Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For anyone interested, Series 2 stuff is already up for pre-order on AmiAmi. Here is their page for the booster box (same as before, 16 packs of 10 cards each), and the "Related Items" section on that page has links for each of the starter decks (and also to buy cases of multiple starter decks).

Edited by Kirie

Another card down! Julian's translation is done. As the twitter post hinted, this card's skills are pretty technical, being all about controlling what unit's the opponent draws as well as allowing yourself to draw more cards. He's also pretty strong for a 2 cost character that has no real negatives. Athena is the only 2 cost unit so far with higher attack at 60, but she can't be played unless there are 5 or more cards in your discard pile. Sure one of his skills gives the opponent more bonds if you decide to use it, but if you use that skill right you could really cripple the opponent's strategy. One of the more interesting cards so far from a game mechanics standpoint.

Also I'd be down for trying Skype matches here or there when I've got the time, if those become a thing.

Julian%20Theif%20B01-027HN.jpg

Julian (Thief of the Altean Army) Rarity: Uncommon / Series 1 Booster Card #027

Cost: 2

Symbol: Shadow Dragon

Affinities: Male / Sword

Quote: Huh? Im not a bad guyanymore. Now, Im a Paragon of Justice.

Skill 1: Locktouch / α / [Tap this Card] Reveal the top card of your opponents deck. If that cards placement cost is 3 or higher and you flip one bond, you may then draw a card from your deck.

Skill 2: Snatch / α / [Flip 1 Bond] Put the top card of your opponents deck into their retreat area.

Support Skill: N/A

Attack Power: 50

Support Attack Power: 10

Range: 1

Unpromoted

Class: Thief

Title: Thief of the Altean Army

Card ID: B01-027HN

Illustrator: Mio Itou

I'm working with a programmer buddy of mine to get a simulator up and running. Of course, it'll probably take a month after the first set drops before it's ready, at best lol. Just want to point that out, since that Skype group can help with that (right? *eyes sparkle*).

Of course, if Nintendo gives a cease and desist order, then it will get shut down, but I hope that goes without saying.

This sounds pretty interesting. Could be a pretty promising alternative if the game never comes out over here. I know something like that can be a pretty large endeavor, so I hope yall the best on working on it! Edited by aubergine

Thank goodness I found this forum! I was worried there was no fanbase for this TCG and I would only be play woefully with my 2 friends.

I haven't got time to go through all 18 pages of this thread, but here's a few things on the rules that I understood from the main website (http://fecipher.jp/howto/index.html)

-Your deck can have 50 cards and above

-For Critical Attack, you discard a card with the same character name as the one attacking

Naming clarification:

称号:Title

ユニット名:Character name
Together they make カード名 (Card Name)
Depending on what the card effect requires, it will differ on whether you need the exact same card or just the same character
-Deployment: The 'colour' system from Weiss is here. You need to have at least 1 card of the same 'Symbol' (Awakening/Shadow Dragon) in your Bond Area to deploy your unit (e.g. you need an card from the Awakening series in your Bond Area to play any Awakening character)
-You can deploy the unit as long as you have the required 'colour', and the cost of the cards you are playing are equal or lesser than the total number of cards in your Bond Area.
E.g. Your Bond Area has 1 red 4 blue. You can deploy/Class Change any number of red and blue units with total cost is 5 or lesser
your Bond Area has 5 blue. You can only deploy/Class Change any number of blue units with total cost 5 or lesser
-Main Character card: Has to be exactly 1 cost, and is taken from your deck. This means in between matches (assuming best of 3) you are allowed to have different MC cards.
-Level Up and Class Change: For characters like Tiki, you can Level Up your existing Tiki by placing another one onto it, and you will need to pay the Deployment Cost. For characters like Chrom, when you place another Chrom onto it, you will need to pay the Class Change cost. The rules on the website did not state that you can't Class change back to a lower basic class, or switch between advanced classes.
-Skills: The Formation Skill (FS on the card) means you pay the cost by tapping other units.
Icons:
Blue: Auto: These skills activates automatically once the conditions are fulfilled
Green: Continuous: These skills are always active once the conditions are fulfilled and if this card is on the field
Red: Activated: These skills can be Activated during your Action Phase
Purple: Special: The skills that do not fall under the other categories come here, stuff like those that affects the graveyard
Yellow: Support: These skills activate when this card is revealed as the Support Card during battle

Another card down! Julian's translation is done. As the twitter post hinted, this card's skills are pretty technical, being all about controlling what unit's the opponent draws as well as allowing yourself to draw more cards. He's also pretty strong for a 2 cost character that has no real negatives. Athena is the only 2 cost unit so far with higher attack at 60, but she can't be played unless there are 5 or more cards in your discard pile. Sure one of his skills gives the opponent more bonds if you decide to use it, but if you use that skill right you could really cripple the opponent's strategy. One of the more interesting cards so far from a game mechanics standpoint.

Also I'd be down for trying Skype matches here or there when I've got the time, if those become a thing.

Julian%20Theif%20B01-027HN.jpg

Julian (Thief of the Altean Army) – Rarity: Uncommon / Series 1 Booster Card #027

Cost: 2

Affinities: Male / Sword

Quote: “Huh? I’m not a bad guy…anymore. Now, I’m a Paragon of Justice.”

Skill 1: “Locktouch” / α / [Tap this Card] Reveal the top card of your opponent’s deck. If that card’s placement cost is 3 or higher and you flip one bond, you may then draw a card from your deck.

Skill 2: “Snatch” / α / [Flip 1 Bond] Put the top card of your opponent’s deck into their bond area.

Attack Power: 50

Unpromoted

Class: Thief

Title: Thief of the Altean Army

Card ID: B01-027HN

Illustrator: Mio Itou

This sounds pretty interesting. Could be a pretty promising alternative if the game never comes out over here. I know something like that can be a pretty large endeavor, so I hope yall the best on working on it!

Also the effect for him should be

Skill 2: “Snatch” / α / [Flip 1 Bond] Put the top card of your opponent’s deck into their Retreat area.

Also the effect for him should be

Skill 2: “Snatch” / α / [Flip 1 Bond] Put the top card of your opponent’s deck into their Retreat area.[/size]

Whoops, thanks much for the catch. I must have been looking at that card too long. I'll fix that in the post and compendium.

Ight glad ppl are game for skype games,hopefully we can get this game to pick up a bit out here in the west.also curious does anyone know what the 5/4 marth does?

Marth – Cost: 5 / Promotion Cost: 4 / Rarity: Super Rare / Series 1 Booster Card #001

Affinities: Falchion / Male / Sword

Quote: "Falchion, lend me your strength! Give me the strength to banish Medeus to eternal darkness!”

Skill 1: "Victory Nears” / α / [Flip 3 Bonds, Discard 1 "Marth" card from your hand] Until the end of your opponent's next turn the attack of all your ally units is increased by 30.

Skill 2: "Falchion" / ∞ / When this unit attacks a unit with the dragon affinity, this unit's attack is increased by 20.

Attack Power: 70

Support Attack Power: 20

Promoted

Class: Lodestar

Title: Savior of Archanea

Name: Marth

Card ID: B01-001SR

Illustrator: (?)

Does that answer your question? And thank Aubergine for that, as an FYI.

So the 5/4 marth can actually stomp a deck based on Minerva. He can reach 120 attack power

I suppose the cost makes him balanced..?

Has anyone mentioned that Amiami has the FEif cards up for preorder? They do.

Yup, Kirie mentioned it on the last page, but there's nothing wrong with reminding people again.

Nanaka (or anyone else who may know), is there a limit to how many Units we can have out at once? Also, did the rules on the official site say anything about Flipping over cards in your Bond Area?

So the 5/4 marth can actually stomp a deck based on Minerva. He can reach 120 attack power

I suppose the cost makes him balanced..?

Actually, the way the card reads means that Marth does not get the +30 bonus from "Victory Nears" as it specifically states "ally units" which would be all your units excluding that Marth card specifically. So, the highest attack power Marth can reach under his own power is 90, but it is true that with a good support card he could reach 120 with a support attack power bonus.

Nanaka (or anyone else who may know), is there a limit to how many Units we can have out at once? Also, did the rules on the official site say anything about Flipping over cards in your Bond Area?

I unfortunately don't know the answer to either of those questions yet. I've skimmed through the new site update a couple times and I'm still slowly working on a complete translation of it, and I don't know if I've missed it or something, but I haven't seen anything specific on the battlefield unit limit nor re-flipping bonds.

Actually, the way the card reads means that Marth does not get the +30 bonus from "Victory Nears" as it specifically states "ally units" which would be all your units excluding that Marth card specifically. So, the highest attack power Marth can reach under his own power is 90, but it is true that with a good support card he could reach 120 with a support attack power bonus.

I unfortunately don't know the answer to either of those questions yet. I've skimmed through the new site update a couple times and I'm still slowly working on a complete translation of it, and I don't know if I've missed it or something, but I haven't seen anything specific on the battlefield unit limit nor re-flipping bonds.

Ooh, thanks for the clarification, I was wondering why the Marth card had said "ally units".

And thanks for the response, it's very surprising that some pretty simple, yet very important rules still elude us, lol. Like re-flipping bonds would totally change whether some of these cards are good or not.

Thanks again for your time!

Yup, Kirie mentioned it on the last page, but there's nothing wrong with reminding people again.

Nope, like what aubergine did, i also looked through specifically for these two, but can't find anything on it- Whether if there are specific ally 'slots' (like yugioh), since you can only attack the units in the same column (assuming the diagram explaining range is correct); and whether bond cards can be unflipped. There's also the problem of the 'colour requirement', whether a face-down bond card can be considered (i.e. you have a face down red bond card and its' your only one, can you still deploy red units)

Hi all, been lurking here for a long time and decided to join. I've been following Cipher a bit lately and it seems pretty interesting, although I think we are still missing some of the rules. Anyway since they updated the website last week I found out some stores near me are having free trials the next two weekends so I will go on either the 13th or 20th to try it out. There are also tournaments taking place the day of (!) and the weeks after the game's release in walking distance, so I will be checking those out. I'll try and give my most detailed impressions here. I can also help with translations but I'm not totally familiar with the terminology in English just yet. Anyway, I hope I can provide some interesting stuff for you guys soon. Until then..

Today's twitter update brought us a triple threat of new cards! I really like the flavor of these cards in their entirety. Bord and Cord are identical in all skills and both their quotes reference the fact that they hate being confused for the other. Barst also has a Formation Skill involving all of them gathered together for an ultimate attack.

Talysian Axe-wielder, Bord

B01-019N%20Bord.png

Bord (Talysian Axe-wielder) – Rarity: Common / Series 1 Booster Card #019

Cost: 1 / Promotion Cost: N/A

Affinities: Male / Axe

Quote: “I’m not Cord! I’m Bord!

Skill 1: “Fighter’s Instincts” / ∞ / During your turn, this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Skill 2: N/A

Support Skill: “Fighter’s Emblem” / Attack ♥ / Until the end of the attack phase, your attacking unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Attack Power: 30

Unpromoted

Class: Fighter

Title: Talysian Axe-wielder

Card ID: B01-019N

Illustrator: HACCAN

Talysian Axe-wielder, Cord

B01-020N%20Cord.png

Cord (Talysian Axe-wielder) – Rarity: Common / Series 1 Booster Card #020

Cost: 1 / Promotion Cost: N/A

Quote: “I’m not Bord! I’m Cord!

Skill 1: “Fighter’s Instincts” / ∞ / During your turn, this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Support Skill: “Fighter’s Emblem” / Attack ♥ / Until the end of the attack phase, your attacking unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Unpromoted

Title: Talysian Axe-wielder

Card ID: B01-020N

Courageous Talys Mercenary, Barst

B01-021HN%20Barst.png

Barst (Courageous Talys Mercenary) – Rarity: Uncommon / Series 1 Booster #021

Cost: 2 / Promotion Cost: N/A

Quote: “Bord! Cord! Let’s move!”

Skill 1: FS “Bord, Cord, and Barst” / & / [This can only be performed while Bord and Cord are in play and have not taken an action.] During this unit’s attack, if you pay the cost for all 3 units, then until the end of your attack phase this unit’s attack power increases by 50 and the orbs it destroys as a result of battle is now 2.

Skill 2: “Fighter’s Instincts” / ∞ / During your turn, this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Attack Power: 40

Unpromoted

Title: Courageous Talys Mercenary

Card ID: B01-021HN

Hi all, been lurking here for a long time and decided to join. I've been following Cipher a bit lately and it seems pretty interesting, although I think we are still missing some of the rules. Anyway since they updated the website last week I found out some stores near me are having free trials the next two weekends so I will go on either the 13th or 20th to try it out. There are also tournaments taking place the day of (!) and the weeks after the game's release in walking distance, so I will be checking those out. I'll try and give my most detailed impressions here. I can also help with translations but I'm not totally familiar with the terminology in English just yet. Anyway, I hope I can provide some interesting stuff for you guys soon. Until then..

Awesome, great to have more people joining in! Try and score some promo cards for yourself at the Cipher trials.

Edited by aubergine

Oh, that is SO cool! You should get an interesting card just for showing up!

Also. . .the three Talys axe guys look like they're low-cost beatdown! I feel like the Archanea cards are combo-heavy (so far, I see these guys, the pegasus trio, and Abel/Cain).

Oh, that is SO cool! You should get an interesting card just for showing up!Also. . .the three Talys axe guys look like they're low-cost beatdown! I feel like the Archanea cards are combo-heavy (so far, I see these guys, the pegasus trio, and Abel/Cain).

Don't forget Caeda and Tiki, as well. They may not require specific cards, but neither of them are the kinds of cards that are good by themselves. They make for fantastic engines, but serve little purpose otherwise (though honorable mention does go to Tiki for her 90 defense when you have 8 bonds). Marth is in a similar boat, but as long as you have a large field, it doesn't matter with him. I think I like Shadow Dragon card more than Awakening cards, but, oddly enough, I feel like they haven't really shown much of Awakening. I mean, where are the Robin or Morgan cards? Not to mention most of the children.

Oh, that is SO cool! You should get an interesting card just for showing up!

Also. . .the three Talys axe guys look like they're low-cost beatdown! I feel like the Archanea cards are combo-heavy (so far, I see these guys, the pegasus trio, and Abel/Cain).

Yeah, I feel like the Shadow Dragon units definitely have a greater sense of camaraderie to them than the Awakening cards, which to me gives them a more Fire Emblem feel. The series puts focus on the tightly knit bonds that necessarily develop from a sort of rag-tag band of troups fighting for a cause. The awakening cards so far feel very scattered for the most part, which is weird to me. It'll be interesting to see which side gets more usage in play. Those combo attacks sounds really intense, but it might be offset by how difficult it might be to get all necessary units in play at the same time.

Don't forget Caeda and Tiki, as well. They may not require specific cards, but neither of them are the kinds of cards that are good by themselves. They make for fantastic engines, but serve little purpose otherwise (though honorable mention does go to Tiki for her 90 defense when you have 8 bonds). Marth is in a similar boat, but as long as you have a large field, it doesn't matter with him. I think I like Shadow Dragon card more than Awakening cards, but, oddly enough, I feel like they haven't really shown much of Awakening. I mean, where are the Robin or Morgan cards? Not to mention most of the children.

There were lots of cards shown at the livestream initial announcement event to the press, but we haven't gotten really good pictures of them yet, nor have they been more officially announced to the public. There are two Robin cards (Tactitian and Grand Master) that I know of so far, no Morgan cards as of yet. I have seen cards for

Awakening: Pegasus Knight Sumia, Sniper Virion, Sully (Cavalier and Paladin), Stahl (Cavalier and Paladin), Myrmidon Owain, Mage Ricken, Lon'qu (Myrmidon and Swordmaster), War Cleric Lissa, Knight Kellam, Mercenary Inigo, Great Knight Frederick, Wyvern Rider Cherche

Shadow Dragon: Ogma (Mercenary and Hero), Navarre (Myrmidon and Swordmaster[Different from other Navarre card]), Merric (Mage and Sage), Paladin Jagen, Sniper Gordin, Knight Draug, Cain (Cavalier and Paladin), Caeda (Pegasus Knight[Different from other Caeda card] and Dracoknight), Cavalier Abel

If you want the pictures of those other units, check the "Unclassified" section of the Cipher Companion Guide thing in my sig or at this link

Also, I finished work on the new Tharja card from today's twitter post. Her skills are all about manipulating both yours and the your opponent's hands.

B01-082HN%20Tharja.jpg

Tharja (Practitioner of the Dark Arts) – Rarity: Uncommon / Series 1 Booster Card #082

Cost: 1

Symbol: Awakening

Affinities: Female / Tome

Quote: “...You would trust me? ...You’ve never met me...”

Skill 1: “Hex” / ∞ / If you have more cards in your hand than your opponent, then during your turn this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Support Skill: “Dark Mage Emblem” / Attack ♥ / If your opponent has 5 or more cards in their hand, then your opponent must choose one card from their hand and discard it.

Support Attack Power: 20

Range: 1-2

Unpromoted

Class: Dark Mage

Title: Practitioner of the Dark Arts

Card ID: B01-082HN

Illustrator: Terumii

Edited by aubergine

https://twitter.com/FEcipher/status/608448466344390656?s=06

New card, but it's only from the FE:if 3ds game special pack (I missed the preorder for it and it's all sold out ;A;)

Marth

Effect:

Young Hero(tap another ally). Move one enemy unit to another slot. This effect cannot be used if this unit is not in the front row.

Support skill- Hero Emblem: if the attacking unit is a (SD) unit, it destroys 2 orbs instead of 1.

https://twitter.com/FEcipher/status/608447992094404611?s=06

Lucina

Special skill - Name of the Hero King: This unit's name is also treated as Marth

Cont skill - Parallel Falchion: +20 against Dragon

Support skill- Hero Emblem: if the attacking unit is a (Awakening) unit, it destroys 2 orbs instead of 1.

(Sorry in too excited so I did this on phone, feel free to copy and effect and fix it)

Edited by Nanaka

Yeah, I feel like the Shadow Dragon units definitely have a greater sense of camaraderie to them than the Awakening cards, which to me gives them a more Fire Emblem feel. The series puts focus on the tightly knit bonds that necessarily develop from a sort of rag-tag band of troups fighting for a cause. The awakening cards so far feel very scattered for the most part, which is weird to me. It'll be interesting to see which side gets more usage in play. Those combo attacks sounds really intense, but it might be offset by how difficult it might be to get all necessary units in play at the same time.

Bord/Cord/Barst doesn't look too hard to pull off - assuming you can keep all three alive, that is! I think the pegasus trio would be the hardest, followed by Abel/Cain (only because the latter requires at least one promoted. . .dunno if both need to be promoted). The Ylisse side seems more. . .general. It feels like it was made to be splashable, while Archanea is meant to have their own little groups.

Anyway, thanks for the Marth card! Man, Daisuke Izuka's art is sexy!

https://twitter.com/FEcipher/status/608448466344390656?s=06

New card, but it's only from the FE:if 3ds game special pack (I missed the preorder for it and it's all sold out ;A;)

Marth

Effect:

Young Hero(tap another ally). Move one enemy unit to another slot. This effect cannot be used if this unit is not in the front row.

Support skill- Hero Emblem: if the attacking unit is a (SD) unit, it destroys 2 orbs instead of 1.

https://twitter.com/FEcipher/status/608447992094404611?s=06

Lucina

Special skill - Name of the Hero King: This unit's name is also treated as Marth

Cont skill - Parallel Falchion: +20 against Dragon

Support skill- Hero Emblem: if the attacking unit is a (Awakening) unit, it destroys 2 orbs instead of 1.

(Sorry in too excited so I did this on phone, feel free to copy and effect and fix it)

Marth's first skill requires Marth himself to be tapped, not the ally. The whole restriction part reads: [Tap this card, only usable after one ally has moved Tap one ally unit]

It's interesting, both these and all previous Promo cards (except for the Promo Chrom card) so far are just "alternate costumes" if you will of more widely available unit cards. Compare the two Lucina's below, even the Unit Title is the same. The only different part is the quote. Same for the Marth.

CHGkOV0W8AAEoEQ.jpgCF500vRUEAEzvbt.jpg

Edited by aubergine

Bord/Cord/Barst doesn't look too hard to pull off - assuming you can keep all three alive, that is! I think the pegasus trio would be the hardest, followed by Abel/Cain (only because the latter requires at least one promoted. . .dunno if both need to be promoted). The Ylisse side seems more. . .general. It feels like it was made to be splashable, while Archanea is meant to have their own little groups.Anyway, thanks for the Marth card! Man, Daisuke Izuka's art is sexy!

Slightly off topic, but Izuka really is great at doing card arts. The new Genesis stride (which is getting sleeves!) is his handiwork. He does a few artworks in Buddyfight, as well, and they are equally sexy lol.