Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

Thanks for the translations as always! That Lucina image is definitively not the right one though :)

Thanks for the catch! My browsers cache was showing the Lucina card in the place of that Maria card that must have been showing up for everyone else. Should be fixed now. I think from now on I'll just stick to linking my own uploads, hahah.

I'm not all too familiar with TCGs, what exactly is the key to the SR, R, HN, and N? Is it just rarity levels? So many of those SRs look so good.

Yes, they are rarity levels. The rarities essentially can be read as:

SR = Super Rare

R = Rare

HN = Uncommon

N = Common

ST = Starter Deck

PR = Promotional

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The two Owain cards shown off on Twitter earlier are now translated. These cards are some of the most well written in Cipher in my opinion, lots of references that capture the essence of Owain's character. Swordmaster Owain is particularly terrifying with his devastating attack and the skills that increase his destructive power even further. Also complete is the request for the Cost 2 Lucina that can be found in the Awakening Starter Deck. Haven't found a good picture for her yet.

As always, please don't hesitate to let me know if anything needs to be edited/changed. I really do appreciate it!

[spoiler=Chosen Warrior Owain]B01-091SR%20Owain.jpg

Rarity: Super Rare / Series 1 Booster Card #091

Cost: 4 / Promotion Cost: 3

Insignia: Awakening

Affinities: Male / Sword

Quote: “Damn, this isn’t Mystletainn…I can’t land the killing blow without it!”

Skill 1: “Blessed Demon Sword” / α / [Discard one “Owain” card from your hand] Until the end of this turn, this unit’s attack is doubled.

Skill 2: CCS “Apocryphal Brand Mystletainn” / ∞ / As long as this unit does not use a critical attack, the orbs it destroys as a result of battle is 2. (CCS: If this unit was placed without the promotion unit cost, this skill is inactive)

Support Skill: N/A

Attack Power: 70

Support Attack Power: 10

Range: 1

Promoted

Class: Swordmaster

Title: Chosen Warrior

Card ID: B01-093HN

Illustrator: Rika Suzuki

[spoiler=Judicious Swordsman Owain]B01-093HN%20Owain.jpg

Rarity: Uncommon / Series 1 Booster Card #093

Cost: 1 / Promotion Cost: N/A

Quote: “Ah, Mystletainn! I could feel it beckoning me!”

Skill 1: “Apocryphal Brand? Missiletainn” / α / [Flip 1 Bond] Until the end of this turn this unit’s attack is decreased by 10 and the orbs it destroys as a result of battle is now 2.

Skill 2: N/A

Support Skill: “Fighter’s Emblem” / Attack ♥ / Until the end of the attack phase, your attacking unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Attack Power: 40

Unpromoted

Class: Myrmidon

Title: Judicious Swordsman

Card ID: B01-093HN

Illustrator: Rika Suzuki

[spoiler=Sacred Descendent Lucina]B01-055N%20Lucina.png.jpeg

Rarity: Common / Series 1 Booster Card #055

Cost: 2 / Promotion Cost: N/A

Affinities: Female / Sword

Quote: “No longer am I alone. Surely darkness cannot overcome us this time…”

Skill 1: “Royal Bloodline” / α / [Once per turn] [Flip 1 Bond] Until the end of this turn, this unit and all ally Chrom unit’s attack is increased by 10. This skill cannot be used if there are no ally Chrom units on the battlefield.

Attack Power: 50

Support Attack Power: 20

Unpromoted

Class: Lord

Title: Royal Descendent

Card ID: B01-055N

Illustrator: Maiponpon / Intelligent Systems

I completely agree about emphasizing user-friendliness. You've given me a lot to think about in terms of how to best handle the translation for Cipher. I definitely need to go back through and overhaul the system at some point.

I think each of the correlative words you have for those Kanji work well, except "起 = activate" (that and I'm pretty sure you meant 支 instead of 攻 for "support"). Indeed, 起 has been the most difficult Kanji to find a succinct idea-translation for. I don't think 'activate' conveys quite enough context, since these skills must be declared and paid for only during the "movement phase". It's close and perhaps is the best fit coming from other TCG nomenclature; I just wish there was also a way to convey that these skills must be done before the attack phase. I feel like "起 = Action" would work better, since it would give these skills a separate distinction from movement and attacking, and would retain the ACT abbreviation. If I were to go with this term, I'd have to revise many of the skills that refer to tapping as "taking an action" in order to avoid confusion. It might work better on the whole and benefit the translation project in the long run though!

Ah, many thanks for that spot. I definitely goofed up on the translation for that card. I'll have to fix that!

I also noticed the "Reverse" terminology. It's definitely something that is agreed upon among the already installed Cipher fanbase in Japan. I'm not sure how a true localization team would handle it, but it seemed like most people here were more familiar with the 'Flip' terminology and it conveys the idea well enough.

As audiotronica noted, Gaius should be able to use Assassinate on a Lord card due to the "destroyed as a result of battle" terminology.

Regarding the Owain 2nd effect, i think it should be "This unit cannot use Critical Attacks, and the orbs it destroys as a result of battle is 2". The use of "できず" simply means "Unable to", and not "As long as", which would have been "さえ"

(Not gameplay related: The title for the promoted Owain should be "Chosen Warrior of Hope" ? Unless the english localization is different then i'll leave it in your good hands. Same goes for the title of the other Owain, the title reads as Sealed Power .Also Lucina's title would be Sacred Descendent as you put as the spoiler title. )

Also, I think the phase where your movement units and activating of skills can be called Action Phase instead of Movement phase, since you're not only moving units? but yeah 起=Action seems fine to me too.

EDIT: Regarding the promoted Owain, do you guys think he can be boosted to 4x his original attack power if he wasn't class changed? Because CCS skill is only active when you Class Changed it.

Edited by Nanaka

Since that site with amazingly hi-res pictures of all the Series 1 cards was linked I've been working on trying to translate all of the remaining cards that need to be done. I'm working on updating the image companion guide google spreadsheet, but in the meantime I changed the link in my sig to the photobucket album I created to house them all for now.
I was able to complete work on the Starter Deck exclusive cards, some of which I had already done before. I'll repost those alongside the new ones just for posterity and convenience. For reference, I believe all of the new ones are: Jagen, Ogma, Navarre, Kellam, and Ricken.
Also appearing alongside these is the Promo Marth card image that was found on that site.

[spoiler=Lodestar, Marth]S01-001ST%20Marth.jpg

Rarity: Starter Deck / Series 1 Starter Deck 1 Card #001

Insignia: Shadow Dragon

Quote: "Through the power of the of the Fire Emblem, I promise that I will destroy the Dohlr Empire”
Skill 1: "Hero of Light" / & / [Once per Turn] After playing an ally unit with a cost of 2 or less, you may choose one of your opponent’s Rear Guard units and move it.
Skill 2: “Falchion” / § / When this unit attacks a Dragon affinity unit this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Promoted
Class: Lodestar
Title: Lodestar

Card ID: S01-001ST

Illustrator: Yusuke Kozaki

[spoiler=Aerial Combat Princess, Caeda]S01-002ST%20Caeda.png.jpeg

Rarity: Starter Deck / Series 1 Starter Deck 1 Card #002

Cost: 3 / Promotion Cost: 2

Affinities: Female / Lance / Flying / Mount

Quote: “This war…doesn’t it break your heart? I wish it would just end.”

Skill 1: “Wings of the Wyvern” / & / Each time you play a cost 2 or less unit, you may move one or your units.

Skill 2: “Javelin” / α / [Flip 1 Bond] Until the end of this turn, this unit now has a range of 1-2.

Attack Power: 50

Support Attack Power: 30

Promoted

Class: Falcoknight

Title: Aerial Combat Princess

Card ID: S01-002ST

Illustrator: Douji Shiki

[spoiler=Loyal Retainer, Jagen]S01-003ST%20Jagen.png.jpeg

Rarity: Starter Deck / Series 1 Starter Deck 1 Card #003

Affinities: Male / Lance / Mount

Quote: “Your well-being, prince, is paramount.”

Skill 1: “Battle-worn Veteran” / § / This card cannot be placed in the Bond Area.

Promoted

Class: Paladin

Title: Loyal Retainer

Card ID: S01-003ST

Illustrator: King Gonta

[spoiler=Steel Swordsman, Ogma]S01-004ST%20Ogma.png.jpeg

Rarity: Starter Deck / Series 1 Starter Deck 1 Card #004

Quote: “I've been thinking we should settle this sometime…just me and you.”

Skill 1: “Talysian Guard Captain” / & / Each time you deploy a unit of cost 2 or less, until the end of the turn this unit and that ally’s attack are increased by 10.

Skill 2: “Levin Sword” / α / [Flip 1 Bond] Until the end of this turn this unit’s attack is decreased by 10, but is now treated as a Tome with a range of 1-2.

Attack Power: 60

Promoted

Class: Hero

Title: Steel Swordsman

Card ID: S01-004ST

Illustrator: Sachi Fujikawa

[spoiler=Wielder of a Killing Edge, Navarre]S01-005ST%20Navarre.png.jpeg

Rarity Starter Deck / Series 1 Starter Deck 1 Card #005

Quote: It can’t be helped…you die here.

Skill 1: “Killing Edge” / α / [Flip 3 Bonds] Until the end of this turn this unit’s attacks cannot be avoided.

Skill 2: “Solo Swordsman” / ∞ / If Navarre and the Main Character are the only units on your battlefield, then this unit’s attack is increased by 10.

Promoted

Class: Swordmaster

Title: Wielder of a Killing Edge

Card ID: S01-005ST

Illustrator: Yuma

[spoiler=Protector of Ylisse, Chrom]S02-001ST%20Chrom.jpg

Rarity: Starter Deck / Series 1 Starter Deck 2 Card #001

Quote: “Everyone…thank you. I will fight!”

Skill 1: “Shepherds” / & / [Once per Turn] After an ally unit class changes, until the end of this turn that unit’s attack is increased by 20 and the orbs that it destroys as a result of combat is now 2.

Skill 2: “(Sealed) Falchion” / ∞ / When this unit attacks a Dragon affinity unit this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Promoted

Class: Great Lord

Title: Protector of Ylisse

Card ID: S02-001ST

Illustrator: Yusuke Kozaki

[spoiler=Forgotten Knight, Kellam]S02-002ST%20Kellam.png.jpeg

Rarity: Starter Deck / Series 1 Starter Deck 2 Card #002

Affinities: Male / Lance / Armor

Quote: “I've been here the whole time. H-hey, don't forget me, I'm one of the Shepherds too…”

Skill 1: “Armored Adept” / ∞ / Except against Tome affinity units, when this attacking this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Support Skill: Defender’s Emblem / Defense ♥ / Until the end of this attack phase, units on defense have their attack power increased by 20.

Attack Power: 30

Unpromoted

Class: Knight

Title: Forgotten Knight

Card ID: S02-002ST

Illustrator: Eel

[spoiler=Podunk Hero, Vaike]S02-003ST%20Vaike.jpg

Rarity: Starter Deck / Series 1 Starter Deck 2 Card #003

Affinities: Male / Axe

Quote: “The Vaike can handle anything!”

Skill 1: “Teach’s Tenure” / ∞ / During your turn, this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Support Skill: “Fighter’s Emblem” / Attack ♥ / Until the end of the attack phase, your attacking unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Unpromoted

Class: Fighter

Title: Podunk Hero

Card ID: S02-003ST

Illustrator: Sawaki Takeyasu

[spoiler=Intellectual Inquirer, Miriel]S02-004ST%20Miriel.jpg

Rarity: Starter Deck / Series 1 Starter Deck 2 Card #004

Affinities: Female / Tome

Quote: “…Most intriguing.”

Skill 1: “Mage’s Research” / α / [Tap this card, Discard 1 card from your hand] Draw 1 card.

Support Skill: “Mage’s Emblem” / ♥ / Draw one card. Then, choose one card from your hand and place it in the discard pile.

Range: 1-2

Unpromoted

Class: Mage

Title: Intellectual Inquirer

Card ID: S02-004ST

Illustrator: Saori Toyota

[spoiler=Childish Mage, Ricken]S02-005ST%20Ricken.png.jpeg

Rarity: Starter Deck / Series 1 Starter Deck 2 Card #005

Affinities: Male / Tome

Quote: “Captain, I'm coming along too!”

Skill 1: “Elwind” / Until the end of this turn, this unit gains a special attack bonus against Flying affinity units. (Bonus: [Treat as ∞] When attacking a Flying affinity unit, this unit's attack is increased by 30.)

Support Skill: Magic Emblem / Attack ♥ / Draw one card. Then, choose one card from your hand and place it in the discard pile.

Range: 1-2

Unpromoted

Class: Mage

Title: Childish Mage

Card ID: S02-005ST

Illustrator: Marue

[spoiler=Stoic Prince, Marth]P01-013PR%20Marth.png

Rarity: Promotional / Series 1 Promo Card #013

Quote: “It’s alright Caeda. Within these walls are Altea's finest knights.”

Skill 1: “Emboldened Prince” /

Skill 2: “Rapier” /

Promoted

Class: Lodestar

Title: Stoic Prince

Card ID: P01-013PR

Illustrator: Sachiko Wada

Regarding the Owain 2nd effect, i think it should be "This unit cannot use Critical Attacks, and the orbs it destroys as a result of battle is 2". The use of "できず" simply means "Unable to", and not "As long as", which would have been "さえ"

(Not gameplay related: The title for the promoted Owain should be "Chosen Warrior of Hope" ? Unless the english localization is different then i'll leave it in your good hands. Same goes for the title of the other Owain, the title reads as Sealed Power .Also Lucina's title would be Sacred Descendent as you put as the spoiler title. )

Also, I think the phase where your movement units and activating of skills can be called Action Phase instead of Movement phase, since you're not only moving units? but yeah 起=Action seems fine to me too.

Localization criticisms are very welcome, I appreciate your thoughts! Since I am trying to localize this, I have had to make some translation decisions that should rightly be questioned. ^^

-I chose "as long as this unit does not use a critical attack" instead of "cannot use a critical attack" in order to help conserve flow in the entire sentence for that skill's description. To me "できず” means something like "without using a critical attack" which would mean the skill could be literally translated as "Without using a critical hit, orbs destroyed by this unit's attacks is 2." It isn't that this card cannot perform critical attacks, it's just that if you want to be able to destroy 2 orbs you have to give up using a critical attack for that specific attack.

-I quite like "Chosen Warrior of Hope" over "Chosen Warrior", when doing that card I couldn't quite think how to work in the 希望 part of his Japanese title.

-For the unpromoted "Sealed Power" Owain, I wanted something that took the 者 into consideration as well as something that sounded more proper for an English reader. Judicious carries the connotation of consciously deciding to hold back power and Swordsman took the place of 者.

-As for Lucina, Sacred Descendent was the final name I decided on for her. I forgot to change that in the raw text section, so thanks for the spot!

Edited by aubergine

^I would still need to disagree on the 'dekizu' part, because to me that means you cannot use critical hits as long as thus CCS skill is active, not because you chose not to use a critical hit. For now, you should keep your version of the translation until something else shows up which can clarify this point.

If you have any friends who are fluent with japanese, you could try asking them? I'll ask around too.

^I would still need to disagree on the 'dekizu' part, because to me that means you cannot use critical hits as long as thus CCS skill is active, not because you chose not to use a critical hit. For now, you should keep your version of the translation until something else shows up which can clarify this point.

If you have any friends who are fluent with japanese, you could try asking them? I'll ask around too.

I did some more research and thinking about it and found you are absolutely correct. My brain has been thinking of できず as せず for whatever reason and I've been missing that all along. It should literally read "without being able to use a critical attack". I'll update it to say "This unit cannot use critical attacks, but the orbs it destroys as a result of battle is 2." Thanks for the catch and for standing your ground, made me rethink it enough to catch on to where I went wrong!

Edited by aubergine

MORGAN!!!

Sorry, he just looks so very super cute in his art! I just wanna hug him and never let go! I may just have to collect those lol. Would kill for sleeves of that art. Morgan was my fave in that game (gender doesn't matter, cute either way).

I can't seem to find Morgan or Anna's art anywhere or I might be blind. Looked at the main site, twitter and blogs but nothing. Any links?

I can't seem to find Morgan or Anna's art anywhere or I might be blind. Looked at the main site, twitter and blogs but nothing. Any links?

Their pictures were originally found on this Japanese blog: http://kizunafe0.blog.fc2.com/blog-entry-4.html

Anna - http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s195/Nindotendofreak/Cipher/Hi-Res%20June/B01-100HN%20Anna.jpg

Morgan - http://i152.photobucket.com/albums/s195/Nindotendofreak/Cipher/Hi-Res%20June/B01-088N%20Morgan.jpg

I did some more research and thinking about it and found you are absolutely correct. My brain has been thinking of できず as せず for whatever reason and I've been missing that all along. It should literally read "without being able to use a critical attack". I'll update it to say "This unit cannot use critical attacks, but the orbs it destroys as a result of battle is 2." Thanks for the catch and for standing your ground, made me rethink it enough to catch on to where I went wrong!

It's all right, there was always a chance that i will be wrong somewhere

So, a combination of boredom and a lack of patience caused me to venture into Google Translate land for some of the untranslated cards and I think I got some decent stuff. I mean, it was gibberish naturally, but I used logic (yay logic!) to get the gist of some of these. I apologize for the informal language, but this is just for providing info (and sketchy info at that lol)

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/15.jpg

Ogma here has you tapping an ally to give him +10 power for the turn (as many times as you like) for his first effect. His second effect is if he defeats an enemy in battle, if his power is 100 or higher, then he destroys 2 orbs instead of 1.

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/50.jpg

Chrom has you flipping 3 bonds and discarding a Chrom to move all opponent's units to the front (I think...he moves more than one unit and doesn't specify a number) and gives all allies +30 power until the end of turn. His second effect gives him +40 power when he attacks a dragon, but only if he was promoted

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/79.jpg

Token fanservice yandere, I mean Tharja, has you flipping 3 bonds and discarding a Tharja to make your opponent choose 2 cards from their hand to discard and if she was promoted, then they discard 3 instead. Her second effect is as long as you have more cards in your hand than your opponent, she gets +20 power, and this is during either player's turn.

I figured peeps here wanted to know what the SR cards did, at the very least.

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/50.jpg

Chrom has you flipping 3 bonds and discarding a Chrom to move all opponent's units to the front (I think...he moves more than one unit and doesn't specify a number) and gives all allies +30 power until the end of turn. His second effect gives him +40 power when he attacks a dragon, but only if he was promoted

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/79.jpg

Token fanservice yandere, I mean Tharja, has you flipping 3 bonds and discarding a Tharja to make your opponent choose 2 cards from their hand to discard and if she was promoted, then they discard 3 instead. Her second effect is as long as you have more cards in your hand than your opponent, she gets +20 power, and this is during either player's turn.

Chrom's effect allows you to move any number of enemies to front or rear freely.

Tharja's effect is +20 power when your opponent has no cards (lit. not even one) in their hand.

Other than that good job with Google Trans!

Is there anywhere we can pre-order the issue of v-jump that comes with that Marth promo?

I can buy this and anything else within Japan and ship it outside the country. The September V-Jump with Marth is released July 18

Edited by audiotronica

Okay, yay! I feel so proud of myself! So, Tharja isn't as OP as I thought she was and Chrom is even better! I did some more and these I am more comfortable with when it comes to understanding:

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/57.jpg

Female Robin gets +10 power for as long as you have less orbs than your opponent and when she supports an attacker that is from Awakening you can move any of your opponent's character that isn't being attacked.

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/87.jpg

When you deploy this male Morgan, if you have less orbs than your opponent and have female Robin deployed, you can flip two bonds to place the top card of your deck into your orb area. (Still super cute! ^^)

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/56.jpg

When another ally class changes, you can move any enemy unit. And her CCS skill is you can flip 3 bonds to put the top card of your deck into your orb area, provided you have less orbs than your opponent. And it seems to be unlimited times a turn, as long as you can pay the cost and have less orbs.

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/27.jpg

Merric has the ability to once a turn, flip a bond, to make it so that he gains +30 power when he attacks a flier. The second effect is that when he defeats a unit in battle, if you used the first ability this turn, you may draw a card (this will work, even if you decided to use the effect and the opposing unit wasn't a flier).

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/34.jpg

Lined makes it so that once a turn, when you deploy a cost 2 or less unit, you can flip a bond to draw a card and when she attacks, you can flip a bond to give her +20 power for the battle

http://meikou.main.jp/FE0/card/bs1/99.jpg

I'm having trouble with this Anna card. I know she gains power based on the number of Annas on board, plus you can play more than one at a time and have unlimited copies in the deck (I think?), but I know there's more to the whole ability.

Okay, yay! I feel so proud of myself! So, Tharja isn't as OP as I thought she was and Chrom is even better! I did some more and these I am more comfortable with when it comes to understanding:

All your translations seem fine to me, though some could be explained a bit easier.

Here is the Anna card:

Skill: Anna Sisters (Continuous)

This unit receives +10 ATK for each other “Anna” card on the field.

Skill: 100 Annas

1 You can play another “Anna” card on the field while this is in play, and you can play more than two Anna cards at once. (Special)

2 You may have more than 5 cards with this card’s name in your deck. (Special)

3 Another “Anna” card will successfully support this card in battle. (Permanent)

So yes, you could literally have 100 Annas out on the field at once. Besides the initial cost to put out an Anna card, having a deck based around this card can be very powerful. It’s one of the more unique cards in this set.

I'll put it as formal text if peeps ask me to lol. I just figure I should just get the info out there, but maybe I should start doing that.

Anyways, as for that Anna card, that is what I got for her third effect too, but isn't that gibberish? As far as I know, support is always successful, isn't it?

I'll put it as formal text if peeps ask me to lol. I just figure I should just get the info out there, but maybe I should start doing that.

Anyways, as for that Anna card, that is what I got for her third effect too, but isn't that gibberish? As far as I know, support is always successful, isn't it?

Not formal or cardlike text, sometimes you are going roundabout the meaning instead of just getting to it (this is due to Goog translate and Japanese language indirectness), nothing big though.

Normally if the same unit comes up as a support, the support is negated. Ex: If you are attacking with Marth and flip over another Marth for support, you don't get the support value or ability. This Anna ability lets you have Anna support another Anna, which makes it very useful if your deck is filled the card.

Anyway the game is almost here, I have my decks and a box preordered from my local shop :). I've made a few decks looking at the cards on the website, but I think it will be a long time before I can even test them out. Anyway, looking forward to Thursday!

But if we won't have the male Robin, we won't have the female Morgan neither...

And Henry's cards are awesome

Anyway the Morgan in the card has blu hair, i mean, poor sumia, even in the awakening opening scene she was Chrom's wife

Also, a deck, literally, full of Anna will be viable.

If this is only the 1st expantion i can't wait to see the others

I also have a question, for the ones who played, or saw someone playing the game, how much time does it take a single game, i mean, in turns?

Edited by Xem

I also have a question, for the ones who played, or saw someone playing the game, how much time does it take a single game, i mean, in turns?

I can't remember exactly but when both players know the rules and their cards, the games usually go pretty fast. A lot of times it was down to to 1/0 orbs for both players. 10-15 turns and 15-20 minutes maybe? Official tournaments will have a 30 minute time limit, and the winner will be determined by number of remaining orbs.

So is it confirmed there's no MaMU or FeMorgan cards? That'd seem quite biased to only include one of the Avatars.

Especially if the avatar has (Female) in her name.

Ok maybe a (Male) card will be released later, but right now that seems pretty pointless