Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

Hang on, why would 'Marth' Lucina be able to be used for a GSE/Crit for a normal Marth? The ability for Lucina to be treated as Marth is a continuous ability and only be active when she's on the field no?

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Loving the art on these cards... puts stuff like YGO and Weiss Schwarz to shame.

Probably not gonna pick up a box since I'd rather put that money to a game I actually play, like MTG or FoW, but I'll probably pick up a few packs when I return to Japan.

Hang on, why would 'Marth' Lucina be able to be used for a GSE/Crit for a normal Marth? The ability for Lucina to be treated as Marth is a continuous ability and only be active when she's on the field no?

Her effect doesn't specify where and even says "at all times", so she is also Marth when in the hand, support area, bond area, orbs, deck, and retreat area, in addition to the field. It is rather cool they are doing stuff like this from the get-go. Really makes you excited for additional sets, just to see what new stuff they come up with.

Loving the art on these cards... puts stuff like YGO and Weiss Schwarz to shame.

Probably not gonna pick up a box since I'd rather put that money to a game I actually play, like MTG or FoW, but I'll probably pick up a few packs when I return to Japan.

Yeah, YGO has some pretty good art, but most of it is rather similar to one another and WS art is only really good when they don't go for screencaps like they usually do. MtG and FoW does have some good art. But yeah, I would only bother buying cards when I can actually play the game too.

Hmm... From what I've deduced Cipher are 67×92mm in size, while Magic and Pokémon is 63×88mm if my memory serves me right. The information for the Cipher cards could be wrong though, so I'd appreciate it if someone who has already obtained some cards could measure them. ;p

I compared my 2 cipher cards to my mtg cards and they are the exact same size.

. . .I think I know what went wrong.

This is the description of the Cipher sleeves:

Source

Stadard sleeves are 66 x 91mm.

Card sleeves are usually a bit bigger than the cards themselves. If Cipher is somehow not the same size as Pokemon/Magic, the size difference will be minimal.

I compared my 2 cipher cards to my mtg cards and they are the exact same size.

Ahaha, well that clears that up. Thanks guys, it's highly appreciated! :3

Wonder if a pure Awakening deck will ever top? Looks like it's either Archanea or hybrid.

I think it's possible, although Archanea does have the toolbox options, while hybrid has restanders, toolbox, field pumping... it's really strong.

Oh well, it's only been a few days, I'm sure we'll still see a lot of different decks topping.

Transcripts of decklists + summaries: http://fireemblemcipher.blogspot.com/2015/06/news-mulitcolor-inigo-harem-deck-tops.html

So. Something I need to think about with regards to the Inigo list; there are an awful lot of units in this game that get +10/+20/etc power but don't specify "until end of turn/until the end of the attack phase."

So if you increase your power by +10 and it doesn't specify when the power bonus ends, is that until end of game? Or is it built into the rules that power is wiped at the end of each turn unless a skill specifies otherwise? I wish we had scans of the rulebook.

(Did we ever work out what the ST rarity is and why it occurs in booster sets?)

Transcripts of decklists + summaries: http://fireemblemcipher.blogspot.com/2015/06/news-mulitcolor-inigo-harem-deck-tops.html

So. Something I need to think about with regards to the Inigo list; there are an awful lot of units in this game that get +10/+20/etc power but don't specify "until end of turn/until the end of the attack phase."

So if you increase your power by +10 and it doesn't specify when the power bonus ends, is that until end of game? Or is it built into the rules that power is wiped at the end of each turn unless a skill specifies otherwise? I wish we had scans of the rulebook.

(Did we ever work out what the ST rarity is and why it occurs in booster sets?)

I assume it would be as long as he is supported by said character, same with the Falchion peeps when they attack dragons. Otherwise, SR Chrom is OP by gaining 40 power permanently. No one would play dragons if that were the case. But yeah, they need to phrase these effects better. I was thinking that exact thing when making some of the wiki pages. CFV spoiled me with how well they phrase effects lol.

Isn't ST the rarity for cards in Starter Decks? I wasn't aware they occurred in boosters.

I assume it would be as long as he is supported by said character, same with the Falchion peeps when they attack dragons. Otherwise, SR Chrom is OP by gaining 40 power permanently. No one would play dragons if that were the case. But yeah, they need to phrase these effects better. I was thinking that exact thing when making some of the wiki pages. CFV spoiled me with how well they phrase effects lol.

The effects in question don't stack and the Japanese phrasing is usually ~している場合, meaning when this card is ~(doing something)

Chrom SR:

【CCS/神剣ファルシオン】【常時】このユニットが「竜」を攻撃している場合、このユニットの戦闘力は+40される

When this card attacks a dragon unit, it gets +40

This means that it only gets +40 at the time it's attacking a dragon unit. After that combat is over, his atk goes back to the regular 70.

Inigo SR:

【太陽】【自動】このユニットの攻撃で敵を撃破した時、次の相手のターン終了までこのユニットの戦闘力は+20される

If this unit's attack destroys an enemy unit, +20 until the end of your opponent's turn

【CCS/運命の出会い】【常時】このユニットを支援しているカードが「女」の場合、このユニットの戦闘力は+10される

When this card is supported by a female unit, it gets +10

1st effect is pretty specific, 2nd effect is phrased the same as the Chrom card above.

Isn't ST the rarity for cards in Starter Decks? I wasn't aware they occurred in boosters.

Dark Dragon Deck will say S01-XXXST (XXX is the card number) or ST+ if holo, Awakening Deck is S02-XXXST. Only the cards that are 001 to 005 are not found in boosters. Other cards (for example Lucina) that are found in the starter deck AND booster have a different number, for example B01-XXXR for example. R will be changed for rarity, and + means a holo.

Don't know if this has been discussed, but are all SR cards holo cards? I've seen these two pictures on twitter and I'm not entirely sure if it's a lighting thing or because it's two different types of cards. Can anyone explain? It'd be really annoying to try and get both a non holo and a holo version of the same card.

Any card that says + on it is a holo (solid rainbow). SR+ is a holo (crosshatch, thumbprint looking) with gold printed quote, numbers, and maybe signature. These are the same card, you can see on the top image that there is a light crosshatching pattern to the left of Tharja's hand.

Anyway, I was able to pick up the normal cards (30 yen each) to fill out my deck, which has been doing well so far.

At a local tournament I got a bonus pack for winning a match, which had SR Chrom in it. I already had one so I traded that for SR Marth, which is now in my deck. I’m trying to see if having a deck that is almost half Marth cards is viable, and it has been so far, but needs tweaking (more lvl 1 units to rush.) I am seeing more people with Inigo decks which are turning out to be very strong if he can pull off the +20 ATK on next turn ability.

Otherwise I am starting to see singles (all rarities) pop up at local shops, of differing prices.R for 800-1200yen, SR for 1800-2400yen or so. This one shop is a bit on the expensive side though, I will have a look at the others today.

Edited by audiotronica

Rewording stuff is what I'm good at! Also, I'm a little less busy, so here goes!

Source

A deck may contain no more than 4 copies of the same card.

Would add "with the same name" at the end of the sentence, just so that someone doesn't freak out over adding cards with the same name ("Chrom") and different grades.

Players start the game by flipping their MC face-up ("Stand up! The vanguard!" :P)

Go home, Kai, you're drunk :P:

(I approve of the statement in parenthesis)

Player who goes first skips their Draw Phase.

If you think we're going to get a lot of total-card-game-rookies-who-know-nothing-about-other-games, add "during the first turn only".

Deployment Phase

It's confusing! Uhh. . .here's how I'd do it:

- Summary of what can happen during deployment (place a unit on the battlefield, class change a unit, or level up a unit), along with something like "all of these methods require bonds less than or equal to its deployment cost".

- Last two points (regarding bond colors and "no duplicate units") go here

- Class Change details

- Level up details

If you want me to go into more details regarding how to format the Class Change/Promotion sections, I'll give it a shot!

This consists of turning the unit(s) horizontal from vertical.

"This consists of turning a vertical unit horizontal. If a unit is already horizontal, it cannot be used for such costs."

The player who goes first may not attack.

"...may not attack on the first turn only." Again, for clarity's sake.

Both players now flip the top cards of their deck face-up into their respective support areas (at the same time).

I'd switch the first two bullet points, unless support skills go off before final attack power calculation.

A character may not support itself. Basically, a Chrom card may not support a Chrom. If the card trying to support an attacker or defender is of the same character, then no power is added, not any skills that activate when supporting activate.

"A character may not support itself. For example, any card whose name is 'Chrom' cannot support another card that is named 'Chrom', even if their deployment cost is different. In such a case, the supporting unit's power is NOT added to the attacking/defending unit, and any support skills that would otherwise resolve will not activate."

. . .or that might be too wordy. Would like some help here~!

The attacking player may now choose to discard a card with the attacking character's name (may be a different card name, but still must be a card of the character). If they do so, then the attacker performs a "critical attack" and their power is doubled (including any support power added) until the end of the battle.

"The attacking player may now choose to discard a card with the attacking character's name. Like the same-unit support, the discarded card needs only the character's name, and may have a different deployment cost. If the appropriate card is discarded, the attacker will perform a 'critical attack'. A 'critical attack', takes the attacker's base power, adds all the power gained from the supporting unit (including special support skills that add additional power), and doubles that result until the end of battle."

The defending player may now choose to discard a card with the defending character's name (same rules as when going for a critical attack). If they do so, then the defender performs an "evasion" and the attack is nullified, as if it never happened.

I'll leave the first sentence alone.

"If they do so, the defender performs an 'evasion', which causes the incoming attack to deal no damage. Treat this situation as if the attacker's power was less than the defender's power during battle resolution."

If you still feel nervous about the rule, then go and watch some games, have someone explain them to you, or better yet, play a game! You should be able to pick up the rules quickly enough.

What about the option of "ask the amazingly friendly and knowledgeable people in the Fire Emblem Cipher subforum" as part of that point? :P:

Can you add something along the lines of "if at any time a player runs out of cards in their deck, all the cards in the retreat area are shuffled, and become the new deck"?

Hi, I've been going through my decks with the translation google docs trying to learn the cards, and I noticed an error:

For the promoted Robin(F) card, the translation for the CCS skill goes "If you have less bonds than your opponent, add the top card of your deck to your Orb Area." However, I believe it should be "If you have less orbs than your opponent, add the top card of your deck to your Orb area" as the skill mentions the word Orb twice and not bonds.

Advance apologies if it has been mentioned before in the thread already but just not reflected in the docs ^^;

I more or less changed stuff on that page to suit your critiques, Eclipse. Didn't use exact wording, but still better wording and less confusing all around. And I did use your stuff as a base, but I prefer writing my own thing, no offense and all that. I even added some stuff we both overlooked (such as that ruling involving breaking 2 orbs in the special notes). I feel that the phrase "but a different deployment cost" would bite us in the ass one day when they might make units of the same character that have the same deployment cost, but a different effect and name.

And I added that Vanguard quote because I feel it would be borderline irresponsible not to at least acknowledge the similarities lol. Apparently, even the Nintendo employees who ran the Cipher demo events name dropped CFV when explaining the game. I do adore the game so and is one of the factors that got me into this game. And I am only Kai because that means I get dibs on Aichi! XD Don't really care too much for Kai's clans. Cute magical sailors is where it's at!

The order goes "attack, support, crit/evasion, battle calculation". Please note that there are support effects that boost power along with ones that prevent critical attacks (like how all the clerics work), so it would have to work like this for it to make sense.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing that out, Pasu! Yeah, one can generally assume that is the case, especially with how the other female Robin works, along with male Morgan. Would be unfair if a player who was winning could heal damage like that. I already fixed the wiki entry, but it is up to Aubergine to work on the document itself.

Edited by FutureKnightX

Most recent tournament top: http://fireemblemcipher.blogspot.com/2015/06/news-sword-of-light-tops-masters-guild.html

The effects in question don't stack and the Japanese phrasing is usually ~している場合, meaning when this card is ~(doing something)

I should have just looked up the grammar for that in the first place. orz

I do wish we had something like a BYOND client to play around with like in the first two years of Vanguard. It's easier to grasp the concepts behind these decks when you have more experience playing the game. Gameplay videos help, but even those have limits for teaching.

Most recent tournament top: http://fireemblemcipher.blogspot.com/2015/06/news-sword-of-light-tops-masters-guild.html

I should have just looked up the grammar for that in the first place. orz

I do wish we had something like a BYOND client to play around with like in the first two years of Vanguard. It's easier to grasp the concepts behind these decks when you have more experience playing the game. Gameplay videos help, but even those have limits for teaching.

Actually...that is exactly what me and a buddy are working on right now. He wants it to be automatic, so it'll be a while. Maybe I can convince him to release it as manual first and then automatic later, as he says it should be done around September with just us two working on it at this rate.

I more or less changed stuff on that page to suit your critiques, Eclipse. Didn't use exact wording, but still better wording and less confusing all around. And I did use your stuff as a base, but I prefer writing my own thing, no offense and all that. I even added some stuff we both overlooked (such as that ruling involving breaking 2 orbs in the special notes). I feel that the phrase "but a different deployment cost" would bite us in the ass one day when they might make units of the same character that have the same deployment cost, but a different effect and name.

And I added that Vanguard quote because I feel it would be borderline irresponsible not to at least acknowledge the similarities lol. Apparently, even the Nintendo employees who ran the Cipher demo events name dropped CFV when explaining the game. I do adore the game so and is one of the factors that got me into this game. And I am only Kai because that means I get dibs on Aichi! XD Don't really care too much for Kai's clans. Cute magical sailors is where it's at!

The order goes "attack, support, crit/evasion, battle calculation". Please note that there are support effects that boost power along with ones that prevent critical attacks (like how all the clerics work), so it would have to work like this for it to make sense.

EDIT: Thanks for pointing that out, Pasu! Yeah, one can generally assume that is the case, especially with how the other female Robin works, along with male Morgan. Would be unfair if a player who was winning could heal damage like that. I already fixed the wiki entry, but it is up to Aubergine to work on the document itself.

Hey, it's fine~! Thanks for updating everything!

I was the unholy combo of late season 4 Miwa and Kai, and now I'm apparently Chrono, help! They're both long stories, which I'll gladly bore you to death via PM! :P:

I do like the nod to Vanguard, because the games are so very similar!

So I finished unboxing 4 boxes just now, a few things I can confirm with reasonable assumption:

As mentioned earlier in this topic, each booster box contains exactly 12 Rares ® and 4 Super Rares (SR)

Among these 16 cards, you are guaranteed that exactly 1 of these cards will be a + card. This means that on average your odds are to pull an SR+ card in one of every 4 booster boxes or 1:64 booster packs. It's probably worth a mention that since the odds seem to be fixed per booster box, you could theoretically have + card hunters who stumble upon the + card early in their pack openings for a box, then sell off the rest of the unopened single booster packs...probably worth considering if you are out on the auctions buying up loose single booster packs!

+ cards come in two varieties: gold font, and gold font with a signature. there are both rare and super rare + types of both varieties.

If anyone cares to know the + cards of my haul:

Robin (F) R+ (gold font and signed)

Lon'qu R+ (gold font)

Catria R+ (gold font)

Marth SR+ (!!) (gold font and signed)

good luck card hunters.

So I was playing around a bit and came up with a few questions. Hopefully someone here can answer them

1. Can you promote / level up a tapped unit? If so, does it remain tapped?

2. If I have 4 bond cards and have already deployed 4 cost worth of units, can I flip the 'used' bonds for effects?

3. For cards like Tiki, who are non-promotable, can I still 'level-up' by placing a higher cost Tiki on a lower cost one (forgoing the promotion draw bonus)?

4. Can Elice's Aum Staff target a character that cannot otherwise be on the battlefield? For example, if I have a Marth on the battlefield, can I use Aum Staff to get another one?

Answers would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: Realised after re-reading the rules that situation 1 cant happen because deployment is before action phase.

Edited by donmk