Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

11 hours ago, whase said:

I believe this is incorrect, the support still works, meaning attack/defense emblems still take effect and other skills that activate on support-fails don't activate.

I was stating in terms of attack values yes, but support emblems would still take effect of course. I had thought that was obvious but I guess I should be clear next time. Thanks for clearing it up.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello, I have an doubt on a basic thing: when a skill required to "tap an ally", can this ally act and then will be tapped for use the skill after? (Sorry if it's not clear, I use an example: Clair: Highborn Flier require to "Tap a red ally" then my MC would have +10 ( Zofian Pegasus Knight ACT Once Per Turn [Tap 1 Blade of Light ally] Until the end of this turn, your Main Character gains +10 attack.)

If I have an allied Faye for example, can I tap her for act (attack), and then this tapping will serve for Clair skill? 

Thank you by advance.

1 hour ago, FireFenrir said:

Hello, I have an doubt on a basic thing: when a skill required to "tap an ally", can this ally act and then will be tapped for use the skill after? (Sorry if it's not clear, I use an example: Clair: Highborn Flier require to "Tap a red ally" then my MC would have +10 ( Zofian Pegasus Knight ACT Once Per Turn [Tap 1 Blade of Light ally] Until the end of this turn, your Main Character gains +10 attack.)

If I have an allied Faye for example, can I tap her for act (attack), and then this tapping will serve for Clair skill? 

Thank you by advance.

Compare it to this; you spend money in a shop to buy something (you tap Faye as payment to attack), then you try to buy something with the same money you just spent (tapping an ally for +10 power).

I personally find this comparison to help in a lot of cases when it comes to costs, hope it helps.

Short answer: nope

Glad to help, I enjoy helping. ^^

Thank you that helps of course. I'll sure use this example if I ever need it, thank you. ^•^

Then, another question: when a skill permite me to move an ally, do I have to tap this ally after?

Thank you by advance.

Edited by FireFenrir

4 hours ago, FireFenrir said:

Thank you that helps of course. I'll sure use this example if I ever need it, thank you. ^•^

Then, another question: when a skill permite me to move an ally, do I have to tap this ally after?

Thank you by advance.

Not unless the skill requires you to tap said ally.

Hello, does Hilda's (Fodlan) skill:"Feel free to pick up the slack!" AUTO [ Flip 1 Bond ] When this unit's attack ends, you may pay the cost and if you do: Move this unit, can even function if the attack fails?

Thank you!

11 hours ago, FireFenrir said:

Hello, does Hilda's (Fodlan) skill:"Feel free to pick up the slack!" AUTO [ Flip 1 Bond ] When this unit's attack ends, you may pay the cost and if you do: Move this unit, can even function if the attack fails?

Yes, as long as Hilda has attacked, the skill can function.

2 hours ago, Waterhorse928 said:

Do skills that trigger "when unit is deployed" trigger on a level up?

No, because the process of "deploying" a unit is separate from Level Up. Deployment is when you are putting a new unit on the field, rather than Leveling Up an existing one.

Hey guys,

I've got a question related to potentially missed timing.

It concerns the following cards: Eldigan: Agustrian Paladin, Deirdre: Maiden of the Spirit Forest and Julia: Imperial Princess of Grannvale

Deirdre and Julia both state that: "you may choose 1 card from (the retreat / your hand) and play it into the Bond Area.", and then the effect continues.

My question is: when used with Eldigan which states: "When this unit is placed in your Bond Area", can you use Eldigans effect and if so in what order?

I think it's either of the following three options:

1. Eldigans effect does not trigger, because it's placed in the bond area halfway through another effect. Meaning it misses the timing.

2. Eldigans effect goes on a chain and resolves after the effect of Deirdre / Julia

3. Eldigans effect takes priority and the goes off immediately, stopping the effect of Deirdre / Julia

Thanks in advance!

51 minutes ago, 341 said:

Hey guys,

It concerns the following cards: Eldigan: Agustrian Paladin, Deirdre: Maiden of the Spirit Forest and Julia: Imperial Princess of Grannvale

Deirdre and Julia both state that: "you may choose 1 card from (the retreat / your hand) and play it into the Bond Area.", and then the effect continues.

My question is: when used with Eldigan which states: "When this unit is placed in your Bond Area", can you use Eldigans effect and if so in what order?

1. Eldigans effect does not trigger, because it's placed in the bond area halfway through another effect. Meaning it misses the timing.

2. Eldigans effect goes on a chain and resolves after the effect of Deirdre / Julia

3. Eldigans effect takes priority and the goes off immediately, stopping the effect of Deirdre / Julia

Thanks in advance!

I'm pretty sure this falls under the "simultaneous" rule, which states that if things were to happen simultaneous, the player who's turn it is gets to decide the order. I'm certain everything happens and no effects are stopped from happening completely.

17 hours ago, 341 said:

Hey guys,

Thanks in advance!

You must resolve Deirdre / Julia's skill entirely before resolving another skill. This means that if you place a card that has a Bond Skill (that can activate when placed) into the Bond Area via these skills, and then put that same card (back into the Retreat Area / into your hand), you cannot resolve that Bond Skill since it is no longer placed in the Bond Area afterwards.
If you choose to keep the said card in the Bond Area instead of throwing it into the Retreat, back into hand, you can still use that Bond Skill.

Thank you Whase and TheVinceKnight. Glad to hear the effects continue and also a bit (pleasantly) surprised that Cipher is so lenient.

Edited by 341

1 hour ago, Waterhorse928 said:

I've got a question about Tine: Maiden of Purifying Lightning

Bond Skill Blood of Tordo Bond Skill AUTO [ Flip 1 Bond ] When this card is placed in the Bond Area, you may pay the cost and if you do: Draw 1 card.

Can you flip this card as the cost?

Yes. I was gonna write more than this simple 'Yes' answer actually, but I couldn't think of a better way to describe it.
How about:
"Since the card is already in the Bond Area at the time of the skill's activation, you may select it as the cost of the skill to flip over to draw a card."

That makes sense! Thank you! Another question though.

If you Leveled up/Classed Changed your MC with Takumi: Evil Bow-Bearing Kin,

Bold Shadow SPEC You may deploy this card even if you already have an allied "Takumi".
CONT You may have maximum of 2 "Takumi" on the battlefield at a time.

Could you then deploy a different Takumi?
If not could you still deploy Takumi: Evil Bow-Bearing Kin?

21 hours ago, Waterhorse928 said:

That makes sense! Thank you! Another question though.

If you Leveled up/Classed Changed your MC with Takumi: Evil Bow-Bearing Kin,

Bold Shadow SPEC You may deploy this card even if you already have an allied "Takumi".
CONT You may have maximum of 2 "Takumi" on the battlefield at a time.

Could you then deploy a different Takumi?
If not could you still deploy Takumi: Evil Bow-Bearing Kin?

You can deploy a different Takumi, whether or not this card is your MC.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I've got a question regarding what happens when your deck is running low and a skill effect calls for revealing more cards in your deck than you have. So, for instance, Skrimir B09-076SR, where the cost of "Showdown Roar" is to flip 2 bonds, but the skill calls for you to "reveal the top 5 cards of your deck." If you had say, 4 cards left in the deck, would you be unable to activate the skill?

Obviously it would be better to have 5 regardless, so that you could have more Fang units to deploy, but it recently came up on a game on Lackey and I was curious if it was even possible. I would assume not, but I figured it would be better to make sure. Especially since this deck has other cards with skills revealing a certain number of topmost deck cards (Elincia B12-033N, Kurthnaga B16-082N).

Thanks in advance!

Edited by AllStarKnight

On 3/16/2020 at 6:17 AM, AllStarKnight said:

Hi, I've got a question regarding what happens when your deck is running low and a skill effect calls for revealing more cards in your deck than you have. So, for instance, Skrimir B09-076SR, where the cost of "Showdown Roar" is to flip 2 bonds, but the skill calls for you to "reveal the top 5 cards of your deck." If you had say, 4 cards left in the deck, would you be unable to activate the skill?

Obviously it would be better to have 5 regardless, so that you could have more Fang units to deploy, but it recently came up on a game on Lackey and I was curious if it was even possible. I would assume not, but I figured it would be better to make sure. Especially since this deck has other cards with skills revealing a certain number of topmost deck cards (Elincia B12-033N, Kurthnaga B16-082N).

Thanks in advance!

I'm fairly certain it works as follows;

When revealing the top five cards, you first reveal 1, then the second, third, and fourth. At this point your deck is empty. As stated in the rules the moment your deck is empty, the game is paused, and your retreat gets shuffled and becomes your deck. After this continue the game by revealing the fifth card.

On 3/16/2020 at 4:17 PM, AllStarKnight said:

Thanks in advance!

If you use Showdown Roar with less than 5 cards in the deck, you reveal the remaining cards in the deck and then stop there. You reshuffle and do not mill more cards. You pick among the cards revealed and proceed as normal.

Great, thank you! It's good to know that effects like these will still work even if you have less cards to reveal than called for. I guess that makes sense, since these cards don't require you to reveal as part of the cost (in which case you would need the exact amount), but rather it's just part of the effect and you just use what remains.

Thank you both, I really appreciate the help!

On 3/4/2020 at 5:39 PM, TheVinceKnight said:

You must resolve Deirdre / Julia's skill entirely before resolving another skill. This means that if you place a card that has a Bond Skill (that can activate when placed) into the Bond Area via these skills, and then put that same card (back into the Retreat Area / into your hand), you cannot resolve that Bond Skill since it is no longer placed in the Bond Area afterwards.
If you choose to keep the said card in the Bond Area instead of throwing it into the Retreat, back into hand, you can still use that Bond Skill.

Unrelated but thanks for this Vince, I have two friends I need to have a chat with now after a disagreement about Leif and Seliph.