Ragefest IV: Trolls & Tribulations

MarkyJoe1990

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now that I'm done working nearly 13 days in a row at 8-12 hours each, time to talk.

I've started recording FdRStar's submission. I'm intent on beating it today, and I might start another submission immediately after. I'm prolly gonna get a co-commentator for the rest of this submission cause uh... well... I'm running out of stuff to say.

Now for people's questions. First, I wanna make it clear that the whole "let other people LP submissions" thing isn't gonna be effective until Ragefest V, assuming I decide to actually go through with the idea in the first place. I think it's a good idea, but yes, I will be regulating it in some way to ensure high quality videos are made.

@SnakeMom: If you record the submissions, put them on youtube and I'll link to them. Alternatively, you can have me upload them on my channel so the submissions are all in the same place and easy to find, but I'd rather you get the earnings since it's your effort. =X

Though, I'm aware that you don't usually edit your videos cause of streaming. If you choose to record them, please edit the videos before uploading them, or at least give time stamps to allow us to skip parts where nothing's going on.

@TheMoniker: Screenshot LPs are generally the preferred method for LPing Fire Emblem, so I don't see a problem with this. Even if you don't get to hear the player's reaction to crazy shit, screenshot LPs tend to be a more concise read, and since they are post-production, the content is more organized as a result.

(Mind you, I prefer video LPs, but this would be a nice change of pace)

@SilverHairedFreak: I... Alright, I don't wanna sound mean, but I haven't seen your videos, and I wanna make sure submissions get in the hands of people who are experienced and capable of generating quality content out of it. I'm mainly gonna play it safe with folks like Mangs, SnakeMom, MK404, and whoever else is a well liked LPer unless I find someone in particular that I like. The LPers entering would be regulated, so if you wanna get in on this, you'll need to show me some of your stuff.

@Makalov Fanboy: The person playing would be judging. Or rather, stating their opinion. I haven't put the whole judging thing into stone yet, so for now, let's assume the submissions are gonna be as always; voting decides the winner.

Right now, the policy I have in my head is as follows:

- Get good LPers in on the idea, whether they are popular choices such as MK404 and Mangs or personal favorites such as... uh... well, I don't really have personal favorites... But basically, anyone willing to join but I don't know about can send me a couple videos and if I think they'll do a good job, I'll allow them.

- Once people know the permitted LPers, they can design AROUND them, as in, in-jokes or adhere to that LPers personal design philosophies. For example, Mangs hates hard/unfair shit and doesn't wanna deal with it, so submissions sent to him will likely be easier and fairer than the stuff sent to me on average. There's also in-jokes too. Like, my submissions have the money man and stuff, but SnakeMom would prolly get submissions where, like, she gets attacked by Brandits. Of course, people can also choose to make submissions that don't need you to know the LPer's fanbase, which is most preferable, but... I mean, people can do as they please.

- Submitters can choose which of the LPers play their submission. They can choose more than one. It's fun to see multiple perspectives on a submission.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

@SnakeMom: If you record the submissions, put them on youtube and I'll link to them. Alternatively, you can have me upload them on my channel so the submissions are all in the same place and easy to find, but I'd rather you get the earnings since it's your effort. =X

Though, I'm aware that you don't usually edit your videos cause of streaming. If you choose to record them, please edit the videos before uploading them, or at least give time stamps to allow us to skip parts where nothing's going on.

I can try ; w ;

My only video editing software is an express editor that came with my streaming program, which is why i don't really do too many fancy highlights. How expensive is stuff like adobe? I hear people use that all the time to edit stuff. It might be fun to sit down every once in a while and edit something.

But yeah, that's fine. If I can't find something to edit with, I'll just timestamps.

@SnakeMom: I use avisynth, which is free, is less buggy than pretty much any GUI-based program, and it's precise and fast. However, it's a scripting language, which means learning curve, and unless you go hunting for extra features like zoom in and whatnot, it doesn't have a lot of fancy bells and whistles.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

@SilverHairedFreak: I... Alright, I don't wanna sound mean, but I haven't seen your videos, and I wanna make sure submissions get in the hands of people who are experienced and capable of generating quality content out of it. I'm mainly gonna play it safe with folks like Mangs, SnakeMom, MK404, and whoever else is a well liked LPer unless I find someone in particular that I like. The LPers entering would be regulated, so if you wanna get in on this, you'll need to show me some of your stuff.

Hey, it's no biggie! I know you want to expose only quality content! When RFV rolls around (which obviously won't be for a while), hopefully I'll have some FE LPs up I can send in as "audition" videos.

In the meantime, I have this if you want to take a look: http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=57033&p=4159200

My new computer came in two days ago.

Holy cow, this thing's amazing~

I can now record my stuff without frame insert issues, and at 60 FPS! Also higher resolutions, but that I'm not too worried about.

Additionally, next week is looking pretty lax in terms of my hours. Only four shifts, and three days off. Things have slowed down ever since christmas, so I imagine the next few weeks are gonna be really easy at my job.

Also, I've recorded a portion of two Ragefest submissions. One I'm kinda stuck on, and the other made me really mad that I'm kind of hesitant to get back to it. It's rage inducing in all the ways that aren't interesting. Well. Aside from me getting SUPER pissed off and my co-commentator laughing his ass off.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Oh my god, only fifteen minutes of rendering!! I'm so happy ;-;

We won't be having the co-commentator in this part of the footage unfortunately, but I think 34 minutes is a healthy amount of content. I think I'm also gonna edit and render part 1 of the other submission I recorded a little bit of.

Um... but yeah, imma generate hype for part 2 of one of these submissions cause god damn, I was super furious.

Sadly, neither of them are yours, Luma. DX

Also, because I'm tired of making video previews on my outros, I've changed the outro image, updated its information, and I now use "Previous/Next" buttons.

Zero people care about this information, but I figure I should stall for time while my video uploads. (It's gonna be about another hour) ._.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

Winners don't do drugs, Marc. *Unfollows*

I feel like this game aims to be fiendishly difficult rather than troll. Like,

that village may have been a game over tile in other submissions, but here it ramps the difficulty up and gives you a cool toy.

It reminds me of playing Thracia blind.

I helped test this and I never saw the priest walk on the throne. It must have been a freak occurence.

Edited by Baldrick

I honestly can't make heads or tails of what the submission is trying to do.

Like... when you mention the village scenario. On one hand, you can argue that spawning loads of enemies is more forgiving than outright giving me a game over or some unavoidable trap, but you could make a case for the opposite since, based on what I've seen, winning some of these scenarios is hopeless anyway, so you end up wasting more time thinking you can overcome it.

I mean, once the initial rush ends, you could prolly go back to it, get the physic and deal with the lesser quantity of enemies, but man, that sounds really tedious.

I apologize if I come off as harsh when saying this, but based on my own playing experience, including the stuff you guys haven't yet seen, the submission just kinda feels unpolished and not very well designed.

Edited by MarkyJoe1990

I won't deny that even now it seems a little unpolished, not really sure what it's trying to do. It seems to try a number of traps, but they're...Kinda weird "traps"?

It does seem to create some interesting scenarios, whether by design or by you falling into them, but if you keep falling into them, odds are there's at least some design going into pushing you towards putting yourself in those awkward situations (examples: it drew you to bring your flier to the topleft fort, weakening your front lines, or down to the village, both reducing your fighting force and springing that trap). But this submission is a lot more subtle about it than others. I think that's actually a fair way of considering what it does: though it's not hyper-polished, it executes its ideas somewhat subtly (to the extent that sometimes it's not even clear what those ideas were, in particular due to its rough edges)

Edited by 47948201

I'm not going to say I understand FdRStar's process here, but I think there's also the possibility that the crazy number of reinforcements is an unexpected glitch.

In my experience with creating Tale of Purt, enemy reinforcements were a bit tricky to handle or maybe I just suck at coding.

The idea is that you have to set the units which can be called as reinforcements and then assign them a number, after which the system will load them in by their number.

When I was coding the first level with the ship defense and the wyverns, I ran into several problems were the multiple events I had set to load in more reinforcements each turn

were calling in reinforcements from the other events as well, putting an unholy amount of wyverns in the map each turn. Maybe FdRStar ran into this problem and didn't notice it?

In any case, hang in there, Marc!

Dat Lilian, though.

I can second that about reinforcements in FEXP. It's become something of an inside joke with some people that if you did something in one part of Wolfram's submission (at one point in development), it

just

flooded

the map with generic mages.

I won't deny that even now it seems a little unpolished, not really sure what it's trying to do. It seems to try a number of traps, but they're...Kinda weird "traps"?

It does seem to create some interesting scenarios, whether by design or by you falling into them, but if you keep falling into them, odds are there's at least some design going into pushing you towards putting yourself in those awkward situations (examples: it drew you to bring your flier to the topleft fort, weakening your front lines, or down to the village, both reducing your fighting force and springing that trap). But this submission is a lot more subtle about it than others. I think that's actually a fair way of considering what it does: though it's not hyper-polished, it executes its ideas somewhat subtly (to the extent that sometimes it's not even clear what those ideas were, in particular due to its rough edges)

Funny, I feel the same however I don't really know if this was really intentional, though players/observers can learn from it in creating their own chapter..

But <5 minutes into the video I was pretty convinced its was going to be tedious and/or unpolished.

Alright, so, the many reinforcements.

Those floods were caused by two differents events each. One is turn based, another area-based and there is one for visiting the village. You just happened to trigger two of them at the same time leading to those difficult situations. I tried to design the chapter to create interesting situations if the player advance slowly but steadily but I may have failed, haha^^

For the priest, i believe I ran into this problem once and I tried to fix it but the situation did not come back so I couldn't see it didn't work.

Edited by FdRstar

Might the priest issue be caused by Sophia getting killed one turn earlier than intended, on her phase, by a crit counter, after hitting him? So the boss isn't scripted to move to the throne yet in that turn, and the healer moves to the best spot (throne) from which to heal him.

I can second that about reinforcements in FEXP. It's become something of an inside joke with some people that if you did something in one part of Wolfram's submission (at one point in development), it

just

flooded

the map with generic mages.

Brings up memories.... Right Mari?