Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

2 hours ago, CuanV said:

Hello, I have some questions:
1) Is it possible to play an unpromoted card over another card of the same cost?
I mean, if I have the B03-003HN cost 1 Ike, can I play another one on top of him to to get his LvS2 ability?
2) Same as above but with units that have a promotion cost, like the B02-082N cost 3/2 Gunter.
2.1) Am I allowed to draw a card if I do this?
3) If I use an ability tha allows me to deploy an unit, like the B10-001SR cost 5/4 Leif, And I already have an unpromoted copy of one of the cards I want to deploy on the field, can I place it on top and perform a class change? or am I simply not allowed to play that card?

Thanks for your time!

1) Yes, it's possible. What you're describing is called leveling up. With that Ike card, there's no other way to make use of his first skill but by placing another copy of that same card on top to increase his stack.
2) The level up mechanic works on any card, doesn't matter if they're promoted or lack any LvS Skills. Leveling up Gunter into himself would be pointless since he doesn't have any skills to benefit from it, but Gunter also happens to be a special case because can be leveled up into black Anankos and enable the latter to use his third skill more than once per turn.
2.1) No, you never draw a card from leveling up. Cards are only drawn when the class change (promotion) cost is paid, but leveling up is always paid with the regular field cost.
3) You cannot perform promotions from deployment skill effects. Deploying and promoting are two separate mechanics and are not interchangeable. Deploying refers to the act of fielding a unit who isn't already being played, while promoting refers to the act of ascending a unit who has already been fielded and in play. Leif's first skill doesn't let you promote anyone because it specifically says it's used to deploy. If you want to promote an ally using a card from your retreat, you would use someone like Chrom instead of Leif because Chrom lets you do that.

I hope this helps! If there's anything you still don't understand or are still curious about, feel free to inquire for more.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi,

So I wanted to clarify two questions I had with cipher at the current moment. First I have another question another Geoffery buffing effect for the frontline. If I were to buff a bunch of people in the front line, then if I were to move someone into the frontline from the backline, would they still get the buff from Geoffery's skill? Another question I had was the exact definition of "destroying an orb". Whenever you destroy an orb, do you take it into your hand(for example Robin's skill)?

4 hours ago, PsychoticStorm8 said:

Hi,

So I wanted to clarify two questions I had with cipher at the current moment. First I have another question another Geoffery buffing effect for the frontline. If I were to buff a bunch of people in the front line, then if I were to move someone into the frontline from the backline, would they still get the buff from Geoffery's skill? Another question I had was the exact definition of "destroying an orb". Whenever you destroy an orb, do you take it into your hand(for example Robin's skill)?

About Geoffrey, the answer is yes. The way it's supposed to work is that any ally who is currently on the front line receives a +10 buff for each other ally who was leveled up or grown that turn. So if an ally is on the front line or is moved to the front line, they will carry the buff, and if an ally is in the rear or is moved to the rear, they will not carry the buff. All buffs granted from this skill stop being applied at the end of the turn (or while Geoffrey is no longer in play), and the skill will only grant new buffs if you level up or growth your allies again on your next turn.

Orb destruction is always answered by adding the orb to the hand. The only way a destroyed orb can go from anywhere but to the hand is if there is a skill involved that specifically says it goes elsewhere. In addition, using a skill that self-inflicts damage on the leader (main character) as part of its cost, like one the cost 3 black Felicia has, is also another way for the game to ask the player to take an orb.

Hope this helps!

Question,

I've built a White/Black Ninja themed deck and I use Kaze as my MC. Kaze's cost 1 is a paltry 30 attack. My question concerns his skill, Final duty, can it apply to himself? I know the description says ally, but I want to make. sure.

Final Duty AUTO Once Per Turn When this unit is destroyed by an enemy attack, select an ally. This turn, that ally gains +20 attack.

On 11/8/2017 at 11:59 AM, ManNamedDan said:

Question,

I've built a White/Black Ninja themed deck and I use Kaze as my MC. Kaze's cost 1 is a paltry 30 attack. My question concerns his skill, Final duty, can it apply to himself? I know the description says ally, but I want to make. sure.

Final Duty AUTO Once Per Turn When this unit is destroyed by an enemy attack, select an ally. This turn, that ally gains +20 attack.

Yes, Kaze can target himself with that skill. Normally this would be pointless to do because Kaze would already be sent to the retreat as a result of being destroyed, but the +20 buff would be sustained on Kaze if he's your leader since he would remain on the battlefield in that case. So feel free to use the skill on himself if you want him buffed for the rest of the opponent's turn.

Edited by Prince of Iris

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Poimagic said:

I have a question. When is the game supposed to release in America? I want to now as this game looks interesting.

There aren't any known plans to officially release the FE Cipher TCG outside of Japan at this time. You can acquire the Japanese cards through special online stores or other people on this site who offer their own, or play the game in English through unofficial translations and simulators, but we there's been no news as to when or even if the card game will get an English release.

28 minutes ago, Prince of Iris said:

There aren't any known plans to officially release the FE Cipher TCG outside of Japan at this time. You can acquire the Japanese cards through special online stores or other people on this site who offer their own, or play the game in English through unofficial translations and simulators, but we there's been no news as to when or even if the card game will get an English release.

Oh, thats sad. Hopefully, it releases in America soon. I would play on simulators, but from what I can tell, it's all manual and I am bad at manual things as I forget things easily.

Hey guys I have a question concerning Tinni 3/2. 

Her effect is: "Bolt of Wrath" CONT You may discard any Tome card in your Bond Area instead of discarding a "Tinni" card from your hand when performing a Critical Hit for this unit.

When it says "any tome card in your Bond Area", does that include face down tome cards? 

3 hours ago, 341 said:

Hey guys I have a question concerning Tinni 3/2. 

Her effect is: "Bolt of Wrath" CONT You may discard any Tome card in your Bond Area instead of discarding a "Tinni" card from your hand when performing a Critical Hit for this unit.

When it says "any tome card in your Bond Area", does that include face down tome cards? 

No, face-down cards in your Bond Area count as if they have no attributes (including colour, affinities like horse / flying and weapon type).

Hi, i've got questions about Holy War Flag's rules.

It's about the skills that can exchange bond, like Deirdre or Julia's skill. Deirdre's skill allow to send a card from your bond to the retreat and then from your bond to the retreat. Can I sent an ultimate Seliph 5/4 from my bond to the retreat and then take back this card (in the purpose to unflip a bond)?

And if I send a tapped bond to the retreat or my hand, is the bond I put back tapped or I can play it untapped ( and deploy more card?)

And last question, for exemple I have Ares 4/3 as MC, if I play Base Seliph in my bond (with the Bond Skill : This card name is treated as your MC) I can use the skill of Ares (flip1 bond and add a bond face down) ? 

Thank you!

21 minutes ago, Calyurso said:

Hi, i've got questions about Holy War Flag's rules.

It's about the skills that can exchange bond, like Deirdre or Julia's skill. Deirdre's skill allow to send a card from your bond to the retreat and then from your bond to the retreat. Can I sent an ultimate Seliph 5/4 from my bond to the retreat and then take back this card (in the purpose to unflip a bond)?

And if I send a tapped bond to the retreat or my hand, is the bond I put back tapped or I can play it untapped ( and deploy more card?)

And last question, for exemple I have Ares 4/3 as MC, if I play Base Seliph in my bond (with the Bond Skill : This card name is treated as your MC) I can use the skill of Ares (flip1 bond and add a bond face down) ? 

Thank you!

Deirdre's skill requires you to place a card from Retreat first, then send a bond to the retreat afterwards.

If you mean tapping bonds as in using it to count as deployment, that's only something players use as an indicator to determine how much bonds they have to use for deployment there are remaining for the turn. You're not required to tap bonds, note that the cost of the units you deploy can't exceed the amount of bonds you have. 
For your case though, if there's a case where you send a bond to the retreat or back to hand before your deployment phase, you can deploy more I guess.

You can use Ares' skill on placing Seliph into your Bond Area yes.

18 hours ago, TheVinceKnight said:

For your case though, if there's a case where you send a bond to the retreat or back to hand before your deployment phase, you can deploy more I guess.

Following up on this, you COULD, on some occasions, use Deirdre or Julia's skill to replace your Bonds with those of other factions, letting you deploy other things.

Hey guys, question but Larcei's R skill

"Polar Astra" ACT [ Flip 2 Bonds ] Untap this unit. This skill cannot be activated unless this unit's attack is at least 100.

If she achieves 100 attack during the support (i.e. 30 support from flyer) can the skill be activated even though it's during a battle? 

3 hours ago, TheRJKid said:

Hey guys, question but Larcei's R skill

"Polar Astra" ACT [ Flip 2 Bonds ] Untap this unit. This skill cannot be activated unless this unit's attack is at least 100.

If she achieves 100 attack during the support (i.e. 30 support from flyer) can the skill be activated even though it's during a battle? 

The answer is no. This is for two reasons.

The first reason is because the value of a card's power (aka attack) is treated independently from the combined strength that's summed together with the aforementioned value and an ally's aid (their support power), while Larcei's second skill is only supposed to check for the initial value. When that description says "attack", they really mean that specific value from the individual card and not whatever you gain during combat with another card. You would have to rely on skills outside of combat to buff Larcei's power to 100, such as her first skill, and be able to activate her second skill.

The other reason is because it's an Act skill, meaning it can only be manually activated outside of combat, therefore any combat buffs are irrelevant due to their timing as Larcei wouldn't even have them anymore when you'd be able to use her second skill. As long as Larcei's power is currently 100 or above outside of combat during your turn, you can activate her second skill, and the effect will remain for the rest of the turn even if her power is reduced below 100 after the fact.

Hey guys, I am wondering about the timing of the effect of Randal "B05-049HN" in combination with the dark mage emblem. 

"There's still one more." CONT Apply the Support Skill of the card supporting this unit twice.

What if my opponent has 5 cards in hand and Randal attacks with a dark mage emblem. Will that force my opponent to discard 2 cards or does the emblem resolve first and then a second time (rechecking the condition)? 

3 hours ago, 341 said:

Hey guys, I am wondering about the timing of the effect of Randal "B05-049HN" in combination with the dark mage emblem. 

"There's still one more." CONT Apply the Support Skill of the card supporting this unit twice.

What if my opponent has 5 cards in hand and Randal attacks with a dark mage emblem. Will that force my opponent to discard 2 cards or does the emblem resolve first and then a second time (rechecking the condition)? 

It'll resolve first and then recheck the condition. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can units that have abilities like the first one of the Clair from set 11 use said abilities to tap themselves? As in, in this context, does "Tap 1 (X) ally" mean "Tap 1 untapped (X) unit that you have out" or "Tap 1 untapped (X) unit that you have out other than this card"? If the unit with such an ability itself fits the required criteria then can it apply said ability to itself or not?

Edited by RedEyedDrake

3 hours ago, RedEyedDrake said:

Can units that have abilities like the first one of the Clair from set 11 use said abilities to tap themselves? As in, in this context, does "Tap 1 (X) ally" mean "Tap 1 untapped (X) unit that you have out" or "Tap 1 untapped (X) unit that you have out other than this card"? If the unit with such an ability itself fits the required criteria then can it apply said ability to itself or not?

Yes, because in the TCG, the term ally simply refers to a unit you control. If a skill just says to do something to an ally (tapping, moving, destroying, etc.), it can include the unit using the skill unless the skill specifies that it has to be an other ally.

So in the case of Clair, she can in fact tap herself for her first skill, then immediately trigger her second skill to untap herself, allowing her to follow up with another action.

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't know where else to post this but since this is technically said to be a "Q&A" topic rather than a "gameplay related Q&A" topic...yeah.

In any case, first of, I was wondering how complete is the Cipher wiki on the subject of various promos? Because if it has a bunch missing anyway then another one being missing is something that the wiki mods might actually be aware of and thus there is no need to point something like this out. However, if the wiki usually does try to list every single promo available then pointing out one that seemingly got overlooked seems entirely appropriate.

Assuming the latter, I'd like to point out that the version of the cost 1 Alm from back in set 9 (a.k.a. "Ram Village Boy, Alm") that came as a promo with the OST discs for Shadows of Valentia is still not listed on the wiki after all this time. As in, there should be a total of six different variants of that card listed (at least as far as I am aware) rather than only five.

On a more general note, and for future reference, which topic should one use to point out what seems to be mistakes in regards to the wiki, anyway?

Back to the subject of rules, though, here's a question. Does flipping your main character face up at the start of the game count as deploying said character? Given what has been said about the cost 3/2 Clair for set 11 being able to tap herself as the cost for her own ability, I'm asking this due to one of the abilities of the cost 1 (gray) Marth from set 11. Once you flip him face up, would you then have the option to immediately move him to the backline, should you want to do so?

And while we are on the subject, a unit that previously wasn't the main character becoming treated as a main character (or the other way around, one that was the main character losing said status) also doesn't count as that unit "being deployed", right?

Edited by RedEyedDrake

Generally the wiki should have most/all cards listed, but this is a fair enough place to point out missing things. If you're on the Cipher Discord, you can also ping the Wiki Worker role. Although I have wiki access, the fancy table flippy things for alternate cards is beyond my wiki coding knowledge, so I'll have to wait for someone else to add it in. >_>

5 hours ago, RedEyedDrake said:

Back to the subject of rules, though, here's a question. Does flipping your main character face up at the start of the game count as deploying said character? Given what has been said about the cost 3/2 Clair for set 11 being able to tap herself as the cost for her own ability, I'm asking this due to one of the abilities of the cost 1 (gray) Marth from set 11. Once you flip him face up, would you then have the option to immediately move him to the backline, should you want to do so?

And while we are on the subject, a unit that previously wasn't the main character becoming treated as a main character (or the other way around, one that was the main character losing said status) also doesn't count as that unit "being deployed", right?

Deploying is a mechanic which specifically means sending a unit from another area (in other words your hand, retreat, bonds, orbs, or deck) directly to the battlefield, so skill effects which are triggered by deploying cannot be activated if you were to hypothetically flip an ally face up on the battlefield, which isn't even possible during a game as there are currently no skills in the TCG that flip allies. Because of this, the flip to reveal the leaders at the start of the game can never trigger any skill. So if you start a game with the new cost 1 Marth as your leader, he is actually never able use his first skill unless you were to use Rowan or Lianna to switch his status as leader and send him back to hand, then deploy him to the battlefield afterwards to trigger it.

The effects of Hero Skills, which change the assigned leader between already deployed allies, also do not count as deploying, as no unit is actually being deployed from anywhere to the battlefield when they are used. The key to identifying what counts as deploying in the TCG is whether or not a new unit is being added in play. If this isn't happening, then it isn't a deployment.

Edited by Prince of Iris

6 hours ago, RedEyedDrake said:

In any case, first of, I was wondering how complete is the Cipher wiki on the subject of various promos? Because if it has a bunch missing anyway then another one being missing is something that the wiki mods might actually be aware of and thus there is no need to point something like this out. However, if the wiki usually does try to list every single promo available then pointing out one that seemingly got overlooked seems entirely appropriate.

The Wiki itself does intend to be a complete resource, and is mostly missing a lot of details / a lot of minor things in many different places. If you need to make a list about errors, send me a message. Me (basically the only editor) just completely forgot that this Alm promo existed so thanks for said mention. I don't expect to be editing the wiki unless it's an official announcement or like every few months when series booster cards are revealed, not the cards that are revealed between them (if any are revealed at all).

So, how do you play this game? I've read on how to play, but I still don't understand how to play.

Another question, I wanted to attempt a deck build, one based around Erika as the main. What would be ideal cards for said deck?