Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

Not sure if I count but you may go ahead with mine.

I guess I could change it up a bit though, buffing the player characters may go a long way into lowering the RNG dependance...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO, people say skill and luck aren't good stats, and it's mostly true if you assume we aren't doing an Iron Man run of the games. I suspect that was how the series was originally meant to be played. Cause then units like Sirius become more balanced in that they become heavily reliant on crit-guards to avoid getting their shit wrecked.

... Yeah, during one of my FE3 runs, Sirius died to a god damn soldier because crits. That guy and his ass luck is literally a walking time bomb.

Not that said, while skill and luck aren't important to the player, they have a HUGE impact on the enemy due to the nature of GBA FE, the enemy:ally unit ratio, and how true hit works.

Skill and luck are generally considered pretty useless to just get one point in, but having more of those stats can go a long way towards helping reliability of the enemy, too*.

If enemies all have about 50% hit rates, you can't tell if the designer meant for you to get hit by most of them or try to dodge them, which can be bad, too.

eh, there is a reason why most enemies in GBA FE have 0 luck, it impacts their hit rates/evasion/crits in a huge way. During my experiments, giving crap bandits 5 luck turned a boring easy chapter into a bullshit fuck you chapter. Not sure how this luck is a bad stat meme started.

In fact, in moneyfest part 3, I had to nerf their luck from 5 to like 3 I think because it was absolutely brutal. No matter how hard I tried to cheese it someone would die to a crit or stray hit.

Edited by MrNight48

eh, there is a reason why most enemies in GBA FE have 0 luck, it impacts their hit rates/evasion/crits in a huge way. During my experiments, giving crap bandits 5 luck turned a boring easy chapter into a bullshit fuck you chapter. Not sure how this luck is a bad stat meme started.

In fact, in moneyfest part 3, I had to nerf their luck from 5 to like 3 I think because it was absolutely brutal. No matter how hard I tried to cheese it someone would die to a crit or stray hit.

Wait.

Skill's the thing that effects the enemy's crit on you. D:

Wait.

Skill's the thing that effects the enemy's crit on you. D:

you're right but luck lowers your enemy's crit chance. Shown here in these pics

VIWinFF.pngdzY1ehs.pngt9PnI79.png
As far as luck increasing crit, I got it mixed up when the unit has negative luck. Shown here with Wallace at -10 luck.
YccxOHN.pngaPdHr46.png02b2ARs.png
My luck based weapons 2.0 are going to be based on this trick. More power and skill in exchange for enemies being able to crit you.
Edited by MrNight48

(huh, interesting...
a very minor note but I'm going through my gyazo history and it seems at some point I started off unable to use my silver bow--I had to get weapon experience with the iron bow, meaning I couldn't have initially been used to fight the spear enemies since I'd probably die before getting to where I could kill them

*shrug* as it stands, Marc ended up having fun wrecking stuff, so I guess it worked out)

• 2 weeks later...

Methinks like every other teenager/college student in the US (including me)....studying for finals.

Actually, I got roped into a training regiment so I have been pretty much doing nothing but working, getting off of work, and then training for about 2-3 hours 5 days a week. And the training seems to target movements that I'm bad with, so I actually have to take it pretty seriously. I usually don't have much time to talk except weekends, but everyone near me was having events, so I kept going to them.

Did you get to do a training montage?

No. But it is the reason I haven't really been able to communicate with Marc too well. Our schedules do not mesh at all it seems. He's off when I work generally, and I get done with the day when he's going to bed. Makes me sad to see "STREAMING" only to be unable to participate most of the time.

Y'know, I recently decided to replay Matthew's Nightmare and uh... I don't think it's aged very well.

What made you think it hasn't aged well? The random maps over the course of the hack?

No. But it is the reason I haven't really been able to communicate with Marc too well. Our schedules do not mesh at all it seems. He's off when I work generally, and I get done with the day when he's going to bed. Makes me sad to see "STREAMING" only to be unable to participate most of the time.

What made you think it hasn't aged well? The random maps over the course of the hack?

I can't speak for the humor since I skipped the cutscenes in my recent playthrough, but...

Putting the submission against my standards today, the main thing I see is that the difficulty almost completely hinges on you going into it blind and not knowing anything. If you know - for example - the death maze in part 1, you'll pretty much never mess it up again (except when you zone out). It doesn't have any strategy to it whatsoever.

Then you get to part 2 and things get a little more interesting. You have to keep the old man alive and prevent enemies from using ballista and long range tomes. The thing is though, your units are very disposable, and you can easily just rush upwards without much thought and still win. Obviously, you'll need to accommodate the trees. I remember thinking this was a really cool gimmick for gameplay, but now that I think about it, it's basically just "don't step here".

Well okay, part 2 is a bit more complex than a rush upwards. You need to lure Mustache man... uh... Moulder, and getting the old man out of your rescue slot is tricky since you never know when you missed a dude who can shank him. It's probably the most interesting of the three parts, honestly, since it's the most gameplay driven, and relies the least on cheap deaths, and the one cheap death it does is something you can apply universally across the map design.

Then part 3 comes up after the painfully dull part 1, and the somewhat interesting part 2, and things basically turn into a complete trial and error RNG fest. Once you talk to a unit, it triggers an endless stream of reinforcements, the type of reinforcements are determined by the last person you spoke to. Ideally, you want to kill off as many enemies as possible before you start chattin' it up with your old pals, but even when you've done that much, it's not enough. You have to memorize certain key spawn points to block them and even then, you will always have something on your butt. There's barely any safe way to approach Sain, whom you need to kill Serra if you don't get the legendary weapons from the bottom right house. I've never gotten those things and faced Serra, mind you, so I don't even know if it's worth it.

And then the big, BIG problem kicks in. You have to restart everything if you lose in part 3, and that's what eventually wore me down and made me quit trying a savestateless run of the submission. Redoing part 1 was a chore to begin with, but part 2 becomes a chore, and eventually you get exhausted and start making obvious mistakes, leading to even more time wasted, all for one extra go at part 3... and even then, I don't think there's a really good, reliable strategy for it. Hell, Serra's tome has a nosferatu effect and you have no way to safely attack her. You have to pray for misses and stuff.

I think if the submission was released as is today, it wouldn't have made such a buzz in the community (I say as is because obviously it would probably be more polished and better designed if made today), but back then, there was nothing else that could compare to it. The closest thing was Maze Of The Troll King, and we no longer even have a fully beatable version of that anymore.

... But I wanna be clear here.

The submission has rightfully earned it's place in the history of Ragefest, and I feel I owe a huge debt to CedarNyx for making it. I think if it didn't exist, people would not have been so into Ragefest, or even interested at all. We prolly wouldn't have had sequels, and I think the submission did a great job setting the standard for what a Ragefest could be.

But the nostalgia goggles finally came off for me and... I think for its time, it was fantasic. Now? I think I can name at least four submissions that have surpassed it. I think most would agree that Marc's Special Day is the funniest submission, and quite a few have better gameplay. The main reason why I'm even mentioning all this is because people keep telling me nothing will ever surpass Matthew's Nightmare, like it's some untouchable paragon of Ragefest. It makes me feel kinda down because sometimes it comes off like people don't appreciate anything new in the contest because they're too busy comparing it to a submission that by today's standards would have probably been banned.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Nothing can save you from our judgement!VALFLAME! Personally, I think Ragefest IV is where it's at, because I have been here for it since the beginning, unlike II and III. Submission 13(I forgot what it's called, I think Ragefest Revengeance) was pretty entertaining, but I would like to see Ephraim225 expand upon Emblem Warriors as a premise.

Well said. I couldn't agree more. Each Ragefest brings more interesting things to the table, and Matthew's Nightmare paved the way for such things. Also, there needs to be RFV because I want someone to make a Fire Emblem Fates parody of Ghast's make a fun chapter versus Ragefest.