Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rage Fest V : Marc of the Beasts . You know, Marc... In a sea of beasts that he must overcome? No... Well that's all I have for now.

For me:

Ragefest Award - Emblem Warriors - Clear cut objective placed out at the beginning of the map, and the rules were laid out. The quirky mechanics caused you to have to play in a style that was different to typical Fire Emblem-- ie, using 1 strong unit isn't just enough, because people have to be able to capture the maps and maintain them until the next set of doors were open. Even in the original version where Marcus was too strong (I can reveal this now, Ephraim added that Marcus thing with the base stats in the version that you played Marc, the version I play tested this was not there).

Inventor Award - Emblem Warriors - Seriously, you could make an entire game off of this. It's literally a combination of Advanced Wars and Fire Emblem. Honestly, if you turned the units generic, and added some sort of caveat to it for what class captured it determined the spawn rate and types of enemies, this would be amazing.

Memes Award - Angel of Darkness - Honestly, Revengence has enough references to your old stuff to keep the narrative relevant to what it was, but it's biggest thing for me is trashing the money man in a way that was unexpected and hilarious. Of course, Lord Wolfram's might actually be the best now that I think about this, because it caused them by accident. Halberdiers! HALBERDIER! THE BUSH! THE BUSH! Cantoforce. The hero being rescued to survive in the end... Yeah. Angel of Darkness definitely deserves this.

Strategist Award - Arrow of the Wind I felt this one had you spending more time maneuvering around thinking about the enemy movements and how thehy would react to your moves more than any other submission. In that regard, I think it deserves the strategist award. You were thinking more than 2-3 turns ahead and needed to in order to win.

Artist Award - Tale of Purt - The artwork was nice, there were plenty of portraits that were custom as well as custom animations. Although Trapped in Painful places overall has my favorite with Titanwood, I feel purt had more things overall. Painful places would definitely be 2nd though.

Jester Award - Arrow of the Wind (seriously, Sane in the membrane had me laughing as well as the archer nightmare). I felt the jokes used here were well delivered, and pretty funny. There wasn't a ton of humor, but where there was, I didn't feel any misses.

Sadist Award - F*EXE - I think this one goes without saying.

Popular Pick Award - Ragefest Revengence will probably be the most popular.

Kogasa Award - Marc's Precious? I mean I know it's technically disqualified but come on, your reaction to those green units was pretty priceless.

Edited by Augestein

My picks:

Ragefest Award -Tale of Poot

Inventor Award - Emblem Warriors

Memes Award - Lyn's revenge

Strategist Award - Emblem warriors

Artist Award - Trapped in Painful Places

Jester Award - Trapped in Painful Places

Sadist Award - F*EXE

Popular Pick Award - Tale of Poot

Kogasa Award - Uh idk

EDIT: Does anyone even remember Lyn's revenge?

Edited by CobyTheGoober

Ragefest Award - Trapped in Painful Places, because it gets the most awards from me

Inventor Award - Emblem Warriors, for making a twist on traditional seize points

Memes Award - Money Man's Last Stand, I'm not a big fan of memes but I thought it was well done

Strategist Award - Trapped in Painful Places, part 1 is incredibly well designed. The map is compact and the formation demands you make the most of every action, but you still have freedom to approach it in many different ways.

part 2, I believe between Warp/Rescue and the one turn grace you get it's impossible for it to be outright unwinnable, so it shouldn't be a point against it.

Artist Award - ℱ⋆ℰℵℰ, there's some seriously impressive visual design there

Jester Award - Trapped in Painful Places, the opening was the best ever, not to mention Titanwood

Sadist Award - ℱ⋆ℰℵℰ, duh

Popular Pick Award - Trapped in Painful Places, my favourite submission

Kogasa Award - I'm voting for uh idk, it was the most surprising submission by far

Edited by Tricky Drick

fine fine

here's my preliminary stuff:

Inventor Award - Emblem Warriors (that capture mechanic was next level)

Memes Award - Angel of Darkness (HALBERDIERS!)

Strategist Award - mine, cuz you literally cannot lose if you do everything right

Artist Award - k i can't decide on this one

Jester Award - Tale of Purt (because bread, and this: "THIS IS A MESSAGE FROM LORD PURT, I AWAIT YOU ON BREAD ISLE")

Sadist Award - F*EXE (obvious reasons)

Popular Pick Award - Ragefest Revengeance (hack was top notch)

MarkyJoe Award - up to marky obviously

Kogasa Award - Ragefest Revengeance (that 180 in quality surprised me lol)

EDIT: edited

EDIT2: edited in reasons

Ragefest Award - Tale of Purt

Inventor Award - Emblem Warriors (the concept will really shine as soon as someone gets rid of the "20 green units on the map at once" cap)

Memes Award - Lyn's Revenge (i will give you some wеed. yeeeeeee boiyeeeeee)

Strategist Award - MoneyFest (I liked how neatly it was compartmentalised)

Artist Award - ƒ·ɛхɛ (SO MUCH attention to detail; major props for this)

Jester Award - Tale of Purt (poor Purt...)

Sadist Award - ƒ·ɛхɛ (at least the sadism was deliberate)

Popular Pick Award - Emblem Warriors (while referencing previous Ragefests, it never leaned on the memes or depended on jokes to carry it through. It was actually a great chapter)

Kogasa Award - Ragefest Revengeance (that turnaround was amazing, but wot's a kogasa)

I thought there were going to be more awards to cover a wider range of appeals due to the massively increased number of submissions?

For example, the Bread Award.

Let them eat the Cake Award! >;3c

Edited by Alusq

Inventor Award - Emblem Warriors (the concept will really shine as soon as someone gets rid of the "20 green units on the map at once" cap)

You called?

Kogasa Award - Ragefest Revengeance (that turnaround was amazing, but wot's a kogasa)

Kogasa's from Touhou: Undefined Fantastic Object and feeds off of surprise.

Ragefest V: Rage for Tomorrow.

Why?

I feel like Ragefest IV has made MarkyJoe realize what the problem of frustrating submissions is, they're too time consuming and really hard to play(I'm don't mean they're difficult, I'm referring to the fact that it's very hard to sit down and play them), without trying to insult any hacker, Marky is fed up of these, honestly.

Since he has made new rules for Ragefest V, I'm sure the future submissions are going to be quite different from the ones we've seen before.

You called?

Kogasa's from Touhou: Undefined Fantastic Object and feeds off of surprise.

Yes/oh that makes sense. Coincidentally, Marćs Precious is also an undefined fantastic object.

Ragefest V: Rage of Future Pissed. MarkyJoe travels back in time to prevent Ragefest from getting too far out of hand and Titanwoods killing everything.

Your description is actually pretty close to the Titanwood origin story.

I finally went and decided a name for Ragefest V. Avraxas helped me out on that front. I've also decided that Ragefest V is not just gonna have a different ruleset than previous ragefests, but I might also give it something of a plot that creators can choose to incorporate into their submissions or not. The purpose mainly being to give the contest a better sense of continuity in its lore, as well as a slightly more defined timeline.

I'll repeat though, contestants do not need to incorporate any of this into their submission.

I'm also getting a professional artist (who you guys might know!) to make the banner for Ragefest V, and it's gonna be glorious.

But enough about Ragefest V, it's time to make the voting video!

ALRIGHT FELLAS GET YOUR SHIT TOGETHER CAUSE IT'S VOTING TIME!!!

https://youtu.be/e7IJJ8niVKI

I made a fuckload of awards despite everything cause I want as many submissions to get recognized for something. So many good submissions this year, and this is by far the best Ragefest we've ever had.

VOTE IN THE COMMENTS. NOT HERE. Discussion goes in this thread!

Also if you like the song, you can download it for free here: https://markyjoe1990.bandcamp.com/track/ragefest-is-here-today

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

was going to leave comments as well and discuss the missing rage award for overall rage but it's morning and I am not a morning person so I am too morning jaded to write a paragraph.

Wow. This is fascinating.

I'm looking at the strawpolls and I've noticed that Emblem Warriors, Tale Of Purt, and Ragefest Revengeance are all competing for first place in the Personal favorite category, but Emblem Warriors is monopolizing the strategist award, Tale of Purt The Jester award, and Ragefest Revengeance the writer award.

It's probably too early to make assumptions, but I suspect that to most people, these three awards are probably the most valued in the contest, and the ones most likely to earn you a spot as someone's personal favorite (Formerly known as the Ragefest award). I'm wondering if next contest, people will be using these statistics to help determine their approach?

I'd imagine so. One thing I've noticed about Ragefest is that the submissions build on themselves with memes/themes/gameplay stuff similar to other submissions. At the same time, submissions that break the norm and do their own thing (Emblem Warriors as an example, which also got my personal favorite vote) generally do a much better job of actually winning. All three of the "top contenders" had plenty of originality, and you can see that it resulted in better humor and everything else. ...Most of the time at least.

(I totally never left the thread or stopped looking at it, and was here the whole time. Definitely.)

Edited by TheMoniker

I think Emblem Warriors will be the most influential of those three. The other two were certainly original (that's pretty much a prerequisite for truly good comedy/writing), but they weren't groundbreaking the way Emblem Warriors was.

That submission changed the whole tone of the contest.