Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

*looks at strawpolls*

Well I'm not winning any awards, but it's nice to know that some people liked my submission

(also who the heck put it in for the sadist award? it's literally impossible to lose if you know what to do...unless they never figured out what to do)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OH DAMN. SHOTS FIRED. GET THE POPCORN, LADIES AND GENTLEMEN.

Also, tomorrow is the day that voting ends! Last minute voting commence!

Watch Ragefest IV:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLzjk0KGRtf1NMC-s_7OQYR1whx-CVSlpj

Download Ragefest IV:

http://markyjoe.com/?page=ragefest

Voting:

[VOTING OVER]

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Congratulation to viewer's choice for being the most voted for category!!!!
And to Tale of Purt for being the most voted for submission, of course.
I didn't get close in the category I was aiming for, but a medal is a medal.
That will be my inspiration for next time.

Edited by Tricky Drick

Alright, so I guess I should toss in some thoughts. Firstly, I still haven't made my choices for each award yet. I've decided that my personal favorite is gonna be two choices because you'd have to hold a fucking gun to my head to make me decide between Tale Of Purt and Ragefest Revengeance. Those two submissions are the best submissions the contest has ever had, IMHO.

The first thing I wanna bring up is that I totally feel like some submissions did not get the recognition they deserve. Particularly Trapped In Painful Places. Yeah, I know I gave that one a lot of flack when I first finished it, but my opinion of it has gotten better and better over time, and I feel like it's one of the most replayable submissions. I still stand that - *yawn* all together now - part 2's gameplay really lets the submission down, but for a while, HeyItsKyo convinced me that it was one of the most strategic submissions in the contest, and I still might give it my pick for the Strategist Award, and it's definitely getting the artist award from me. I mean. The artistic direction of the submission is fantastic really. The map in particular with its unique palette and how it looks, but I'm also referring to the musical choices and the atmosphere. Part 2 really does feel like this otherworldly, hellish purgatory, bolstered by an odd remix of Dragon's Gate I and the "inside out" palette, which looks awful, but works perfectly in-context. And I mean come on. The intro is both probably the funniest, and most relatable set up in Ragefest.

I feel like what really prevents it from winning first place in an award is just that every category had a submission that people felt out did it. I'd also argue that its age didn't help, but that sure as hell didn't stop Ephraim225 from almost winning another Ragefest with the even earlier Emblem Warriors. I also suspect that it's my own fault for getting needlessly mad at the submission after struggling with it for way longer than I like. I need to demonstrate better self control. Maybe I'll write my anger down on a text document no one will see so it's out of my system, or take up marijuana... Or stop working as a god damn Line Cook.

Out of all the submissions, this is the one I most wanted to speak up about during voting, but I didn't want to influence votes in any way. Aaaaaagh, I was so frustrated when I saw it won nothing, even against Lyn's Revenge, which is a great submission that's admittedly more even than TIPP, but I don't think it's better.

I'll post more of my opinions later. This was the main thing I wanted to get off my chest though.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I was kinda hoping to be carried for the memes award ("game that generated the most memes"), but Titanwood was no match for the devil's cabbage. #blazeit

It does illustrate my main problem as a creator, though: jack of all trades, master of none. TIPP got a "good but not great" out of everyone and didn't really wow anyone in any one category.

Before you read click the link!
https://youtu.be/LdTzXJH2HxI?t=52

This was a one great and fun ragefest!
Don't you worry brave participant. Dracula I mean MarkyJoe will once again rise from the ashes to start a new ragefest, because everyday routine is boring as hell and the heck the mighty game developers will come to fight for the glory once more!
The deadly trial will be here once more and the castles/battlefields/labyrinths/randommessedupmaps Will rise from scratch and will make a new Dawn!
But for now rest well, the night is still young, let us rest for this evening and wait for the new morning.

Wouh, I got second place on an award I deliberately tried to avoid, isn't that great ?!

Anyway, it was fun. Thank Markyjoe and every submission creator for this ragefest.^^

Before you read click the link!
https://youtu.be/LdTzXJH2HxI?t=52

This was a one great and fun ragefest!

Don't you worry brave participant. Dracula I mean MarkyJoe will once again rise from the ashes to start a new ragefest, because everyday routine is boring as hell and the heck the mighty game developers will come to fight for the glory once more!
The deadly trial will be here once more and the castles/battlefields/labyrinths/randommessedupmaps Will rise from scratch and will make a new Dawn!
But for now rest well, the night is still young, let us rest for this evening and wait for the new morning.

such beautiful words *cries in black and white film*

As hollow as it feels to see how the voting turned out. Based on the trend, it just goes to show in the end, the audience is the real Cesar that decides our fate in the Colosseum that is Ragefest.

Also means I shouldn't hold back with the real crazy shit I can come up with. Go big or go home or yolo as these young bucks would say.

On another note, now that the contest is over, will post a video showcasing all the stuff Marc missed on my submission later.

Edited by MrNight48

I thought Enderslicer's Escape was really neat and a possible contender for Strategist, though it's less strategy than puzzle which Marc generally likes less in a Ragefest and that probably didn't help, nor the fact that the game was a little on the empty side and didn't have much to make it super memorable...

Whoa, I placed in something... SADIST??? wtf

Also wanna note that I did get 4th place in Strategist, which was what my submission was originally going for. Oh well, I'm still pretty happy that I got close to placing in that category, it was one of the most competitive ones and I did pretty well IMO. Marc did not seem very enthused upon replaying my submission. I have to say that the Puzzle format is tricky to do right when it comes to Ragefest. Definitely not going for that next time around.

I personally do not consider it a placement if a submission got below 10 votes in something, but third place is still third place.

But yeah, in hindsight, I don't like Money Man's Last Stand very much, and I think that is largely due to the following factors:

- The turn limit is extremely strict

- It's hard to tell what you did wrong in each run

- There's a lot of filler turns, such as killing the pirate guarding your cell.

- Since mistakes are so subtle, putting down save states is really risky unless you use several different slots.

I also think a huge problem with the "Only One Strategy" submissions is that they have no room for player creativity or improvisation, and those are two major things that make Fire Emblem games so replayable.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I also think a huge problem with the "Only One Strategy" submissions is that they have no room for player creativity or improvisation, and those are two major things that make Fire Emblem games so replayable.

/makesnote

hmmm....this may be a slight problem, the idea I had in mind may not work with this....ah screw it i'll do it anyway.

Since the Strategist Award is about making something that's fun and creative, I consider replayability valuable, but even if we're talking strictly our first playthrough, replayability is still important. Every time you fail in Money Man's Last Stand, you have to repeat the same sequence of actions, with no room for improvement or variation except for, like, the one small adjustment you needed to make this run not fail. That makes every retry tedious and demoralizing.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990