Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

oh sweet, you watch extra credits too! I got a lot of good ideas from them.

edit: oh yeeaa now I remember where I got the idea to make my submission short, I was basically following this videos advice because i remembered a game I played about hardcore block puzzle action called cathrine. It let you get back to the challenge as quick as possible but when you ran out of lives, it punishes you in a way that was fair by making you watch a cutscene reminding you how much you suck. They also had a fantastic point about FE and why lunatic mode is usually bullshit.

Edited by MrNight48

Alright, so I'm working on the Ragefest V ruleset. Here's the major changes I have so far.

- When you submit, you agree to have it hosted on my website. All submissions will be hosted by the deadline.
Reason: This is so everyone can play the submission themselves and more accurately judge them based on their gameplay instead of relying solely on my videos to make a judgement.

- No more bullshit. If you deliberately design your submission with punishing designs such as...

• Heavy emphasis on luck
  • Choices that I can't make informed decisions on
  • Disabling convenient features
  • Long iteration times
  • Situations the player lacks the tools to deal with

... Then it will count against you.
Reason: With VERY few exceptions, all of these methods have been proven ineffective at getting me to rage. The result tends to be resignation and silence. Submissions like this also rarely sit well with the audience.

- You are now allowed to make multi-chapter hacks.
Reason: Since people just work around the one-chapter rule, and I'm against banning multiple gameplay maps because it's now a contest staple, we might as well make it convenient and less glitchy for the creators.

I assume that you're seeking the total play time of the submission to still be pretty short, despite enabling usage of the chapter break?

(because one primary usage for the chapter break is to reduce iteration times)

Ideally, yes, I want play time to be shortened. Mind you, that doesn't mean I want shorter submissions. I just want more of that time to be spent making progress or facing interesting challenges rather than back tracking or redoing segments to get required item X or character Y.

I'm also removing the three save state rule, since people have RAM saves to work with now, and thus should be able to beat their submissions entirely savestateless. Part of the challenge of making a good submission will be giving the player sufficient amounts of RAM saves so that it's not frustrating, but still makes the player want to avoid restarts and brute forcing the submission.

I'm also thinking of implementing a rule stating that if you have growth rates, they need to either be perfectly reliable (either by using the fixed growths patch, or by making all growths 0%, 100%, or 200%), OR the submission has to be beatable with 0% growths, making growth rates something that can soften difficulty.

Ohhh right okay I see. Yeah that's probably a good metric to use anyway, discourage people from making one large map and instead breaking that into several smaller maps--it helps the creators with difficulty too because it means if something is discovered in the beginning of a map that allows the rest of it to be trivialized, it won't last long before the challenge can return.

Ohhh right okay I see. Yeah that's probably a good metric to use anyway, discourage people from making one large map and instead breaking that into several smaller maps--it helps the creators with difficulty too because it means if something is discovered in the beginning of a map that allows the rest of it to be trivialized, it won't last long before the challenge can return.

There's also the fact that you can now have characters that are not as useful on certain maps but good on others with a deployment screen. Just the fact that you can have a deployment screen multiple times means things like Squawl's entry can't happen again when doing a secondary map.

What's the limit though? I don't think it's allowed to make 20 chapters long hacks, for example.

Edited by Sacodepatatas

What's the limit though? I don't think it's allowed to make 20 chapters long hacks, for example.

I'd assume 3-4, as ram saves are replacing save states, so 3 saves would be the logical maximum.

Honestly, I don't care how many chapters you make. If you love Ragefest enough that you wanna make 20 full chapters, and you can somehow fit all of that into the 3 months deadline, more power to you.

I don't expect that to happen though.

Perhaps I should get around to making that Dank Meme Hell an actual thing.....

I'm low on dank memes however.

Probably will stick with my current idea.

(perhaps I should submit a beta to MAFC2?)

Edited by RandomSwordmaster

This... is excruciatingly painful to watch. Quality level design, ladies and gentlemen. It's interesting to see DS animations, but to purposefully remove options that have been around since at least Binding Blade if not before? I don't think I could touch, much less enjoy tedium of this magnitude.

It gets worse. Setting movement speed to fast makes units move slower on the map, enemy units are blue just like you so it's harder to distinguish, your own units don't turn grey when they are finished moving, your turn doesn't auto end, among several other things.

I noticed. The thing is, unlike someone who poorly put together something shitty, she went out of her way to make a poorly designed hack just for the sake of bullshit value, which until recently was probably what people were going for.

Edit: Accommodated gender. Also, quality post, Mark.

Edited by Hylian Air Force