Fire Emblem Cipher - Rules and Q&A

Dan

Cipher Wiki  

191 members have voted

1. 1. What kind of wiki should Cipher have? Explanations for these choices are in/around post 160

• Serenes Forest wiki
    • Dediciated wikia
    • Either option is fine

That image is great and does help provide some much needed terminology! However, can we agree to not use the term "Vanguard" when referring to the front line? I would imagine it is accurate, translation wise, but the game already takes a lot from CFV, that I think it's just bad form to do more of it when it isn't necessary.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That image is great and does help provide some much needed terminology! However, can we agree to not use the term "Vanguard" when referring to the front line? I would imagine it is accurate, translation wise, but the game already takes a lot from CFV, that I think it's just bad form to do more of it when it isn't necessary.

To be fair I don't have a problem if we use Vanguard, it is the same word after all.

To be fair I don't have a problem if we use Vanguard, it is the same word after all.

Same. It won't be that hard to differentiate between Vanguard (the game) and vanguard (the position on the play mat).

Sure, sure, but just remember that there is a reason YGO stopped calling them "magic cards", despite it being accurate too lol.

Also, those translated images also yielded other things we did not previously know that I had not noticed. Either it's a translation mistake, or those costs refer to what you need to pay to attack, not to call them. And they use the term "you can use several copies of the same card in a deck" then list the reason why it's bad to just fill your deck with a bunch of the same card. I think that implies no limits to the number of copies of the same card you can put in a deck. Of course, they also explicitly said that you can only have one copy of a card out on the field at a a time. Gonna have to diversify your cards if you want a lot of units on your field. This revelation makes deck building trickier than initially thought, but that just adds to the fun, no?

Sure, sure, but just remember that there is a reason YGO stopped calling them "magic cards", despite it being accurate too lol.

Also, those translated images also yielded other things we did not previously know that I had not noticed. Either it's a translation mistake, or those costs refer to what you need to pay to attack, not to call them. And they use the term "you can use several copies of the same card in a deck" then list the reason why it's bad to just fill your deck with a bunch of the same card. I think that implies no limits to the number of copies of the same card you can put in a deck. Of course, they also explicitly said that you can only have one copy of a card out on the field at a a time. Gonna have to diversify your cards if you want a lot of units on your field. This revelation makes deck building trickier than initially thought, but that just adds to the fun, no?

Where did you find the stuff it says about copies of a card? :o

How 'bout putting everything in a publicly-accesible Google doc, and linking it in your sig?

I'm not quite sure why that didn't occur to me before, that's a good idea. I'll get that accomplished sometime today I hope after putting some finishing touches on it.

You know, I also wouldn't be opposed to changing it away from "Vanguard" to something more like "Front Lines" like what Dan has in the first post. It could eliminate some confusion while still retaining the idea. Honestly it might even fit better with the "Battlefield" motif that Fire Emblem has. It's definitely a good thing to think about and my translation/localization work can always stand to be improved!

EDIT: I just went back through all the other cards and that Starter Deck Lodestar Marth is the only card I used Vanguard for instead of Front Line, but I messed up and the Starter Deck Lodestar Marth ability only affects units on the Rear Guard anyway.

Edited by aubergine

Where did you find the stuff it says about copies of a card? :o

Credit to Kirokan for the translation in the Dengeki scans topic on the IF board.

tcg2j.jpg

Namely, it states that you cannot have the same units multiple times on the battlefield (MTG rules).

Edited by Ayra

Credit to Kirokan for the translation in the Dengeki scans topic on the IF board.

tcg2j.jpg

Namely, it states that you cannot have the same units multiple times on the battlefield (MTG rules).

It does say "several" same name cards, so I'm pretty sure they'll have a limit...

Were there any other images for Cipher in Dengeki?

It does say "several" same name cards, so I'm pretty sure they'll have a limit...

Were there any other images for Cipher in Dengeki?

But wouldn't they have stated the limit if there was one? I would understand for the sake of preventing trolling that there would be limits (like how you can only play 4 sentinels and 4 heal triggers in a deck in CFV, despite the fact that it would be a bad idea to play any more than that in most decks or the upper limit of 60 cards in YGO despite good decks being at most 45). I still take "several" to mean "more than 4", which is the usual limits for these things, so that in itself is significant.

I'm not quite sure why that didn't occur to me before, that's a good idea. I'll get that accomplished sometime today I hope after putting some finishing touches on it.

You know, I also wouldn't be opposed to changing it away from "Vanguard" to something more like "Front Lines" like what Dan has in the first post. It could eliminate some confusion while still retaining the idea. Honestly it might even fit better with the "Battlefield" motif that Fire Emblem has. It's definitely a good thing to think about and my translation/localization work can always stand to be improved!

EDIT: I just went back through all the other cards and that Starter Deck Lodestar Marth is the only card I used Vanguard for instead of Front Line, but I messed up and the Starter Deck Lodestar Marth ability only affects units on the Rear Guard anyway.

If you're going to call it "Front Lines", why not call the other position "Rear Lines"?

It sounds awkward, but so does "Front Lines" and "Rear Guard". . .and rear guards ARE a thing in Vanguard. . . :P:

But wouldn't they have stated the limit if there was one? I would understand for the sake of preventing trolling that there would be limits (like how you can only play 4 sentinels and 4 heal triggers in a deck in CFV, despite the fact that it would be a bad idea to play any more than that in most decks or the upper limit of 60 cards in YGO despite good decks being at most 45). I still take "several" to mean "more than 4", which is the usual limits for these things, so that in itself is significant.

Any deck that's counter-blast heavy and lacks consistent damage unflipping would be fine with it. Eradicators would appreciate it! But that's because I kinda suck at drawing Saikei when I need him (and because clipsey needs to stop spamming Tempest Bolt, even if my opponent is Aqua Force and deserves it).

It wouldn't surprise me if the upper limit is "one".

The only other page about Cipher in Dengeki was posted last page of this topic.

Anyway, here's the interesting things that comes from it in my opinion:

1) Tiki was the main character chosen in the gameplay example. So it's definitively not Lords only.

2) It states that you cannot have more than 1 copy of the same character on the battlefield at the same time. Does that include different class/level of the same character?

3) There's no stated limits to how many copies of a character you can have in your deck (though there might well be in the full rules).

4) Crits double the attack power AFTER support values. In the example, (Chrom 40 + 20 for the Tharja support) * 2 = 120 total attack power.

5) The first page seems to indicate that the requirement for playing a card is to have enough bonds in play to play the card (ie. My original theory).

6) The second page says that you need to spend bonds to attack (???)

So to conclude... I'm confused.

On the upside, they're still ironing out the rules. But if there is a bond cost to attack, then I think the bonds flip back over at the beginning of your turn (otherwise, it would be really hard to use skills).

The only other page about Cipher in Dengeki was posted last page of this topic.

Anyway, here's the interesting things that comes from it in my opinion:

1) Tiki was the main character chosen in the gameplay example. So it's definitively not Lords only.

2) It states that you cannot have more than 1 copy of the same character on the battlefield at the same time. Does that include different class/level of the same character?

3) There's no stated limits to how many copies of a character you can have in your deck (though there might well be in the full rules).

4) Crits double the attack power AFTER support values. In the example, (Chrom 40 + 20 for the Tharja support) * 2 = 120 total attack power.

5) The first page seems to indicate that the requirement for playing a card is to have enough bonds in play to play the card (ie. My original theory).

6) The second page says that you need to spend bonds to attack (???)

So to conclude... I'm confused.

1) I am glad they confirmed that and it does appear to be the case. People will be interested in this game for the sake of waifu/husbando decks, after all.

2) I see it as only one copy of the same card out at a time, but there are no limits to character. Would be weird if you can't play Marth with that Lucina card. I'm thinking as to how this would be possible, lore wise, is that these are Eirenjar (?) like in the Outrealms in Awakening (at least I think that is how it is? It's been a while lol).

3) I am thinking it will be at least more than 4 copies allowed. It would be a shame to limit the effectiveness of the persona blasters (such as Navarre) like that. And it isn't like having no limit would break the game as far as I can tell. If you think about it, having a deck of all the same card will cause you to lose quickly as you will only have one attacker.

4) And I didn't catch that! Kinda nice. Just note that evasion happens after doing the crit, as far as I can tell, but going critical to force an evasion isn't so bad.

5) As it should be.

6) I wish I had a clue there. I have no idea what to make of that. One does have to wonder how bond flipping works still.

And yeah, front lines and rear lines, Eclipse. And then front character and rear character.

If you're going to call it "Front Lines", why not call the other position "Rear Lines"?

It sounds awkward, but so does "Front Lines" and "Rear Guard". . .and rear guards ARE a thing in Vanguard. . . :P:

Any deck that's counter-blast heavy and lacks consistent damage unflipping would be fine with it. Eradicators would appreciate it! But that's because I kinda suck at drawing Saikei when I need him (and because clipsey needs to stop spamming Tempest Bolt, even if my opponent is Aqua Force and deserves it).

It wouldn't surprise me if the upper limit is "one".

Hmm, that disparity between terms is also a good point. Honestly, if I had to choose between "Front Lines/Rear Lines" and "Vanguard/Rear Guard" I'd pick Vanguard/Rear Guard due to the fact that those as a pair sound better than Front Lines/Rear Lines and the fact that those terms fit much better with the Medieval motif that Fire Emblem has. I really don't know anything about the other card game called Vanguard, but honestly would it cause that much confusion to just go with Vanguard/Rear Guard then?

Out of curiosity/practice/etc, I translated Marth's card and put it on the image as a sort of proof of concept. The terminology is a little different as I did not know this thread existed until now, though, and just went with the same terminology I used on the Dengeki scans... hope it doesn't cause too much confusion.

marthtranslatej1.jpg

A = Activation / S = Support

Edited by Kirokan

I have another "booster pack" translation update and some interesting notes about the prediction of cards that have not been shown in any capacity.

While filling out the companion catalog I found certain patterns that suggest the existence of certain cards and what their card ID will be.

Capture.png

For example the Catria, Est, Palla Falcoknight cards are not 1 number apart in their Card IDs, but 2. This suggests that each of their unpromoted cards would be the cards in between, B01-037, 39, and 41 respectively. However, I'm a bit hesitant to completely assume that this is the case due to a counterexample existing already. Further down the list, the Maribelle and Gaius IDs place them right next to each other, which would suggest that if there are other cards to go along with their promotions, they aren't numerically in line. It might also mean that they won't have booster card versions of their other class. Or, as a 3rd alternative, this could be due to the card images being representative of different prototype runs of the entire set, and that the numbering system that governs the above 3 cards does not govern the below 2 cards.

Capture_1.png

All that being said, the test pool is quite low in terms of card IDs, so hopefully we can know more once we get some better images of cards.

As for the new translations, unfortunately these are the last four with complete text from images available. I want to keep working on the others as much as possible and hopefully new images will surface but for now these are all the ones that can have complete translations as far as I know. Further cards will be much more peacemeal until better images surface...which might not be until Cipher comes out.

Paladin Cain

Cain (Bull of the Altean Guard) – Rarity: ? / Series 1 ?

Cost: 3 / Promotion Cost: 2

Affinities: Shadow Dragon / Male / Sword / Mounted

Quote: “Come…have a taste of my sword!

Skill 1: “Blessed Knight’s Protection” / ∞ / Your opponent’s Rear Guard cannot attack this unit or allies of 2 or less placement cost.

Skill 2: “Dancing Lances of Red & Green” / & / [This can only be performed while Abel is in play and has not taken an action] Once this unit has initiated an attack, if you pay the cost for both units then this unit’s attack is increased by 40.

Support Skill: N/A

Attack Power: 60

Support Attack Power: 10

Range: 1

Promoted

Class: Paladin

Title: Bull of the Altean Guard

Card ID: ?

Illustrator: ?

Pegasus Knight Cordelia

Cordelia (Vastly Talented Pegasus Knight) – Rarity ? / Series 1 ?

Cost: 1 / Promotion Cost: N/A

Affinities: Awakening / Female / Lance / Flying / Mounted

Quote: “I must prevail!”

Skill 1: “Rescue” / α / [Tap this Card] Choose one ally unit and move it.

Skill 2: N/A

Attack Support Skill: “Flyer Emblem” / ♥ / You may choose one ally that is not an attacking unit and move it.

Attack Power: 30

Support Attack Power: 30

Unpromoted

Class: Pegasus Knight

Title: Vastly Talented Pegasus Knight

Swordmaster Navarre (different from earlier Navarre card)

Navarre Wielder of a Bloody Blade – Rarity ? / Series 1 ?

Affinities: Shadow Dragon / Male / Sword

Quote: It can’t be helped…you die here.

Skill 1: “Killing Edge” / α / [Flip 3 Bonds] Until the end of this turn this unit’s attacks cannot be avoided.

Skill 2: “Solo Swordsman” / ∞ / If Navarre and the Main Character are the only units on your battlefield, then this unit’s attack is increased by 10.

Promoted

Class: Swordmaster

Title: Wielder of a Bloody Blade

Pegasus Knight Sumia

Sumia – Rarity ? / Series 1 ?

Quote: “He loves me…he loves me not…”

Attack Support Skill: “Flyer Emblem” / ♥ / You may choose one ally that is not an attacking unit and move it.

Unpromoted

Title: Maiden of Flower Fortunes

You can click the links in my signature for the full updated lists!

Edited by aubergine

I have another "booster pack" translation update and some interesting notes about the prediction of cards that have not been shown in any capacity.

While filling out the companion catalog I found certain patterns that suggest the existence of certain cards and what their card ID will be.

Capture.png

For example the Catria, Est, Palla Falcoknight cards are not 1 number apart in their Card IDs, but 2. This suggests that each of their unpromoted cards would be the cards in between, B01-037, 39, and 41 respectively. However, I'm a bit hesitant to completely assume that this is the case due to a counterexample existing already. Further down the list, the Maribelle and Gaius IDs place them right next to each other, which would suggest that if there are other cards to go along with their promotions, they aren't numerically in line. It might also mean that they won't have booster card versions of their other class. Or, as a 3rd alternative, this could be due to the card images being representative of different prototype runs of the entire set, and that the numbering system that governs the above 3 cards does not govern the below 2 cards.

Capture_1.png

All that being said, the test pool is quite low in terms of card IDs, so hopefully we can know more once we get some better images of cards.

As for the new translations, unfortunately these are the last four with complete text from images available. I want to keep working on the others as much as possible and hopefully new images will surface but for now these are all the ones that can have complete translations as far as I know. Further cards will be much more peacemeal until better images surface...which might not be until Cipher comes out.

Paladin Cain

Cain (Bull of the Altean Guard) – Rarity: ? / Series 1 ?

Affinities: Shadow Dragon / Male / Sword / Mounted

Quote: “Come…have a taste of my sword!

Skill 1: “Blessed Knight’s Protection” / ∞ / Your opponent’s Rear Guard cannot attack this unit or allies of 2 or less placement cost.

Skill 2: “Dancing Lances of Red & Green” / & / [This can only be performed while Abel is in play and has not taken an action] Once this unit has initiated an attack, if you pay the cost for both units then this unit’s attack is increased by 40.

Promoted

Class: Paladin

Title: Bull of the Altean Guard

Pegasus Knight Cordelia

Cordelia (Vastly Talented Pegasus Knight) – Rarity ? / Series 1 ?

Quote: “I must prevail!”

Unpromoted

Title: Vastly Talented Pegasus Knight

Swordmaster Navarre (different from earlier Navarre card)

Navarre Wielder of a Bloody Blade – Rarity ? / Series 1 ?

Affinities: Shadow Dragon / Male / Sword

Quote: It can’t be helped…you die here.

Skill 1: “Killing Edge” / 224 / [Flip 3 Bonds] Until the end of this turn this unit’s attacks cannot be avoided.

Skill 2: “Solo Swordsman” / 236 / If Navarre and the Main Character are the only units on your batt

Promoted

Class: Swordmaster

Title: Wielder of a Bloody Blade

Pegasus Knight Sumia

Sumia – Rarity ? / Series 1 ?

Quote: “He loves me…he loves me not…”

Unpromoted

Title: Maiden of Flower Fortunes

You can click the links in my signature for the full updated lists!

Oh wow, thanks for pointing out the existence of that companion guide! Do you mind if I use these translations to typeset onto cards? Just need to get good resolution pictures of the cards themselves now...

Oh wow, thanks for pointing out the existence of that companion guide! Do you mind if I use these translations to typeset onto cards? Just need to get good resolution pictures of the cards themselves now...

I don't mind at all, in fact I was hoping that card mock ups could be created eventually since we still don't know if Cipher will ever make it out of Japan. That Marth you did is quite well done, thanks for the hard work on making English card images! If you do end up using my translations on English card image mock ups my only request is that you put my username alongside yours in the watermark at the bottom.

On the card resolution, that's quite the conundrum at the moment. I did my best to find the best images possible for each card to put in the companion guide, but so many of them are very low resolution phone quality pictures. I'm always on the hunt for better pictures, and I'll let you know if I find any new ones!

I don't mind at all, in fact I was hoping that card mock ups could be created eventually since we still don't know if Cipher will ever make it out of Japan. That Marth you did is quite well done, thanks for the hard work on making English card images! If you do end up using my translations on English card image mock ups my only request is that you put my username alongside yours in the watermark at the bottom.

On the card resolution, that's quite the conundrum at the moment. I did my best to find the best images possible for each card to put in the companion guide, but so many of them are very low resolution phone quality pictures. I'm always on the hunt for better pictures, and I'll let you know if I find any new ones!

Of course! I wouldn't go without giving credit where credit is due. : ) Thanks!

Indeed, I'm on the look out too. I'll be importing two starter decks and boosters when they actually come out too, so at least I'll be able to scan in some of them. I'll start working on mock-ups of cards that are already legible though!

The FE Cipher Twitter just updated with a look at a Cordelia card.

cUdaFHF.jpg

"【カード紹介】天才騎士ティアモです。1ターンで2回攻撃が可能になる「疾風迅雷」を使いこなせば、戦局を有利に進められます。戦闘力がやや低いので、仲間との連携がカギとなります。(Illust:YangYang) #FEcipher "

source: https://twitter.com/FEcipher/status/603395505922547712

I wasn't sure if I should post this in here or the Twitter thread so I posted them in the both. Apologies.

Out of curiosity/practice/etc, I translated Marth's card and put it on the image as a sort of proof of concept. The terminology is a little different as I did not know this thread existed until now, though, and just went with the same terminology I used on the Dengeki scans... hope it doesn't cause too much confusion.

marthtranslatej1.jpg

A = Activation / S = Support

I have an idea as to how to utilize those images you have made. When the wiki does finally get up and running, do you mind the idea of providing links to those images at Kantopia so people can easily get to them and use them to make proxies? Anyone have objections to that idea?

The FE Cipher Twitter just updated with a look at a Cordelia card.

cUdaFHF.jpg

"【カード紹介】天才騎士ティアモです。1ターンで2回攻撃が可能になる「疾風迅雷」を使いこなせば、戦局を有利に進められます。戦闘力がやや低いので、仲間との連携がカギとなります。(Illust:YangYang) #FEcipher "

source: https://twitter.com/FEcipher/status/603395505922547712

I wasn't sure if I should post this in here or the Twitter thread so I posted them in the both. Apologies.

Wow, there's Galeforce in this game too? :V

I'm not sure if this was brought up or not, but in regards to the subject of how many cards will be in this series, it looks like 100 + 14 others? It is mentioned at the bottom of this page. If this is true, then it is very likely that there will have to be other series with Shadow Dragon and Awakening cards, since not every unit would be covered in this series due to each one having multiple cards. I have yet to see a Shadow Dragon card with a number higher than 49 and an Awakening one lower than 53, not counting the Starter Deck exclusive cards. I assume by this that the series cut-off is 50.

But, who knows for certain? I guess we'll know for sure once the game is actually out or if this is clarified before then.

I've got another translation booster pack ready for the reading. I was able to almost completely translate all 4 new cards that were revealed today, the Tiki card is missing one Skill name and the Hero Severa card is missing pretty much all of the flavor text, but does have all the technical text finished.

The new Cordelia card is interesting since it is the first card so far that has really represented the strengths of a class entirely, the Dark Flier class.

Pegasus Knight Paragon Cordelia:

Cordelia%20Dark%20Flier%20B01-075SR.jpg

Cordelia (Pegasus Knight Paragon) – Rarity: Super Rare / Series 1 Booster Card #075

Quote: “If you're a friend, speak now. If not, then stay out of Chrom's way.”

Skill 1: “Galeforce” / & / After this unit defeats an enemy with an attack, return this unit to the pre-action state.

Skill 2: CCS “Handmade Javelins” / α / [Flip 1 Bond] Until the end of this turn, all allied Flying affinity unit’s attacks are considered lance attacks with a range of 1-2. (CCS: If this unit was placed without the promotion unit cost, this skill is inactive)

Attack Power: 50

Promoted

Class: Dark Flier

Title: Pegasus Knight Paragon

Card ID: B01-075SR

Illustrator: YangYang

Cleric Lissa is functionally the same as Troubadour Maribelle, so nothing really new of technical/gameplay note here.

Sprightly Cleric Lissa:

Lissa%20Cleric%20B01-060N.png

Lissa (Sprightly Cleric) – Rarity: Common / Series 1 Booster Card #060

Affinities: Awakening / Female / Staff

Quote: “Don’t forget me!”

Skill 1: “Heal” / α / [Tap this Card, Flip 2 Bonds] Choose a card from your discard pile except "Lissa" and add it to your hand.

Defense Support Skill: "Healer's Emblem" / ♥ / Until the end of the attack phase the attacking unit can't perform Critical Hits.

Support Attack Power: 20

Range: --

Unpromoted

Class: Cleric

Title: Sprightly Cleric

Card ID: B01-060N

Illustrator: 40原

Hero Severa is hard to read. The gist of the skills are there, but no flavor text yet. I'm still working on it.

Hero Severa:

Severa%20Hero%20B01-094HN.png

Severa (!!!!!) – Rarity: Uncommon / Series 1 Booster Card #094

Cost 3 / Promotion Cost: 2

Affinities: Awakening / Female / Staff

Quote: “!!!!!

Skill 1: “!!!!!” / ∞ / When this unit attacks an axe affinity unit, this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Skill 2: CCS “” / ∞ / If the unit supporting Severa is a male, then this unit’s attack is increased by 10. (CCS: If this unit was placed without the promotion unit cost, this skill is inactive)

Promoted

Class: Hero

Title: !!!!!

Card ID: B01-094HN

Illustrator: 46

The new Tiki card is perhaps the most interesting of all the new ones from today. This is the first card we have seen have 3 full skills. Also, Skill 2 for this card is word for word the same as Skill 1 on the older Tiki card, but instead of 4 Bond cards this one needs 8. The name is the same though, so this might be troublesome when trying to refer to this skill generally when it comes to the wiki.

Manakete Princess Tiki:

Tiki%20Manakete%20B01-045SR.png

Tiki (Manakete Princess) – Rarity: Super Rare / Series 1 Booster Card #045

Cost: 5 / Promotion Cost: N/A

Affinities: Shadow Dragon / Female / Stone / Dragon

Quote: “I…I thought that nightmare would never end…”

Skill 1: “!!!!!” / ∞ / During your turn, when discarding this card’s Support unit you may instead put it in the Bond Area.

Skill 2: “Ancient Dragon Tribe” / ∞ / If there are 8 or more cards in your Bond Area, then this unit's attack increases by 30.

Skill 3: “Divine Stone” / ∞ / When this unit attacks a dragon affinity unit, this unit’s attack is increased by 20.

Support Attack Power: 20

Non-promotable

Class: Manakete

Title: Manakete Princess

Card ID: B01-045SR

Illustrator: Fuzichoco

As always, the new cards have been added to the more expansive lists as well.

I'm not sure if this was brought up or not, but in regards to the subject of how many cards will be in this series, it looks like 100 + 14 others? It is mentioned at the bottom of this page. If this is true, then it is very likely that there will have to be other series with Shadow Dragon and Awakening cards, since not every unit would be covered in this series due to each one having multiple cards. I have yet to see a Shadow Dragon card with a number higher than 49 and an Awakening one lower than 53, not counting the Starter Deck exclusive cards. I assume by this that the series cut-off is 50.

But, who knows for certain? I guess we'll know for sure once the game is actually out or if this is clarified before then.

This is something I've been trying to figure out as well. So far Card IDs suggest precisely what you were talking about: the 100 booster cards are divided down the middle at 50 each for both Shadow Dragon and Awakening cards. I do wonder if they will update the site closer to release day adding that there will be more though. It will be interesting to see, because yeah if there are only 100, there really won't be much diversity in cards in order to make different decks.

Edited by aubergine