Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

In short, you can place any card on any card of the same character as a levelup, if the card on top is Promoted it ALSO counts as a Class Change. All Class Changes draw you a card.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh yeah, since you mentioned promotion cost I just remembered I needed to ask another thing which relates to that. Since the bonus only applies to leveling up to a unit with a promotion cost, does that mean that units with no promotion cost such as Cost 4 Aqua or Cost 3 Green Beast Guy (I forgot his name...) won't get draw bonus when you class change into them?

In the case of Azura / Aqua, she gains a promotion cost from her effect, so you draw a card for it.

Hello. I started trying the cipher online thing and after my first game with my friend, we had some questions so I thought someone could help me here.

1. About sophie's promoted card, does her second skill mean she gains 10 ATK after the person's turn end, so she gets +10 ATK when it's the person's defending phase? because the translation for that skill is different from the wiki to the program itself so I would like so clarifications.

2. For TMS character cards, skills like Ellie's need to discard a "virion" card. Does it have to be a mirage virion or can I discard an Awakening Virion card? And can you discard a card that is in the battle field already? And Mirage Virion's supporting skill said I can place it next to Ellie at the end of the battle. Can i still do it even if i lose the battle and what if I already have a Mirage Virion next to Ellie?

3. If, say, I have a lon'qu card In the frontlines already and I have the exact same card in hands. I cannot put the same card in the battlefield, right?

Hello. I started trying the cipher online thing and after my first game with my friend, we had some questions so I thought someone could help me here.

1. About sophie's promoted card, does her second skill mean she gains 10 ATK after the person's turn end, so she gets +10 ATK when it's the person's defending phase? because the translation for that skill is different from the wiki to the program itself so I would like so clarifications.

2. For TMS character cards, skills like Ellie's need to discard a "virion" card. Does it have to be a mirage virion or can I discard an Awakening Virion card? And can you discard a card that is in the battle field already? And Mirage Virion's supporting skill said I can place it next to Ellie at the end of the battle. Can i still do it even if i lose the battle and what if I already have a Mirage Virion next to Ellie?

3. If, say, I have a lon'qu card In the frontlines already and I have the exact same card in hands. I cannot put the same card in the battlefield, right?

1) Her 2nd skill can only be used during your turn's action phase, and moves her (then she gains 10 attack for that turn). She can't get the 10 attack during the defending turn. The wiki and Lackey? If your talking about Lackey's skill translations are different as one is simplified and one is explained a bit more, but in the end they both mean the same.

2) It can be either Virion card as it doesn't state the kind of card it has to be. As long as the card has Virion in it's name -> it's basically fine.

You can discard the same card as one you control already if your performing a critical hit or god-speed evasion, so discarding for a skill cost is also fine in the same regard. One's on the field deployed and one's in hand, so it's not a problem. If you support Virion1 Mirage with the skill, you can deploy him as per his support skill, whether or not you lose the battle (the only requirement is controlling Eleonora). If you already control Virion on the field at all, you can't deploy him from the support zone.

3) You can't deploy two units with the same character name whatsoever, correct. You can't deploy Marth if you already control him. You can class change and such though it's fine with that.

1) Her 2nd skill can only be used during your turn's action phase, and moves her (then she gains 10 attack for that turn). She can't get the 10 attack during the defending turn. The wiki and Lackey? If your talking about Lackey's skill translations are different as one is simplified and one is explained a bit more, but in the end they both mean the same.

2) It can be either Virion card as it doesn't state the kind of card it has to be. As long as the card has Virion in it's name -> it's basically fine.

You can discard the same card as one you control already if your performing a critical hit or god-speed evasion, so discarding for a skill cost is also fine in the same regard. One's on the field deployed and one's in hand, so it's not a problem. If you support Virion1 Mirage with the skill, you can deploy him as per his support skill, whether or not you lose the battle (the only requirement is controlling Eleonora). If you already control Virion on the field at all, you can't deploy him from the support zone.

3) You can't deploy two units with the same character name whatsoever, correct. You can't deploy Marth if you already control him. You can class change and such though it's fine with that.

so if i can move sophie from rear to front, then she gets +10, and can still attack?

Also, how does General of the Divine Blade, Ike's skills work? I understand the level up system but what about his lv skills? Assuming, i promoted ike from his normal Cost 1 card to that Cost 5 one, it said i need to stack to activate the levels so does this mean i need to "level up" using the exact same card by paying promotion cost? (excluding skills like Lone Heirness, Elinicia's, so by normal means only)

Thanks for the reply by the way.

so if i can move sophie from rear to front, then she gets +10, and can still attack?

Also, how does General of the Divine Blade, Ike's skills work? I understand the level up system but what about his lv skills? Assuming, i promoted ike from his normal Cost 1 card to that Cost 5 one, it said i need to stack to activate the levels so does this mean i need to "level up" using the exact same card by paying promotion cost? (excluding skills like Lone Heirness, Elinicia's, so by normal means only)

Thanks for the reply by the way.

If you move Sophie from rear to front, she gets +10 and can still attack, yes.

LvlS refers to the stacking mechanic which is either done by manually levelling up or growthing with skills like Elincia / Sanaki / Soren or Bastian.

So if it's LvlS3 means you need 3 cards total in the stack -> 2 cards under Ike (the stack includes the top card itself).

LvlS5 - > 5 cards total -> 4 underneath.

LvlS4 can be achieved with General of the divine blade, Ike by starting from Level 1, then promoting to 3/2, then 4/3 and then 5/4.

I've got a question. How long due games usually run? My brother and I just recently started playing the game, and we're finding our games to run easily over an hour long at times. Of course, we're just starting out, so of course it's going to be a bit slow for us as we're still getting use to the skills and everything, but even still, there is rarely ever a match to where we don't reshuffle our entire retreat pile back into our decks. My matches especially last forever when i'm running Akaneian deck, because of my Emperor Hardin/Nyna/Malliesia combo. Is this just the norm or are others experiencing this kind of thing?

Those are fairly slow decks, but when you start out, you have a tendency to play a slower game, especially if you're used to other TCGs. The more you play, the more you get a feel for tempo and aggression, and games should get much shorter. (I think on Lackey, our games tend to be 20~40 minutes depending on deck choices)

Thanks for the quick reply. Our matches are going by fairly quickly now. I think one of my bigger problems was that I was playing much more defensively than I should have. Akaneia does seem pretty slow for the most part too as my games with my Elibe and Tellius decks go by pretty quick for the most part.

I have a couple more quick questions. First of all, let's say I'm using Navarre as my Lord/Main Character for the deck. his level 3 card, "Navarre, Wielder of a Bloody Blade" has a skill which reads,

"Solo Swordsman" / CONT / While you only control this unit and your Main Character, this unit gains 10 attack."

Does this count if he IS the Main Character as well, or does he solely need to be just another unit? I'm assuming it means he can't be the Main Character, right?

And for my other question, it involves the card, "Samto, Navarre Impersonator". He has a skill which reads,

"Lie! " It's a lie!" / SPEC / If you do not control "Samto", you can levelup "Navarre" with this card."

What is even the point of this ability? If I alread have Navarre out on the field, what's the purpose of leveling him up with this Samto card, if this Samto is level 1? Is it simply a case of Samto possibly being the better unit in some situations(like if I have the cards to promote Samto, but not Navarre at the time). And lastly, it's a SPEC skill, so that means I wouldn't have to worry about using up any bonds, right?

Edited by Jagen

Thanks for the quick reply. Our matches are going by fairly quickly now. I think one of my bigger problems was that I was playing much more defensively than I should have. Akaneia does seem pretty slow for the most part too as my games with my Elibe and Tellius decks go by pretty quick for the most part.

I have a couple more quick questions. First of all, let's say I'm using Navarre as my Lord/Main Character for the deck. his level 3 card, "Navarre, Wielder of a Bloody Blade" has a skill which reads,

"Solo Swordsman" / CONT / While you only control this unit and your Main Character, this unit gains 10 attack."

Does this count if he IS the Main Character as well, or does he solely need to be just another unit? I'm assuming it means he can't be the Main Character, right?

And for my other question, it involves the card, "Samto, Navarre Impersonator". He has a skill which reads,

"Lie! " It's a lie!" / SPEC / If you do not control "Samto", you can levelup "Navarre" with this card."

What is even the point of this ability? If I alread have Navarre out on the field, what's the purpose of leveling him up with this Samto card, if this Samto is level 1? Is it simply a case of Samto possibly being the better unit in some situations(like if I have the cards to promote Samto, but not Navarre at the time). And lastly, it's a SPEC skill, so that means I wouldn't have to worry about using up any bonds, right?

Technically speaking, Tellius decks should be taking longer, depending on the way you built it, because it's designed that way.

Solo Swordsman -> It doesn't count while he himself is the main character.

"Lie! It's a lie!" -> The point is that you can place Samto on top of Navarre and have it count as a level up. You still have to pay the usual deployment costs as per normal though.

New player here, i wanted to know if you could use tactians emblem( from robin) to move an opponents MC to backrow? (assuming he is not in combat)

Tactician emblem doesn't state any conditions for moving a unit to the back, so it's fine. You can use it to move a character to the backline.

Hiya! I have a few questions (not sure if they were covered already >< sorry if they were!)

Question 1: Does Diva of Dusk, Azura destroy your own stone units?

(And will they also cause a discard from opponent's hand?)

Question 2: Can Divine Dragon of Embers, Corrin deploy promoted units onto a base unit?

(E.g. Summoning a Promoted Kana onto a base Kana, or even calling a cost 3 Nowi onto cost 1 Nowi?)

Thanks!

Question 1: Does Diva of Dusk, Azura destroy your own stone units?

(And will they also cause a discard from opponent's hand?)

No, Diva of Dusk, Azura can only destroy enemy stone units. I'll rectify this on the wiki to make it more specific, since it doesn't state otherwise.

Question 2: Can Divine Dragon of Embers, Corrin deploy promoted units onto a base unit?

(E.g. Summoning a Promoted Kana onto a base Kana, or even calling a cost 3 Nowi onto cost 1 Nowi?)

No, Corrin only states that you can deploy a unit. Which means you can't play a card on top of something you already control since it would be considered a level up and not a deployment. Refer to Hayseed Blossom, Mozu and Esteemed Queen, Elincia, which both state that you place a card on top of a unit you control and count it as a level up.

Edited by TheVinceKnight

This may be obvious, but when Kurthnaga destroys an enemy unit, can he use his ability to level himself up? The card text on LackeyCCG reads "...you can level up one Fang unit you control with a card from your Retreat", while the SerenesWiki reads "target an allied Fang unit on your field. You may... place it on top. This is considered a Level up". The Lackey descriptions reads like you can include Kurthnaga in your choice of targets on your field, so I'm hoping someone could give me some clarification.

This may be obvious, but when Kurthnaga destroys an enemy unit, can he use his ability to level himself up? The card text on LackeyCCG reads "...you can level up one Fang unit you control with a card from your Retreat", while the SerenesWiki reads "target an allied Fang unit on your field. You may... place it on top. This is considered a Level up". The Lackey descriptions reads like you can include Kurthnaga in your choice of targets on your field, so I'm hoping someone could give me some clarification.

Yes Kurthnaga can level himself up too.

So I searched and couldn't find a direct answer to this question, but If a unit, say Ike: He was promoted in this succession Greenhorn (P03-003HN) -> Ennobled (B03-002N) -> General (S05-001ST). Will the final Ike be able to use the skills of all 3 units?

Does this means that Greenhorn Ike (cost 1) needs to be leveled up from itself, or downgraded from its promotion to use it's LvS 2 skill?

Also quickie: does the designated Lord unit needs to be on the front row all the time or can you safely tuck it away into the back row if you have the freedom?

no, only the topmost card's skills will be available to be used. and yes, usually its a cost1 ike placed on the base cost1 ike again.

you can move the lord back if you want.

I see, that effect of cost1 Ike seems kind useless, from where I see it, since it should be better to hold on to the card for Evasion or Critical hits.

Playing a second Ike1 on your first turn costs you 1 dodge and probably saves you 3 or 4 orbs.

Well, that's assuming Ike is your main character. If I understand the rules correctly, anyone can be the main character. I've never played a match, though, as my cards are in the mail, but I guess it's common practice to gang up on the lord.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey all, sorry if this question's been asked before. I tried searching for it, but it's late, I'm tired, and I'm pretty sure that I won't remember to do this in the morning.

I'm running a blue/green Lucina deck, and because of that there are a couple of ruling questions that I have because of the nuanced differences between level ups and class changes.

The first big one that I have is this. If I deploy a cost 3+ unit with a promotional cost instead of class changing into it and then level it up with the effects of Elincia 1 or a similar effect, will the unit in question count as a class changed unit for the purposes of set 4 Lucina's passive buff? I know that a levelled up unit activates any class change skills that it may have, but sometimes games can have super weird rulings that can mess up unintended combos and synergies.

The second is more of a general level up clarification rather than a question. I just want to make sure that I know my stuff before I take a deck that features level up mechanics front and center to the table. Is any action that increases the number of cards in a character's stack a level up? I know that Elincia 5's ability is counted as a class change if you use her to play a card with a promotion cost, but are regular class changes also considered level ups? If I were to class change Lucina into her set 4 level 4 for instance, would that then trigger effects like ST Elincia's mini rally and Bastion 4's draw?

I really do like the idea of class changes and level ups being two different ways to look at and use the same mechanic, but it does seem like the line between them gets really, really blurry. Any clarification would be super helpful.