Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

I think it's 4 cards per deck that are exclusive? Something like that. It's mentioned earlier in this same thread.

With the amount of promos, r+/sr+ out there I'm wondering how I could best organise the cards in a binder actually.

Do the autographed variants have a different card number or are they exactly they same? I might just go with a smaller binder where I keep all promos and signed cards.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think we should reconsider our translation of "Savior of Archanea, Marth." The Japanese text does not mention Archanea;

救国の英雄 マルス

Kyuukyoku no Eiyuu Marusu

"Hero of National Salvation, Marth"

救国 is a type of patriot that has a messianic role for the nation, like Jeanne d'Arc. I can see why we would use Savior, but given that the text doesn't refer to Archanea by name, it would be more accurate to render this in a way that identifies Marth as a patriotic hero without specifying Archanea. "Hero to His Country, Marth" maybe?

I think we should reconsider our translation of "Savior of Archanea, Marth." The Japanese text does not mention Archanea;

救国の英雄 マルス

Kyuukyoku no Eiyuu Marusu

"Hero of National Salvation, Marth"

救国 is a type of patriot that has a messianic role for the nation, like Jeanne d'Arc. I can see why we would use Savior, but given that the text doesn't refer to Archanea by name, it would be more accurate to render this in a way that identifies Marth as a patriotic hero without specifying Archanea. "Hero to His Country, Marth" maybe?

Thanks for the feedback! One reason I didn't go with a more direct translation here is due to the redundant nature of putting the two English terms "Hero" and "Patriot/Messiah" right next to each other in any order.

Another reason is that Patriotism for an American English speaker really contains the identity of the country within it, and also the Japanese term 救国 itself references a "patriot concerned with his countries salvation". While in reality, Marth's home country is Altea, as the story proceeds (at least in Shadow Dragon), he comes to represent Archanea as a whole. So, you can see the difficulty one might have trying to find a perfect match to the direct translation, which is why I took a bit of liberty and directly referenced Archanea in his title.

A third reason for my choice is space and wordiness. I agree that something like "Hero of National Salvation" is more correct, but it definitely doesn't roll of the tongue well. Also that has a few more characters at 26 than "Savior of Archanea" at 18. While this isn't an official body of work, conservation of character space is still something I strive to observe in my translation work.

All that being said, I have taken this into consideration and will definitely give it more thought! The great thing about a fan translation is the freedom to be fluid and change things if need be. Again, I appreciate you sharing your time and thoughts on this!

Maaaan, all the new information on the TCG and the video games is exciting.

So I decided to run through the FAQ on the Cipher website, and noted some of the more interesting questions and answers.

• There seems to be no order in which you choose to resolve skills that may activate at the same play timing,
  • No limit on cards in hand,
  • Both players can check all facedown bonds, including their opponent's,
  • When you have 1 orb left and a specific skill has your opponent's attack destroy 2 orbs, you don't lose.
  • When you class change; first draw a card, then resolve any skills.
  • You can play a card and class change it on the same turn that it is played,
  • You can class change over a class changed card,
  • Reversed (flipped) bonds count to the total amount of bonds, but their symbols (Awakening/Shadow Dragon) don't, so basically you can't play any cards if all of your bonds are facedown.
  • Marth cannot be supported by "Marth" Lucina,
  • Gaius' "Assassinate" works on the Hero as well,
  • A lot of cards that have skills that work when a card class changes don't work on the card itself (Henry, Robin; this might be a confusing one),
  • If you happen to deck out upon successfully attacking with the Class Changed Lissa, you first shuffle back the deck and then resolve the skill; so basically, you can't add anything back to hand.
  • If a support fails, then so does the support skill.

That's about all I got from it for now!

So I've got a few questions now:
Do you only get to draw a card when you promote or would playing a 2 Cost Marth over a 1 Cost Marth give you a draw?
If you do "Class Change" a Promoted Unit on top of the same Promoted Unit, do you get to draw a card? Also does it have to be a different card (can you play B01-001 Marth on top of B01-001 Marth or only on top of the Starter Deck Marth)?

Also, did we ever learn about playing multicolors? Do you only need one Blue Bond to play as many Blue Characters as you want or do the Bonds only generate mana (for lack of a better term right now) for their own colors? If Bonds become colorless when face down but can still be used to play Units then I'm guessing you only need one of a color, but *shrugs*.

Here it is :) My booster box unboxing!

To confirm, 4 SR per box, 12 R per box (one was R+)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8MxfX9s7QZw

Thanks a bunch for doing this. You seemed a little nervous, but it was still a good watch. Seeing someone else open up a box kinda helps the wait for my own cards to come in, lol. Also, pretty nice pulls, but man, seeing you not get a single R twice makes me feel like I won't get a playset of anything. Only 2 HNs a pack is kinda a bummer too, lol.
Can't wait for your tournament/metagame coverage.

I'm pretty surprised we didn't get any villains (besides Camus, but he doesn't really count). Do you think villains from a series (like Awakening) will have the same Insignia or Colors as the rest of the series (I'm almost thinking they might have their own symbol/color, but who knows)? I mean, I'm surprised they didn't sneak in an Aversa card at least, lol. I'm also wondering if we'll have to wait for another dedicated set to get more Shadow Dragon/Awakening cards, or do you think they'll add a few into the next couple sets? Like, I really hope they cover all the games (this card game needs to be successful so it can live), and I also hope they increase the set sizes to at least include 1 card for every playable characters (though I guess they gotta keep us wanting more, but like, why do all the kids have a promotion card except Morgan and Noire and where's Kjelle at :( ).
I'm just hoping the rules of the card game don't limit it too much, as long as they can come up with interesting abilities and some awesome art, then it can still be a fun/good card game.

Edited by CloudLink

The Q&A has addressed several color-related questions.

Q.81 (2015/06/24)

■出撃フェイズで、自分の絆エリアにある裏向きのカードも枚数としてかぞえることはできますか?

A. はい、できます。ただし、裏向きのカードのシンボルを参照することはできません。

Q.81 During the deployment phase, can you count face-down cards in your own bond area towards the number [of bonds in your bond area]?

A. Yes, you can. However, you cannot access the symbol of face-down cards.

(The Japanese they use is 枚数 "the number of flat things," in this case "the number of flat things in the bond area")

Basically face-down bonds still contribute to the bond area, but their symbols don't count for playing a unit of a specific symbol. So i you have 5 face-down bonds you could call five cards...if they were all colorless cards with no symbol, which don't exist :P

Then there's this:

Q.91 (2015/06/24)

■自分の絆カードが3枚あり、そのうち1枚が光の剣のシンボルを持ち、他の2枚が聖痕のシンボルを持つ場合、自分の出撃フェイズに、出撃コストが1の光の剣のカードを3枚出撃させることはできますか?

はい、できます

Q.91 You have 3 cards in your bond area, among them you have 1 Sword of Light symbol, and have 2 other Mark of Naga symbols, in your deployment phase, can you pay the deployment cost to deploy 3 Sword of Light cards?

A. Yes, you can.

To answer CloudLink's question on class changing;

You only draw a card when you promote an unpromoted unit.

That means that if you class change from an already promoted unit, then you won't draw a card; only when you've gone from Unpromoted to Promoted.

Hope that helps!

Been occupied with playing IF and the Cipher so sorry for late replies.

As far as I can tell, that effect means she counts as both Lucina and Marth at the same time and such an effect is a double-edged sword. She can promote into any promoted Marth or Lucina cards, she can also be used for the discarding for critical, evasion, and persona blasts of both Lucina and Marth, but this also means you canot play any Lucina or Marth cards while she is out nor can she support Lucina or Marth or be supported by them.

Right, that Lucina card can't be used to support Marth and can't be out at the same time as Marth. It's pretty much just to be used for crit/evasion, or to put out when you don't have a Marth.

Basically, in order for me to try to get every single card in every single variation available, what exactly should I buy and how many of each? At the moment, I am ready to place an order for at least 5 boxes although I'm not sure I'm going to need that amount. I also need both starter decks as there are some exclusives in there too, right?

If you mean every variation including the + cards, you will need much more than 5 boxes. There is only one + card in each box, so you will need a minimum of 14 boxes without dupes. If you aren't concerned about the + cards, 5 boxes MIGHT be enough to get all the different SR cards. Your biggest problem is going to be running into SR dupes, it's just a random thing.

I think it's 4 cards per deck that are exclusive? Something like that. It's mentioned earlier in this same thread.

With the amount of promos, r+/sr+ out there I'm wondering how I could best organise the cards in a binder actually.

Do the autographed variants have a different card number or are they exactly they same? I might just go with a smaller binder where I keep all promos and signed cards.

5 card varieties per deck are exclusive, also there are exclusive foil cards in the deck.

The + cards have the same number, but say + on the card. So Tharja is B01-080SR, and then B01-080SR+.

Also, did we ever learn about playing multicolors? Do you only need one Blue Bond to play as many Blue Characters as you want or do the Bonds only generate mana (for lack of a better term right now) for their own colors? If Bonds become colorless when face down but can still be used to play Units then I'm guessing you only need one of a color, but *shrugs*.

Thanks a bunch for doing this. You seemed a little nervous, but it was still a good watch. Seeing someone else open up a box kinda helps the wait for my own cards to come in, lol. Also, pretty nice pulls, but man, seeing you not get a single R twice makes me feel like I won't get a playset of anything. Only 2 HNs a pack is kinda a bummer too, lol.
Can't wait for your tournament/metagame coverage.

I'm pretty surprised we didn't get any villains (besides Camus, but he doesn't really count). Do you think villains from a series (like Awakening) will have the same Insignia or Colors as the rest of the series (I'm almost thinking they might have their own symbol/color, but who knows)?

For multicolors you need at least one blue bond out to play blue cards, and at least one red out to play red cards. If all of your bonds are reversed, you can't play any characters on the field until there is at least one bond of the same color out. So you need to be careful using skills that you don't lock yourself out of being able to play characters on the field in a multicolor deck.

I kind of had the camera under me and kept checking back and forth to make sure I was actually filming, so maybe that's why I sounded nervous? I didn't think so xD

For the next set there will be at least 2 new colors, if they plan on doing all the games they are going to run out of colors so I'm not sure what they are aiming for with that.

(The Japanese they use is 枚数 "the number of flat things," in this case "the number of flat things in the bond area")

枚数 is very simply "number of cards" in this case.

So a little bit about the tournament last night..

Most of the people there had bought 3-6 boxes and had a lot of very sparkly decks already. The winner's strategy was basically put out as many strong 1 cost guys out at once, pound lord with hopes of getting a high support, and then upgrade own lord as soon as possible.

You really need to maximize your use of one turn especially in the end game, destroying one unit or orb will make a big difference later on. Most of the games I played ended with both players having no orbs left and winning by a 10 support difference. A lot of the game seemed to hinge on getting a card with 30 support.

I played against a pegasus deck and while it seems like a good idea, it takes a long time to set up, and if you have characters than can reach the back or move from back to front, the pegasus characters are destroyed very easily, setting you pretty far back.

My promo pack was Wrys and Jagen. That's about all for now!

Thanks for the responses, guys! That clears up a lot of things for me. Also, playing multicolor doesn't seem too bad.

Hmm, that could be it, audiotronica. Like, you didn't really sound nervous, just seemed it a little bit. Either way, no big deal, lol.

How'd you do and what type of deck did you play?
Man, beatdown/face race usually dominates early in a game's life. I remember old school Yugioh was all about dropping 4 Star Monsters with 1800+ Attack. We'll have to wait and see if any better strategies get discovered (or if anything else can even survive right now).

I played against a pegasus deck and while it seems like a good idea, it takes a long time to set up, and if you have characters than can reach the back or move from back to front, the pegasus characters are destroyed very easily, setting you pretty far back.

So, run archers. Got it! :P

More seriously, I was thinking today that one of the disadvantages to the higher cost characters despite their impressive effects is that their support values are less than 30, which is the exact margin necessary for comparable lords to guarantee they can get an attack through. Both players desire a support value of 30, but trying to optimize your deck around consistently checking that requires running a ton of low cost units, which caters to swarming the field rather than playing single game-swelling cards.

I'd sure like to see Tiki pulled off as a viable decktype.

Translations are complete for the two Corrin promo cards. These are technically included in Series 1, despite obviously being series 2 cards, so that's pretty interesting. I had been wondering what was going to take those two empty slots in the Series 1 promo card list.

[spoiler='Crown-Prince of Hoshido, Corrin']P01-001PR%20Corrin.png

Rarity: Promotional / Series 1 Promo Card #001

Cost: 1 / Promotion Cost: N/A

Insignia: Hoshido

Affinities: Male / Sword

Quote: “I was born in Hoshido, but raised in Nohr…”

Skill 1: “Nohrian Heart” / ∞ / You may also treat this card as having a Nohr Insignia. (This skill only becomes active when this card is a unit on the battlefield.)

Skill 2: “Yato, Depth of Night” / ∞ / During your turn if you have 2 or more Hoshido Insignia Bonds, this unit’s attack is increased by 10.

Support Skill: “Hero’s Emblem” / Attack ♥ / If your attacking unit has a Hoshido Insignia, then until the end of the attack phase the orbs that are destroyed as a result of that unit’s attack becomes 2.

Attack Power: 40

Support Attack Power: 20

Range: 1

Class: Nohr Prince

Title: Crown-Prince of Hoshido

Card ID: P01-001PR

Illustrator: Yusuke Kozaki

[spoiler=Crown-Princess of Nohr, Corrin]P01-002PR%20Corrin.png

Rarity: Promotional / Series 1 Promo Card #002

Cost: 1 / Promotion Cost: N/A

Insignia: Nohr

Affinities: Female / Sword

Quote: “If it’s at all possible, next we meet I would like for it to be as friends.”

Skill 1: “Hoshidan Heart” / ∞ / You may also treat this card as having a Hoshido Insignia. (This skill only becomes active when this card is a unit on the battlefield.)

Skill 2: “Yato, Span of Night” / ∞ / During your turn if you have 2 or more Nohr Insignia Bonds, this unit’s attack is increased by 10.

Support Skill: “Hero’s Emblem” / Attack ♥ / If your attacking unit has a Nohr Insignia, then until the end of the attack phase the orbs that are destroyed as a result of that unit’s attack becomes 2.

Attack Power: 40

Support Attack Power: 20

Range: 1

Class: Nohr Princess

Title: Crown-Princess of Nohr

Card ID: P01-002PR

Illustrator: Yusuke Kozaki

Thanks for the responses, guys! That clears up a lot of things for me. Also, playing multicolor doesn't seem too bad.

Hmm, that could be it, audiotronica. Like, you didn't really sound nervous, just seemed it a little bit. Either way, no big deal, lol.

How'd you do and what type of deck did you play?

Man, beatdown/face race usually dominates early in a game's life. I remember old school Yugioh was all about dropping 4 Star Monsters with 1800+ Attack. We'll have to wait and see if any better strategies get discovered (or if anything else can even survive right now).

Multicolor is fine as long as the ratio isn't terribly skewed (i.e. 10:40) and you can deal with almost always having two face up bond cards or risking not be able to play characters. One issue is the support or other abilities that help out characters of the same color can become useless. Most people seemed to stick with a single color deck.

I started out with a deck over 50 cards but ended up changing it to 50 to have more chances for crit/evade fodder. My deck is in the works of course but the idea is to get out bonds fast (Chiki, Grego), keeping orbs recovered (Robin, Morgan), and search discards for Marth. I have 12 Marths (including Lucina) in the deck ATM but I don't think it's enough. I was unlucky most times and had Marth come up as a support and be discarded, instead of being able to draw it next turn and crit/evade. Right now the max Marth/Lucina cards that can be in a deck are 20, and it will be 24 next month with the V-Jump promo. I'm guessing there will be a lot of decks with 24 Marth/Lucina for the people that can get 4 of the SR cards. I'm interested to see how decks like this will work.

Anyways it was double elimination and I won 1 match and lost 2, both quite close. Played a bunch of free matches outside that and it was half/half, always coming down to the "RNG" of support value.

Deck construction needs to take the following into account for balancing:

-Amount of decently strong 1 cost characters for first few turns

-Bad characters with good support abilities/values

-Red/Blue cards, and cards that specifically support them

-Amount of same character (x4,x8 etc) for more chances to crit/evade but more chances to fail support.

Maybe will try some games tonight, need to see who is around the shops (still mostly Vanguard players)

So, run archers. Got it! :P

More seriously, I was thinking today that one of the disadvantages to the higher cost characters despite their impressive effects is that their support values are less than 30, which is the exact margin necessary for comparable lords to guarantee they can get an attack through. Both players desire a support value of 30, but trying to optimize your deck around consistently checking that requires running a ton of low cost units, which caters to swarming the field rather than playing single game-swelling cards.

I'd sure like to see Tiki pulled off as a viable decktype.

Exactly, from what I played yesterday there were barely ANY of the 4/5 cost SR cards out (of course there aren't a ton of them floating around yet but I was still playing with people who had already opened 6 boxes) besides in the bond area. For most of them, the effects just aren't worth it, and often they require a hefty reversal cost, and one of the same named card from your hand. For example the SR Chrom has a decent but situational ability that requires another Chrom card and 3 reversals. It's probably going to be better to save that Chrom card for crit/evade, especially if Chrom is your Lord.

It seems much more viable to put out 5 low cost characters and spam Lord until a 30 cost card comes up, than put out one higher ATK character that can easily be evaded and destroyed the next turn.

The support values usually went like this:

30 - probably tie

20 - maybe tie

10 - nope

A deck based around upgrading to a strong lord quick, and then followed by a ton of 30 support units might be very viable.

Edited by audiotronica

5 card varieties per deck are exclusive, also there are exclusive foil cards in the deck.

The + cards have the same number, but say + on the card. So Tharja is B01-080SR, and then B01-080SR+.

Thanks for all the info and the video!

I think I will stick with storing promos and + cards seprately.

So I think that we sorely need to make a complete English-language setlist for S01, S02, B01 and promotional cards. I don't know if anyone's been working on this already, but I tried drawing up a basic page on the wiki to brainstorm some options for presenting the information, using the same basic structure as the CFV wiki's set pages but adding additional categories: http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Booster_Set_1:_Warblade_of_Heroes

We could also try tables that look more like what Bulbapedia uses for their setlists: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Base_Set_%28TCG%29

I think that the Bulbapedia route of including the symbol a card belongs to may work better for Cipher, since there's only going to be a maximum nine or so "clans" in this game for a long time coming. The official website has its own setlist in Japanese that we can go from for set numbers: http://fecipher.jp/cards/BT0001.html

Since we're already grouping cards under their character name, it should be a matter of having the card's actual name in the set and then linking over to its Cipher page in the setlist. The downside to how we have it now is that if there's too many cards in a single character's page, all of those PNG files are going to cause slow load times for some users.

We should also establish how we're going to call the different colors as well. Do we just say red and blue? What about the Hoshido/Nohr sides where the border is white/black but the interior circles are pink/purple? And what if the game does get villains from the Archanea/Ylisse universes that are red/blue but have different symbols since they're not on Marth's/Chrom's side? The Japanese Cipher wiki was referring to cards from Marth's side as War of Darkness cards and Chrom's as Awakening cards, but made the jump to the official site's terminology after it revamped. The official website calls them Sword of Light (光の剣) and Brand of the Exalt (聖痕 Seikon; stigmata. IIRC this is what the Brand of the Exalt is called in Japanese, but it's been called the Mark of Naga in fantranslations? I didn't follow Awakening's translation progress that closely). However, the internal file names on the official website for the symbols are icon_ankoku_clear.png and icon_kakusei_clear.png, even in the B01 setlist. That lends credence to the War of Darkness and Awakening translations. Whatever we choose, it needs to be consistently applied to avoid confusion and help the game quickly get a foothold with English-speaking fans.

So I think that we sorely need to make a complete English-language setlist for S01, S02, B01 and promotional cards. I don't know if anyone's been working on this already, but I tried drawing up a basic page on the wiki to brainstorm some options for presenting the information, using the same basic structure as the CFV wiki's set pages but adding additional categories: http://serenesforest.net/wiki/index.php/Booster_Set_1:_Warblade_of_Heroes

We could also try tables that look more like what Bulbapedia uses for their setlists: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Base_Set_%28TCG%29

I think that the Bulbapedia route of including the symbol a card belongs to may work better for Cipher, since there's only going to be a maximum nine or so "clans" in this game for a long time coming. The official website has its own setlist in Japanese that we can go from for set numbers: http://fecipher.jp/cards/BT0001.html

Since we're already grouping cards under their character name, it should be a matter of having the card's actual name in the set and then linking over to its Cipher page in the setlist. The downside to how we have it now is that if there's too many cards in a single character's page, all of those PNG files are going to cause slow load times for some users.

We should also establish how we're going to call the different colors as well. Do we just say red and blue? What about the Hoshido/Nohr sides where the border is white/black but the interior circles are pink/purple? And what if the game does get villains from the Archanea/Ylisse universes that are red/blue but have different symbols since they're not on Marth's/Chrom's side? The Japanese Cipher wiki was referring to cards from Marth's side as War of Darkness cards and Chrom's as Awakening cards, but made the jump to the official site's terminology after it revamped. The official website calls them Sword of Light (光の剣) and Brand of the Exalt (聖痕 Seikon; stigmata. IIRC this is what the Brand of the Exalt is called in Japanese, but it's been called the Mark of Naga in fantranslations? I didn't follow Awakening's translation progress that closely). However, the internal file names on the official website for the symbols are icon_ankoku_clear.png and icon_kakusei_clear.png, even in the B01 setlist. That lends credence to the War of Darkness and Awakening translations. Whatever we choose, it needs to be consistently applied to avoid confusion and help the game quickly get a foothold with English-speaking fans.

These suggestions might be better seen in the SF FE 0 Wiki Updating thread.

I honestly feel like each card should have it's own page, much akin to the Japanese Cipher. Having multiple cards per character page could get confusing and hard to reference later.

I definitely agree we need a setlist, and I like the way yours is looking Touya. Would it be better to list cards by the Card ID like the Official Site instead though?

In reference to a card's classification to a set, I agree that color is too vague to get everything across. I had been using the terms "Shadow Dragon" and "Awakening" in order to help ease people into cards, but yeah with the advent of Nohr and Hoshido being to armies of one single game, using game names as a signifier should be rethought. I like the idea of using the official localization of the Japanese Cipher site terms "Sword of Light" and "Brand of the Exalt", though in my personal opinion I feel "Mark of Naga" would fit better than "Brand of the Exalt". The phrase matches the same structure as that of "Sword of Light" and if I'm not mistaken Mark of Naga is just as correct as Brand of the Exalt, with both being used in the official localization of Awakening.

If you mean every variation including the + cards, you will need much more than 5 boxes. There is only one + card in each box, so you will need a minimum of 14 boxes without dupes. If you aren't concerned about the + cards, 5 boxes MIGHT be enough to get all the different SR cards. Your biggest problem is going to be running into SR dupes, it's just a random thing.

Thanks for your input! As I usually do with TCG's, I tend to buy the most rare cards separately online. I am not very familiar with these abbreviations though; I take it these SR+ cards are the SR cards but with the artist's signature on it?

Do we have some kind of list of all the cards from the first set? That would help a lot with my collecting to kinda "check off" what cards I've obtained.

^Nice video!

I just placed an order for three boxes and both starter decks, as a start that is. Anyway I have some more questions. What is the exact size of the cards? I'm trying to get some sleeves, but from the information I've gathered the cards are bigger than Pokémon and Magic cards. Is this correct? Does this mean I will need to get the official sleeves? If so, it's quite unfortunate as that would also mean they won't fit inside of normal card binders.

They should be the same size as Pokemon/Magic cards.

Hmm... From what I've deduced Cipher are 67×92mm in size, while Magic and Pokémon is 63×88mm if my memory serves me right. The information for the Cipher cards could be wrong though, so I'd appreciate it if someone who has already obtained some cards could measure them. ;p

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55054

I dunno if people saw that, but it's been almost 24 hours since I posted that and I feel it is important topic to discuss and I felt it would have derailed this topic too much, so I made a new one.

I feel like a dirty person, shilling my own stuff...

Hmm... From what I've deduced Cipher are 67×92mm in size, while Magic and Pokémon is 63×88mm if my memory serves me right. The information for the Cipher cards could be wrong though, so I'd appreciate it if someone who has already obtained some cards could measure them. ;p

. . .I think I know what went wrong.

This is the description of the Cipher sleeves:

65 Sleeves/Pack

Size: 67 x 92mm

Print: Front: Transparent / Back: 5C Print (4C + White)

*Metallic design

Source

Stadard sleeves are 66 x 91mm.

Card sleeves are usually a bit bigger than the cards themselves. If Cipher is somehow not the same size as Pokemon/Magic, the size difference will be minimal.

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=55054

I dunno if people saw that, but it's been almost 24 hours since I posted that and I feel it is important topic to discuss and I felt it would have derailed this topic too much, so I made a new one.

I feel like a dirty person, shilling my own stuff...

I'll give it a read in a few hours once I've slept, but I'm sure most should be fine.

Touya retweeted this but seems that he didn't put it up here just yet:

A Shadow Dragon deck topped in Japan already!

I just hate posting from my phone all right.

I transcribed the decklist into English and summarized the main points behind it, don't knock whatever translations I used because these were from reading not from referring to the master list: http://fireemblemcipher.blogspot.com/2015/06/news-war-of-darkness-tops-card-kingdom.html

I admit this deck familiarized me with some effects that I didn't realize how good they were until I started taking apart this list. The deck feels very...Haymaker-y. Like here's your Hitmonchan, Electabuzz, Scyther, and Aerodactyl, go to town kid.

Thanks for the deck lineup! My own deck design idea was a bit along those lines (though less effective); I'm glad that this won and not a "all Lucinas and Marths cards" or other similar one-minded decks. I also enjoy that most of his deck actually consists of common or uncommon cards at first glance: it's not a "rare-fest", so it sounds like "cheap" decks will be viable at least for the moment.

Anyway, yes I do think that "swarm and kill" variations will be the basic format until we get more cards. We only have 100-something cards out at the moment. There's not too many "finesse" cards out at the moment, or not enough different ones. For example, like all the Tharja cards have interesting mechanics regarding opponent discards, but no other cards do and you can't have multiple Tharjas out so you can't base your deck on that mechanics.

"Stalling the game" sounds like it would be benefit some scaling cards heavily, but I'm not seeing cards that actually let you stall. You might think that defensive cards like Kellam could do the job, but that's really not the case.