Possible mission objectives?

CrownEther93

From having only played 3 fire emblem games, I was wondering what already existing mission objectives they could implement into the new game. Fire Emblem Awakening had a large majority of its mission objectives as simply rout all the enemies, but I think the nature of the new game, Fire Emblem If, and how it's split into two stories opens up a lot of possibilities in terms of mission objectives for each map. For instance, having a map in the Nohr version with the condition that you have to assassinate a Hoshidan royal or a corrupt individual within the Nohr government in a specific number of turns or have you rescuing captured allies from the opposing side with a limited number of allies (maybe only 1? lol). These ideas probably exist elsewhere in other Fire Emblem games, but what kind of mission objectives or clear conditions (pre-existing or completely new) would you like to see in FE If?

Throughout the series there has been.

Seize

Rout

Defeat Boss

Escape

Defence

And various variations and more. I hope we get everything back and more. I got super sick of Rout.

I've been thinking about a "don't kill units of X affiliation", meaning you have to avoid being near them, or they'll kill themselves attacking your units. It seems like a plausible objective considering the type of game we're getting, and would work even better in the story many think the third route will be like.

Edited by Thane

I've been thinking about a "don't kill units of X affiliation", meaning you have to avoid being near them, or they'll kill themselves attacking your units. It seems like a plausible objective considering the type of game we're getting, and would work even better in the story many think the third route will be.

That seems really interesting :o The dragon vein ability your avatar has could maybe be a part of that objective where you can maybe block off enemy units by removing platforms or maybe form platforms to run away. We don't know the limitations or extent of the dragon vein ability yet, so I'm just assuming at this point, but that would be pretty cool!

In Fire Emblem Awakening, there was an extra condition you had to clear to recruit a character named Donnel, where you had to level him up at least once in addition to routing all the enemies. So I was wondering if there might be more conditions like those in the new game, which were character specific?

Also, a fun objective I was thinking of was maybe "Open all the chests/pilfer all the items", where you have a map full of treasure chests and thieves and you have to somehow manage to protect the chests from enemy thieves, open them before they do, or attack and prevent them from running away with the items if they do open the chests before you do. I don't know how they could implement this objective into the story or if this objective might seem too impractical or silly, but it might be really fun since you would really have to micro manage your units well to clear the objective XD. In past games, I always had a hard time dealing with enemies on top of getting to chests before their thieves did and sometimes I would lose those chest items because I let the thieves run away and off the map lol.

Edited by CrownEther93

I'd love to get more Escape and especially more defense battles. Man those fights in Crimea Castle and Knox Fortress were just so marvelous! I don't know if the 3DS can capture their scope or feeling but, I'd love for them to try.

I'm also a bit interested in something Fire Emblem Path of Radiance did which can tie in with what Ether said. Remember that one prison map where we got Kieran, Brom, and Nephenee, well there was another objective of just being stealthy and clear the map that way to get some BEXP. They could implement that with Nohr since it's linear unlike Hoshido's world map approach, it could help give an incentive for gamers to play the stages differently in order to get the maximum reward possible.

Edited by almi23

I'd love to get more Escape and especially more defense battles. Man those fights in Crimea Castle and Knox Fortress were just so marvelous! I don't know if the 3DS can capture their scope or feeling but, I'd love for them to try.

I'm also a bit interested in something Fire Emblem Path of Radiance did which can tie in with what Ether said. Remember that one prison map where we got Kieran, Brom, and Nephenee, well there was another objective of just being stealthy and clear the map that way to get some BEXP. They could implement that with Nohr since it's linear unlike Hoshido's world map approach, it could help give an incentive for gamers to play the stages differently in order to get the maximum reward possible.

Ooh, maybe the way the Nohr path is more difficult could be because of these added objectives that give you bonus EXP like in Path of Radiance? It would certainly help to balance the game in comparison to the Hoshido path where they said you could more freely build up your characters and stuff! Like maybe if you wanted to "grind" and toughen up your units a bit more, the only way you would be able to do that would be through the bonus EXP objectives (which would hence make the game more difficult in comparison to the Hoshido path)? What other bonus EXP objectives were there in Path of Radiance? I've never played PoR that much (I've been meaning to), but maybe they might use that B-EXP objective system again for this game? That would certainly be pretty cool! :P

The objectives need to be really meaningful or else it just feel like killing everything (routing) renamed. I will prefer something like having mini castles/or something that spawn unlimit amount of enemies and the only way to stop the spawning is to seize these castles/thing and then seize the main objective to end, this way we have a incentive and the urgency to actually seize and not just kill everything and then end. Also something like splitting up the army into two, one act as decoy to lure the main force of the enemies but they aren't playable (they will appeared as green unit); the playable units need to kill the boss to win. If we didn't kill the boss fast enough, the decoy units will be overwhelmed by a large number of enemies and potentially die as well. We have no way aid them and how wellthey will fend off will be based how well they're trained beforehand. This way we actually need to kill the boss instead of just casually killing everything then the boss. Defending actually need us to rotate our units around, blocking passage, as well as having no way of winning (as in we can't end early by just killing everything and as in surrounded by a holy shit amount of non-stoppable infinite spawning enemies ) and must force player to defend smartly. But I doubt IS is smart enough to do these thing, have a secondary objective of just routing to end as well as in addition to primary objectives of seize, boss killing, defend or whatever redundant stuffs is fine with me.

Want more defense missions like that one towards the end of Part 3 of RD where it's more than just a single square you have to defend, you had to defend that whole line. Been playing a lot of SRT as well and I find there to be a lot of defend a specific area type missions that are pretty fun.

Defend missions; We had 1 in Awakening with Tiki I believe, but it lacked the intensity that previous games had. Sitting in a row of flowers acting as a literal meat shield with little other strategy wasn't very cool. Would like to see more terrain that would add different areas to block off.

Not really a part of missions, but a side objectives like how when you recruit Owain you can get bonus items by saving the villagers; similarly in RD when you have the choice of, A) Kill the senators. B) Loot from the senators(If you have a thief that wont die instantly) or C) Let them all live because you lack the requirements for B, but still want the bexp.
Similarly, more difficult to recruit people would be cool too(Looking at you Katarina). I don't think Rout missions are that bad, I just think they need some extra depth to them, which adding better side objectives can do(To an extent, obviously I don't want full Rout missions).

Some Escape missions would be really cool as well, but I'm not craving them or anything.

The objectives need to be really meaningful or else it just feel like killing everything (routing) renamed. I will prefer something like having mini castles/or something that spawn unlimit amount of enemies and the only way to stop the spawning is to seize these castles/thing and then seize the main objective to end, this way we have a incentive and the urgency to actually seize and not just kill everything and then end. Also something like splitting up the army into two, one act as decoy to lure the main force of the enemies but they aren't playable (they will appeared as green unit); the playable units need to kill the boss to win. If we didn't kill the boss fast enough, the decoy units will be overwhelmed by a large number of enemies and potentially die as well. We have no way aid them and how wellthey will fend off will be based how well they're trained beforehand. This way we actually need to kill the boss instead of just casually killing everything then the boss. Defending actually need us to rotate our units around, blocking passage, as well as having no way of winning (as in we can't end early by just killing everything and as in surrounded by a holy shit amount of non-stoppable infinite spawning enemies ) and must force player to defend smartly. But I doubt IS is smart enough to do these thing, have a secondary objective of just routing to end as well as in addition to primary objectives of seize, boss killing, defend or whatever redundant stuffs is fine with me.

also it could be a good way of grinding for levels in the nohr path

also it could be a good way of grinding for levels in the nohr path

Why does everyone want grinding on the Nohr path? Has the Arena grinding mentality of the GBA Fe's come back in full force..?

Why does everyone want grinding on the Nohr path? Has the Arena grinding mentality of the GBA Fe's come back in full force..?

because nohr is said to be decidedly harder than hoshido, and w/ less opportunities for grinding and/or gaining money. some people are saying no traversable world map, but i do doubt that. tl;dr it's because it's designed to be the harder path, and grinding a few units so they can catch up to the rest may be needed b/c of that.

because nohr is said to be decidedly harder than hoshido, and w/ less opportunities for grinding and/or gaining money. some people are saying no traversable world map, but i do doubt that. tl;dr it's because it's designed to be the harder path, and grinding a few units so they can catch up to the rest may be needed b/c of that.

FE has always been beatable without grinding. Every single one, why that would stop now or Nohr actually being super difficult isn't very likely. Despite what was said.

I've been thinking about a "don't kill units of X affiliation", meaning you have to avoid being near them, or they'll kill themselves attacking your units. It seems like a plausible objective considering the type of game we're getting, and would work even better in the story many think the third route will be like.

I could see something like that happening on the Hoshido path. Say the enemy captured the family of a Hoshido officer and is forcing his soldiers to fight for Nohr. You mission objective is to rescue the hostages while avoiding the 'enemy' Hoshido units. After the hostages are rescued, the 'enemy' Hoshido units turn into allied units and the rest of the map is a rout mission.

Defend missions; We had 1 in Awakening with Tiki I believe, but it lacked the intensity that previous games had. Sitting in a row of flowers acting as a literal meat shield with little other strategy wasn't very cool. Would like to see more terrain that would add different areas to block off.

I liked that map. All the enemies had high movement so you basically had to one round each and every unit that came your way. And Tiki could only take like 2 hits so I thought it was pretty intense. More complex Defend maps are also welcome, however.

Just. . .give us some variety! I don't mind rout/defeat X/seize, but not when it's the entire game! Wouldn't mind seeing arrive/escape, defend, and "capture and hold multiple spots".

didn't the direct literally say that there wouldn't be a world map?

...no? It just said there would be "limited" opportunities for exp and items and that in Hoshido these will be plentiful.

okay yeah the direct was pretty sparse on details

mooching from the main site tho

Fire Emblem if Hoshido

A story focusing on protecting your Hoshidan birthplace and royal siblings from the Nohrian invasion. Outside the main story, you can earn experience and funds and freely develop your characters.

Fire Emblem if Nohr

In this story, you work with your Nohrian royal siblings to revolutionise the unruly Nohr from the inside. Compared to Hoshido, the difficulty is higher, with limited opportunities to earn experience and funds.

Interestingly, Nintendo wasn’t lying when they said the Nohr path would be harder. It seems as if there will be a world map or some other facility in the Hoshido path that lets you level up characters outside of the story like in Awakening, The Sacred Stones and Gaiden. But not in the Nohr path.

so yeah not explicitly confirmed as world map or not - my b - but "Hoshido with map, Nohr without" seems like a reasonable guess to me...

having the ability to grind on Nohr route kind of undermines "limited opportunities"

edit: I was a bit ambiguous in my earlier post; I meant "wouldn't be a world map in nohr"

Edited by Euklyd

okay yeah the direct was pretty sparse on details

mooching from the main site tho

so yeah not explicitly confirmed as world map or not - my b - but "Hoshido with map, Nohr without" seems like a reasonable guess to me...

having the ability to grind on Nohr route kind of undermines "limited opportunities"

edit: I was a bit ambiguous in my earlier post; I meant "wouldn't be a world map in nohr"

I'm all for the whole limited opportunities thing I just hope that the DLC is accessible no matter which route you choose like if they released scramble packs or bonus maps like Apotheosis would be nice to play on the Nohr side too. I could see them maybe not having things like ExP growth or Golden Gaffe on the Nohr path though. The only thing that would be kinda annoying would be unlocking supports for various characters and if you are limited to only linear "classic FE style" chapters you would have to start over everytime to constantly to unlock them all (not including S support marriage).

Throughout the series there has been.

Seize

Rout

Defeat Boss

Escape

Defence

And various variations and more. I hope we get everything back and more. I got super sick of Rout.

yes, thank you awakening's weakest point was that there was only route and defeat boss chapters... Which honestly are the two easiest win conditions...

Not really a part of missions, but a side objectives like how when you recruit Owain you can get bonus items by saving the villagers; similarly in RD when you have the choice of, A) Kill the senators. B) Loot from the senators(If you have a thief that wont die instantly) or C) Let them all live because you lack the requirements for B, but still want the bexp.

Similarly, more difficult to recruit people would be cool too(Looking at you Katarina). I don't think Rout missions are that bad, I just think they need some extra depth to them, which adding better side objectives can do(To an extent, obviously I don't want full Rout missions).

Some Escape missions would be really cool as well, but I'm not craving them or anything.

You can't even call the Tiki mission a defend mission its as close as FE 13 came to a defend mission however the enemies were too simplistic in approach simply be fliers that swarmed you. the enemies on a defend chapter are usually far more numerous and powerful than a rote chapter in order to force you to rely on terrain usually there is a turn limit as well so you can't kill all the enemies for excessive experience as well... Awakening didn't have a true defend map...

That seems really interesting :o The dragon vein ability your avatar has could maybe be a part of that objective where you can maybe block off enemy units by removing platforms or maybe form platforms to run away. We don't know the limitations or extent of the dragon vein ability yet, so I'm just assuming at this point, but that would be pretty cool!

In Fire Emblem Awakening, there was an extra condition you had to clear to recruit a character named Donnel, where you had to level him up at least once in addition to routing all the enemies. So I was wondering if there might be more conditions like those in the new game, which were character specific?

Also, a fun objective I was thinking of was maybe "Open all the chests/pilfer all the items", where you have a map full of treasure chests and thieves and you have to somehow manage to protect the chests from enemy thieves, open them before they do, or attack and prevent them from running away with the items if they do open the chests before you do. I don't know how they could implement this objective into the story or if this objective might seem too impractical or silly, but it might be really fun since you would really have to micro manage your units well to clear the objective XD. In past games, I always had a hard time dealing with enemies on top of getting to chests before their thieves did and sometimes I would lose those chest items because I let the thieves run away and off the map lol.

hmm the chest idea is pretty interesting one way to do it would be you are looting a very special armory where the games holy weapons needed to harm the main antagonist are hidden. the enemy can't destroy them so they fortified an armory to contain them and your are busting them out. probably add a turn limit too...

Wasn't there a thread like this in this section already?

Anyway my wish list:

• defeat boss
  • rout enemies
  • seize
  • arrive
  • escape
  • defend / survive
  • destroy things in a turn count (like 3-3 in FE10)
  • stealth mission
  • two mission types in one (defeat boss + escape)

All these mission types could / should be combined with a turn limit:

(example: defeat boss in 10 turns)

A large variety of mission objectives is a very important criterion for a good FE game.

Since FE11 I miss this...

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

I'm all for the whole limited opportunities thing I just hope that the DLC is accessible no matter which route you choose like if they released scramble packs or bonus maps like Apotheosis would be nice to play on the Nohr side too. I could see them maybe not having things like ExP growth or Golden Gaffe on the Nohr path though. The only thing that would be kinda annoying would be unlocking supports for various characters and if you are limited to only linear "classic FE style" chapters you would have to start over everytime to constantly to unlock them all (not including S support marriage).

Imo the easiest solution to this would be to just prevent the player from accessing DLC during the main campaign on the Nohr route, but open up the world map and DLC access on that file only once the final chapter is cleared. It would be pretty dumb if IS released all these DLC chapters with shiny rewards and whatnot but prevented an entire half of the player base from ever being able to do anything with them.

Not exactly a mission objective, but I thought it was interesting how in Cynthia's paralogue in Awakening the enemy boss would recruit NPC units if you took too long getting to him. If these units had stats so insanely high that any one of your own units coming into contact with them would surely be killed, it could act as a pseudo-turn limit where you would be pressured to complete the chapter objective before they can reach you. Similar to that PoR chapter where the BK would randomly pop out of a house and annihilate any poor unit who happened to be standing close by T_T

Since Awakening was first fire emblem game, I noticed the lack of objectives in the chapters compare to the others games. Maybe for the hoshido side, we could have a mission when we need to destroy certains objectives ( the return of ballistas?) and for Nohr side , maybe a hostage mission? A mission when you need to destroy an escort of a unit and capture him and not kill him (of course XD).

Edited by Nym