Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

They're designed to be bridges to the level 5s, even though Corrin F is almost as good as Marth, and Corrin M is literally one you might want for the rest of the game. I guess they'll both be similar to Marth 4 where you only play Marth 5 to win.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

11899810_10204949362873217_5000996840960

Arthur/Harold, the Sunken Hero

- Might of the Hero - +20 on own turn

- Is this really the right place? - Comes into play tapped unless you control Elise or Lutz.

Offensive Support Fighters Emblem

Edited by Tuvillo

:3 It's up on Lackey

Tomboy Samurai Hana (Kazahana)

“Sakura's Retainer” / CONT / When this unit is supported by Sakura, it gains 20 attack. (Should be similarly named to the other retainers)

“Fighter's Emblem” / ATK SUPP / Your attacking unit gains +20 power until the end of battle.

I believe most agreed the way Bushiroad translates CFV seems to be a good fit for the game, especially as this shares many mechanics, but anything further than that has yet to be really agreed upon. I would have helped get the wiki using the same terms for everything already but I felt like I was the only one even trying and that doesn't do well for morale, let alone the sheer amount of time that would take from me.

I don't mind working with an existing template; I'll take a look at CFV to see what its standard wordings are. You're not the only one who wants to see things standardized on the wiki, but I don't have an account and have been short on time for the last few days/will be short on time in the immediate future. I'd be glad to take up that task since I tend to get a bit obsessive about rules....but not for a week or so :3

Lemme know if you find any differences between our plugins that maybe I should get around to changing.

The problem so far isn't having a functional plugin, it's finding a game. (Only reliable way is through our Skype chat atm)

Ha, I'm used to making Lackey plugins to test my own prototypes, so community isn't something I've ever worried about. I'd say feel free to use my wordings, but copying between Lackey plugins would be an enormous pain, and I'm going to be changing some of them in the near future. Really, I'd like to get involved with cleaning up the wiki translations so the wiki TCG Project pages can be the single source of truth for (unofficial) translated card text.

From now on, when you do the stuff for Lackey, could you please also put it here or something? Just saying...

Yeah my bad. I just assume other people on here are better at translations than my roundabout way of doing it.

It's fine, but some kind of translation is better than none at all, you know?

I don't mind working with an existing template; I'll take a look at CFV to see what its standard wordings are. You're not the only one who wants to see things standardized on the wiki, but I don't have an account and have been short on time for the last few days/will be short on time in the immediate future. I'd be glad to take up that task since I tend to get a bit obsessive about rules....but not for a week or so :3

It's fine. There isn't a rush, like, at all. Or at least it wouldn't make sense for there to be one at this point. Basically, in CFV, they divide abilties into ACT (you activate the skill), AUTO (ability activates in response to something, like declaring an attack), and CONT (ability that creates a state when conditions are met, like power gaining during your turn) and all this does appear to be the same in Cipher. Also, they word it to be generally idiot-proof over how most people would phrase how the skill is done. In other words, it's more technical than natural in how the phrasing is done. You should still go over how they word it, but that is the general idea.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CNZQ2H4U8AAaEOd.jpg

Nyx

AUTO / When this unit is destroyed, your opponent discards 1 card.

Sorcerer

Missing Card Title and Effect name because I left the extremely salty Facebook group.

Hi there, thank you for finally accepting the correct translation, and posting it here. After two people telling you your translation is wrong, and saying that you compared the text and deduced the effect, you copied our translation and posted it here. Good job!

Btw, the full effect is "once per turn, When an opponent unit's attack destroys this card in a battle, your opponent chooses one card in his hand and discards it"

The title roughly translates as "Darkness concealed in youth" (unconfirmed because kanji unclear)

Skill name translates to Reflect Curse

Edited by Nanaka

Read it all again, by the way. I was confirming your posts several times. Grasping English is more important than grasping Japanese.

I know it says "Once per turn", but I left that out because I thought it didn't matter. (It does, because she can be MC, I just realized)

I think every effect so far "Destroy that unit by battle", like Gaius and Navarre.

I know the differentiation MIGHT be used later, but at the moment the two Japanese phrases come down to the same thing

Okay, I edited the phrasing to be more exact. Gaius and Navarre are also worded differently (assuming u are referring to the Dual sword ability Navarre). Nyx's effect does specifically state "destroyed in a battle", instead of the usual "destroyed by battle"

Okay, to clarify, does Nyx have to be attacked and lose a battle for her effect to work? It cannot be by an effect like Gaius or Navarre? If so, I think would be best just to take some liberties and express that in her effect. Like:

"'Reflect Curse'/ AUTO / Once a turn, when this unit is attacked and destroyed in a battle, your opponent chooses one card in their hand, and discards it."

Would that be accurate, technically?

Okay, to clarify, does Nyx have to be attacked and lose a battle for her effect to work? It cannot be by an effect like Gaius or Navarre? If so, I think would be best just to take some liberties and express that in her effect. Like:

"'Reflect Curse'/ AUTO / Once a turn, when this unit is attacked and destroyed in a battle, your opponent chooses one card in their hand, and discards it."

Would that be accurate, technically?

Technically yes, it is correct, except it's has to he destroyed by the opponent's unit. Because for now you can't kill yourself via battle (unlike other tcg which has effects which makes your units battle each other etc)

Regarding the difference in the term, it's because it's 撃破 ( destroyes by battle) 戦闘で撃破/敵の攻撃で撃破(destroyed in battle/destroyed by opponent's attack)

Okay, so when I can go on my computer (on mobile right now), I'll put down "Darkness Concealed in Youth, Nyx" with the effect being "'Reflect Curse'/ AUTO / Once a turn, when this unit is attacked and destroyed in a battle with an opponent's unit, your opponent chooses one card in their hand, and discards it." and the comments clarifying that it must be by battle and not by effect and noting that the "once a turn" is for if she is the MC (and for that matter, that wouldn't be such a stupid idea, I suppose, if one really thinks about it).

Sound good to you all?

You can write it Yugioh style "If this card is destroyed by an attack", easier to read.

Edit: Also, "Your opponent discards 1 card" is also fine, since all discard cards are currently written that way and work the same

Edited by Tuvillo

I prefer "idiot-proof" over "easier to read", just to cut down on ruling questions. Of course, one should never underestimate the ingenuity of idiots, since "idiot-proof" doesn't exist, but less people will ask about how she works. And "your opponent discards a card" may be accurate, but it could be left open to interpretation. Since the intent was to have the opponent choose what they discard, I had the effect reflect that.

Hey first time poster!
I just picked up fire emblem cipher and was wondering about a couple rulings that i got into an argument with.

1. Can i only promote units when i have only bonds equal to there promotion cost? For example, Inigo is my lord and i have 2 bonds. Can i promote him this turn with only the 2 bonds or do i need 3 bonds before i can promote him.

2. For the 5 drop marth, does he also get +30 on himself when he uses his effect?

Thanks in advance!

Hey first time poster!

I just picked up fire emblem cipher and was wondering about a couple rulings that i got into an argument with.

1. Can i only promote units when i have only bonds equal to there promotion cost? For example, Inigo is my lord and i have 2 bonds. Can i promote him this turn with only the 2 bonds or do i need 3 bonds before i can promote him.

2. For the 5 drop marth, does he also get +30 on himself when he uses his effect?

Thanks in advance!

1. Yes, but you need at least 1 face up bond

2. yup

Hmm I've got a question too, the person that goes first: is he only unable to attack? Is he allowed to use abilities like locktouch (gaius) for example?

2. yup

Hmm I've got a question too, the person that goes first: is he only unable to attack? Is he allowed to use abilities like locktouch (gaius) for example?

to be more precise, its at least 1 faced up Awakening bond

Player that go first follow through all phases as per normal EXCEPT drawing a card and attacking with any unit. So activation of skill is fine.

2. yup

Thanks!

I assume this would also be the case for the promoted Cherche? +10 attack for all ally flying units including herself.