Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

ragefest knockoff

children, please

I'm not gonna say much because I have little that's actually valuable/worth saying, but the thing that I always thought was appropriate about Ragefest is that if you download a rom hack and jump into it without reading any forum posts or anything, you can reasonably assume that it will be crazy difficult (or at least more difficult than the vanilla game) because devoted fans/experts are the only ones who actually go to the trouble of making a rom hack. Just look at Kaizou Mario or Rockman no Constancy Difficult, which are the most popular Mario and Mega Man mods that I can think of (Rockman 4MI has likely eclipsed RnC, actually, but I digress). In this way, Ragefest kind of takes the medium of rom modding to its logical extreme (the difficulty) while being extremely tongue-in-cheek about it (the humor).

That being said, RF has always been more about pandering to Marc and making him rage than making something that is creatively difficult, which is a shame because the more puzzle-y RF entries are my favorites (example: EnderSlicer's Escape is all about dicking around with an idiosyncrasy of the game (the torch glitch), and is entertaining for it imo). I have no clue if MAFC will be better (the first entry played panders to Ghast and me pretty openly), but I guess time will tell.

Edited by Lusqina

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AI2 0x00 will not move the enemy if all player/NPC units are standing on inaccessible terrain or if the enemy is isolated from player/NPC units by terrain such as walls. The AI is searching for any valid path that will allow them to move ONTO player/NPC tiles. Dragons can't move onto peaks, so the AI thinks it is impossible to reach Marc even though moving forward would eventually put him in Flametongue range.

Enemies with AI2 0x1C will move as close as possible when there is no "valid" path. If the dragons had this AI, they would have continued to chase Marc when he was sitting on a peak.

Oh yeah.

That AI quirk I found by accident. I originally intended to have just dragons, and make it a matter of flying around and luring them without getting cornered. When I found they didn't move when Farina was on a mountain, I decided it'd be too easy to trivialise the chapter unless I put some flying enemies in to fuck up your day.

It's cool to have a technical explanation of why the AI acts like it does.

Also, I would like to mention that AI2 0x1C isn't always better.

CR6rvsd.png

If AI2 = 0x00
The mercenary moves towards the units in the southwest. The pegasus knight isn't considered a valid target to move towards.

If AI2 = 0x1C
The mercenary moves towards the peaks since the pegasus knight is the closest unit. The pegasus knight can use the mercenary as javelin target practice.

Edit:
w9GFd1P.png

Here's an example where the pegasus knight isn't completely protected by peaks. If AI2 = 0x00, the mercenary still moves towards the southwest units despite the pegasus knight being much closer. Mercenaries can't move onto peaks so the pegasus knight is considered off-limits despite the plains tile below.

Edited by Gryz

Alright everyone. I'm saving F*EXE and Angel Of Darkness for last, which leaves us only two other choices.

You decide which one should be next since I'm lazy!

I don't know when I'll be able to get to the last remaining submissions because work is being a huge bitch right now. To give you an idea, I worked seven days in a row and two of them were 12-hour shifts. I don't have a lot of reason to think things will get better either... I have one day off tomorrow.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Recorded another Ragefest submission. The author wanted to jump in and uh... yeah, this was a pretty uninteresting submission, honestly.

I don't know how I'll edit all the footage, but there's going to be tons of cutting.

Oh my god, RIGHT? That chapter is absurdly hard compared to the previous ones!

I already finished recording the whole submission. It's... really really easy to break.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Oh shoot 17 is next for me, I hear 19 and 20 are progressively worse but uhhhhh I mean yay even if it's not a great submission I'm looking forward to it. I've seen some of Bladehero's earlier works so it'll be interesting to see what's stylistically different or not.

we have the new fire emblem to tide us over, you can definitely take your time.

also fuck chapter 17 in conquest. that chapter can eat a dick

Thanks Kotaro, for giving me FE6 Sacae HM flashbacks. Holy fuck, this chapter and Conquest endgame can go to hell. 21 is hard, but breakable, and the rest are difficult but fair.

Edited by MCProductions

Hummm... Excuse-me? Could you please refrain from talking about Ftaes here, would like to to remain as unspoiled as possible, thank you.

Eh, no story spoilers or anything. All we know is that Conquest is very hard, especially at the end, though that's a given, since Conquest is supposed to be the harder one.

we have the new fire emblem to tide us over, you can definitely take your time.

also fuck chapter 17 in conquest. that chapter can eat a dick

What was the problem

Xander paired with Charlotte can solo almost the entire map

What was the problem

Xander paired with Charlotte can solo almost the entire map

on chapter 17

for starters I don't use charlotte, no room for her.

2, I can't be having xander who is already promoted take all the exp. plus I tried that in my first failed file and he died at the fucking boss. I have to restart the entire game because of his loss and my unwillingness to restart.

3, nearly all my units I want to promote are lv19. this is the perfect time to get them all to lv20 and promote for my super team for 18 and on. which I hear are nasty. I need them prepared dammit!

this is all on hard/classic btw

also looking forward to the video

Edited by MrNight48

tfw you're so early that it's still 360p.

In terms of the actual hack, it felt kind of rushed, and definitely could've used more testing, as evidenced by what happened. Ultimately, the hack was fine, but didn't really have much going for it.

Just my two cents.

Edited by RandomSwordmaster