Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

That's good to have the full list, I do honestly think that you shouldn't have opinions in there though or how people received it as that could moderately influence things. For instance, I thought Arrow in the Wind was pretty funny even if other people didn't.

Also, anti awards are a terrible idea IMO. People might actually aim for it. Example, at my old job, there was a contest to get coworkers to talk more often. There was a 1-3 and last place prize. Everyone aimed for the 1-3, I took a gamble and aimed for the lower price. The last place prize was better than 2 and 3, and debatable if it was better than the 1st. Let's think about this, would you really want people to aim for anti-Jester awards AND anti-Artists awards? On their own? Maybe it wouldn't be so bad, but a combination of those could be pretty deadly to the palatable nature of a winning ragefest submission-- or even an average one. Or even one that you'd want to play through.

Edited by Augestein

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadist Award - F*EXE. You know there is no contest here, but if you must know, this is for the submission that is the most insufferable and rage inducing to play.

Isn't ℱ⋆ℰℵℰ disqualified though? A disqualified submission should not be able to win awards.

I mean it's true that a lot of awards would be biased by nature but considering all the things that came from this I feel like there should be recognition to the other sorts of effort made (and effort not made but ensuing...memes...etc)

@Hunter Nightblood: Disqualified submissions aren't allowed to win Strategist and Ragefest (overall) award, but they can win the others.

@Augestein: I'm not actually going to give OUT anti awards. I was just suggestion people discuss what submissions were the worst in each award department.

@47948201: I'm considering an Inventor Award and a Memes award (for the submission to most frequently generate its own memes)

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Hm... I should consider making art for each of the awards.

I wonder if the admins of serenes would be willing to have, like, an award icon next to the person's name or something if they win a contest award?

That depends on if RF Is actually acknowledged as an official SF contest, which I get the impression it isn't.

But you can at least give it to people on your forums, if nothing else!

Inventor Award

Memes Award

Strategist Award

Artist Award

Jester Award

Sadist Award

Popular Pick Award

MarkyJoe Award

That's all I've got at the moment. Could anyone link to Klok's suggestions from way back? Or like, any suggestions?

Right, this makes the most sense to me. If you break a rule and that rule directly correlates to a specific award, that award alone is what you should be disqualified for. In the case of this submission, the listed awards he would be excluded from are fine.

I feel like with all the submissions this contest and all the work that people are putting in, it's not fair to give all or even more than one award to any single submission, and maybe we could use a couple new ones. I'm not a fan of the "EVERYBODY IS A WINNER! PARTICIPATION AWARDS FOR EVERYONE!" mentality, but here there has clearly been a lot of work put into just the first two seen submissions, and hell even the other three that I've seen plenty of as well.

So, what are we looking at here?

-Ragefest award: Official winner of the contest. Combination of people's choice and judges choice. If those are in contention but a submission has received multiple awards and is viewer/judge choice, that one might be the winner. If neither applies, Marc chooses.

-Runner-up: Second place award. Similar criteria to above.

-Viewers choice: The one that the audience loved watching most. Maybe it was hilarious all the way through and thoroughly entertaining. Maybe marc's rage tickled our funny bone harder in a specific one. Either way, the people decide!

-Judge's choice, same as above, but determined by an odd-numbered set of judges, counting Marc.

-Character award: Best characters, most interesting characters, whatever. Firmly designed and interesting personalities to watch converse matter most here. Example - Matthew's Nightmare with all the cute, interesting characters.

-Jester award: The absolute funniest submission of them all. Whichever one has the viewers and/or Marc doubling over in laughter. Example: Marc's Special Day, tons of hilarious moments.

-Innovation award: Some people come up with amazingly creative entries, whether having seriously cool new mechanics, or whole new ways of playing the game. Let the viewers decide this one. Example, Emblem Warriors has a really innovative new system for capturing points.

-Sadist award: The submission that makes Marc cry/tear out his hair the most. Example: Ephraim's RF2 submission.

-Story award: If applicable, any entry with a well thought-out story is eligible here. This is a combination of points, where Marc and the viewers cast votes, and Marc's vote holds 30% weight here to the viewer's 70%. Example: Matthew's Nightmare.

-Strategist award: Whichever submission(s) had the best gameplay with the most careful, non-luck-based strategy, they are all eligible for this award. Marc and the Judges determine the winner here. Example - F.EXE's early and end points, though not so much the middle.

-Mapping award: Best map used in the contest, even if the gameplay was substandard. If the submission overall sucked, ineligible for this award. Example - Generic War (I'd pick someone else's but aside from Ash and Ciraxis's submission which people haven't seen yet, nothing leaps to mind)

-Animation/artwork award: If any badass new animations are included, Marc and the viewers/judges can vote to determine which hack wins this one. Some people clearly put a LOT of work into animations, so let's give them some serious credit here. Each animation is picked on a singular basis, but if multiple animations are included in a poll and are present in a single entry, their votes combine when voting is finished. Marc has the same voting weight here as the audience. Example: The Eliwood animation in Sqawl's entry, or the Marc animation from F.EXE.

-SHOCK award: Goes to entry that has the grotesque/hilarious visuals? Example - KAWAIIDESU from F.EXE/Generic War, Manphia, or the killer clown from Corruption of Roy.

-Sound design award: Some people put tons of work into their sound design. Let's give the best ones an award as well. Example: F.EXE's custom touhou music or something, idk music's not prevelant yet but it could be once FEXNA is released.

Total awards: 14

Any other suggestions?

On one hand, I don't think sub categories are a bad thing. It takes very different skillsets and has very different results to make a nice-looking map, a nice-looking portrait, and a nice-looking battle sprite.

Sound, on the other hand... There are kinda only two contenders and they're so different in what they did that it might not be quite fair.

Also I don't think it would be a bad idea to have more types of writing-sort-of-awards since you want to encourage people to not just make good chapters in the future but also that people will be able to enter if they have writing focus?

I dunno how much I can say about that, being such a non-writer.

EDIT: also what's inventor award if that's the same as innovator then imo the latter is more intuitive

EDIT2: alsoalso shock might want to go to anything with shock value, such as Revengeance's 180, not just grotesque things

Edited by 47948201

In other news, I got as many permissions as I could to host the submissions of Ragefest IV. You can download them all here.

Arrow In The Wind, Angel Of Darkness, and ℱ⋆ℰℵℰ are not downloadable. Wolfram and Baldrick said they didn't want their submissions hosted, and I'm not allowed to host ℱ⋆ℰℵℰ cause it's made in FEXNA, which isn't released yet. I figure you all deserve an explanation, but do not give any of them a hard time over this. I respect their wishes, and so should you.

... So... Voting's coming up soon. No one mentioned what their picks would be. This makes me super sad! I was looking forward to this part!

Remember that your opinion might be enough to shift mine and other peoples' votes!

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

fine fine

here's my preliminary stuff:

Inventor Award - Emblem Warriors (that capture mechanic was next level)

Memes Award - Angel of Darkness (HALBERDIERS!)

Strategist Award - mine, cuz you literally cannot lose if you do everything right

Artist Award - k i can't decide on this one

Jester Award - Tale of Purt (because bread, and this: "THIS IS A MESSAGE FROM LORD PURT, I AWAIT YOU ON BREAD ISLE")

Sadist Award - F*EXE (obvious reasons)

Popular Pick Award - Ragefest Revengeance (hack was top notch)

MarkyJoe Award - up to marky obviously

Kogasa Award - Ragefest Revengeance (that 180 in quality surprised me lol)

EDIT: edited

EDIT2: edited in reasons

Edited by RandomSwordmaster

my pick: awakening

just heard the mark theory on ghast's channel, I am too fucked up to vote right now.

like, what is even the point of hacking, what is the point of game design? I can't tell a story that awesome. duuude I...

now I'm sitting here like, "who is briamimond really?", "do they have a major reveal for him too?", so many questions.

I got no vote right now, I need some time to process this.

I went and did descriptions, links, and whatnot for Ragefest III.

http://markyjoe.com/?page=ragefest

I'm almost done with the work week, and tomorrow's voting day. Let's finally close this contest. FINALLY.

IT'S OVER. IT'S FINALLY OVER. ;-;

FE3 MY LOVE. I WILL SEE YOU SOOOOOOON~

EDIT: Also I'm trying to think of a good title for Ragefest V... Any suggestions?

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

My picks:

All categories: my submission

...just kidding

Ragefest Award - Emblem Warriors

Inventor Award - Emblem Warriors

Memes Award - Ragefest Revengeance

Strategist Award - Money Man's Last Stand

Artist Award - Tale of Purt

Jester Award - Trapped in Painful Places

Sadist Award - F*EXE

Popular Pick Award - Most popular submission is definitely Ragefest Revengeance but if you just want me to put my favorite then I have to put my own lol

Kogasa Award - Uh idk

@Title
Ragefest V: Viros Umbra Experientia

Viros Umbra stands for "Shadow of a man" in Latin. experientia is Trial or Experience.

Why not use something that would make us feel the atmosphere of something great and amazing instead of silly or dumb?