Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

2) Yes, the card will say “Unpromoted” or “Promoted” on it. If the cost is 4/3, you can promote the character by putting the Promoted unit on top of the unit and paying the 3 cost. You also draw a card as a bonus for promoting units. If you don’t have the unpromoted unit, you pay the 4 cost. I think once a unit is upgraded you can't play another promoted unit on top of it (e.g. to change the ability), but I'm not sure. It doesn't say on the website, but I think the idea is that once a character is promoted you can't stack more on it.

When I was reading the rules back when I started this topic it seemed like you could play a promoted card on top of a different promoted card by paying the promotion cost and it would be called "class change" and work the same as promotion.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In between the E3 conferences today I was able to get the Gregor card translated. His skill makes this quite a useful card, and I wonder if there will be a Hero Gregor card.

B01-077N%20Gregor.jpg

Gregor (Fearless Mercenary) – Rarity: Common / Series 1 Booster Card #077

Cost: 2

Insignia: Awakening

Affinities: Male / Sword

Quote: “Oy, you break Gregor's heart! Why you treat like villain?”

Skill 1: “Gregor and the Young Manakete” / ∞ / When this unit is destroyed as a result of an opponent’s attack, instead of the discard pile place him in your Bond Area.

Skill 2: N/A

Support Skill: N/A

Attack Power: 40

Support Attack Power: 10

Range: 1

Unpromoted

Class: Mercenary

Title: Fearless Mercenary

Card ID: B01-77N

Illustrator: Mikihiro Taguchi

The new Nono card just released is quite a strong beatstick but at the cost of 1 bond card a turn....

Effect: +30 when there is 6 or more cards in the Bond Area

Choose 1 card in your bond area and return it to your hand at the end of your Tur.

. . .and I see the first "combo" for Ylisse. It's not Talys-tier, but it forces the opponent to either leave Gregor alone and give a promoted Chrom more power, or to kill him and help them ramp bonds.

EDIT:

The new Nono card just released is quite a strong beatstick but at the cost of 1 bond card a turn....

Choose 1 card in your bond area and return it to your hand at the end of your Tur.

Does it have to be a face-up bond?

Edited by eclipse

No way that Nowi wasn't going to get a card, that'd be a big no-no. Here's the freshly announced Nowi card's full translation.

B01-078R%20Nowi.jpg

Nowi (Wellspring of Youth) – Rarity: Rare / Series 1 Booster Card #078

Cost: 3

Insignia: Awakening

Affinities: Female / Stone / Dragon

Quote: “I trust everyone to do their jobs, and me? I do my best in battle!”

Skill 1: “Young Manakete” / & / At the end of your turn, add one card from your Bond Area to your hand.

Skill 2: “Ancient Dragon Tribe” / ∞ / When there are 6 or more cards in your bond area, this unit’s attack is increased by 30.

Support Skill: N/A

Attack Power: 50

Support Attack Power: 20

Range: 1-2

Non-promotable

Class: Manakete

Title: Wellspring of Youth

Card ID: B01-078R

Illustrator: Pisuke

I think you aren't required to move the bond at the end of the turn. The verb uses the potential tense indicating it's up to the player if they want to or not. Never mind, it isn't the potential form of the verb, so it is a forced thing. However, this isn't as bad as we might think. This skill might let you return flipped bonds to your hand which would help get rid of used bonds and refresh your bond area.

. . .and I see the first "combo" for Ylisse. It's not Talys-tier, but it forces the opponent to either leave Gregor alone and give a promoted Chrom more power, or to kill him and help them ramp bonds.

EDIT:

Does it have to be a face-up bond?

It hasn't been clarified, but if you take the Japanese on these skills literally then I would take it to mean all cards in the Bond Area, whether face up or face down. Not entirely sure about the official rule on that though.

Edited by aubergine

Yes I would think that it will be any bond card, face up or down. Or else it would have been specified. At least her effect will ensure you will have one card to place into bond the next turn and be flipped for cost, or a tactical use for GSE (god speed evasion)

Yes I would think that it will be any bond card, face up or down. Or else it would have been specified. At least her effect will ensure you will have one card to place into bond the next turn and be flipped for cost, or a tactical use for GSE (god speed evasion)

Though it's indirect. . .Nowi unflips bonds. This is amazing. I'm definitely leaning towards mixed-color now!

(if Archanea gets something similar, though, all bets are off)

Reposting this since I might get an answer in this thread. What exactly is the differences between the products you can order on sites like AmiAmi and the like? How many cards come in each exactly? Like one is labelled as just the Marth series and one is just the Chrom series, both at around 60 bucks and it's called a 6 pack box. While there's also a mix set of Marth/Lucina that's only about 40 bucks and is called a 16 pack box. Anyone care to explain?

For Series 1: This is the Booster Box. It comes with 16 packs of randomly selected cards from the first set, the Awakening/Archanea set. There are also "starter decks" that come with pre-selected cards. This is the Archanea/Marth deck, and this is the Awakening/Chrom deck. if you hunt a few pages back in this thread, you can see a list of which cards come with which decks. The "6 pack boxes" that you mentioned are basically cases of 6 starter decks, so you'd be getting 6 total sets of the Marth of Chrom decks respectively.

This pattern is repeated in Series 2. This is the booster box, this is the Nohr starter deck, and this is the Hoshido starter deck, though we don't yet know which cards will be in these starter decks. They also have the same 6-deck boxes for those starter decks.

Starter decks are nice if you're planning on playing since it gives you a full, playable deck to start off with. They're also nice for collectors because there are some cards that are only available in the starter decks. The booster box is where you'll find most of the cards in the set, though. You can use those cards to augment your deck or even build a new one, or try and complete the full set or whatever cards you'd like if you're planning on just collecting.

Edited by Kirie

For Series 1: This is the Booster Box. It comes with 16 packs of randomly selected cards from the first set, the Awakening/Archanea set. There are also "starter decks" that come with pre-selected cards. This is the Archanea/Marth deck, and this is the Awakening/Chrom deck. if you hunt a few pages back in this thread, you can see a list of which cards come with which decks. The "6 pack boxes" that you mentioned are basically cases of 6 starter decks, so you'd be getting 6 total sets of the Marth of Chrom decks respectively.

This pattern is repeated in Series 2. This is the booster box, this is the Nohr starter deck, and this is the Hoshido starter deck, though we don't yet know which cards will be in these starter decks. They also have the same 6-deck boxes for those starter decks.

Starter decks are nice if you're planning on playing since it gives you a full, playable deck to start off with. They're also nice for collectors because there are some cards that are only available in the starter decks. The booster box is where you'll find most of the cards in the set, though. You can use those cards to augment your deck or even build a new one, or try and complete the full set or whatever cards you'd like if you're planning on just collecting.

So basically with the starter deck boxes you're getting either 300 Chrom/Ylisse cards or 300 Marth/Akaneia cards(6 decks of 50 cards each), and the mixed pack is 160 cards of both. That's good to know, thanks. I'll have to check which ones come exclusive too. I just wish they would have those promo ones available too. I want that Bento Tharja card.

Bento Tharja (and other promos) - GOOD LUCK.

You don't need to buy six starter decks! One should normally suffice. If you're bent on getting the maximum number of playable "special" units in the starter deck, then you'll need four.

There's also stuff like rarities to take into account. . .so depending on what you want, you may need to wait for singles to go on sale (or do some box-diving).

Bento Tharja (and other promos) - GOOD LUCK.

You don't need to buy six starter decks! One should normally suffice. If you're bent on getting the maximum number of playable "special" units in the starter deck, then you'll need four.

There's also stuff like rarities to take into account. . .so depending on what you want, you may need to wait for singles to go on sale (or do some box-diving).

I was actually looking on tumblr just now and found this post http://greenclosed.tumblr.com/post/121545374588/characters-that-will-be-included-in-tcg-fire

Maybe I should do some research on this. It appears those starter deck boxes only containt pre-selected characters. What I really want to get is the Tharja cards, so I'll probably have a better chance of getting those with the booster packs. This is confusing me.

I was actually looking on tumblr just now and found this post http://greenclosed.tumblr.com/post/121545374588/characters-that-will-be-included-in-tcg-fire

Maybe I should do some research on this. It appears those starter deck boxes only containt pre-selected characters. What I really want to get is the Tharja cards, so I'll probably have a better chance of getting those with the booster packs. This is confusing me.

Well, according to that, there are no Tharja cards in the starter deck. If you just wanna collect them, then just get boosters (assuming buying singles isn't an option), but if you wanna play with them, then I recommend at least getting a starter deck, in addition to the boosters.

And Nowi looks like a great way to indirectly unflip bonds while doing a bit of toolboxing. Of course, this comes at the cost of staying at the same number of bonds for as long as she is out, but by late game, I don't see that being an issue. And speaking of late game, her second effect works well with that too lol. And you know what would be cool? A reliable way to pair up the cost 5 Tiki with Nowi. That combo looks to be deadly. Any reports on how multicolor works yet?

Yes, all of the starter deck cards are the same, which is what I meant by "pre-selected cards". Each deck has the exact same cards in it (the ones listed in the above tumblr post), so if you buy a case of 6 decks, you get 6 sets of all of those same ones. It's effectively the same thing as the Pokémon theme decks and other similar products.

If all you want is the Tharja cards, you might be better off waiting and buying single cards from Ebay or Y!J. People here might also be willing to sell/trade (there's been some discussion about having a thread for trading and the like).

The only product that AmiAmi sells that could contain Tharja cards would be the booster box.

4) As long as the character name says Chrom, any Chrom card can be used for Crit/Evasion.

The card's name was the Name + the title, wasn't it?

If so i don't think you can use any different Chrom for Crit/Evasion

(I also don't remember exactly if the name really was name + title)

The card's name was the Name + the title, wasn't it?

If so i don't think you can use any different Chrom for Crit/Evasion

(I also don't remember exactly if the name really was name + title)

battle_img03.jpgbattle_img04.jpg

Sorry if my wording wasn't clear. As long as Unit (Character) Name is the same, it's usable for Crit/Evade. Doesn't need to be the exact same Card Name as you can see in the images from the website.

カード名 Card Name = 称号 Title + ユニット名 Unit Name

Now I'm trying to see how a deck of 50 of the same Unit wouldn't be a viable option? For example 50 Marth cards, you could Crit/Dodge everything. You wouldn't be able to use the ability that moves the character, but still wouldn't having tons of the same unit be exploitative?

Well, according to that, there are no Tharja cards in the starter deck. If you just wanna collect them, then just get boosters (assuming buying singles isn't an option), but if you wanna play with them, then I recommend at least getting a starter deck, in addition to the boosters.

And Nowi looks like a great way to indirectly unflip bonds while doing a bit of toolboxing. Of course, this comes at the cost of staying at the same number of bonds for as long as she is out, but by late game, I don't see that being an issue. And speaking of late game, her second effect works well with that too lol. And you know what would be cool? A reliable way to pair up the cost 5 Tiki with Nowi. That combo looks to be deadly. Any reports on how multicolor works yet?

You don't need to use the "return bond to hand" ability every turn, so you could increase the amount of bonds out by not using it. And yeah, I was wondering when characters with this kind of ability would show up.

Multicolor decks just mean that you need have at least 1 face-up bond with the same symbol (color) in order to put out those characters. So you can have 1 Blue and 3 Red to put out a 4 cost Marth.

Edited by audiotronica

battle_img03.jpgbattle_img04.jpg

Sorry if my wording wasn't clear. As long as Unit (Character) Name is the same, it's usable for Crit/Evade. Doesn't need to be the exact same Card Name as you can see in the images from the website.

カード名 Card Name = 称号 Title + ユニット名 Unit Name

Now I'm trying to see how a deck of 50 of the same Unit wouldn't be a viable option? For example 50 Marth cards, you could Crit/Dodge everything. You wouldn't be able to use the ability that moves the character, but still wouldn't having tons of the same unit be exploitative?

You don't need to use the "return bond to hand" ability every turn, so you could increase the amount of bonds out by not using it. And yeah, I was wondering when characters with this kind of ability would show up.

Multicolor decks just mean that you need have at least 1 face-up bond with the same symbol (color) in order to put out those characters. So you can have 1 Blue and 3 Red to put out a 4 cost Marth.

Oh, so WS rules for colors? That makes multicolor really easy, but I don't see many decks going for more than three colors. And of course, certain cards only work with certain colors (like cost 1 Tiki and cost 1 Lucina). Nowi's effect not being mandatory makes her a LOT better! I see a manakete deck happening!

Just a thing I was wondering; is it just my memory serving me poorly, or was it announced recently that we can go over 50 cards per deck?

Made a tentative deck list for Awakening already, and ended up at 53 cards initially (although still cut down to 50), but just wondering for the future.

Here's the translation for the Caeda card that just got posted on Twitter. Her skill seems pretty high cost for only a 10pt attack increase, but maybe it'll will come in handy in a pinch.

B01-006HN%20Caeda.jpg

Caeda (Princess of Talys) – Rarity: Uncommon / Series 1 Booster Card #006

Cost: 1

Insignia: Shadow Dragon

Affinities: Female / Lance / Flying / Mount

Quote: “Marth! I’m glad I found you."

Skill 1: “Royal Charisma” / α / [Tap this unit, Tap 1 ally unit] Choose one ally unit. Until the end of this turn, that unit’s attack is increased by 10.

Skill 2: N/A

Support Skill: “Flyer’s Emblem” / Attack ♥ / You may choose one ally that is not an attacking unit and move it.

Attack Power: 30

Support Attack Power: 30

Range: 1

Unpromoted

Class: Pegasus Knight

Title: Princess of Talys

Card ID: B01-006HN

Illustrator: Douji Shiki

Edited by aubergine

Here's the translation for the Caeda card that just got posted on Twitter. Her skill seems pretty high cost for only a 10pt attack increase, but maybe it'll will come in handy in a pinch.

Thanks as always for the translation (although I don't need it personally :) )

The ability doesn't say 1 time only, so you can use this ability as long as you have enough characters out, in which it can be very useful. In the time I played, often the battle will come down to a 10pt difference from a tie (winning) and losing, so it can be a big deal. If the battle is 70 v 70 and you tap 3 chars for this ability, you can negate a 30pt support bonus for a tie and have a much better chance of winning. Good stuff. Misread the card so scratch that. This can work if Caeda is untappable. Thanks Nanaka.

Has there been a higher support bonus than 30 yet?

Edited by audiotronica

^while its true it doesn't say one time only, you need to tap Ceada herself to activate the ability. Unless you have another card effect that untaps her, don't think you can use it more than once so easily.

@Differentfight : it's stated in the rules that u can have 50 and above cards in your deck.

^while its true it doesn't say one time only, you need to tap Ceada herself to activate the ability. Unless you have another card effect that untaps her, don't think you can use it more than once so easily.

@Differentfight : it's stated in the rules that u can have 50 and above cards in your deck.

Whoops, I misread by glancing at the card, didn't see you need to tap Caeda. You are right.

Do you know where it says you can have over 50? I was looking for it on the site and couldn't find it..

Also local news but they updated the tournament schedule for July and there will be tournaments near me every Thursday and Sunday next month! The promo pack is the same for July as well, so more opportunities for those cards. Due to some scheduling stuff I don't think I will make the tourneys this month but Thursdays in July after work sound good..

Imo the Nono ability of returning bond card to your hand is mandatory. The card effect doesn't have "よい"