The Animated Cutscenes are Looking On Point

Rawkstar

Forgive me if I missed it, but I haven't seen a thread dedicated to the cut scenes that we can expect to see in the game. Just wanted to make this thread to talk about the CGI that we've been seeing in the trailers, especially the most recent one! The art-style of the cut-scenes seem to be very similar to those of Awakening, which I personally really enjoyed. The animations are extremely fluid and just so unique to the series, I'm loving the way it's looking. But what's even better is the number of characters that we can confirm to see in the cut-scenes. If there's one thing that really bothered me about Awakening, it was how we only saw Robin, Chrom, Lucina, Emm, Lissa, Validar, Grima, and Risen/soldiers in the cutscenes. Of the massive cast we had in Awakening, we saw 7ish characters, 3 of which weren't even playable (one is in the after-game, but that's different). With the new trailers released for Fire Emblem If, we already know that we're going to see WAY more characters in these cut scenes, and that excites me a lot! Characters we're guaranteed to see include: Kamui, Dancer, Ryouma, Takumi, Hinoka, Sakura, Marx, Garon, Camilla, Dark Mage guy, Blonde Nohrian healer?, the Hoshido leader, and the poor bastard who was being executed. That's already WAY more characters than we saw in the cut scenes of Awakening. It seems like we're going to be seeing a lot more cutscenes than we have in previous games, even if Fire Emblem IF is split into two separate paths.

So, what are your thoughts on this?

Sounds good to me. Since, sadly, the engine the game uses isn't wonderful for showing off the characters in normal cutscenes (the 3D models, at least; obviously portraits are fine), the prospect of more CGI is definitely a positive.

More cutscenes are always welcome, they were beautiful in Awakening and they look to be just as good, but with a larger host of characters appearing in them. What's not to like?

I think IS is going all out this time, but in a different way than how they went all out for Awakening. Awakening was all about the past, but I think If can shape up to be a very outstanding checkpoint for the future of Fire Emblem.

It's all so prettyyyy~

Is it too ambitious to wish that they'll use more 3D CGI like the one at the beginning of the first trailer, at least for important cutscenes like the opening sequence? :X

I, too, am very excited for the prospect of more cutscenes. They're really great for giving us a better view of how the characters feel and the atmoshpere. The choice scene already makes me feel pressured to make the 'right choice' and we've only seen but a few short moments of it. Yes, I am very much looking forward to great and more cutscenes.

Is it too ambitious to wish that they'll use more 3D CGI like the one at the beginning of the first trailer, at least for important cutscenes like the opening sequence? :X

I think art style is more what you're asking for, everything in the game is 3D CGI made to look more like 2D anime (and in games like SMT x FE, the difference can be almost indistinguishable).

Judging on the two trailers alone, If should have a bit more than Awakening, at the very least; I don't want to be overly optimistic, but I'd love if it wound up being twice as much, given having two separate versions for both paths works around the small capacity of the 3DS cartridge. The trailer for the Awakening had a snippet of nearly half of the scenes, if I'm remembering correctly, and unless the shots with Kamira/Camilla and the blonde mage from Nohr really are only 2 seconds long, there should be lots of transitions. The whole war sequence with the decision seems fairly long on its own.

With that said, I'm curious to see how many route-exclusive scenes we'll get; the recent preview implies at least one per path -- potentially two or three.

I concur with most everyone that the cut scenes are beautiful, but an abundance of them won't be worth a whit if the gameplay and story are lacking. I'd rather have a lackluster game that's fun and unique than a hot mess.

I concur with most everyone that the cut scenes are beautiful, but an abundance of them won't be worth a whit if the gameplay and story are lacking. I'd rather have a lackluster game that's fun and unique than a hot mess.

Oh, of course gameplay and story come first. I think everyone here can agree on that, beautiful cutscenes would just be a welcome addition to a great story with great gameplay.

I also loved the cutscenes in Awakening, so seeing them return is great. Though I do hope we don't get TOO many cutscenes...

I'm not worried about that personally. While it looks like we'll be getting more of them than in Awakening (which is good considering how amazing they look), I'd be very surprised if there's a huge amount of them. And I think we're safe from those 10+ minutes cutscenes you see in other game.

The CGI cutscenes I recall were made by an (extremely talented) outside team to the people working on the gameplay, so I don't think this will be an issue.

Judging on the two trailers alone, If should have a bit more than Awakening, at the very least; I don't want to be overly optimistic, but I'd love if it wound up being twice as much, given having two separate versions for both paths works around the small capacity of the 3DS cartridge. The trailer for the Awakening had a snippet of nearly half of the scenes, if I'm remembering correctly, and unless the shots with Kamira/Camilla and the blonde mage from Nohr really are only 2 seconds long, there should be lots of transitions. The whole war sequence with the decision seems fairly long on its own.

With that said, I'm curious to see how many route-exclusive scenes we'll get; the recent preview implies at least one per path -- potentially two or three.

I was thinking that the majority of the scenes will be route exclusive, I don't see how they could do the same scenes between the two paths. If this is the case (most are route exclusive), then it's almost guaranteed to have twice as many as Awakening. Of course that's simply a theory. In either event, we're seeing tons of shots, I'm really excited to see how it's utilized.

I also loved the cutscenes in Awakening, so seeing them return is great. Though I do hope we don't get TOO many cutscenes...

As long as Kojima doesn't get involved, we should be fine :P (Though I really wouldn't mind 15 minute scenes....)

While I think that some of these cutscenes are for the trailer only, I would really really love to see more cutscenes than Awakening had. Awakening had what, six of them? And most of them were under a minute long. I think the longest one is Emmeryn's sacrifice and even then that one's a minute and a half.

I'd definitely love to see more, and preferably longer cutscenes. I'm not saying like metal gear long, but definitely longer than what Awakening had.

I was thinking that the majority of the scenes will be route exclusive, I don't see how they could do the same scenes between the two paths. If this is the case (most are route exclusive), then it's almost guaranteed to have twice as many as Awakening. Of course that's simply a theory. In either event, we're seeing tons of shots, I'm really excited to see how it's utilized.

The only scenes we've caught a glimpse of that absolutely cannot occur within the same path (unless Kamui somehow manages to betray both sets of royalty down the road...) would be the ones where characters condemn them for their decision. If they do exist, most of the unique scenes would probably be too spoiler-filled to release outside of the game.

Assuming every shot within the trailer makes it to the game, most of them seem to occur before chapter 6. The abduction scene is likely to be the prologue, the scene with Aqua singing before a lake is set before the split, the battle itself is chapter 6... Anything with just Aqua and/or Kamui can be shared between the different routes. There's also nothing preventing the scenes showcasing the rest of the main cast from occurring early, but due to how cramped that'd be, I agree that they'll wind up being either route-exclusive or used strictly for promotional purposes.

As long as Kojima doesn't get involved, we should be fine :P (Though I really wouldn't mind 15 minute scenes....)

That would be pretty awesome actually if done right. It sucks the 3ds probably isn't powerful enough to do that though.

I can't say any cutscene length would bother me, as long as the game keeps alive its wonderful tradition of allowing me to skip them when I'm not in the mood or just playing the game for the sixth time.

Though realistically there's both a disc space limitation, as mentioned, and budget limitation on how many they could have.

I'm curious about how the "choice" cut scene will function. We've seen what can be deduced as the chapter 6 map, fighting from the Hoshido side so one would presume the choice (and cutscene) happens before you start the map. What will be the chapter goal? Fight ALL of the opposite side family? That would be a pretty brutal battle for something as early as chapter 6.

Doubt the cutscenes will be much longer than Awakening's considering it is a handheld system as opposed to home consoles, but who knows.

And as mentioned above, storage space.

Edited by Vineron

I've got a question: how much of the cutscences we've seen so far belong solely to the intro cinematic? I realize it's not difficult to say right now, but we should be able to speculate. For instance, I highly doubt the upskirt scene with Hinoka is part of the game; I've got no real proof, but I have a hard time seeing where she would just drop out of the sky and jump on a Pegasus in the middle of the air (and do some fan service while she's at it) as part of the actual storyline. Then again, I might've said the same thing about Lucina and Chrom's fight.