Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

2 hours ago, Alger said:

Hi, so I've been playing this game with a few friends now for over a year. I finally forced myself to make an account on here and have been reading through the thread while I was impatiently waiting for my series 8 boxes. Yesterday I was laying around and watched one of Shadowdrifter's youtube videos I hadn't notice before about translation errors. One of the problems he mentioned was how some cards affect all your allies, while some affect all other allies. He specifically mentioned the 5/4 chrom's rally skill or whatever it's called, which gives chrom the +30 as well (which we'd never done for any of the lords rallies before) 

1) Do all lords rallies include them under the +30? Even Ike? (which would only matter if you danced cause he has to untap)

2) What about male Robin?

3) what about the new 5/4 Chrom with "all class changed allies"? 

4) Would it be possible for all the descriptions on the wiki to updated? I was thinking that instead of using allies maybe use all units you control (Chrom?) or all lance units you control (Cordelia), etc as opposed to all other ally units you control or all other flying units you control (Cherche)? It just is kind of confusing having the word allies for both conditions, though i understand that is more of the literal translation.

Also thank you all so much for creating and maintaining that wiki, without which my friends and I would be completely incapable of playing what is now basically our favorite game. If there was anything I could do to help I would love to, however I am not very tech-savvy and do not know japanese, so I'm not sure what hep I'd be able to offer. Thanks again.

In Cipher, if an effect happens on your side of the field, it'll say one of two things

All OTHER allies

or ALL allies. In Ike's case, his 5c card states " [Send 1 “Ike” From Your Hand to the Retreat Zone] When this unit defeats an enemy unit in battle, you may pay the cost; and if you do, until the end of this turn, all ally units gain 30 attack.

So in this case, until the end of the turn after this effect is activated, ALL ally units on the field gain 30 attack. In the new Exalt Chrom's case, 

All class changed allies gain 10 attack until the end of this turn.

This means Chrom also gains +10 attack until the end of that turn.

A good example of the other scenario would be Lucina's new 3 cost card.

"Guidance of the Brand" CONT This unit gains 10 attack for every other Class Changed ally you control. (Class Change Skill: This ability does not take effect unless this unit was Class Changed.)

If Lucina is the only unit on the field for you, she would gain 0 attack even if she is class changed, because she only gains 10 attack for each OTHER CC'd ally on the field.

In Robin's case, his Rally Spectrum effect would increase ALL ally units attack by 10 until the end of that turn.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, Alger said:

4) Would it be possible for all the descriptions on the wiki to updated? I was thinking that instead of using allies maybe use all units you control (Chrom?) or all lance units you control (Cordelia), etc as opposed to all other ally units you control or all other flying units you control (Cherche)? It just is kind of confusing having the word allies for both conditions, though i understand that is more of the literal translation.

Also thank you all so much for creating and maintaining that wiki, without which my friends and I would be completely incapable of playing what is now basically our favorite game. If there was anything I could do to help I would love to, however I am not very tech-savvy and do not know japanese, so I'm not sure what hep I'd be able to offer. Thanks again.

>asks if wiki articles can be edited
>then says that they would like to help out for the wiki, but says that they can't, because they can't into moon

S u s p i c i o u s

19 hours ago, Gulcasa766 said:

or ALL allies. In Ike's case, his 5c card states " [Send 1 “Ike” From Your Hand to the Retreat Zone] When this unit defeats an enemy unit in battle, you may pay the cost; and if you do, until the end of this turn, all ally units gain 30 attack.

So in this case, until the end of the turn after this effect is activated, ALL ally units on the field gain 30 attack. In the new Exalt Chrom's case, 

All class changed allies gain 10 attack until the end of this turn.

This means Chrom also gains +10 attack until the end of that turn.

A good example of the other scenario would be Lucina's new 3 cost card.

"Guidance of the Brand" CONT This unit gains 10 attack for every other Class Changed ally you control. (Class Change Skill: This ability does not take effect unless this unit was Class Changed.)

If Lucina is the only unit on the field for you, she would gain 0 attack even if she is class changed, because she only gains 10 attack for each OTHER CC'd ally on the field.

In Robin's case, his Rally Spectrum effect would increase ALL ally units attack by 10 until the end of that turn.

Alright, I don't know why it took us so long to figure that all out. I still think that it is confusing having allies on both descriptions, but oh well. Thanks!

5 hours ago, ScarletFlame said:

>asks if wiki articles can be edited
>then says that they would like to help out for the wiki, but says that they can't, because they can't into moon

S u s p i c i o u s

I'm a moron

Totally suspicious. Not like I pointed out that I'm not tech savvy or anything. I know wikipedia pages can be edited, though I've never done it, but didn't realize that must be what the wiki part means. 

Even if I had known I wouldn't just log on out of the blue and start rewriting other people's stuff. Also you aren't a moron! Don't get too down on yourself

(shots fired)

Even I don't know much in terms of Japanese but I'm still handling most of the Wiki. 
Not looking for too much help right now, but perhaps another day.

On 3/28/2017 at 9:17 PM, Alger said:

Alright, I don't know why it took us so long to figure that all out. I still think that it is confusing having allies on both descriptions, but oh well. Thanks!

Totally suspicious. Not like I pointed out that I'm not tech savvy or anything. I know wikipedia pages can be edited, though I've never done it, but didn't realize that must be what the wiki part means. 

Even if I had known I wouldn't just log on out of the blue and start rewriting other people's stuff. Also you aren't a moron! Don't get too down on yourself

(shots fired)

>needing to be tech savvy to edit a wiki with templates
>editing quotes
>trying to play it off

You literally couldn't dig yourself into a deeper hole. It takes like, what, a minute or two to understand what to do? Sure, you can make mistakes sometimes, but that's why we have a team. We help each other out, and point out typoes here and there.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, I've some questions about the different area on the field, could you help me ? 

About Retreat Area and Support area, a card destroyed after a battle goes to the retreat area, and a support goes to the support area. When you end your deck, you shuffle the retreat to make your deck. What about the support area ? (And i've heard someone who's speaking about discard area ??? Discarded card goes in the retreat no ?)  Currently when I play with my friends, the support goes in the same place that the defeated unit.. afe we wrong ?

Thanks!

edit : I've find the answer to my question.. "Both players send the support card used for this battle to the retreat area"     a youtube video make me doubt sorry

Edited by Calyurso

4 hours ago, Calyurso said:

Hi guys, I've some questions about the different area on the field, could you help me ? 

About Retreat Area and Support area, a card destroyed after a battle goes to the retreat area, and a support goes to the support area. When you end your deck, you shuffle the retreat to make your deck. What about the support area ? (And i've heard someone who's speaking about discard area ??? Discarded card goes in the retreat no ?)  Currently when I play with my friends, the support goes in the same place that the defeated unit.. afe we wrong ?

Thanks!

edit : I've find the answer to my question.. "Both players send the support card used for this battle to the retreat area"     a youtube video make me doubt sorry

Well yeah -- But when your deck gets emptied, it takes priority over what you do next. Even when you place your next support into the support zone, it takes priority so your support will go to the NEW retreat afterwards.

• 2 months later...
On 4/15/2015 at 10:42 PM, Dan said:

A more comprehensive and recently-updated version of the FE Cipher Rules can be found on the FE Cipher Wiki here.

The Play Area for each player:
ZKvd1G5.png

The card:
ayPpj4M.png

To begin the game:

Each player places his/her Lord facedown in the Front Line

Players decide (by Rock/Paper/Scissors, flipping a coin, rolling a die, etc.) who will go first

Each player draws a hand of 6 cards.

Each player has a chance to Mulligan, which means to return all cards from his/her hand to the deck and shuffle it, then draw a new hand of 6 cards

Next each player places the top 5 cards of his/her deck into the Orb Area, facedown.

Both players flip their Lords face-up simultaneously and the game begins, starting with the player who it was determined earlier would be going first.

Turn Structure:

Opening Phase - Draw one card and "untap" all characters

Bond Phase - Place one card from your hand into the Bond Area

Deployment Phase - Play cards or Class Change

Action Phase - Attack, Move, and use Skills

End Phase - Your turn ends and the opponent's begins

Opening Phase, Bond Phase, and End Phase are automatic; they are always exactly the same.

Deployment Phase:

Each card has a Cost in the circle in the top left corner. The Cost is what it takes to put a card into the Battlefield Area from your hand. A Cost is a number as well as a color. This post will talk about monocolor decks. Some information about multicolor decks will be at the end. Each card in your Bond Area counts for 1 Cost of the same color. If there are 5 Blue cards in your Bond Area, you can play 1 Blue card with Cost 5, or 5 Blue cards with Cost 1, or 1 Blue card with Cost 2 and 1 Blue card with Cost 3, etc. You can also play 1 Blue card of Cost 3 and nothing else. You do not have to use all of your Bond cards each turn. (As far as I know, Bond cards do not go away, they continue to pile up each turn.)

To the left of the Class box is another box that will say if the card is a basic (unpromoted, 下級職) Unit, or a Promoted (上級職) Unit. Promoted Units have a normal Cost as well as a Promotion Cost in a smaller circle beneath the normal Cost. They can be Deployed regularly for their normal Cost, or if a basic Unit with the same name is already in the Battlefield Area, they can be deployed by paying the Promotion Cost instead. In this case the Promoted Unit will be placed on top of the basic Unit it is Promoting from. This is also how Class Changing works. If you Change Classes, draw one card from the deck.

Action Phase:

Attacking:

The attacking player chooses Attackers.

The attacking player chooses targets for each Attacker. The targets must be within the Attackers' Ranges. Range is the number in the smaller box, just to the right of the bottom left circled number.

Each Unit's Attack Power is the number in the bottom left circle. Each card's Support Power is the number in the bottom right circle.

A Critical Attack can be performed during the Attack by discarding a card of the same name as your Attacker to double your Attacker's Attack Power. It is currently unclear whether it must be exactly the same card or if a different class version of the character can also be used. (It seems like it probably has to be the same exact card because the page this information comes from normally uses 名前 for name when talking about Class Change, but uses 名称 when talking about Critical Attacks.)

There is also something called "God Speed Evasion" that works similarly to Critical Attacks. The defending player may discard a card of the same name as the Defender. In this case, however, the Attack Powers do not matter, the attack is simply nullified as if it had not happened and both characters are safe.

Each player turns over the top card of his/her deck and puts it into the Support Area simultaneously. Add the Support Power to the Attacker's or Defender's Attack Power. Support Skills can be used at this time. Now compare the Total Attack Power of the Attacker to that of the Defender.

If the attacker has a higher Total Attack Power or if it is equal to that of the Defender, the Defender is destroyed, and the card is moved to the Discard Pile.

If the Defender that would be destroyed is the defending player's Lord, instead of destroying it the defending player chooses a card from the Orb Area and puts it into his/her hand. If there are no cards left in the Orb Area (whether before or after putting one into the hand is not clear) the Lord is defeated and the attacking player wins.

If the Defender's Total Attack Power is higher than the Attacker's, then neither is destroyed and both are safe.

An Attacker can never be destroyed as a result of combat, but a Defender may be.

If the Front Line becomes completely empty, all Rear Guard characters are moved to the Front Line. This is called a March.

Any Movement or Skill use also occurs during this Phase. When a Unit is moved, it is tapped, or turned 90º clockwise to signify that it cannot be used for anything else. This may also happen when a Unit attacks or uses a skill, it's not clear at this time.

After the Action Phase completes, the game moves to the End Phase and the next player's turn begins. Players alternate turns until one player's Lord is defeated and the other player wins.

Notes:
*Tapping means to turn card 90º clockwise to signify that it cannot be used for anything else. It is still unclear exactly when it's used. It is probably necessary to tap Units when attacking or using some Skills as well as after moving them.

A lot of questions are answered in the first few pages here.

Also read this post where FutureKnightX lists many of the rules that have been added and the post 2 posts later.

I just wanted to ask what happens to Bonds when they are used, are they used up for good?

Question,

(I've tried searching a couple of different places so sorry in advance if this is mentioned elsewhere)

What happens when a Xander or Ryoma take 2 orbs because of their ability and you draw a "Attack Support.png "Emblem of Heroism" any orbs that the unit destroys by battle becomes 2."

For Example

Xander attacks
“Knight of Nohr” CONT While your opponent has 4 or more Orbs, this unit's attacks destroy 2 orbs as a result of battle. This skill does not take effect if you have any face-up Bonds that are not Black cards.

supported by an "Emblem of Heroism" any orbs that the unit destroys by battle becomes 2."

how many orbs are taken. Similar question for Ryoma.

13 hours ago, ManNamedDan said:

Question,

(I've tried searching a couple of different places so sorry in advance if this is mentioned elsewhere)

What happens when a Xander or Ryoma take 2 orbs because of their ability and you draw a "Attack Support.png "Emblem of Heroism" any orbs that the unit destroys by battle becomes 2."

For Example

Xander attacks
“Knight of Nohr” CONT While your opponent has 4 or more Orbs, this unit's attacks destroy 2 orbs as a result of battle. This skill does not take effect if you have any face-up Bonds that are not Black cards.

supported by an "Emblem of Heroism" any orbs that the unit destroys by battle becomes 2."

how many orbs are taken. Similar question for Ryoma.

It still ends up being two. Hero Emblem only makes your attack become able to break two orbs instead. Two overwriten by two... you get the point.

Hi ! I've got more questions again ! 

With Heroic Inherithor of the Blaze, Eliwood; his Skill Rallying the Flames: by flipping 2 bonds, he can deploy his support if the support as succed. If the support is a promoted card and the unpromoted is on the play, is it possible to deploy the support and class change ?

(By the way, failing a support is only possible if a character support himself or by the effect of a skill, right ?)

In the Green card:

with Sanaki, Begnion Emperess, her skill Supreme Ennoblement, it only works on the first card you deploy in the turn ? (I'm sure because it's an Auto Skill and not an Act , and Once per turn, so if you don't use it on the first deployement you can't then..)

With Caineghis skill, deployement cost reduced by one also work for the classe change ?

Thank you ! 

1 hour ago, Calyurso said:

Hi ! I've got more questions again ! 

With Heroic Inherithor of the Blaze, Eliwood; his Skill Rallying the Flames: by flipping 2 bonds, he can deploy his support if the support as succed. If the support is a promoted card and the unpromoted is on the play, is it possible to deploy the support and class change ?

(By the way, failing a support is only possible if a character support himself or by the effect of a skill, right ?)

In the Green card:

with Sanaki, Begnion Emperess, her skill Supreme Ennoblement, it only works on the first card you deploy in the turn ? (I'm sure because it's an Auto Skill and not an Act , and Once per turn, so if you don't use it on the first deployement you can't then..)

With Caineghis skill, deployement cost reduced by one also work for the classe change ?

Thank you ! 

For Eliwood, you can't deploy the unit straight out if the unit is already on the field, Eliwood only states deploy, not class change. You can't class change the unit via this skill.

Failing would mean if Eliwood supported himself yes.

Sanaki says you MAY select any number of cards and place it under a Green ally, so you may do it on any ally you place down, doesn't have to be the first one.

Caineghis only works on DEPLOYMENT COST, the cost underneath is a CLASS CHANGE cost.

Hope that helps.

I have a question about 2 card ability's, would the Canas 3/2 prevent Zephiels abilitys from procking even though Canas's text reads "auto ability's that can activate at the start of your tun cant." Zephiels abilitys happen when declaring an attack, and after combat, neither are at the start of the turn... also, would it prevent Henrys mire from working?

Just wanting clarification

Edited by Nanashi

15 hours ago, Nanashi said:

I have a question about 2 card ability's, would the Canas 3/2 prevent Zephiels abilitys from procking even though Canas's text reads "auto ability's that can activate at the start of your tun cant." Zephiels abilitys happen when declaring an attack, and after combat, neither are at the start of the turn... also, would it prevent Henrys mire from working?

Alright, let's look at the skills, shall we?

Heir to the Hermit, Canas
Forbidden Magic (CONT) Any AUTO skills that can trigger at the start of a player's turn cannot be activated.

King of Bern, Zephiel
King's Whirlwind (AUTO) [Flip 2 Bonds] When this card attacks, you may pay the cost: Until the end of this battle, this card gains the following skill "(CONT) Your opponent must discard 2 cards with the same name instead of 1 to declare a Godspeed Evasion."
Liberate the World (AUTO) When this card destroys a unit by battle, if this card had used "King's Whirlwind" this turn, the opponent must choose a card in their hand, and discard it.

Smiling Sorcerer, Henry
Mire (AUTO) When a unit you control Class Changes, both players must discard a card.

Point to me where the timing in Zephiel and Henry's AUTO Skills indicate that it is "start of turn", making it affected by Forbidden Magic.

5 hours ago, ScarletFlame said:

Alright, let's look at the skills, shall we?

Heir to the Hermit, Canas
Forbidden Magic (CONT) Any AUTO skills that can trigger at the start of a player's turn cannot be activated.

King of Bern, Zephiel
King's Whirlwind (AUTO) [Flip 2 Bonds] When this card attacks, you may pay the cost: Until the end of this battle, this card gains the following skill "(CONT) Your opponent must discard 2 cards with the same name instead of 1 to declare a Godspeed Evasion."
Liberate the World (AUTO) When this card destroys a unit by battle, if this card had used "King's Whirlwind" this turn, the opponent must choose a card in their hand, and discard it.

Smiling Sorcerer, Henry
Mire (AUTO) When a unit you control Class Changes, both players must discard a card.

Point to me where the timing in Zephiel and Henry's AUTO Skills indicate that it is "start of turn", making it affected by Forbidden Magic.

Stop that.

20 hours ago, Nanashi said:

tl;dr Canas only prevents AUTO effects that activate at the start of a turn. Zephiel and Henry don't activate at the start of the turn.

The five cost versions of Alm and Celica have a type of ability called a "Hero Skill". What is a "Hero Skill", exactly? In general terms, that is. How do they function?

1 hour ago, RedEyedDrake said:

The five cost versions of Alm and Celica have a type of ability called a "Hero Skill". What is a "Hero Skill", exactly? In general terms, that is. How do they function?

You place the Lord / Main Character marker under your current Red Lord / Main Character and put it under Alm / Celica. That's it. Basically as its stated, changes the Main Character. That means the previous one can now die and you only take orbs / damage from Alm / Celica being destroyed.

1 hour ago, TheVinceKnight said:

You place the Lord / Main Character marker under your current Red Lord / Main Character and put it under Alm / Celica. That's it. Basically as its stated, changes the Main Character. That means the previous one can now die and you only take orbs / damage from Alm / Celica being destroyed.

I wasn't asking about Alm and Celica's ability specifically, though. I'm asking about how all Hero Skills function. Lv Skills, for example, function by counting the number of cards in a given stack of cards. How do Hero Skills IN GENERAL work? Or was that not defined yet?

Edited by RedEyedDrake

1 minute ago, RedEyedDrake said:

I wasn't asking about Alm and Celica's ability specifically, though. I'm asking about how all Hero Skills function. Lv Skills, for example, function by counting the number of cards in a given stack of cards. How do Hero Skills IN GENERAL work? Or was that not defined yet?

The only guys with Hero Skill are Alm and Celica, hence why I'm talking about them in general. I don't think they're defined otherwise but it'll probably be just simply swapping the current MC with a unit that uses the Hero Skill.

• 4 weeks later...

Question,
Cards with

Skill 1 "Knife Training" SPEC This unit gains the Shuriken affinity and 1-2 range.

Does the skill Knife Training only take place once the card is actually on the field? Or is it always considered a ninja?

For example...

Could you use a card with Knife training for Garbed in Glory Saizo's skill?
When pulling as support does it count as a ninja for Kaze's skill?

I think I know the answer to this, but I hope I'm wrong. ;)

52 minutes ago, ManNamedDan said:

Does the skill Knife Training only take place once the card is actually on the field? Or is it always considered a ninja?

Special Skills, such as the "Knife Training" Skill that the three butlers possess, are always active, or can be activated outside of the field.

Consider also the "Name of the Hero-King" Skill that various Field Cost 1 Lucina cards possess. Those cards are always treated as Marth, whether in your Support Area, your hand, deck, or Retreat.