Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

Thanks a lot again for respond me! I now well understand those things!

I'm trying to do decks, and sometimes skills are hard to understand, thanks for respond me!

Also there are still things I don't understand that I saw on some skills like:

-Silque's skill Absolve CONT This unit cannot be destroyed by a skill's cost or effect.

What is meant by "skill's cost or effect?"

-And also, when my units attack one of my ally, I don't had to put a card  on the support area for those units?

If, for example, my Tobin attack my ally Gray, I don't have to use supports for them?

Well, I think that's all for the moment, thank you again :D!

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

20 hours ago, FireFenrir30 said:

-Silque's skill Absolve CONT This unit cannot be destroyed by a skill's cost or effect.

What is meant by "skill's cost or effect?"

There are skills in Cipher that have requirements to destroy an ally as a cost, and you can't select Silque as a target to destroy for that cost if she can't be destroyed. 
There are also skills that your opponent can use against you such as destroy an enemy, which can be used to target Silque, but she won't get destroyed by it.

20 hours ago, FireFenrir30 said:

-And also, when my units attack one of my ally, I don't had to put a card  on the support area for those units?

If, for example, my Tobin attack my ally Gray, I don't have to use supports for them?

You can't attack your own allies in Cipher. Only enemies can attack your units.

8 hours ago, TheVinceKnight said:

There are skills in Cipher that have requirements to destroy an ally as a cost, and you can't select Silque as a target to destroy for that cost if she can't be destroyed. 
There are also skills that your opponent can use against you such as destroy an enemy, which can be used to target Silque, but she won't get destroyed by it.

Thanks for explain me this! I think this Silque's skill don't function if my opponent use a skill that grants +20? This will destroy my Silque isn't it?

8 hours ago, TheVinceKnight said:

You can't attack your own allies in Cipher. Only enemies can attack your units

Ah? But for Berkut's skill (Kriemhild ACT Once Per Turn [Destroy another untapped ally] Until the end of your opponent's next turn, this unit gains +10 attack and this unit's range becomes 1-3. ) I have to destroy an untaped ally,as it's said, if I want this skill to function...

Edited by FireFenrir30

4 hours ago, FireFenrir30 said:

Thanks for explain me this! I think this Silque's skill don't function if my opponent use a skill that grants +20? This will destroy my Silque isn't it?

I'm not too sure what you mean here, but your opponent can just attack Silque normally as if attacking anyone and Silque can get destroyed by an attack as per normal. Being destroyed by skills are different to being destroyed by attacks.

4 hours ago, FireFenrir30 said:

Ah? But for Berkut's skill (Kriemhild ACT Once Per Turn [Destroy another untapped ally] Until the end of your opponent's next turn, this unit gains +10 attack and this unit's range becomes 1-3. ) I have to destroy an untaped ally,as it's said, if I want this skill to function...

Destroying another untapped ally is the cost of his skill, which doesn't cause battle to occur. It just simply destroys them - or sends them to the retreat area (which is being destroyed) and then the result of destroying an untapped ally, which is gaining +10 attack and having 1-3 range until the end of your opponent's turn happens.
This is what I mean by a skill's cost -> which means you can't choose Silque when using Berkut's skill because she cannot be destroyed, which cannot fulfill the condition to activate Kriemhild.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have a question regarding Shigure: End of the Ideal Path's skill's, and Zeke, Rigel's Sable Knight's one:

Forbidden Lyric ACT Once Per Turn Choose 1 non-Main Character Dragonstone enemy, and destroy them. Then, destroy this unit.

Treasured Memory CONT Other than this unit, if you have 1 or more of each Whiteand Black allies, this unit cannot be destroyed by the cost or effect of a skill.

-Does that mean that if I activate Forbidden Lyric, and that I have 1 White and Black as allies, Shigure isn't destroyed?

- Also can a card activate two ACT skills in one turn? Can I activate, for example, Shigure skill's

Lost in the Waves ACT [ Tap This Unit ] Reveal the top card of your deck. Choose any number of allies with the same Symbol as that card as you wish, and move them, and 

Forbidden Lyric ACT Once Per Turn Choose 1 non-Main Character Dragonstone enemy, and destroy them. Then, destroy this unit,

both at the same turn?

-For Zeke, Rigel's Sable Knight's 1st skill:

Regalia: Gradivus ACT [Discard a Red card] Until the end of this turn, the Deployment Cost of all enemies becomes 1, and this unit's range becomes 1-2.

-First, are discard and destroy are the same? Is discard is only used to say that you have to discard one card from your hand and does destroy is used for say that you have to discard a card from you Front/Back line? In the case of Zeke, it meant that I have to discard a card from my hand isn't it?

-Second, for the effect "the Deployment Cost of all enemies becomes 1" Is that affect card's power? For example,  is the 4 Deployment Cost (Corrin (Male): Prince who chooses the future) with 70 of power, will be like a 1 Deployment Cost Corrin (Male): Crown Prince of Hoshido, with 20 of power until the end of the turn? Is the Class Change Corrin will be consider as a 1 Deployment Cost Corrin, about his skills and power?

Sorry, if it's not clear and also if one of those questions has been asked before.

Thanks for read my post!

11 hours ago, FireFenrir30 said:

Hello, I have a question regarding Shigure: End of the Ideal Path's skill's, and Zeke, Rigel's Sable Knight's one:

Forbidden Lyric ACT Once Per Turn Choose 1 non-Main Character Dragonstone enemy, and destroy them. Then, destroy this unit.

Treasured Memory CONT Other than this unit, if you have 1 or more of each Whiteand Black allies, this unit cannot be destroyed by the cost or effect of a skill.

-Does that mean that if I activate Forbidden Lyric, and that I have 1 White and Black as allies, Shigure isn't destroyed?

Shigure does not get destroyed if you have Treasured Memory active.

- Also can a card activate two ACT skills in one turn? Can I activate, for example, Shigure skill's

Lost in the Waves ACT [ Tap This Unit ] Reveal the top card of your deck. Choose any number of allies with the same Symbol as that card as you wish, and move them, and 

Forbidden Lyric ACT Once Per Turn Choose 1 non-Main Character Dragonstone enemy, and destroy them. Then, destroy this unit,

both at the same turn?

Yes. You can use both skills in the same turn. There are no restrictions to stop you from doing so unless it is stated.

-For Zeke, Rigel's Sable Knight's 1st skill:

Regalia: Gradivus ACT [Discard a Red card] Until the end of this turn, the Deployment Cost of all enemies becomes 1, and this unit's range becomes 1-2.

-First, are discard and destroy are the same? Is discard is only used to say that you have to discard one card from your hand and does destroy is used for say that you have to discard a card from you Front/Back line? In the case of Zeke, it meant that I have to discard a card from my hand isn't it?

-Second, for the effect "the Deployment Cost of all enemies becomes 1" Is that affect card's power? For example,  is the 4 Deployment Cost (Corrin (Male): Prince who chooses the future) with 70 of power, will be like a 1 Deployment Cost Corrin (Male): Crown Prince of Hoshido, with 20 of power until the end of the turn? Is the Class Change Corrin will be consider as a 1 Deployment Cost Corrin, about his skills and power?

Discard and destroy are different things, discard is referring to discarding a card from your hand, and destroying is destroying a unit on field and sending it to the retreat area. In Zeke's case it's discard from hand.
Zeke's skill just changes the enemy deployment cost to 1. Corrin will temporary have a Deployment Cost of 1 until the end of the turn, but other than that, his attack and skills are unaffected.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I have a question about Mathilda: Legendary Knightess's skill's :

Goddess of the Battlefield AUTO When this unit is untapped, until the end of this turn, this unit gains +10 attack.

If she is untapped, and then tapped for attacking, is the +10 will still count? Or is this one is "lost" when she is tapped? 

Also, if her second skill, Indomitable Knight AUTO Once Per Turn When this unit is tapped by a skill's effect or by the cost of a skill, untap this unit,  is activated but that she previously gain +10 due to her first skill, will she again gain +10 attack in addition to the first +10 she gain? (Will she be at +20 ?)

Thanks in advance.

On 8/16/2019 at 4:46 AM, FireFenrir30 said:

Hello, I have a question about Mathilda: Legendary Knightess's skill's :

Goddess of the Battlefield AUTO When this unit is untapped, until the end of this turn, this unit gains +10 attack.

If she is untapped, and then tapped for attacking, is the +10 will still count? Or is this one is "lost" when she is tapped? 

Also, if her second skill, Indomitable Knight AUTO Once Per Turn When this unit is tapped by a skill's effect or by the cost of a skill, untap this unit,  is activated but that she previously gain +10 due to her first skill, will she again gain +10 attack in addition to the first +10 she gain? (Will she be at +20 ?)

Thanks in advance.

The +10 is lost at the end of the turn.

If she was untapped earlier in the turn, then yes the +10 stacks and she'll be at +20.

Hello, thanks for responding my previous question :D

I just have another quetsion about  SPEC skills, when can they be activated?

If I want to use Conrad: White Guardian Knight first's skill: Knight's Silvery Shadow SPEC If you have 1 or fewer Orbs, this card's Deployment and Class Change Costs becomes 1, do I have to deploy him before? Or is that skill is activated as long as I got him on my hand and that I have at least less than 1 Orb?

Thanks by advance.

On 8/26/2019 at 4:56 AM, FireFenrir30 said:

Hello, thanks for responding my previous question 😄

I just have another quetsion about  SPEC skills, when can they be activated?

If I want to use Conrad: White Guardian Knight first's skill: Knight's Silvery Shadow SPEC If you have 1 or fewer Orbs, this card's Deployment and Class Change Costs becomes 1, do I have to deploy him before? Or is that skill is activated as long as I got him on my hand and that I have at least less than 1 Orb?

Thanks by advance.

Skill is active as long as you have him in hand and you have at most 1 orb or 0 orbs.

• 1 month later...

I have a question regarding the skill of Sharena: Golden Smile.

B10-090.png

Her 1st ability, Princess's Gate Defense, allows the player to [flip 1 Bond and destroy one of their orbs] to [replace it with a card in their hand].  Upon the resolution of the effect, does the player put their card Face-up or Face-down into their Orb zone, from hand?  Or does the player get to choose the orientation in which they place their card from the hand to the Orb Zone? 

On 10/5/2019 at 9:31 AM, R_U_Diejobu said:

I have a question regarding the skill of Sharena: Golden Smile.

B10-090.png

Her 1st ability, Princess's Gate Defense, allows the player to [flip 1 Bond and destroy one of their orbs] to [replace it with a card in their hand].  Upon the resolution of the effect, does the player put their card Face-up or Face-down into their Orb zone, from hand?  Or does the player get to choose the orientation in which they place their card from the hand to the Orb Zone? 

Destroyed orbs are always only revealed to you. In this specific case, it would be face-down still (your opponent doesn't get to see what it is).

Hello, I have some questions about rules and other things.

-Is a Critical Hit can be evaded? Also, is a Critical Hit can counter an evade? If my unit is evading, is my opponent's unit can do a Critical Hit? 

-Also, is a flipped bond can still be tapped for deploy units? When a Bond was flipped for a skill, at the next turn, can I still tap it for deploy unit?

-About this Skill, and each of this "type" of skills:

For example, Sakura Priestess of Love skill permite her Once per turn, by flip 2 bonds, to add a card from the Retreat Area to the hand, if a Hoshido unit was destroyed by the ennemy.

But, there is a cost for activate this Skill (Flip 2 bonds), do I have to activate this Skill when it's my turn, before a Hoshido unit is destroyed, or can I flip the 2 Bonds after the unit was destroyed, even if it's not my turn?

-Is a Colorless card can be deployed with a  Colorless Bond card?

-Then, about skills that need to reveal a card from my hand (like Conrad, Prince of Zofia, his skill require to reveal a "Celica" card from my hand for him to gain +10). After the card was revealed, do I leave this card in my hand, or did I have to discard the card?

Sorry if it's not clear. Thanks by advance.

Edited by FireFenrir30

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 8:55 AM, FireFenrir30 said:

-Is a Critical Hit can be evaded? Also, is a Critical Hit can counter an evade? If my unit is evading, is my opponent's unit can do a Critical Hit? 

You declare your intent to Critical Hit first, and then your opponent may or may not respond with an evade. 

Crits fail to hit if your opponent evades.

Your opponent must declare whether or not they Critical Hit before you evade.

-Also, is a flipped bond can still be tapped for deploy units? When a Bond was flipped for a skill, at the next turn, can I still tap it for deploy unit?

Tapping your bonds is just a way of counting the amount you've spent to deploy your units. It's not directly a thing you have to do in the game. You untap all these bonds at the start of your next turn afterwards anyway, so you can tap it again to deploy for the next turn.

-About this Skill, and each of this "type" of skills:

For example, Sakura Priestess of Love skill permite her Once per turn, by flip 2 bonds, to add a card from the Retreat Area to the hand, if a Hoshido unit was destroyed by the ennemy.

But, there is a cost for activate this Skill (Flip 2 bonds), do I have to activate this Skill when it's my turn, before a Hoshido unit is destroyed, or can I flip the 2 Bonds after the unit was destroyed, even if it's not my turn?

The timing for the skill only works when one of your Hoshido units destroys an enemy's attack, then you may choose to flip 2 bonds if you want to heal a card - which only works on your turn since you can only destroy enemies with attacks during your turn.

-Is a Colorless card can be deployed with a  Colorless Bond card?

Yes. Colorless bond cards count as if they have no symbol, so you can deploy them even if you have no face-up bonds.

-Then, about skills that need to reveal a card from my hand (like Conrad, Prince of Zofia, his skill require to reveal a "Celica" card from my hand for him to gain +10). After the card was revealed, do I leave this card in my hand, or did I have to discard the card?

You only have to fulfill the skill's cost (which is reveal Celica) to gain the skill. Afterwards you leave it in your hand (if it was discard it would flat out say discard the card instead, without needing to reveal it).

• 4 weeks later...

Hiya, I just have a quick question regarding S19. I want to preorder the booster pack box from AmiAmi but they have two different listings for 16 pack box preorders and I'm not sure which is which since there are no images. One is called "Sono Te ga Michibiku Yoake" and the other is "Haten no Seien". Does anyone know what each of these is?

7 hours ago, hidewari said:

Hiya, I just have a quick question regarding S19. I want to preorder the booster pack box from AmiAmi but they have two different listings for 16 pack box preorders and I'm not sure which is which since there are no images. One is called "Sono Te ga Michibiku Yoake" and the other is "Haten no Seien". Does anyone know what each of these is?

Haten no Seien is the one you want. If you look at the order pages, that once releases in December, while the other releases next March (so it's S20).

2 hours ago, Kirie said:

Haten no Seien is the one you want. If you look at the order pages, that once releases in December, while the other releases next March (so it's S20).

Ah, of course I should have checked the release date. Thank you!

• 1 month later...
On 1/13/2020 at 4:42 PM, Ginko said:

Noob question, I'm new to Cipher game.

Can I move my characters on Deploy Phase? (back to front, front to back) or I can only perform movement on Action Phrase?

Action Phase only, you tap the unit you want to move and then move that unit (front to back or back to front), or of course declare an attack or declare the activation of a skill that requires you to tap your unit as a cost.

Hello, I have some questions about some Alm's skills

First, for Alm: Prince of Rigel 1st skill" Heir to Strength AUTO Once Per Turn When you deploy another Blade of Light ally, until the end of the turn, this unit gains +10 attack.       

I would like to know if by "this unit" they mean Alm or the deployed unit?

Also for skills who need to tap an ally and then this action grants +10 to "this unit"(as it's said for example on Alm's Ambitious Youth), they also mean Alm by "this unit" I guess?

Also is Alm : Hero of Prophecy 2nd skill: Brand of Destiny AUTO When your Main Character's attack destroys an enemy, you may choose 1 Blade of Light card with a Deployment Cost of 5 or lower from your hand and deploy it.  function if this Alm is the MC? 

Also is it possible to class change a red card into a grey Card (for example is it possible to class change Celica: Sofian Warrior Priestess ( a red Card) into Celica: Determined to save the world (a grey card)?

Those are basics questions but I prefer ask as long as I'm not sure of the answer.

Thank you by advance!

Edited by FireFenrir

On 1/21/2020 at 3:06 PM, FireFenrir said:

Hello, I have some questions about some Alm's skills

First, for Alm: Prince of Rigel 1st skill" Heir to Strength AUTO Once Per Turn When you deploy another Blade of Light ally, until the end of the turn, this unit gains +10 attack.       

I would like to know if by "this unit" they mean Alm or the deployed unit?

Also for skills who need to tap an ally and then this action grants +10 to "this unit"(as it's said for example on Alm's Ambitious Youth), they also mean Alm by "this unit" I guess?

Also is Alm : Hero of Prophecy 2nd skill: Brand of Destiny AUTO When your Main Character's attack destroys an enemy, you may choose 1 Blade of Light card with a Deployment Cost of 5 or lower from your hand and deploy it.  function if this Alm is the MC? 

Also is it possible to class change a red card into a grey Card (for example is it possible to class change Celica: Sofian Warrior Priestess ( a red Card) into Celica: Determined to save the world (a grey card)?

Those are basics questions but I prefer ask as long as I'm not sure of the answer.

Thank you by advance!

Yes, any time that a card mentions "this unit," they're referring to the unit that is on the card. You can compare with Chrom, Defender of the Halidom (S02-001ST) for a card where the 1st skill refers to "another ally" as "that unit" gaining +20 attack, and the 2nd skill refers to Chrom as "this unit" gaining +20 attack.

Also yes, Brand of Destiny will function if Alm is the MC. One cool thing about Cipher is that it has cards that can both transfer MC status and have skills that benefit MC. Alm is one example, but I also know of Katarina, With a Joyful Dream (B15-005SR), who not only can become MC and boost herself, but also make any other Red ally MC and boost them. I've never used her in practice but I always thought it could make for a fun deck.

Finally, yes, you can class change a red into grey. As long as they have the same name and there are no restrictions listed on the card, you're good to go.

Hope this helps! If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to do my best to answer, but as a disclaimer I only just learned the basics myself these past few months. It feels like it wasn't too long ago that I had to learn that "an ally" did not refer to an ally of the card, but rather an ally of the player, and thus includes the card itself. I'm sure I still have more to learn, especially in building decks, but I at least understand the game much better now since when I started.

I actually just remembered an old question that I had about Shigure, End of the Ideal Path (B10-059R). His first skill, Lost in the Waves, states "Reveal the topmost card of your Deck. Choose any number of allies with the same Symbol as that card as you wish, and move them."

Let's say the topmost card of my deck is a WhiteBlack card. Am I only able to move allies that are also WhiteBlack, or can I move any ally that's either White or Black since they still share a symbol (like how WhiteBlack can be used for either in the bond area)?

Thanks in advance!

-

16 hours ago, FireFenrir said:

Thank you for respond me, i'll sure ask other questions soon, as long as I'm trying to build decks 😄

Thanks again!

No problem, always happy to help!