the place.

On other things like Lord/Main Character, I think we should err on the side of caution since we don't have all the details about how Cipher functions mechanically as a TCG. I've heard that you might be able to use a character card that is not necessarily a Lord class as your Lord/Main Character, and so then "Lord" would be more confusing than helpful. As a tentative selection I would choose the term that causes less confusion and use Main Character until more official details are confirmed.

As much as possible and as much work as those contributing feel up to doing towards this end, wiki's should be as user friendly and "idiot proof" as possible. That being said, certain redundancy like the gender affinity are probably not necessary outside of making a short paragraph description outlining what said affinity actual does for gameplay.

That's just my thoughts on it!

Edited by aubergine

I agree with aubergine, we should use Nintendo Official translations as much as possible, and that's a good observation that "Lord" can be confusing since we're not sure if it has to be a Lord class. User-friendly and idiot-proof are good general policies.

As for the affinities/genders/weapons, we can use the built-in categories function like on Wikipedia, you go to the bottom of the page and it lists the categories, and you can click a category and it will list every page in that category.

You know, I didn't think that about how "Lord" can get in the way of the class and can lead to confusion among those who don't know better. And I'm glad I brought up the "affinity" thing. I honestly couldn't think of a way to resolve that well, but making each a category works rather well, I think. I would still make a page for each, but only to list support and anti-support, like the fact that Lucina's 2 orb destruction effect only applies to Shepherd characters or how Ricken gets a power boost when attacking Winged characters.

But yeah, I do think it's important to have a wiki up and running with most setup issues resolved by the time we start to get a lot more card info.

- NoA translations, since I think that's what most people are familiar with? So, uh, sorry Sheeda people.

- I despise the new Yu-Gi-Oh! wording, if that's any help. It didn't flow, and thus made it twice as hard for me to figure out what the cards were supposed to do. Would heavily prefer Vanguard's wording. Regardless, the wording MUST be consistent, lest we get "destroyed and sent to the graveyard" vs. "sent to the graveyard" vs. "destroyed".

- I'd put every affinity as its own category, and fly from there (so Inigo would be "male", "Shepard", "sword", etc.). The Cardfight! Vanguard wiki does a pretty good job of this.

If it helps, I'm pretty sure Nintendo is practically ripping off CFV wording in the JP version lol.

And can anyone double-check those gameplay images and see if they have terms for certain actions? It's just "flip 2 bonds" may be possibly correct, but I do wonder what "tap this unit" will be. It's hard to imagine what the wiki entries will look like if we don't know the proper wording.

- NoA translations, since I think that's what most people are familiar with? So, uh, sorry Sheeda people.

- I despise the new Yu-Gi-Oh! wording, if that's any help. It didn't flow, and thus made it twice as hard for me to figure out what the cards were supposed to do. Would heavily prefer Vanguard's wording. Regardless, the wording MUST be consistent, lest we get "destroyed and sent to the graveyard" vs. "sent to the graveyard" vs. "destroyed".

- I'd put every affinity as its own category, and fly from there (so Inigo would be "male", "Shepard", "sword", etc.). The Cardfight! Vanguard wiki does a pretty good job of this.

I'm also siding with the Vanguard wording, and I can help with formatting that a lot if needed.

Say, do we have any updates on when the SF Wiki will be up and running?

I'm also siding with the Vanguard wording, and I can help with formatting that a lot if needed.

Say, do we have any updates on when the SF Wiki will be up and running?

Well, Jyosua is back now and we should be ready to restore a working backup soon; hopefully during this weekend ^^

EDIT

This might be useful.

Edited by VincentASM

Unless the reporters got the rules wrong (We've been shown Draug and Merric as main characters), it's extremely likely you can use non-lord characters as your main. The wording on that scan translation seems to agree too. In my opinion, the bigger question is if your selection is from non-class changed characters, or from characters with a cost of 1.

Anyway, that's some great work done on that scan! It's nothing we didn't know before, but it's certainly nice to have a written confirmation! From what I could see I don't think there's going to be much new stuff on the other scans (Except for the diagonal attack thing); I don't think it specifies if you have to use the exact same card for crits/dodge or simillarly named ones.

I agree with always using the NoA wording. We are making an English-language wiki, after all. There's a few things that are a bit harder (like the things that are just icons like the "faction affiliation") but consistent wording is of course important. I'm not too familiar with the Vanguard wording, but since this game shares a good amount of similarities it could be a good base for the wording. Better than Magic the Gathering would be anyway.

I just don't get a little thing (and i'm too lazy, so i won't see if in 14 pages of discussion someone asked the same question, so..)

If want to play an unit, but you don't have enough bond, what happens?

The unite can't be played or you need to "pay" in another way?

P.S. Is an unit correct? Or is A unit? An unit sound a little bit strange to me; sorry for that, but i don't have a real english teacher, at school, he just come in classroom, and he let us use our phones or study other subjects, so my english... sucks, a lot :(

I just don't get a little thing (and i'm too lazy, so i won't see if in 14 pages of discussion someone asked the same question, so..)

P.S. Is an unit correct? Or is A unit? An unit sound a little bit strange to me; sorry for that, but i don't have a real english teacher, at school, he just come in classroom, and he let us use our phones or study other subjects, so my english... sucks, a lot :(

First, welcome~! Your English is a lot better than anything else I could belt out in another language!

Just like any other game with a cost, if you can't pay it, I don't think you can play it. Magic the Gathering has card costs. . .but I'm going to use Force of Will because I'm more familiar with the costs. Here's two common scenarios:

- You drew Yamata-No-Orochi! It's a very powerful card, but it costs five fire and five colorless (trivia: It's got the highest cost in the Grimm cluster, off the top of my head). If you only have four fire, you can't play it - you're short one fire and five colorless!

- You drew Grimm, the Fairy Tale Avenger (and his artwork is as badass as his name). He costs two white. However, you have one white, and a bunch of other things that can't produce white. He'll chill out in your hand until you find another source of white.

Ok, thanks, now it makes sense;

i'm so hyped for this cards, their artworks are just amazing ^^

Basically you can't play it until you have enough bonds. ^^

I am wondering if people wouldn't mind me starting a separate thread focused specifically on card translation work. The main reason I'm asking is that it's becoming a bit unwieldly to continue posting the entire "Cipher Compendium" in each post as it grows. I'm currently working on editing it for Official Nintendo nomenclature as well as adding in other information that will be helpful, and then I'm also adding cards as they come in. I definitely want to keep people up to date, but posting it in each new post is a bit wonky as I copy it over from my word document on my computer, it's mostly just document styles not being compatible between the forum code and Microsoft Word. If I did start a new thread I would keep the first post updated and just post new translations on their own as time went on. Let me know if this sounds good or not, I wouldn't want to start cluttering things up on the General FE Forum.

Anyway, on to the real reason for the post: translation updates. Coming off of translating those tweets I found that the official cards that they released in the tweets are cards that I hadn't seen before and were not translated yet...so I decided to remedy that! These two cards will be from the starter decks and vary a decent bit from the previous iterations I have translated despite having the same classes. The fact that they were put on the Official Twitter leads me to believe these are probably the most official, and dare I say most finalized, cards we have seen yet.
Click past the spoiler tags to see the translated info. Keep in mind that I'm still working on localization of the attack names, quotes, and titles.

Starter Deck Lodestar Marth:

Marth – Cost: 4 / Promotion Cost: 3 / Rarity: N/A / Series 1 Starter Deck 1 Card #001

Affinities: Falchion / Male / Sword

Quote: "”
Skill 1: "Hero’s Light" / & / [Once per Turn] After playing an ally unit with a cost of 2 or less, you may choose one of your opponent’s Rear Guard units and move it.
Skill 2: “Falchion” / § / When this unit attacks a Dragon affinity unit this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Support Skill: N/A

Attack Power: 70

Support Attack Power: 20
Range: 1
Promoted
Class: Lodestar
Title: Lodestar

Name: Marth

Card ID: S01-001ST

Illustrator: Yusuke Kozaki

Starter Deck Great Lord Chrom:

Chrom – Cost: 4 / Promotion Cost: 3 / Rarity: N/A / Series 1 Starter Deck 2 Card #001

Affinities: Falchion / Male / Sword

Quote: “”

Skill 1: “” / & / [Once per Turn] After an ally unit class changes, until the end of this turn that unit’s attack is increased by 20 and the orbs that it destroys as a result of combat is now 2.

Skill 2: “(Sealed) Falchion” / ∞ / When this unit attacks a Dragon affinity unit this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Support Skill: N/A

Attack Power: 70

Support Attack Power: 20

Range: 1

Promoted

Class: Great Lord

Title:

Name: Chrom

Card ID: S02-001ST

Illustrator: Yusuke Kozaki

Edited by aubergine