Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I have a question regarding supoort skills (answer is evident but I prefer ask): as for example, Attack Support Dragonkin Emblem Support If your attacking unit is Blade of Light, choose 1 card in your hand. You may place that card in the Bond Area.

I guess as it says that it don't work if it's support my defending unit?

Thank you by advance.

Edited by FireFenrir

1 hour ago, FireFenrir said:

Hello, I have a question regarding supoort skills (answer is evident but I prefer ask): as for example, Attack Support Dragonkin Emblem Support If your attacking unit is Blade of Light, choose 1 card in your hand. You may place that card in the Bond Area.

I guess as it says that it don't work if it's support my defending unit?

Thank you by advance.

With support skills, the majority of them are divided into only 1 of two categories: Attack Support or Defense Support. So yes, this support skill is Attack Support, so it won't work when supporting a defending unit.

Support skills will have a symbol next to them to indicate whether they are [ATK SUPP] or [DEF SUPP]. In this case, it's the dual sword symbol Attack Support for ATK/Attack, and the shield symbol is used for DEF/Defense.

Also, if you're curious about the exceptions (cards with support skills that are both Attack and Defense), I would recommend checking out Purple. It has cards like Eliwood, Marquess Pherae's Son (B07-003HN), whose Courage Emblem is [ATK/DEF SUPP] so it works regardless, and Eirika, Princess of Renais (B11-003HN), who actually has two support skills: Encouragement Emblem which is [ATK SUPP] only and then also Sibling Emblem which is both [ATK/DEF SUPP]. Lots of neat stuff to find!

Hello, I have questions regarding some skills:

First, about Oboro: Stunning Spear Maiden, if I use her first skill Glamorous Quick-Change Princess SPEC [Flip 1 Hoshido Bond face-down] When allied "Oboro" is moved, you may pay the cost and if you do: Stack this card from your Retreat Area on top of an allied "Oboro" to Class Change her. Does  that Class Change allow me to draw 1 card? Also, if the previous Oboro (the Oboro that has been class changed to the Stunning Spear Maiden) was tapped and then moved by a skill effect is the stacked Oboro is also tapped? Or does that allow me to play Oboro again? Then are the buffs of the previous Oboro are still granted to the stacked Oboro? (if the previous Oboro has a +20 buff because of skills, is this buff is still granted?)

Also, if I move an untapped unit, then do I have to tap this unit because moving is an act?

About Level Up, if I have a Ike B17-062HN and that I stack a Ike B14-077N, the LvS2 Ike B14-077N (Level Skill 2 Corporally-Learned Swordplay ACT Once Per Turn [ Flip 1 Bond ] Until the end of the turn, this unit gains +30 attack. (Level Skill 2 comes into effect if a total of 2 or more cards are stacked with this unit.) will then count? And is a Class Change card is considered as a stack? (example for Ike : Radiant Hero skill "Aether AUTO [ Flip 5 Bonds ] When this unit attacks your opponent's Main Character, you may pay the cost and if you do: Choose up to 2 non-Main Character enemies, and destroy them. Until the end of your opponent's next turn, this unit gains +10 attack." If there are 2 class change cards under this Ike, (example a cost 1 Ike was class changed to a cost 2 Ike and then to this cost 4 Ike, which would do 2 cards below the Radiant Hero card, are those 2 cards are considered as stack? Also about this "Aether" skill, does the +10 occurs while he is attacking my opponent's MC if I pay the cost before attacking? Or do I have to pay the cost after he attacked the MC? (Also, if he destroy 1 Orb as the result of destroying the opponent's MC, can that skill function?)

Also for Mycen: Hero of Zofia first skill: "Defender of the Brand CONT If your Main Character is "Alm" or "Celica", enemies in the Back Line cannot attack this unit, allied "Alm" or allied "Celica." If it's clear to me, ennemies in the Back Line cannot attack Mycen as well? And if Alm is my MC, Backline ennemies will be abble to attack Celica but not Alm ?

For Jedah's first skill: "Sacrificial Rite ACT Once Per Turn [Send 2 cards from your hand to the Retreat Area] Choose 2 "Witch" from your Retreat Area, and deploy them." is this skill can be combined with Witches skill "Defiled Magic AUTO When you deploy this unit, if you have 2 or fewer cards in your hand, draw 1 card." Then I would draw 2 cards because I deployed 2 Witches?

For the Witches Skill:Offering to the Darkness ACT [Send 1 card from your hand to the Retreat Area] Until the end of the turn, this unit gains +30 attack. If I send two cards instead of one (or more cards), will, for each discarded card, I will gain +30? (for 2 cards +60, etc.....)

Then for Zeke: Rigel's Sable Knight first skill:Regalia: Gradivus ACT [Send 1 Blade of Light card from your hand to the Retreat Area] Until the end of the turn, the Deployment Cost of all enemies becomes 1, and this unit acquires range 1-2.. Is the reduced Deployment cost to 1 is only for Deployment cost or also for Class Change cost? 

Thank you by advance, I still have a lot to learn!

Edited by FireFenrir

Okay, so I think I have answers for most of these questions. For the first one though, I'm going to answer as best I can, but there's one part I'll address that I'm not entirely sure about.

On 2/24/2020 at 3:36 PM, FireFenrir said:

Hello, I have questions regarding some skills:

First, about Oboro: Stunning Spear Maiden, if I use her first skill Glamorous Quick-Change Princess SPEC [Flip 1 Hoshido Bond face-down] When allied "Oboro" is moved, you may pay the cost and if you do: Stack this card from your Retreat Area on top of an allied "Oboro" to Class Change her. Does  that Class Change allow me to draw 1 card? Also, if the previous Oboro (the Oboro that has been class changed to the Stunning Spear Maiden) was tapped and then moved by a skill effect is the stacked Oboro is also tapped? Or does that allow me to play Oboro again? Then are the buffs of the previous Oboro are still granted to the stacked Oboro? (if the previous Oboro has a +20 buff because of skills, is this buff is still granted?)

As far as I can tell, yes, the Class Change should still allow you to draw 1 card.  I found there was an earlier question about Kurthnaga, Prince of Goldoa (B05-098R) whose skill can Level Up a fang ally, and the answer was that if the card used to Level Up has a promotion cost, you can draw 1 card. So it seems that even when it's done through skills and not bonds, as long as there's a promotion cost, you still draw as you would normally.

I'm a little less sure about if Oboro would remain tapped. I would think she would remain tapped, since she's the same unit. But I also know that the answer to your next question is, no, the buffs of the previous Oboro are not granted to the stacked Oboro. TheVinceKnight said earlier: "Attack gains / buffs / do not carry through onto the next card over when you level up / class change on top of a card."

So since the buffs do not carry over, it's possible that Class Change is enough of a "reset". But I still think she would stay tapped. @TheVinceKnight could you please clarify for us when you get the chance? I'd hate to pass along misinformation.

Also, if I move an untapped unit, then do I have to tap this unit because moving is an act?

It depends on how you're moving the untapped unit. If you move the unit normally, yes, moving would be an act that requires tapping. But if you move the unit through a skill, then no, you don't have to tap them unless the skill states it.

About Level Up, if I have a Ike B17-062HN and that I stack a Ike B14-077N, the LvS2 Ike B14-077N (Level Skill 2 Corporally-Learned Swordplay ACT Once Per Turn [ Flip 1 Bond ] Until the end of the turn, this unit gains +30 attack. (Level Skill 2 comes into effect if a total of 2 or more cards are stacked with this unit.) will then count? And is a Class Change card is considered as a stack? (example for Ike : Radiant Hero skill "Aether AUTO [ Flip 5 Bonds ] When this unit attacks your opponent's Main Character, you may pay the cost and if you do: Choose up to 2 non-Main Character enemies, and destroy them. Until the end of your opponent's next turn, this unit gains +10 attack." If there are 2 class change cards under this Ike, (example a cost 1 Ike was class changed to a cost 2 Ike and then to this cost 4 Ike, which would do 2 cards below the Radiant Hero card, are those 2 cards are considered as stack? Also about this "Aether" skill, does the +10 occurs while he is attacking my opponent's MC if I pay the cost before attacking? Or do I have to pay the cost after he attacked the MC?

Yes, it will count, and yes, any card will count as part of the stack regardless of whether it was Growthed/Class Changed/Leveled Up. So in that case, there would be 2 cards stacked beneath Ike, so Aether would require a cost of 3 bond flips instead of 5. It looks like you pay the cost for Aether as soon as you declare an attack on your opponent's MC with Ike, so he would gain the +10 before any calculations for the same attack.

(Also, if he destroy 1 Orb as the result of destroying the opponent's MC, can that skill function?)

I'm not sure what you mean by this part? The card doesn't mention anything about orbs, so I would think that the skill would function regardless of if you destroy an orb or not.

Also for Mycen: Hero of Zofia first skill: "Defender of the Brand CONT If your Main Character is "Alm" or "Celica", enemies in the Back Line cannot attack this unit, allied "Alm" or allied "Celica." If it's clear to me, ennemies in the Back Line cannot attack Mycen as well? And if Alm is my MC, Backline ennemies will be abble to attack Celica but not Alm ?

You're right that enemies in the Back Line cannot attack Mycen as well. But actually, even if Alm is MC, they still will not be able to attack Celica. Mycen's skill protects all three from Back Line enemy attacks, so long as you have one of those two as MC.

For Jedah's first skill: "Sacrificial Rite ACT Once Per Turn [Send 2 cards from your hand to the Retreat Area] Choose 2 "Witch" from your Retreat Area, and deploy them." is this skill can be combined with Witches skill "Defiled Magic AUTO When you deploy this unit, if you have 2 or fewer cards in your hand, draw 1 card." Then I would draw 2 cards because I deployed 2 Witches?

It can be combined, yes, but it depends on the number of cards in your hand. So if you have 2 cards in your hand to start with, you could only draw 1 more card, since you would then have 3 which is too many cards to trigger the effect a second time. But if you started with 1 or no cards, then yes, you could draw 2 because you deployed 2 Witches!

For the Witches Skill:Offering to the Darkness ACT [Send 1 card from your hand to the Retreat Area] Until the end of the turn, this unit gains +30 attack. If I send two cards instead of one (or more cards), will, for each discarded card, I will gain +30? (for 2 cards +60, etc.....)

Yes! That skill is not Once Per Turn, so you can keep discarding cards to gain +30 each time.

Then for Zeke: Rigel's Sable Knight first skill:Regalia: Gradivus ACT [Send 1 Blade of Light card from your hand to the Retreat Area] Until the end of the turn, the Deployment Cost of all enemies becomes 1, and this unit acquires range 1-2.. Is the reduced Deployment cost to 1 is only for Deployment cost or also for Class Change cost?

It is only for the Deployment cost

Thank you a lot! That clarify everything, that's still nice to have answers! Also, I have a last question are the Witches buffs (as +30 for example) is counted for only one Witch, or each of the Witches on the battlefield? (If I control one witch and discard 1 card for the +30, is this buff is counted only for the witch I control or every Witches on the battlefield?)

Np, glad I could help! And hopefully we can clear up the Oboro part sometime. As for your question about the Witch buffs, it should only count for the 1 Witch you use to activate the skill, since the skill specifies "this unit" rather than any unit with that name.

On 2/25/2020 at 10:46 PM, Marioluigi said:

If I were to play with someone in a non Japanese country who is new to the game but is an Fe fan how would we play easily while being hindered by the language barrier of the cards the least (just while playing, I don't mind preparing in advance)?

That's a good question! It really depends on what format you're most interested in playing.

If you don't mind playing digitally, there are a number of card game simulators for Cipher. The only one I'm familiar with is the one I use, LackeyCCG. I learned about it through a guide on Serenes, and it's been immensely helpful to picking up the game. As long as you and the other person both have it downloaded, you can build decks, then make a private server and play against each other that way.

If you're asking about the best way to play with the physical cards despite the language barrier, well, that's a little more tricky. My own personal solution was to screencap each card's effects on Lackey and edit them together to turn them into a quick reference guide I could print out:

Spoiler

[Photo removed due to upload limit, just showed a compilation of screencaps I took from Lackey]

Very basic, but it gets the job done. I have one for the other person's deck as well as mine, and we use each other's reference guides whenever needed. The more we've played, the less we need to, but it's always nice to have on hand, especially if we want to double-check the wording of an effect.

Not a solution for everyone though, I'm sure. I think there's a way to make proxies, but I'm admittedly unfamiliar with that process. It might be worth looking into, though?

Edited by AllStarKnight
Removed old photo due to upload limit

Thank you, would there be a way to print those for each card and place them with actual card? Teaching them how to play shouldn't be hard but they mentioned that they didn't want to play because it in Japanese so they couldn't understand it. Also to clarify I would be lending them my cards to play if you need to know.

19 minutes ago, Marioluigi said:

Thank you, would there be a way to print those for each card and place them with actual card? Teaching them how to play shouldn't be hard but they mentioned that they didn't want to play because it in Japanese so they couldn't understand it. Also to clarify I would be lending them my cards to play if you need to know.

Yes, that would be creating/using a proxy! I've never done it myself, and I doubt it would turn out as nice as it does in these pictures if I did, but here's a topic I found that covers it:

So the basic concept seems to be formatting the text to fit the card (which appears to be pre-done for many cards already), print it out, and then use a sleeve so that the text overlays without touching/damaging the card. More details in the linked topic, and covered far better than I could do, but yeah, hope this helps!

While half-proxies are probably the best way to do it, creating them takes quite some time. What I did was create small notes with the card's effects and put them behind the cards into their sleeves. After a few games I usually know my cards by heart and only need to look at my notes if I haven't used the card for a while.

Hello, I have a quick question about Claude (Fodlan): Easygoing Schemer, when he uses his skill: Bearer of Secret Ambitions ACT Once Per Turn Move this unit. This skill is only usable if this unit is untapped. Do I have to tap him after?

And is that possible to Lvl up a 0 deployment cost unit to a 0 deployment cost unit? (example can I level up Sothis S12-003ST to Sothis B19-023N?) or a 0 deployment cost unit to a 2 deployment cost unit without passing by the 1 deployment cost? 

Thank you by advance.

Edited by FireFenrir

1 hour ago, FireFenrir said:

Hello, I have a quick question about Claude (Fodlan): Easygoing Schemer, when he uses his skill: Bearer of Secret Ambitions ACT Once Per Turn Move this unit. This skill is only usable if this unit is untapped. Do I have to tap him after?

And is that possible to Lvl up a 0 deployment cost unit to a 0 deployment cost unit? (example can I level up Sothis S12-003ST to Sothis B19-023N?) or a 0 deployment cost unit to a 2 deployment cost unit without passing by the 1 deployment cost? 

Thank you by advance.

Nope, he remains untapped! Otherwise, the skill wouldn't do much, since you could just tap to move him normally.

And yes, as far as I know, level up should work like normal as long as they share the same unit name!

Thank you very much, this is great to have answers 😄

Also, if my attacking/defending unit is supported by a unit who gave +0 (such as Faceless for example), the attack function anyway or does it fails?

Thank you!

Edited by FireFenrir

On 2/26/2020 at 9:49 AM, AllStarKnight said:

As far as I can tell, yes, the Class Change should still allow you to draw 1 card.  I found there was an earlier question about Kurthnaga, Prince of Goldoa (B05-098R) whose skill can Level Up a fang ally, and the answer was that if the card used to Level Up has a promotion cost, you can draw 1 card. So it seems that even when it's done through skills and not bonds, as long as there's a promotion cost, you still draw as you would normally.

I'm a little less sure about if Oboro would remain tapped. I would think she would remain tapped, since she's the same unit. But I also know that the answer to your next question is, no, the buffs of the previous Oboro are not granted to the stacked Oboro. TheVinceKnight said earlier: "Attack gains / buffs / do not carry through onto the next card over when you level up / class change on top of a card."

So since the buffs do not carry over, it's possible that Class Change is enough of a "reset". But I still think she would stay tapped. @TheVinceKnight could you please clarify for us when you get the chance? I'd hate to pass along misinformation.

Buffs do not carry over, that's correct.
If Oboro was tapped before she class changed, she would remain tapped. 

2 hours ago, FireFenrir said:

Thank you very much, this is great to have answers 😄

Also, if my attacking/defending unit is supported by a unit who gave +0 (such as Faceless for example), the attack function anyway or does it fails?

Thank you!

The attack would work but it's basically the same as a failed support anyway since it provides 0 support values.

8 hours ago, TheVinceKnight said:

The attack would work but it's basically the same as a failed support anyway since it provides 0 support values.

I believe this is incorrect, the support still works, meaning attack/defense emblems still take effect and other skills that activate on support-fails don't activate.

I believe this is incorrect, the support still works, meaning attack/defense emblems still take effect and other skills that activate on support-fails don't activate.

So, what you mean is that only the +x buff doesn't fucntion, but the attack/defense emblem or activated skills function even if the card support is 0?

Edited by FireFenrir

50 minutes ago, FireFenrir said:

So, what you mean is that only the +x buff doesn't fucntion, but the attack/defense emblem or activated skills function even if the card support is 0?

A 0 support card works the exact same as any other support, you add the value of your attack and the support card's support together. Example: 40 attack + 0 support = 40 total attack

Everything functions as normal, it simply only doesn't help your attack total.

Edit: Additional note that if a support "fails", as it does with a self support, the support card is immediately placed in the retreat area, whereas a 0 support remains in the support zone until the battle ends.

Edited by whase