Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If we can about older submissions more, maybe that will lessen the recency bias

Trapped in Painful Places is still the number one pick for me. It does everything right; the dialogue is hilarious and really on-point, the gameplay is challenging and sadistic without being unfair, the map designs is concise, but still chaotic and nonlinear.

Two of those I was thinking of mentioning specifically in my retrospective after the contest: Tale of Purt was probably my favorite, and Emblem Warriors was definitely the funnest-looking. But this one is looking like, I think, "the best" in general.

Personally I'm favouring Tales of Purt in gameplay (its higher creativity puts it a bit over Revengeance's higher refinement, though it might still turn out to beat the former), custom art (it tops Sir Axis' only because art includes the intro melody), and consistent comedy (the characters' names are as a whole my second favourite joke in RF:IV, just behind "do you have a green marker?").

It clearly doesn't win at "Stability/Q&A" though.

As of right now, I'm voting Emblem Warriors for the Ragefest award. I was curious how he got the idea to work so I downloaded the hack and disassembled the events. I was... blown away by the amount of work, time, and knowledge Ephraim225 put into Emblem Warriors. Not only that, but Marc got genuinely frustrated by the submission's fair difficulty.

i think at the end of this there should be a little highlight video that lists the best and funniest moments from each submission. or a retrospective on all the submissions that was played and marcs opinion on all of them in one video. i think this way can make voting on what submission people liked easier. but thats just my idea.

I am somewhat against the idea. While I want to say my opinions of each submission, I want to wait until after people vote since I want people to think for themselves on the matter.

Or at least that was my initial approach. I think people will just go off of my reactions in the videos... So I might as well speak them anyway.

For what it's worth, I don't like that my opinion has so much influence on how a submission performs. I want people to come to their own conclusions.

Hm... Maybe next contest, I should make a rule that all submissions will be publically released on my website so people can play them. That would ensure they get to form their own opinion without being influenced.

... But then some people don't know what the hell they want and might like submissions that are bad and stupid.

This is kinda tough, isn't it?

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

very tough indeed, then perhaps highlights from the submissions you did, where it was funny, a tough/tense moment, or something that genuinely made you rage, and from those highlights people can see which submissions has something in it to them that they like, and make it a tad easier to vote on what they personally think fits well.

tho all im doing is just giving suggestions for something that may or may not work. but i do at least think it would help people remember what the other commissions are incase they forgot from the months between some submissions.

I'm just throwing my metaphorical hat onto the ring here, but maybe it would be better to wait a week or so after the last submission is completed before voting rather than making a reel of all the submissions. If you're worried about recency bias being that much of an issue, perhaps letting the last submission's hype settle a little (hence my suggestion of a week's wait) would help with that.

Basically don't make any of them "recent", as opposed to trying to refresh them all with a highlight reel (which has it's own heap of issues).

Though this point of view doesn't really help my own submission out too greatly, I think recency bias is a bit par for the course given the style of RF4, and a fair aspect of it.

The order in which you played the submissions wasn't totally biased in favor of later submissions, after all. Early submissions had the advantages of having a greater impact during the course of RF4 as well as avoiding the scrutiny of people who saw "previous" submissions.

For example, Emblem Warriors made a big impact - at least for me. The fact that it went on early means it likely set a standard, a factor which ought to be pretty beneficial for it in the long run. Having set the standard, it likely isn't coming under very much fire regarding the gameplay (which seems to be very good, nonetheless).

Recency bias might be a factor in the final decision, but I think it's really only a valid concern if the final decision is between a very recent submission and a very early one. A "winning" submission wouldn't be one that can't stand a little test of time, in my opinion.

Yeah what I see here and what I really dislike is the "last submission" thing.

I mean it's pretty much like this:

1st submission:

Amazing I'll vote for this one.

2nd submission:

Whoa!!!! LOVELY!!! what? for first one? I'll veto for that and vote for this one.

and so on....

So yea here's a big problem we have to face.

Honestly, I'm not too worried about the voting process, does it need to change? somewhat but for the most part when it comes to voting, I think people vote for what they do like in the end. Considering some people don't vote or some only saw a few submissions cause I am sure some viewers are just random viewers, trying to make this super fair could be far more trouble than it's worth.

MAFC voting process is a good example of what I am getting at, ghast is in the thousands of viewers for each submission but if you look at the go vote video and the number votes that is around 40 ish, one can conclude that the opinions of the fans cannot be correctly measured. (unless we start attaching strawpoll links under videos but even then) All this means is it's up to the creators to make it good enough to get people to care enough to vote for it.

That being said, I am starting to wonder if the reason matthew's nightmare is still many of the fans of ragefest favorite because it catered more to the viewer than it did to marc. Sure there were some marc references but there were far more references the average viewer could get and relate to.

In anycase, I'm getting started on ragefest V/MAFC 2 because it is clear I lost in all categories a long time ago lol.

Edited by MrNight48

Well aside from the fact that the entry period for this contest has been over for almost a year now, the main gist of how to make a romhack is as follows:

You'll need a few tools for the most barebones of hacking, reskins.

For that, all you need is a tool called Nightmare, alongside its modules for the respective game. This will let you edit a game's weapon stats, etc. etc. etc.

If you want to edit portraits and text, as well as animations, you'll want a tool called FEditor Adv.

There's several tools for making maps, though the most common are Mappy and Tiled.

Lastly, if you want to make a fully custom hack, with custom chapters, you'll want the Event Assembler, which is basically "code your own chapter" in a sense.

All of these tools are available on SF, and other sites such as FEUniverse.

If you want more info, try checking out Blazer's Ultimate Tutorial.

It's not going to help this time, but for the next Ragefest, why not run an individual poll for each entry immediately after the entry is played?

FE Ragefesty Thingy

Graphical Appeal / 5 (Lower score here, because I don't believe a Ragefest hack should do exceptionally better just because it looks pretty. That's not the point of Ragefest!)

"Trickiness" / 10

Fairness / 10

Humour / 10

Story / 10

etc. / 10

Then after, say, three days, simply tally up the total score and record it, remove the poll and move on to the next submission. That would get rid of the "recent bias".

It's not going to help this time, but for the next Ragefest, why not run an individual poll for each entry immediately after the entry is played?

FE Ragefesty Thingy

Graphical Appeal / 5 (Lower score here, because I don't believe a Ragefest hack should do exceptionally better just because it looks pretty. That's not the point of Ragefest!)

"Trickiness" / 10

Fairness / 10

Humour / 10

Story / 10

etc. / 10

Then after, say, three days, simply tally up the total score and record it, remove the poll and move on to the next submission. That would get rid of the "recent bias".

I actually like this, but there's one thing. The final score that each submission got should not be visible until the end of the contest. Only Marc, or a third party should be able to see submission scores. Edited by Pwntagonist

If I get 45 submissions then I quit forever.

That's a lazy solution, Mark! With enough coffee, you could totally do 45 submissions!

Phew, I've been gone for a while, haven't I? Anyways, I agree that recency bias is a problem we'll need to do this. Personally, Emblem Warriors and Tale of Purt have been the ones that entertained me the most.

As for Ragefest Revengeance, I think the concept of masquerading as something terrible/mediocre only to suddenly kick into COOL MODE is cool! And this hack did it really well, too! I wonder if future Ragefest entries will use the concept?

So uh...

I made a thing that people who are making things for the next contest can use...

Its a portrait splice of Marc for people to use (It's based off the one Marc portrait that I believe FElover made that Marc made)

So Here you go:

JkvImd6.png

Feel free to use it, I'd love to see it in use sometime next Ragefest.

Good Luck.

Edited by supersid333

The one FELover made...?

Um... I made that one. DX

As much of an improvement as that is over the original Markyjoe portrait (And it definitely is), the original is just too much of a staple at this point. I don't think people will accept anything else unless they do what F.EXE did and give me a second form or something.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

The one FELover made...?

Um... I made that one. DX

As much of an improvement as that is over the original Markyjoe portrait (And it definitely is), the original is just too much of a staple at this point. I don't think people will accept anything else unless they do what F.EXE did and give me a second form or something.

My bad, I honestly had no idea where it came from. :sweatdrop:

I just did it to practice making portrait splices since it's been a long time since the last time I did anything with Fire Emblem sprites.

I was watching a couple of your videos and I decided I'd practice by making your portrait.

I also fixed my last post.

Edited by supersid333